AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-17, 21:42   Link #261
Vena
Carpe Diem

No new idea is truly original, no original idea is truly new.

Tautology...
Old 2012-01-17, 21:42   Link #262
Xakanis

Goddamnit, this almost made me tear up. All those scenes with cutesy stuff, and heartwarming family moments, and then they drop this...

Didn't expect that, I thought this would strictly be a fanservice/comedy show.
Xakanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 21:56   Link #263
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
@Xakanis: There is another adult/sarcastic thread that will help you get over all that overwhelming sentiment
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 22:45   Link #264
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

well oh my indeed when it nice, fun, & heart warming till plane on no.

really bit more slice of life & drama to watch give really i do feel going watch til the end.

especially heart warming really indeed make you want shed a tear for it.

indeed it got me stay with it.

cause it indeed gonig to add slice of life drama on it & oh please for who know what reasons let this series be dub in english someday.

yes i do got gut feeling it might be dub cause i'm sure in my heart on it.
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 22:49   Link #265
O-cyan

By the way, it is here that it is a model of the university that commutes Yuuta.
There is a station in the monorail seen with OP.
Let's go with the Google earth.
35 38.50 N 139 24.50 E

Moreover, it is in south exit at this Tachikawa Station to call with the elder sister in the second story.
35 41.83 N 139 24.80 E
O-cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 23:06   Link #266
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Anther lukewarm episode

And Sentai gets this one and subs it
Old 2012-01-17, 23:24   Link #267
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Sorry if this has been asked before but how many chapters have been released?
Old 2012-01-17, 23:36   Link #268
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
Psst. just between you and me: For a long time now, no anime had been original.
I have to disagree. There were some pretty original anime shows in 2011.

Steins;Gate, Mawaru Penguin Drum, and Madoka Magica were all pretty stand-out and different from whatever one would consider "generic anime".

Quote:
That... is your own problem.
Not really. I'd say a fair number of viewers, including myself, share many of Reckoner's viewpoints when it comes to this anime.

The real problem here is that this anime is trying to appeal to people into Usagi Drop-esque material as well as people into lolicon-fanservice, and there's significant taste divisions between the two, as disagreements on this thread makes abundantly clear. Those two elements aren't the easiest to mix, especially as evenly as this show is so far trying to mix them. I mean, neither element is truly predominating yet.

There's just enough lolicon-fanservice in this to be annoying/distracting to some viewers who want something more like Usagi Drop, but I actually see how there might not be enough for people who just want something like KissXSis. Papa no Iu Koto would probably be better off picking one or the other as the predominant element, and playing down the other element to its bare minimum. Instead, it's so far about half-and-half between "harem hijinks" lolicon-fanservice and that heartwarming Usagi Drop feel. As much as I like the more Usagi Drop-esque parts, it sometimes is quite jarring to switch back and forth between that and the "harem hijinks" lolicon-fanservice.

It's a shame, because I find myself liking the characters. If I decide to watch beyond Episode 2, it'll be because of the characters. The three girls really are pretty likeable.
Old 2012-01-18, 00:01   Link #269
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I have to disagree. There were some pretty original anime shows in 2011.

Steins;Gate, Mawaru Penguin Drum, and Madoka Magica were all pretty stand-out and different from whatever one would consider "generic anime".
Steins;Gate and Madoka Magica isn't original. Both seems like deconstructions. In addition, SG feels like "The Butterfly Effect". Decons are rare, but not exactly unheard of.

I cannot judge MPD, though, as I didn't watch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Not really. I'd say a fair number of viewers, including myself, share many of Reckoner's viewpoints when it comes to this anime.

The real problem here is that this anime is trying to appeal to people into Usagi Drop-esque material as well as people into lolicon-fanservice, and there's significant taste divisions between the two, as disagreements on this thread makes abundantly clear. Those two elements aren't the easiest to mix, especially as evenly as this show is so far trying to mix them. I mean, neither element is truly predominating yet.

There's just enough lolicon-fanservice in this to be annoying/distracting to some viewers who want something more like Usagi Drop, but I actually see how there might not be enough for people who just want something like KissXSis. Papa no Iu Koto would probably be better off picking one or the other as the predominant element, and playing down the other element to its bare minimum. Instead, it's so far about half-and-half between "harem hijinks" lolicon-fanservice and that heartwarming Usagi Drop feel. As much as I like the more Usagi Drop-esque parts, it sometimes is quite jarring to switch back and forth between that and the "harem hijinks" lolicon-fanservice.

It's a shame, because I find myself liking the characters. If I decide to watch beyond Episode 2, it'll be because of the characters. The three girls really are pretty likeable.
I don't think the fanservice is that much of a big thing. Comparing both LN, manga and anime, the lolicon-fanservice seems to fit in, seeing as this is of the comedy genre too.

But maybe it's just because I didn't watch UD, instead, I read the manga. And while people tries to compare the two, I on the other hand, is unable to due to differences.

1. Situation: while they're about guys adopting kids, UD has the girl being the daughter of his grandfather and of another woman. This of course, makes the story awkward and serious. On the other hand, Papakiki has the guy takes care of his nephews while being a college student, with the intention of following her sister's footsteps and making true to his promise of taking care of them. While it does have it serious moments, Papakiki has already setup that two of the girls he's taking care of isn't related to him, and the eldest is infatuated with him. This, being planned out as comedy, of course fanservice appears, but not in a big way.

2. Plot: I pointed out earlier that while the two has similar, not "the same", plots, the difference is that UD is a heartwarming drama, and Papakiki is a heartwarming comedy.

So in short, the best way to enjoy this is to set aside UD comparison inside a box and into a drawer and just enjoy it as it is.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 00:04   Link #270
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Bunny Drop did it better.

However, Bunny Drop was A+ quality, so it's easy to blame this one for being a B-

I'll still watch it and probably enjoy it. Hopefully the fanservice will be kept to a minimum.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 01:07   Link #271
Akarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cyan View Post
By the way, it is here that it is a model of the university that commutes Yuuta.
There is a station in the monorail seen with OP.
Let's go with the Google earth.
35 38.50 N 139 24.50 E

Moreover, it is in south exit at this Tachikawa Station to call with the elder sister in the second story.
35 41.83 N 139 24.80 E
Found it! Thanks for the coordinates. Now it's time to explore the area via google map.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=35+41....mLHY3nmAWhqOVU

Last edited by Akarin; 2012-01-18 at 01:20.
Akarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 01:28   Link #272
Sumeragi
Banned

About all those fanservice/story clash debates: Can we do that after like we're at episode 4?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 01:42   Link #273
novalysis

Nope, the very schizophrenic nature of episode 2 compels me to speak out on it too.

To the posters who have argued that this anime attempts to stradle both the Harem Genre (with it's Ecchi elements of Fanservice), with Slice of Life and Family- Usagi Drop esque premises and atmosphere, I would have to wholeheartedly agree with you.

The script writing is quite sloppy, the pacing is poor. The Ecchi is all over the place, wrecks the very atmosphere and mood that the anime is trying to convey. Now, while I've heard that the Source Material leans more towards Usagi Drop in terms of material, it seems that the anime adaptors can't make up their mind.

As such, you have a hoodgepoddle of typically "stale" comedic Harem elements, like our Main Lead walking into the bathroom with a semi-dressed girl, coupled with attempts to be heart-warming such as the meteor scene coupled by an attempt to convey tragedy. Problem is, once you throw in the first element, the last two disintegrates into a very poor slush of narm. Unfortunately, I don't think the adaptors are that skilled at avoiding that pit-fall. Perhaps in a hands of a very good director, all these elements can be made to fit in naturally, but this isn't clearly the case here.

It's main saving grace is that it's characters and it's premise are quite interesting. I think that the Echii Harem Haters who still stick with this anime do so in hopes that there's a Usagi Drop waiting for them after the first two or three episodes. Usagi drop with out protagonist as a College Student.

But yes, I don't think we are going to withdraw our knifes. If by episode 4, the disconnect between Fanservice and Family remains THAT jarring, I'd expect alot of people to start dropping this anime.

The main challenge of this anime is that you have a main character who is a shade much more interesting than your ordinary High School Student. You have a situation akin to the premise of Usagi drop, involving orphaned relations. You have three of them, instead of one, each of them with greatly contrasting characters, and contributing very different vibes.

Now, this can be an interesting series. But it can so terribly go wrong if the adaptation is unable to balance and fit together all those disparate elements. You'd need quite a good deal of considered and strong script-writing, and careful thought put into the adaptation for that, and unfortunately, in this age of shoddily written Harem anime plots, I fear that this is not the case for this anime.

It's going to end up a Train-wreck like the second half of Angel Beats, if the second episode is any indication. When it's trying to replicate the success of Madoka Magica by using a bait and switch premise, where an anime that seems to be going down the Harem drain proves to be a Slice of Life and Healing anime about family told from the eyes of a College Student.

The main source of optimism is that its' 26 Episodes, and not an anime original plot, with a very substantial source material.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 01:48   Link #274
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Usagi Drop and this show are on different genre dunno why they compare it... also ain't the source material(LN) has fanservice too.

but then i agree they failed to deliver that scene for me
Old 2012-01-18, 01:54   Link #275
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Well, first anime of the year that brought me to tears. Think it's gonna be my #1 of the cour, though with its loli fanservice, it's going to be hard to sell it to my peers to give it a shot.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 01:59   Link #276
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblitz View Post
Usagi Drop and this show are on different genre dunno why they compare it... also ain't the source material(LN) has fanservice too.

but then i agree they failed to deliver that scene for me
Not exactly. This show seems to be trying to straddle multiple genres, of which the Healing-Family type drama that is Usagi Drop is one of which. (And a huge component of)

My bigger gripes here is that the Fan-service is done quite shoddily too, so far. Of course, it might change a few episodes down the line, but I thought that Episode 2 suffered from identity crisis, and tried shoving too many elements into one episode.

One good example is how the episodes' main plot point get's drowned out by previous examples of very silly fan-service scenes like the inexplicable focus on Sora's bath.... and the excessive dwelling on that scene, which would have been better spent on the true emotional climax of this episode. The worst was Yuuta bathing with his sister. After such a piece of shameless, sloppy, poorly executed for the heck of it fanservice, the shooting star scene felt positively stupid, unreal and out of place.

They aren't even trying to build up to the very critical plot relevant climax, for crying out loud.

Not all shows can be shoehorned into a single genre. This is such a show.

Quote:
Well, first anime of the year that brought me to tears. Think it's gonna be my #1 of the cour, though with its loli fanservice, it's going to be hard to sell it to my peers to give it a shot.
I'd say that in terms of deceptive premises, its' up there with Madoka Magica, and possibly C3.

That's the whole problem. If this get's popular enough for a abridge series, I suspect it'll be well known among Moe, Echii and Harem haters only via that.

Last edited by novalysis; 2012-01-18 at 02:11.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 02:03   Link #277
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblitz View Post
Yes, but it isn't very significant and only played for laughs.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 03:38   Link #278
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I find myself with many criticisms similar to Reckoner's here.

First, the end twist was a flop for me. Not so much because of the lack of emotion Reckoner cites, but just because it screams "WHAT A TWIST!!!! CRY HERE!!!!" in a way that makes Key's works look like paragons of subtlety. The transition was godawful. They should have ended with the news reports coming in and left the funeral for next episode, would have been way better.

Second, the fanservice. To be honest, it didn't bug me until I realized Miu is supposed to be only ten and hence much more loli than I originally thought. I put up with the lolicon fanservice in Ro-Kyu-Bu! because I liked that show, but honestly that kind of fanservice is a bit squick and really does not fit well with some of the other elements present in this show.

I must also make note of Sora's interest in Yuuta. I often find it adorable when a young girl crushes on an older guy (Nadeko in Bakemonogatari, Tomoka in Ro-Kyu-Bu!) and occassionally even support pairings with a substantial age difference (ie. Kyouhei and Hazuki in Moon Phase). But what I've seen of her so far combined the way the OP emphasizes her "tsun" and how the show's overall leanings makes me worry that her obssession is going to become a running gag - and one that will get stale fast.

All of which annoys me because there's a lot Now that being said, I was actually enjoying this show a lot before the WHAT A TWIST!!! moment in spite of all this. Character concepts are pretty good, there's been some decent cute and funny bits, and the Engrish in the "Twinkle, twinkle" scene was a riot.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 04:32   Link #279
Dahak86
Classics never age

not bad, not bad -- One of the few anime this season I actually like and cannot wait for.

but I'm really not getting all the fanservice-complaints when there's barely any of it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Lets not kid ourselves here. There is exactly one reason why they have pantsu shots of these young girls, as well as that shower scene in this show. Regardless of what the main character is thinking, it's meant for certain audiences to get off on that type of shit.
Y'know, that's kinda disrespectful towards people who like that stuff...
how about being more polite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
But yes, I don't think we are going to withdraw our knifes. If by episode 4, the disconnect between Fanservice and Family remains THAT jarring, I'd expect alot of people to start dropping this anime.
perhaps that's for the better. (read: less non-sensical complaints)
never bothered with Usagi Drop, by the way.
Old 2012-01-18, 04:40   Link #280
O-cyan

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost My Music View Post
Found it! Thanks for the coordinates. Now it's time to explore the area via google map.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=35+41....mLHY3nmAWhqOVU
Such a monorail is actually driven.
Please refer to HP of the Tama monorail.

http://www.tama-monorail.co.jp/23shasin.html
O-cyan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novel adaptation, romantic comedy, shounen