AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

View Poll Results: Suisei no Gargantia - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 10 10.99%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 18 19.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 33 36.26%
7 out of 10 : Good 20 21.98%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 5.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.20%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 3.30%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-06, 09:03   Link #121
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
The last episode had an actual point, this.... Was just pointless fan service junk.
The fanservice is the point though. So, you can't say that this episode is pointless .

Quote:
I expected better, but then again I am holding out for possible skull smashing or spine ripping.
There's a possibility that you'll be holding out forever as even the first kill-em-all episode 1 don't have any skull-smashing and spine ripping. You'll get better luck watching movies like The Expendables or The Raid: Redemption.
Old 2013-05-06, 09:07   Link #122
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
Does anyon know the English translation for the novel's Japanese summary per the link?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
Oh, and 1 last thing:
http://gargantia.jp/#kaito_2

The above interview link has 2 images of Avalon, the Alliance space colony, as introduced in episode 1 of Gargantia.

The 2 diagrams are labelled in Japanese, but I am unable to read Japanese. I would like to ask if anyone knows how to translate the writing on the diagrams into English, as I am curious as to Avalon's construction.

PS. Scroll down to find images.
There is no Japanese summary for the novel. It just talks about the people involved in writing it, and the cover illustrator, and it confirms that it's a prequel story about a younger Ledo. That's all.

As for Avalon, here's what I can help you with:

At the top of the structure is a Super Electromagenetic Shield which doubles as a Thrust Reverser, followed by Electromagnetic Shield Retention Rings holding it in place. Then there is a Ultra High Density Solid of Revolution with an Accretion Disc around it.

In the residential zone, there are two sets of 12 Revolving Residential Areas each. These are held in place with Residential Area Support Rings. "Filter Sails" are installed in the space between the residential areas and the plasma running through the center. The sails are made of a film which protects the residential areas from harmful radiation emitting from the plasma.

At the bottom of the structure are Power Control Rings followed by Plasma Acceleration Rings at the very bottom.
Old 2013-05-06, 09:11   Link #123
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
There is no Japanese summary for the novel. It just talks about the people involved in writing it, and the cover illustrator, and it confirms that it's a prequel story about a younger Ledo. That's all.

As for Avalon, here's what I can help you with:

At the top of the structure is a Super Electromagenetic Shield which doubles as a Thrust Reverser, followed by Electromagnetic Shield Retention Rings holding it in place. Then there is a Ultra High Density Solid of Revolution with an Accretion Disc around it.

In the residential zone, there are two sets of 12 Revolving Residential Areas each. These are held in place with Residential Area Support Rings. "Filter Sails" are installed in the space between the residential areas and the plasma running through the center. The sails are made of a film which protects the residential areas from harmful radiation emitting from the plasma.

At the bottom of the structure are Power Control Rings followed by Plasma Acceleration Rings at the very bottom.

Thank you so much!
Old 2013-05-06, 09:13   Link #124
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

Quote:
So, you can't say that this episode is pointless
I can if the fan service amounted to nothing.
Quote:
There's a possibility that you'll be holding out forever as even the first kill-em-all episode 1 don't have any skull-smashing and spine ripping.
I can settle on other things like bone crushing or squashed by debris or vaporization or whatever else.
Old 2013-05-06, 09:15   Link #125
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Then there is a Ultra High Density Solid of Revolution with an Accretion Disc around it.
It looks like it's a black hole. Anyway this discussion should continue on the technology thread where I posted the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Examples: Leeron Littner (Gurren Lagann) and Bobby Margot (Macross Frontier).
Leeron is a pretty cool guy, but I was still a bit put off by the usual stereotype: "He's gay! Watch your back (literally), he wants to get in your pants!"

That wasn't really that bad in TTGL though, but here in this episode it was really overboard, plus those Okama were absolutely horrible and insane.
I restate that it's not like the joke itself was absolutely bad, it's that it was pushed way too far.

And beside the joke, the whole scene was pretty stupid and irrational, especially with that whole chase up to the giant water sprinkler.

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2013-05-06 at 09:26.
Old 2013-05-06, 09:21   Link #126
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I can if the fan service amounted to nothing.
Fanservice itself is the goal/destination/purpose though. So once again, this episode has a point, namely: fanservice
Old 2013-05-06, 09:34   Link #127
zztop

Now thats just irresponsible. You don't just leave your giant sentient mecha to lie facedown outside, exposed to the elements, after you're used his surface area as a giant hotplate.

I keep imagining the transvestites voiced by British comedians Matt Lucas and David Walliams in the style of BBC’s Little Britain rubbish tranny characters,Emily and Florence:

‘You MUST work with us,spaceboy, since you have male strength, and we are but weak, feeble ladies!Who like doing ladies things!…and sh*t.’

Here's a clip of the 'ladies' at work, guest starring pop singer Robbie Williams:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ8e6UVpLNg

PS. Little Britain was a sketch comedy show, where the 2 main actors played a variety of eccentric characters.
Old 2013-05-06, 09:50   Link #128
eplipswich
The Anime Maniac

Lol silly me... I literally did not get why Chamber was lying face down even after the episode ended until I rewatched the episode and noticed meat on the black parts of his body which I didn't notice before...Kind of makes sense since black absorbs heat

Anyway, people can call this episode fanservice or whatever, but this episode is not worthless in any way. If anything, it actually helps us viewers understand the culture of Gargantia, which is the focal point of this anime. So it is of course that we get to understand Gargantia before the real deal begins.

I only watch highly recommended animes ~ ~
Old 2013-05-06, 11:44   Link #129
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Awesome episode. We got to see more of Gargantia and its inhabitants doing their daily routines. I feel bad for Chamber at the end, though. rofl
Old 2013-05-06, 12:02   Link #130
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
I feel bad for Chamber at the end, though. rofl
"Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and they ask me to take you to the bridge use me as a grill. Call that job satisfaction? Because I don't."
Old 2013-05-06, 12:21   Link #131
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
Pigs would be more efficient, but there's just something about cows? Because those were definitely cows.
Don't pigs require a lot of water, though?

What is it they raise in arid places? Goats? Sheep?
Old 2013-05-06, 14:54   Link #132
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Don't pigs require a lot of water, though?

What is it they raise in arid places? Goats? Sheep?
Anything animal would require more resources than plant material; from my quick search, pigs seemed to have an advantage in sustainable numbers per acre versus cattle, but I did not have the time to properly vet the comparisons of land use requirements versus different farm animals that I found on line.

There's also using things like insects as a protein source, but that's vastly less appealing to most Western sensibilities.

The Random Curiosity post regarding this episode reminded me of another point: Ledo's job situation does resemble that of someone who went into military service early in life, was discharged, and now has to figure out what to do next.

Most Western representations of that have focused more on the PTSD aspects and how spending a lot of time in a combat environment can really maladjust someone for civilian life. Urobuchi's statements regarding the show suggest that Ledo's problems with going out in the world will not be that specific, versus the overall allegorical thing they're working with. (Though if we get a scene of him freaking out when presented with snails or starfish, then who knows.)
Old 2013-05-06, 16:00   Link #133
Kirarakim

Quote:
The Random Curiosity post regarding this episode reminded me of another point: Ledo's job situation does resemble that of someone who went into military service early in life, was discharged, and now has to figure out what to do next.
The director and Urobuchi have now both said it is about young people entering society.

I actually think Ledo being a soldier entering an alien and non-combatant world is meant to be a metaphor for that. As in I am not really sure if the series is trying to seriously deal with PSTD (although there are definitely shades of that in this story).

But I think the big difference is being a soldier is all Ledo ever knew, so he isn't actually readjusting at all, but learning something completely new and that new thing is why it is so scary.

Of course for soldiers who have been away from home for so long often times things are very new to them, because things change so quickly.

Anyways in my opinion one of the best films to deal with PSTD is The Best Years Of Our Lives. I kind of wish Ledo's "job search" was closer to how it was portrayed in that movie.
Old 2013-05-06, 16:13   Link #134
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
The director and Urobuchi have now both said it is about young people entering society.
The show works well because of choosing an adaptable and universal theme such as this one. The metaphors stack on top of each other.

(I also think that the show's basic theme will prevent it, thankfully, from taking a crazy grimdark turn like people seem to want. His old life/training/etc. is an expected source of tension versus his current journey, but having everyone get eaten would put a bit too much of a bend in the narrative.)

Ledo had one Hideauze tooth in the cockpit with him at the start, and pried the second one out of his Machine Caliber after he woke up on Earth. The origin of the first one might be an interesting bit of backstory... since we saw the other Ledo with yet another one in the flashback.
Old 2013-05-06, 17:05   Link #135
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Anything animal would require more resources than plant material; from my quick search, pigs seemed to have an advantage in sustainable numbers per acre versus cattle, but I did not have the time to properly vet the comparisons of land use requirements versus different farm animals that I found on line.
What I've read is that pigs convert 35% of the plants they eat into meat. The cows only get 7%, so, yeah, it would seem the pigs are better. But, they need mud and water to thrive.

So we get back to my question: when there's not much water, what kind of cattle do we raise?
Old 2013-05-06, 17:44   Link #136
MeggieMay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
What I've read is that pigs convert 35% of the plants they eat into meat. The cows only get 7%, so, yeah, it would seem the pigs are better. But, they need mud and water to thrive.

So we get back to my question: when there's not much water, what kind of cattle do we raise?
Well here's a article about what type of climates cows do best in, for a starter. You actually don't need a lot of water to raise cows. Feedyards are a major business where I live in the U.S. and we're almost always in drought conditions.

In my mind, desalination of sea water shouldn't be that hard to do, if you have a huge planet that's just water. So I did some research and from what I'm picking up from the Wiki article on the subject, the real issue is cost effectiveness verse some sort of lack of technology one. It expensive on all sorts of levels to desalinate water (power use and physical space to run such a system are just starters), so the real issue for Gargantia may not be lack of water clean enough to drink but a need to have a lot of it and to keep the price of getting it down. Every drop they can collect from rain and condensation allows the community to use the power they'd need to desalinate sea water to be used elsewhere. I also wouldn't be surprised if something else is affecting this issue when it comes to Gargantia but we haven't yet been made aware of it.
Old 2013-05-06, 17:57   Link #137
LostSome

For starter, we don`t know which species survived the ice age.
They probably choose those good for the cold.

Cows are also good because of their high resistance to acid and toxines in their food.(That`s the four stomachs system for you.)
Goats don`t take toxines well or at all.
Old 2013-05-06, 18:03   Link #138
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I think that the kind of battle experience that Ledo has lived is quite different from what foot soldiers do.

You don't get many fighter pilots with PTSD right? That's because they don't get to experience the most gruesome aspects of war. Ledo happens to be a pilot himself. Moreover he probably was conditioned to not feel fear as he states he doesn't at the start of the episode.

His stress level must have been very low even though a lot of his comrades and his commander died.

He is probably more traumatized by his young brother/clone being culled than the many battles he fought.

Old 2013-05-06, 18:31   Link #139
Gravitas Free Zone

Another factor in the probable lack of combat-related PTSD in the pilots is that they seem to have the technology to fiddle around with the pilots' brains while they're sleeping/in hibernation/etc. And that anyone that has a severe problem... we probably wouldn't be seeing, because they'd be removed.
Old 2013-05-06, 19:02   Link #140
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Damn, I can’t believe I missed your post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
And beside the joke, the whole scene was pretty stupid and irrational, especially with that whole chase up to the giant water sprinkler.
Believe it or not, in my country, there are okamas who behave that way after seeing a guy they really really like (usually those prostitute okamas), and that kinda "chase" did happen afterwards. So, that scene actually hit really close to home for me. That's why I laugh quite hard watching it . But of course, not all okamas are like that here.