AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-26, 04:59   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Hanasaku Iroha - Character Discussion - Matsumae Ohana

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Matsumae Ohana related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Hanasaku Iroha fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2011-04-26, 10:03   Link #2
Peanutbutter

So far after 4 episodes, my opinion of Ohana can be summed up as a dere Taiga from Toradora.

It's hard to hate such a character.
Old 2011-04-26, 10:24   Link #3
Koi-miru
*stare*

Now personally, I find Ohana to be good character. Though theres something about her that I kinda dislike atm :/

Said something being the recent episode when she bad-mouthed Tohru in front of Minko in the bathhouse.

In her defense, she wanted to try to improve the relationship between herself and Minko. But I kinda dislike the fact that she assumed that Minko dislikes Tohru as well despite the almost obvious hints in front of her >_>

Last edited by Koi-miru; 2011-04-26 at 10:26. Reason: error in phrasing.
Old 2011-04-26, 11:43   Link #4
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koi-miru View Post
In her defense, she wanted to try to improve the relationship between herself and Minko. But I kinda dislike the fact that she assumed that Minko dislikes Tohru as well despite the almost obvious hints in front of her >_>
You mean like Tohru always screaming at her, her always apologizing and looking down, not to mention her always grumpy attitude. Those hints?
Old 2011-04-26, 15:16   Link #5
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I've said it a lot in the general thread, but she rocks. She's smart, witty, and freely speaks her mind. Her reactions to other people are always humorous and overall she just feels like the type of person you'd want to watch succeed. People simply cannot resist her presence despite what they may claim, mainly because the entire environment of the show comes alive with her presence without being too over the top.

She's pretty much why I watch this show.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-04-26, 15:20   Link #6
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
She's pretty much why I watch this show.
Second this.
Old 2011-04-26, 17:56   Link #7
Koi-miru
*stare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
You mean like Tohru always screaming at her, her always apologizing and looking down, not to mention her always grumpy attitude. Those hints?
Actually, what Minko said at the rooftop is already a giant obvious hint that shes likes Tohru. By which Ohana did not get because her view of Tohru isn't very good (She kinda admits this herself shortly after hearing Minko say that)

Now the only thing that bugs me is that Ohana assumed that Minko dislikes Tohru just because she has a negative view of him, which just seemed kinda messed up TBH

(Don't get me wrong though, I still like her character but the recent episode didn't exactly do her well in my books..)
Old 2011-04-26, 18:14   Link #8
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Ohana didn’t get our birds eye view of the scenes, and given how she goofed up a few times and has this impression Minko is mad because of her goof-ups, her assessment is perfectly normal.
Old 2011-04-26, 19:02   Link #9
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Ohana reminds me of a less eccentric, more down-to-earth version of Isarugi Noe. Happy, bubbly, outgoing, not scared to open her mind, but isn't crazy . In my opinion, it's pretty hard to hate such a character. If I was nitpicky, it could be argued that she is a bit of a busy-body and sticks her nose into other's people's business a bit too much.
Old 2011-04-28, 20:10   Link #10
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Hmm, I was just thinking about this from my post in the ep4 thread, but do you think Ohana values Kou more than her mother? By no means am I saying that Satsuki was a bad parent(well, that's another story ), but given the amount of screen time(Kou gets more), and her different reactions to the email in ep1(Satsuki) and ep3(Kou) as well as her various perceptions of Satsuki throughout these 4 eps compared to Kou(wasn't much, but it was all positive memories) gives me the impression that Kou's presence is more important than Satsuki's.
Old 2011-04-29, 15:11   Link #11
Seihai
スマイリウム

Well, at the moment she cares (thinks) more about Kou than her mother, so you're right there. But I don't think you should compare such relationships and their values. Wife or daughter? Best friend or closest relative? When it's not crucial, I'd never consider thinking about it. Maybe a good example would be Bakemonogatari where Senjougahara is Araragi's girlfriend, but at the same time Shinobu is the (a) person he would definitely die for. Saying that he values one more than the other is just... O_O
Old 2011-04-29, 22:24   Link #12
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Eh, I don't think she values her mother that much at all.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-05-04, 18:21   Link #13
Midnight Bliss
Radiant as the sun;
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Midnight Bliss
Favorite character. She's definitely different from other main heroines. She's clever, sneaky, smart, has attitude, and stands up for herself and knows what's right. She's not like a typical main heroine would be, tragically trying to earn her mom's love back in this situation or complaining or crying her eyes out about her situation. No, she knows how bad of a mom her mom is, takes it all in and accepts in, and grows stronger from it. She's independent and she sucks it all up and does everything she needs to do. Even with living the imaginably hard life she is after being abandoned by her own mother to a man, she still helps others and puts people in their right place. I love strong characters like this. She's a very nice and sweet yet strong girl.

Last edited by Midnight Bliss; 2011-05-04 at 18:40.
Old 2011-05-04, 18:52   Link #14
icatero
well, okay

She's pretty refreshing as a main character. Her naivety when it comes to topics like sex is adorable. "Her.. what spot? Um.."
Old 2011-05-05, 19:35   Link #15
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
Ohana reminds me of a less eccentric, more down-to-earth version of Isarugi Noe. Happy, bubbly, outgoing, not scared to open her mind, but isn't crazy . In my opinion, it's pretty hard to hate such a character. If I was nitpicky, it could be argued that she is a bit of a busy-body and sticks her nose into other's people's business a bit too much.
I agree with this.

One thing I'll add is that I think Ohana is the sort of person that can't stand having somebody actively disliking her, and generally likes everybody she knows to be on good terms with her. She doesn't like having enemies, or people on bad terms with her.

I think that's a big part of the reason why she tries so hard to win over Minchi, and why she was pretty forgiving towards Jiromaru.
Old 2011-05-12, 04:39   Link #16
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
I'll be completely open about this. I'm absolutely in love with Ohana right now. She's super witty, quite intelligent and perhaps wise for her age although she's got a lot of learning to do about herself and how to deal with others. I suppose the biggest thing I like about her is how much I can relate to her, like when she was at odds with her grandmother for the way she was having a go at Minko. I really thought like her in that it was unfair. I really also admired how she willingly took the blame after cleaning the wannabe-writer's room and losing the drafts instead of saying Nako didn't tell her exactly what ought to be done. She's a really strong character, albeit somewhat presumptuous at first but she can only get better. She's easily becoming my favorite anime girl
Old 2011-05-12, 18:28   Link #17
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Man, I have to admit the fact that she's always emotionally honest and speaks her mind sets her apart from many people. She also wants to learn about everyone's true feelings, no matter how hostile they are. But you know, when I think of other characters that I like that have this trait... I suddenly realized who it was.

Spoiler:

Not that I think Minko or the others need their asses kicked. But it wouldn't hurt.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-05-13, 00:39   Link #18
Unknown Soldier
:D

Ohana is Mai Waifu.
Old 2011-05-13, 13:31   Link #19
Kurumix
Lord of Cute Things

Location: In the land of which pie falls from the sky, and lakes flow chocolate
Send a message via MSN to Kurumix
one of the cutest things i have ever seen in a anime XD

shes one of my favorite chars of all time and is awesome
i like pretty much every feature of her

the anime itself isnt bad in any reguard, but she really creates the mood of the anime (well she is the main char anyway xD)
Old 2011-05-13, 19:43   Link #20
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

she's a wonderful character. i love her somewhat realistic naiveness, her bubbly personality, and how her voice fits perfectly with her character.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters