AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-02-22, 11:21   Link #61
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Looks decent, but where's the humor? Aang in particular looks too serious.

Where are people of different skin color? One of the major disappointments was how they went for white people, when the actual characters aren't. To me, that was part of the charm of the series. And this is coming from a white guy.

I'll probably still catch it via torrent or something, because at the very least, it'll eat up a couple of hours of decent entertainment. Or just to see what all is cut.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 07:29   Link #62
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I don't think any of the Fire Nation are white.

I looked at the trailer but you know what. The special effects and fights and stuff look pretty bad to me. Maybe it's just me.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 08:07   Link #63
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Well Im pretty sure the Royal FN family was supposed to be East Asian - Or even at least Korean like with their facial features in the show, but that sure as heck aint hapening now...lol
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 08:07   Link #64
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I don't think any of the Fire Nation are white.

I looked at the trailer but you know what. The special effects and fights and stuff look pretty bad to me. Maybe it's just me.
Imo, a lot of it has to do with the fact that it's fake and a lot of wirework is being used.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 08:20   Link #65
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
Imo, a lot of it has to do with the fact that it's fake and a lot of wirework is being used.
In other words wire-fu? Thats not an excuse to have crappy fight scenes though.

Well Im holding it up against Forbidden Kingdom kung-fu level. Though with the age of the cast for TLA I dont think it could be that intense definitely not the first movie.
Old 2010-02-23, 14:55   Link #66
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

the movie doesn't look that bad. from the trailer it's not changed too much from the first part of the anime. some things have to be changed for movie adaptation. going from anime to live action.

looking forward to it.
Old 2010-02-23, 17:23   Link #67
Fishfood1

no matter what happens, i bet in the end, shippers will complain cause nothing satisfy them. then we end up in another renewed war between kataang vs zutara

as for the trailer... i feels there's ups and downs. at least it should cover all of book 1 consider the trailer showed the final battle in book 1 against FN's invasion.

roof>bed
Fishfood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 18:04   Link #68
Bassoonicmayhem
The Procrastinator

I'm excited! I loved watching the show on Nickelodeon and don't feel that apprehensive about the making of the movie. CGI is a must and I will not be overly upset if it ends up being Avatar: The Last Airbender (Look I combined the two! )

I am surprised that the entire Fire Nation seems to be cast India when I always thought that the Water Tribe and the Earth Bending Kingdom would have fit that demographic better, but I trust (and I'm saying this lightly) M. Night Shyamalan. I honestly thought that a Chinese cast would have fit the Fire Nation the best, if the movie were to follow the coloring and shading from the anime, but at least Zuko isn't going to be played by Jesse McCartney (which he originally was. *shudders*)

I read an article that said that M. Night and his family actually watched the series after his daughter got them hooked on it. That makes me feel a little better since he is a fan of the series, I just hope he doesn't pull a 'what a twist' and tarnish the series. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and will see the movie when it comes out in theaters.

I think the trailer was very good, a bit serious, but good nonetheless. I am a bit surprised that the movie has yet to be rated, and I think that will be a defining moment in the quality of the movie (or at least I think so.) But who knows, right?
Old 2010-02-23, 18:09   Link #69
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Is the movie only supposed to cover Book 1? Because I didn't recognize that many scenes from the trailer if it's supposed to be covering Book 1, except for maybe one or two. Then again, it's been awhile since I watched Avatar.
Old 2010-02-23, 18:11   Link #70
Fishfood1

^while i haven't been keeping up with the fandom for a year on ATLA related stuff, if i remember correctly, there was suppose to be like 3 movies for the ATLA franchise, so i'd suppose that each movie cover each book/season.

roof>bed
Fishfood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 18:16   Link #71
Bassoonicmayhem
The Procrastinator

^^^ Yeah. There are supposed to three movies. One movie for each book/season, but there has also been a rumor that if the movies become popular enough there might be more installments that aren't related the original series. I'm really hoping they don't do this because I could easily see it destroying the possible remaining dignity the movies hold for the series.
Old 2010-02-23, 19:39   Link #72
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I always thought of the Fire Nation as Japan, the Earth Nation as China, the water tribes as Siberians, and the air nomads as Tibetan monks.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 20:10   Link #73
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfood1 View Post
^while i haven't been keeping up with the fandom for a year on ATLA related stuff, if i remember correctly, there was suppose to be like 3 movies for the ATLA franchise, so i'd suppose that each movie cover each book/season.

Somehow, knowing each Book might be narrowed down to fit into a single movie doesn't fill me with much joy.
Old 2010-02-23, 21:38   Link #74
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Is there going to be Sokka rap atleast? Please say there will be meat and sarcasm, too.

...They're going to be white? That makes no sense.

Yeah, about that comment on Forbidden Kingdom? I hope they do a better job then THAT. I wanna seem some action, but not to the point it's mortal Kombat I wanna see Toph, personally. Though depending on how they fit it, she may be in the next film.

Which would make sense. They'll 'section' it to provide sells, if it's higher or lower, they adjust it accordingly. Thats how it really is.

Still... caucasians? No asians? Damn... Here I was looking forward to see them stay true to the culturals of ATLA. No matter... Long as they don't butcher it, I don't mind. Chances are though, they will.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 00:29   Link #75
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
Is there going to be Sokka rap atleast? Please say there will be meat and sarcasm, too.
If there is no meat and sarcasm, I will kill kittens. Sokka is, hands down, my favorite character in Avatar. And it's rare that I like a guy character, let alone have one as a favorite! But a dread feeling inside me says the actor playing him won't be able to top that.

Quote:
Yep. Apparently, we're still racist in Hollywood. We can't have actual people of color, playing actual people of color. Let's just make them all white, and make up some lame reason like "out of the actors we could get, white people did it better!"

It's one of the reasons I loathe this movie out of the gate. I mean, it's possible I could get blown away, but it's not looking likely at this point.

Toph won't be in this film, though. If they are doing 1 film per book, Toph comes in the next. It looks like they end it with the battle at the north pole.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 01:23   Link #76
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

I think its going to suck every thing Hollywood make now a days and its going to be over loaded with CG and the story is going to cut alot of corners. So this movie will have at less 2 or 4 more after it.
Old 2010-02-24, 08:12   Link #77
karthak
Baruk Khazad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post

Still... caucasians? No asians? Damn... Here I was looking forward to see them stay true to the culturals of ATLA. No matter... Long as they don't butcher it, I don't mind. Chances are though, they will.
Fans of the series call it racebending. http://www.racebending.com/v3/

Here's what Roger Ebert has to say about the casting:
Q. Regarding the upcoming M. Night Shyamalan vehicle The Last Airbender, what do you think about the whitewashing of the production [...] ?
Arlene C. Harris

A. Wrong. The original series Avatar: The Last Airbender was highly regarded and popular for three seasons on Nickelodeon. Its fans take it for granted that its heroes are Asian. Why would Paramount and Shyamalan go out of their way to offend these fans? There are many young Asian actors capable of playing the parts.
karthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 08:40   Link #78
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Are there really young Asian actors capable of playing Aang and company?
The problem is, fans take this too seriously with the "racebending" crap. What do you guys think will happen if they manage to get everyone to look like the characters themselves AND sacrifice another aspect like... martial arts abilities? IMO, I don't like an Aang who is a martial arts n00b. Yeah, we might get Sokka's jokes, but he's not the focus of ATLA anyway.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 09:25   Link #79
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Are there really young Asian actors capable of playing Aang and company?
The problem is, fans take this too seriously with the "racebending" crap. What do you guys think will happen if they manage to get everyone to look like the characters themselves AND sacrifice another aspect like... martial arts abilities? IMO, I don't like an Aang who is a martial arts n00b. Yeah, we might get Sokka's jokes, but he's not the focus of ATLA anyway.
Well from what if heard only those playing Zuko and Aang no martial arts...
Old 2010-02-24, 16:34   Link #80
Bassoonicmayhem
The Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking_Dreamer View Post
Well from what if heard only those playing Zuko and Aang no martial arts...
Well, they don't really need to know martial arts, to an extend~! (Don't flame me!) From what I've heard, none of the fights are hand-to-hand, but are bending, so it's really the actor somewhat portraying martial arts and having the CGI add in between each action. The kid playing Zuko, Dev Patel, is an amateur at martial arts and I'm assuming that the others apart of the main cast are at least amateurs as well.

And when it does come to racebending from what I can tell, the only people to have their races changed are Aang, Katara, and Sokka (which does irk me), but I could be completely wrong though, the movie hasn't come out yet.

As I've said before, the Fire Nation is mainly composed of India actors. Just from the preview (since that's our only source of information) the Earth Bending Kingdom seems to be mainly composed of Japanese or Chinese actors (yes I am referencing from that one actor) and I can't remember what the Water Tribe looked liked at this moment. I don't think the race problem is going to be as bad once the movie comes out, but yes, I do agree, it could have been a lot better.