AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-03-07, 02:20   Link #1
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Big Hero 6 [2014 Animated Disney Film]

While not yet officially announced by Disney themselves, it has been recently revealed this past February that Walt Disney Animation Studios is doing a theatrical animated film adaptation of Marvel's obscure hero group the Big Hero 6 in an attempt to bring them into public view.

Who are the Big Hero 6? They're a team of six Japanese mutants who work for the Japanese government and some of them have ties to the X-Men. They are as follows:

Sunfire (Shiro Yoshida) - A mutant who can fly and fights using plasma generated from his body. His design is inspired by 80's-era shounen manga protagonists.

Silver Samurai (Kenuichio Harada) - A mutant who can charge his sword with energy to slice through practically anything. He is based around traditional samurai armor and weapons.

GoGo Tamago (Leiko Tanaka) - A mutant who has the ability to change her body into a ball of energy and hurl herself at high speeds. She is inspired from super sentai heroes.

Honey Lemon (Aiko Miyazaki) - A mutant who possesses a purse than has an infinite amount of space inside it. Her design was inspired from Cutey Honey, a superhero-like magical girl.

Hiro Takachio - A young 13 year old mutant who possesses intelligence on the level of some of the greatest minds in the world. Looks just like a normal human boy.

Baymax - A robotic creation of Hiro's that acts as a father-figure and bodyguard to him. He is inspired by mecha robots and has the ability to transform into a dragon-like appearance.

No footage ore further details are currently available at this time, but the film will debut in theatres November 2014.

SOURCE: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/02/...4-release-date

----------------------------

Disney's starting to utilize that Marvel licence eh? Now that their animation studio is doing a movie with Marvel's characters. Oh well, I'm not complaining.~

The interesting thing I find is that all 6 are Japanese heroes. It gives me a feeling it may do something Teen Titans-esque with the animation.
Old 2013-05-14, 17:40   Link #2
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

The film's existence has been officially confirmed and the release date for theatres is November 7th, 2014. Here's a slight introductory synopsis of the concept:

Quote:
Set in a fictional metropolis called San Fransokyo (a portmanteau inspired by San Francisco and Tokyo), Big Hero 6 will be centered on a young prodigy named Hiro Hamada and his self-created robot Baymax, both of whom uncover a criminal plot and must join a team of inexperienced crime fighters.
And also, a 30 second clip of some of the city to be featured in the movie "San Fransokyo":

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

It's CG animation, but oh well. Still looks impressive. As to be expected from Disney.~
Old 2013-05-14, 20:09   Link #3
Lost Cause

Didn't the Silver Samurai get his own series?

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 21:00   Link #4
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

very intresting

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 22:06   Link #5
Destined_Fate

I support helping obscure heroes get some help.

I had lost faith in that when DC butchered Cassandra Cain than tossed her under the rug but this has at least renewed my faith in Marvel for doing this. DC? Still not happy over their treatment of Cassandra.

Last edited by Destined_Fate; 2013-05-14 at 22:20.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-16, 01:25   Link #6
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

It looks nothing like Japan. As usual.
It looks like one of those generic "Asian supermix town" featured prominently in so many western works lol
Old 2013-05-16, 01:50   Link #7
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Sounds like it is suppose to look like San Francisco with an Asian theme to it.
Old 2013-05-16, 02:17   Link #8
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Sounds like it is suppose to look like San Francisco with an Asian theme to it.
It's supposed to be San Francisco + Tokyo
But in reality it looks like San Francisco + Hong Kong from Giant Robo.
Old 2013-05-16, 02:43   Link #9
HasuMasu
*Artist

'San Fransokyo'?

Oh my God.
Old 2013-05-16, 03:42   Link #10
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

^ Sangensoukyo? It really looks more like China or Hong Kong than Japan.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-22, 12:19   Link #11
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

First official trailer for the movie featuring its version of Hiro and Baymax:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

BTW, the February 2015 debut is for the UK. North America's is still later this year.
Old 2014-11-15, 01:06   Link #12
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Just watch it. Baymax Remind me to chamber ;_;

It was really interesting. The story is predictable but the action and the visual is really awesome . They really nail baymax as adorable Robot companion

Last edited by RRW; 2014-11-15 at 01:53.
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-16, 20:47   Link #13
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
It looks nothing like Japan. As usual.
It looks like one of those generic "Asian supermix town" featured prominently in so many western works lol
I read your comments about two months before the film got released in my country yesterday. Hence, when today I went to see this film I was wary of those details in advance.

I have to admit that the film delivers enjoyable moments and good sibling moments betwen Hiro and Tadashi onscreen.

Furthermore, I would have preferred if the Baymax's armor design have had a feeling more akin to the heroes of the Ultra Series shows.

Lastly, usually I'm not a fan per se of Man of Action works (i.e. Ben 10 ), however, the comic-style animation featured in the ending credits struck me as awesome.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-17, 04:19   Link #14
Esclair

Really fun movie. San Fransokyo pretty much just looks like San Francisco except if you increase the Japanese American population to 50% or so. It's a very nice aesthetic.

The powers of the team members are also pretty interesting and make for some unique fighting styles that looked great. Can't wait for the inevitable sequel.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-17, 11:25   Link #15
james0246

This was a very fun and almost wonderful film. Sadly, all the superhero nonsense ruined a perfectly good drama about a grief process for a young boy....

Joking aside, there is much to love about this film. The overwhelming diversity of the characters (as far as I can tell, there are only 4 Caucasians in the film), with the main cast being represented by two Caucasians, one Asian, one Black and the last Asian-American (and Baymax). There is something quite wonderful about how easily these characters are represented, and even more, how very little is ever made about their representation. And besides the phrase "Woman Up!" (which is fun all by itself) used by Tomago, even the presence of two women on the team has little bearing on the story (in a good way...though it is nice that all the female character sin the film are quite individual and overwhelmingly competent). This is a just a group of friends who come together do to a traumatic moment. That's not to say a Latino/Hispanic character couldn't have been thrown in (which is weird because the character of Honey Lemon is voiced by a Latino/Hispanic actress) , and of course there is still the whole white-washing problem (why couldn't Hiro simply be the son of Japanese immigrants, why does he have to be half-white? etc), but overall this is a very nice change of pace from the constant barrage of white characters that generally fill animated screens.

Additionally, Baymax is a powerful character unto himself. Scott Adsit, best know for his roles on 30 Rock and his voice work on Moral Orel, does a superb job as the lovable and kind health care technician Baymax. It's such a change and departure from the comics that I wasn't sure how I would feel about the character, but the writers and Adsit managed to completely re-invent the character in a new and unique way that completely blew away any trepidation I might have had.

What's more, the film is awash in splendid sights and sounds. San Fransokyo may be an uninitially silly name, but there is a distinct combination of Tokyo and San Fransisco applied to this design (the hills and Bay area represent San Fran, but the basic cluttered city streets are clearly reminiscent of Tokyo) that greatly adds to the experience of the film. I still think the setting is a little silly, but there was at least an attempt to combine the two distinct cities into a new metropolis.

Sadly, what really pushes the film down are the super hero elements. The action sequences are certainly exciting, with one key sequence building up to a powerful dramatic moment, but overall it all felt perfunctory and seemingly of little interest to the writers (the fact that 3D printers can seemingly create any substance and technology Hiro invents in the film seem like an indicator that the writers simply didn't care how these superhero abilities came about so much as they cared how they affected the various team members). The heart and power of the film are Baymax and Hiro's relationship, and any time armour is applied to Baymax, there relationship takes a dip toward the uninteresting.

As a brief aside, the 3D is just okay. It's not bad, but the created world just doesn't pop as much as it could.

This is a very strong film well worth the price of admission. 82/100.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-21, 18:40   Link #16
HeartlessEponine
~Love and Fire~

Really loved this movie! To the point that I had to buy Baymax in the nearby Toy R Us after watching the movie.

I haven't hoarded any images or fanart to satisfy these feels I haven't went to tumblr for awhile so --- :x

HeartlessEponine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-19, 22:56   Link #17
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Why Big Hero 6 Is Upsetting Some People in South Korea

Really South Korea?
Old 2015-01-20, 00:16   Link #18
BPD Renegade

^ Wow. Just, wow.

Disney shouldn't be making changes to cater to South Korean racism anyway. It's a movie about Japanese characters in Japan. If a few anal South Koreans want throw a shit fit over it, then just don't even bring the movie into the country and see how the rest of the citizens who don't give two shits react.

I don't understand how in this day and age, there's still so much racial animosity lingering. Even Akatsuki no Yona had to have some disclaimer, because apparently, some Japanese were annoyed by the Korean flavor. Amongst older generations, it's understandable (people about to croak still blaming all Japanese for Pearl Harbor, etc.), but it's not something I'd expect to see in something tailored for kids. If everyone with an ancestral grudge decided to hate each other because "your great-grandparents ____ my great-grandparents", we'd be in an eternal WWIII.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-20, 17:08   Link #19
HeartlessEponine
~Love and Fire~

What why and how? Ugh! I remember that people were ranting how "too much" Frozen is when it comes to women and incest yuri tendencies.

Anyways, I find it rather funny that Disney had to change things to cater these types of people. Better that they distribute their movies to other countries instead if that's the case.

Wait-- there are still some countries who haven't premiered Big Hero 6 yet?! O_O

Last edited by HeartlessEponine; 2015-01-20 at 18:40.
HeartlessEponine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-20, 17:21   Link #20
Ghiest Cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlessEponine View Post
What why and how? Ugh! I remember that people were ranting how "too much" Frozen is when it comes to women and incest yuri tendencies.

Anyways, I find it rather funny that Disney had to chance things to cater these types of people. Better that they distribute their movies to other countries instead if that's the case.

Wait-- there are still some countries who haven't premiered Big Hero 6 yet?! O_O
I miss the time when their only comments are beauty and the beast is Stockholm syndrome and the fairy is evil for punishing a boy who listen to all time knowledge "don't let strangers in" and also punishing the servants.

Comments and analysis about Disney animation is not new though. It just with the spread of the internet that it is known. There is also alleged subliminal messages.
Ghiest Cid is offline   Reply With Quote