AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

View Poll Results: Code Geass: Akito the Exiled OVA - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 2 18.18%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 1 9.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 54.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 9.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-10-04, 16:05   Link #621
somersault
thus spoke zarathustra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Fair criticism. I think I was definitely being unclear. What I meant to say was, they condensed so many events and put them right into the main series, so that the feeling that "there's a wider world out there with more going on" didn't come across.

Maybe you don't share this feeling, but when I watched it and then heard afterwards they were doing this OAV, my first thought was: "Everything important event happened in the main series.. so what's the point?" -- I guess I felt they didn't take advantage to properly "world build" the setting more even though they had the opportunity to make it feel more expansive.
I suppose you can only wait and see what Akito delivers (or not deliver in that case) and then you can argue properly about it.
somersault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 16:13   Link #622
Xander

Well, I do happen to feel otherwise.

Europe was almost completely ignored during the main series, despite being one of the main three world powers on paper, and it's good to finally have a better look at what's going on there. If that's not attempting to be expansive, I don't know what it is.

Comparatively speaking, four OVA episodes should amount to about eight regular TV episodes. That's actually not a bad length for a specific story arc. In fact, this is an improvement over the amount of coverage given to China and, most likely, the quality of the content will remain superior throughout.

One of the things about this OVA that I've enjoyed is the attention to detail, both explicit and implict. We don't have the full story yet, but there's already some food for thought. They're giving Britannia a little bit of extra development too, with these additional knight orders and their European conquests, which should help flesh them out as a faction. Not everything has to remain locked into Lelouch's point of view. We have been told that Suzaku will show up here, but he's going to be presented in a different light, since his role isn't the same in a situation where he doesn't have Lelouch as his main rival and former friend.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that providing "something important" is a matter of perspective. If you think about it, pretty much your same criticism could be applied to UC projects like 0080 and 08th MS Team though, considering "nothing important" happened in them since we already knew that all of Zeon was going to lose the war against the Federation, no matter what the last remnants did. But in their own ways they contributed to building the world. I think it's good to go into these transitional periods now, and address aspects that weren't considered before.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 16:36   Link #623
willx
Nyaaan~~

^ Yep, we disagree, that's okay. I just didn't feel the world was as immersive as it could've been. Maybe this OAV will prove me wrong!
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 18:02   Link #624
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Oh, that scene??

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Nope, wrong one! The one where Akito takes a drink off the serving tray and the bunny girl hands him the other one.
Johan is a sleaze! And gets his! And that "whore" looks nothing like Kallen!
The Gundam universe has had a lot of time to expand and spread out. Cide Geass's is just getting started, give it time!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 22:30   Link #625
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
Nope, wrong one! The one where Akito takes a drink off the serving tray and the bunny girl hands him the other one.
Johan is a sleaze! And gets his! And that "whore" looks nothing like Kallen!
The Gundam universe has had a lot of time to expand and spread out. Cide Geass's is just getting started, give it time!
yeah apparently only me and you saw that scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by articuzwolf View Post

and everytime I saw a girl with red hair in episode, It made me think...

was that Kallen in disguise? or not...

especially when a certain red hair girl with bunny outfit appear in the party

I blame R2 for associating Kallen with Bunny Girl
Old 2012-10-04, 23:12   Link #626
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Hm.. Part of me feels like if it was done in another, maybe a better, way.. Code Geass could've expanded it's world and been as expansive as the original Gundam UC universe..

There was so many other wars and so many other stories that could've been told..
Naturally I'm gonna say this.
Code Geass is a tricycle next to the Lambourgini Diablo that is UC Gundam.
It didn't have to be so, but R2 took the story off the rails into a trainwreck.
Old 2012-10-05, 04:11   Link #627
rinichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinichan View Post
Kallen have to work double time to satisfy CC's pizza cravings....
That's Johan's whore... the Kallen look-alike... but maybe thats her too...
Not cool.

I know (I hope) it's a look-a-like, but still...they have a whole stable of different hair colors, eye colors, skin colors, hair styles, and body types to choose from at CLAMP.
Why make the whore look like Kallen?

Not to belabor the point, but adding this clone was in poor taste IMHO.
or must be Kallen's relative.... remember Kallen is half Brittanian and Brittanian originated from EU....
its a small world in Code Geass.....

The bunny girl doesnt look like Kallen at all...
rinichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 04:12   Link #628
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
or must be Kallen's relative.... remember Kallen is half Brittanian and Brittanian originated from EU....
Maybe a relative... but why? She ain't significant...

Quote:
Nah... It's not her. Kallen is so hot... I could recognize her by her bunny ass....

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-10-05 at 04:26.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 04:22   Link #629
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
And the forced departure from the Old Continent happened when? More than two hundred years prior to the events of Code Geass season 1. Unless the Stadtfeld genes are particularly dominant and thus the family members' phenotype didn't change that much over the centuries (AND factoring in the possibility that a Stadtfeld family member did stay behind when the British Isles were invaded by the Europeans) ... that's a completely unrelated person.

I don't see why people are making a fuss out of a nameless character that will most likely never appear again.
Old 2012-10-05, 04:33   Link #630
rinichan

why are you all so mad??? someone just pointed out that she/he saw Kallen so I, the humble person I am rewind back to that place and look for it... I didn't even bash the character, I just stated my opinion that she really look like Kallen...
is it bad to say this?

yes , we know she's not gonna appear again, but people keep on asking....
they want to see the picture I humbly posted the look-alike and the bunny girl

not my fault, its just that people like me had eyes and can compare anytime...
this is not new, similar designs or alterations...

in mye earlier post I even pointed out that this girl look like CC
Quote:
I thought this is CC when I first saw this but it cant be, it cant be Leila since she has violet eyes

Arthur or Random cat?
not my fault if Sunrise or CLAMP is being lazy...
jeez you all hot headed....
Old 2012-10-05, 07:47   Link #631
somersault
thus spoke zarathustra.

Quote:
why are you all so mad??? someone just pointed out that she/he saw Kallen so I, the humble person I am rewind back to that place and look for it... I didn't even bash the character, I just stated my opinion that she really look like Kallen...
is it bad to say this?
No, it's not bad it's merely idiotic; many characters share the same hair/eyes as others, should each one of us post pictures of look-alikes? Where's that gonna get us except for 2000s stupid spam, that's so over a decade ago.
Old 2012-10-05, 08:32   Link #632
Xander

Quote:
Naturally I'm gonna say this.
Code Geass is a tricycle next to the Lambourgini Diablo that is UC Gundam.
It didn't have to be so, but R2 took the story off the rails into a trainwreck.
I believe his main complaint was primarily about not being interested in the direction taken by Akito, not concerns over R2. Quality doesn't appear to be the focus of his argument so far, but simply a question of subject matter.

Ironically enough, moving away from his specific case, perhaps quite a few of the people who share similar sentiments wouldn't mind watching a Code Geass R3 with a resurrected Lelouch instead, even if that's a very bad idea on paper. One which might still come to pass in the long term, of course, but thankfully not yet.

The fact is that Code Geass as a whole was never going to be Gundam in the first place, because their mutual differences in context and appeal happen to be way too large, even without considering that the Universal Century hasn't exactly avoided a number of critical failures or questionable outcomes, in spite of everything else, so I can't really find myself thinking that was ever a possibility.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 09:08   Link #633
somersault
thus spoke zarathustra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post

Ironically enough, moving away from his specific case, perhaps quite a few of the people who share similar sentiments wouldn't mind watching a Code Geass R3 with a resurrected Lelouch instead, even if that's a very bad idea on paper.
Totally; besides, something doesn't always have to be top quality in order for one to enjoy it. If you ask, most people on the Geass fandom will tell you that Season 1 was better organized in all fronts compared to R2, but they enjoyed the latter more, cause of all the shit and the way it went down.
Old 2012-10-05, 09:26   Link #634
rinichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by somersault View Post
No, it's not bad it's merely idiotic; many characters share the same hair/eyes as others, should each one of us post pictures of look-alikes? Where's that gonna get us except for 2000s stupid spam, that's so over a decade ago.
its not spam.
so comparing designs for you is idiotic?
Old 2012-10-05, 10:34   Link #635
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
I believe his main complaint was primarily about not being interested in the direction taken by Akito, not concerns over R2. Quality doesn't appear to be the focus of his argument so far, but simply a question of subject matter.
Be that as it may, there was once an entire forum/blogsite dedicated to R2 called "Code Trainwreck."

The original author has condensed his many articles and reposted them on a new blogsite.
PART ONE.
PART TWO.

His analysis of R2 is excellent and mirrors what many others feel (even if it wasn't the focus here).

Quote:
Ironically enough, moving away from his specific case, perhaps quite a few of the people who share similar sentiments wouldn't mind watching a Code Geass R3 with a resurrected Lelouch instead, even if that's a very bad idea on paper. One which might still come to pass in the long term, of course, but thankfully not yet.
Honestly I get cold feet on an R3.
While I still think that any Code Geass series with Lelouch in it will sell (look at Nunnally in Wonderland), if they can do a great job of Akito (keep up what the 1st OVA gave us) then methinks they can wean the fanbase off of Lelouch.
Better to leave the wreckage behind and start over.
Akito looks like it will do just that.

Quote:
The fact is that Code Geass as a whole was never going to be Gundam in the first place, because their mutual differences in context and appeal happen to be way too large, even without considering that the Universal Century hasn't exactly avoided a number of critical failures or questionable outcomes, in spite of everything else, so I can't really find myself thinking that was ever a possibility.
No it wasn't meant to be like Gundam, in fact, it wasn't meant to be more than one season (Okouchi Continue 42 October 2008 issue), though to be fair, Gundam wasn't meant to be more than that either, originally.
However, similarities aside, the comparison gets made quite a bit around the net, and I don't know why.
Really, it's the proverbial "apples and oranges" comparison since Gundam is a military Science Fiction story and Geass is more of a dramatic SF Fantasy.

Gundam is an epic scale story whereas Geass seems more localized and focused on the events centering around Lelouch and his Rebellion.
Old 2012-10-05, 10:57   Link #636
somersault
thus spoke zarathustra.

Quote:
Gundam is an epic scale story whereas Geass seems more localized and focused on the events centering around Lelouch and his Rebellion.
Come on, some Gundam series are purely shit. Did you see AGE? Puh-lease.
And R2, in terms of quality and plot, could not hold a candle compared to first season, but I'm sure you all know that the writers had to change a few things due to timeslot and stuff. Actually, had to change a lot of things but anyway.
Old 2012-10-05, 11:02   Link #637
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by somersault View Post
Come on, some Gundam series are purely shit. Did you see AGE? Puh-lease.
And R2, in terms of quality and plot, could not hold a candle compared to first season, but I'm sure you all know that the writers had to change a few things due to timeslot and stuff. Actually, had to change a lot of things but anyway.
We're not talking about the new ones.. we're talking about the UC Gundam series's -- Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta, ZZ, MS 083, MS 080, Char's Counterattack, etc..
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 11:12   Link #638
GundamFan0083

Quote:
We're not talking about the new ones.. we're talking about the UC Gundam series's -- Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta, ZZ, MS 083, MS 080, Char's Counterattack, etc..
Yes the pinacle of anime awesome.
So much so that there is a lifesize Gundam in Japan to honor the Epic Win that is UC Gundam.
Old 2012-10-05, 12:15   Link #639
Lost Cause

As the one who asked "Did you see the Bunny Girl?" I feel I must point out that nowhere did I mention that she looked like Kallen! Just that she favored her slightly.
As for making comparisons and them being idiotic, face it folks CLAMP did the work for both Akito and Lelouch, so there will be characters who bear a strong likeness to the ones in the previous series! And Bonzo did a show is how the main characters of Akito share characteristics and facial expressions similar to the characters of Lelouch of the Rebellion!
And thanks for putting that picture up rinichan, I just wanted to confirm my suspicions.
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 12:29   Link #640
somersault
thus spoke zarathustra.

Quote:
Still. Somebody might find Gundam repetitive and boring, it's not like everybody will jizz their pants over it.
Personally, if it wasn't for Char, who is arguably the best character ever in the Gundam-verse, I wouldn't even bother that much.