AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2018-06-03, 06:02   Link #1
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

Powerful and selfish protagonist

I had difficulty finding a headline that captures what I'm looking for, so the topic name may not fit 100% what I want.

You know how anime often have those awfully powerful protagonist that - when it counts - act all good? Like not keeping up the fight when their opponent is down or fleeing. Refraining from killing, helping others not because they want, but because it's the right thing to do. That kind of stuff.

I'm so tired of this.

What I want is a protagonist that does what he wants to. Someone picked a fight, but you easily overpowered him and he runs away? Don't let him! Go for the kill, that fucker deserved it. Some bandits are attacking someone? Meh, who cares. None of my business. And it's not enough if the protagonist is like this but someone always is ready to stop him. Boring. He needs to get his will and most important of all: he mustn't change his ways.

I'm looking for morally devoid characters that are only furthering their own selfish goals. And they have to be strong enough to pull it off. Like Caster from Fate/Zero, who derives joy from torturing children. That guy was awesome. But he wasn't the protagonist.

Anime that fit the bill are, for example:

[2006] Black Lagoon
[2008] Golgo 13
[2013] Mondaiji-tachi (It's close enough to what I want.)
[2015] Overlord
[2017] Youjo Senki
Old 2018-06-03, 07:00   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Does it matter if the story portrays it as a good thing or not as long as it still happens? Do revenge stories count? If so, I recommend 91 Days.

Also, Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin is another great one. It is a prequel to the main storyline but it's a phenomenal story on its own too.

Last edited by Haak; 2018-06-03 at 07:12.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-03, 08:54   Link #3
AnimeFangirl

Mahouka koukou no rettousei - The hero only cares about his sister.
Classroom of the Elite - hero doesn't care about anyone but himself.
Konjiki no Word Master (manga only) - hero only cares about books.
Akagi - Little physical confrontation but lots of mind games.
Kakegurui - Same as above but less interesting. Female protagonist if that's your kind of thing.
Old 2018-06-03, 12:01   Link #4
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Most probably Hellsing.
Old 2018-06-06, 02:14   Link #5
AntonKutovoi

Yagami Light from Death Note.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-07, 12:57   Link #6
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Does it have to main character or a supporting character? The quickest I thought was Lelouch from Code Geass who debuts forcing the suicide of a bunch of soldiers. The series is a bit controversial due to the "casualities" of some plot twists like Euphemia going crazy but Lelouch accepts the role of becoming a villain to the world or something like that in the last episodes while also pulling a lot of questionable methods.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-07, 13:00   Link #7
bakato

I can't tell you how much I agree with you. There's nothing wrong with being righteous, but I want to see a character's personal motive for acting as they do.

If you don't mind going off genre, try Neil Gaiman's Lucifer. This guy is the epitome of doing what he wants and nothing else.