AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-09-20, 01:37   Link #6121
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

while She Might not know zip 'bout magic i do believe that she would know which school Mei attends
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 12:44   Link #6122
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Her little sister is currently in a stripperific shadow dress against her will.
Not for long~~~

Quote:
On another note:
The wedding is in 2005, Negima is set in 2003.
Where was this stated? And IIRC manga Negima has been through two summer vacations, so that would mean that the two are definitely not on the same continuity...

On a side note, I wonder if Tsuruko(?)'s appearance has anything to do with the recent Love Hina special chapter?
Old 2010-09-21, 13:03   Link #6123
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Not for long~~~

Where was this stated? And IIRC manga Negima has been through two summer vacations, so that would mean that the two are definitely not on the same continuity...

On a side note, I wonder if Tsuruko(?)'s appearance has anything to do with the recent Love Hina special chapter?
1 summer vacation, their current one. By the time the next one rolls around the series is suppose to be over.
Old 2010-09-21, 16:33   Link #6124
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
On Negima being set in 2003: there's a couple of things that prove that:

1. Most of Negi's students are born in 1988 and 1989, meaning that they'd be in their third year of middle school in 2003;

2. Sometimes when Nodoka uses the Diarium Ejus, the date and the day of the week are included with the image and text that appear in the book, with the date and day of the week matching the 2003 calendar (of course, Del-Ray screwed this up somewhat when they released volume 5 of Negima, the first volume to feature the Diarium Ejus in America).

On two summer vacations: if you mean the bit in volume 7, that wasn't their summer break. That was Golden Week, a period in May where a number of Japanese holidays take place. Given Ayaka's rich background, her family is able to afford a tropical place for Negi and his students to spend their Golden Week vacation at.
Old 2010-09-21, 22:16   Link #6125
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
On two summer vacations: if you mean the bit in volume 7, that wasn't their summer break. That was Golden Week, a period in May where a number of Japanese holidays take place. Given Ayaka's rich background, her family is able to afford a tropical place for Negi and his students to spend their Golden Week vacation at.
Sorry about the summer thing, I think the official manga I've bought fumbled the line on chapter 200 page 19

Now that I think about it, two summer vacations would've made them first grade senior high (sorry, I don't know the proper english term)...
Old 2010-09-22, 00:02   Link #6126
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Now that I think about it, two summer vacations would've made them first grade senior high (sorry, I don't know the proper english term)...
"Senior High Freshman" is the correct term (at least in the US, although Senior High has four grades in the US, so they would actually be freshmen now), but you got the point across. The series as occurs at Mahora has run from January or February 2003 until the current time in-story, which I believe is still late August in Mahora, and early October in MW. 2003, either way. Hell, Negi may not have even reached his ninth birthday yet, in-story, but that's a dead horse of a different color...
Old 2010-09-22, 01:07   Link #6127

Quote:
Sometimes when Nodoka uses the Diarium Ejus, the date and the day of the week are included with the image and text that appear in the book, with the date and day of the week matching the 2003 calendar (of course, Del-Ray screwed this up somewhat when they released volume 5 of Negima, the first volume to feature the Diarium Ejus in America).
Ha! It's true! Chuang Yi has "April 24, Thursday", and the Meow scan says "24th of April, Thursday" - but Del Rey says Wednesday. I always thought Volume 5 was one of their most carelessly translated...
93143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 03:09   Link #6128
ReddyRedWolf

My take on this Tsukuyomi stole the Hina in 2003. This would explain her shift to a Yangire.

Motoko still had the Hina in 2001. Now Tsuruko said to young Setsuna the Kyoto Magic Association lent them the sword.

How can we reconcile this being a Urashima family heirloom? As evidenced by Keitaro's Cursed Pen that can take on the Hina the Urashima's have a capacity to curse objects. For that matter the Love Annex as well.

Centuries ago Kyoto burned because somebody got possessed by the Hina. It was contained and held in safe keeping by the Kyoto Magic Association.

Now Hinata Inn is located at Kanagawa this makes it the Kanto area, territory of the Kanto Magic Association.

Possibly as a gesture of good faith the Hina was returned to the Urashima clan.

Judging by the abilities of the Urashima females, the Urashimaryuu, the layout of Hinata, and that ninja outfit Keitaro wore the family is pretty much in the masquerade.

Grandma Hina may have reputation herself as she was once called by Motoko, The Demon of Hinata.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 13:39   Link #6129
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor

The Shinmei School seems to be more proactive, inclined to teach people outside the main family line techniques. Keitaro's family, meanwhile, seems to be more insular. If I was to take a wild stab at it, I'd predict that the Urashima are either a failed branch school that's narrowed down to a single family line or a related clan that's fallen on hard times.
Old 2010-09-22, 15:54   Link #6130
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

After reading comments about the other part of chapter 303
Spoiler for 303:
Old 2010-09-22, 22:13   Link #6131
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
The Shinmei School seems to be more proactive, inclined to teach people outside the main family line techniques. Keitaro's family, meanwhile, seems to be more insular. If I was to take a wild stab at it, I'd predict that the Urashima are either a failed branch school that's narrowed down to a single family line or a related clan that's fallen on hard times.
The Urashima clan have their own style called Urashimaryuu. As demonstrated by Kanako it has Ki based attacks, projectile and ki projectile defense, bone manipulating disguise technique, and various rope binding techniques.

Keitaro in ninja outfit used what he called Urashima style underwater technique trying to sneak on Tsuroko.

Plus the Urashima clan seems to have things cursed. The mentioned Yuuto Hina which gave the Shinmeiryuu trouble, Keitaro's cursed pen filled with so much negative energy it is on par with the Hina, the Love Annex where its magic makes sure two persons end up together if there is a confession which they had to close because it caused two guys to be together.
Old 2010-09-23, 10:41   Link #6132
BubbleGumCrisis

I need to give Love Hina another read cause I've nearly forgotten everything.
BubbleGumCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-24, 01:30   Link #6133
ReddyRedWolf

LOL Tsuroko herself got possessed by the Hina.
Old 2010-09-24, 09:03   Link #6134
AlaAlba

one thing. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! Akamatsu it's only 14 pages damnit! where are the other 4 pages!
> >
AlaAlba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-24, 15:54   Link #6135
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaAlba View Post
one thing. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! Akamatsu it's only 14 pages damnit! where are the other 4 pages!
> >
Given how there's a lot going on in Negima at the moment (and the huge amount of detail the Ken Akamatsu and his crew puts into the story), it's sometimes hard for Ken to finish an 18 page chapter in time for the deadline (especially when it comes to chapters that take place before a "break week"). Hence, it's normal for some chapters to be cut short by 2 or 4 pages in order to cut Ken some slack.

Besides, Ken's making up for the short chapter by actually having the current volume that's being covered in Shounen Magazine (volume 33) consist of ten chapters instead of the usual nine (with the final chapter of volume 33 being the next chapter).
Old 2010-09-24, 18:58   Link #6136
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaAlba View Post
> >
Akamatsu make 14 pages a week. We usually get 17-19 because of pages made in "break" weeks which are not really break ones. When "break" week is really have some break days we get 14 page chapters.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
al103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 09:47   Link #6137
karthak
Baruk Khazad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTeacherKen View Post
Maybe you can give her a preview some snippets of later parts of the manga like the Negi vs. Jack Rakan fight or the Magic World arc in general and see if that gets her interested. If that doesn't get her interested then I guess the manga's just not for her.
I'll try. The biggest stumbling block is the ridiculous amount of fan-service. She can stand it as little as I can, but she's less adept at filtering it out.
karthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 16:08   Link #6138
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTeacherKen View Post
Maybe you can give her a preview some snippets of later parts of the manga like the Negi vs. Jack Rakan fight or the Magic World arc in general and see if that gets her interested. If that doesn't get her interested then I guess the manga's just not for her.
My personal recommendation for a "preview volume" is volume 5. Yes, I'm very well aware that this is the volume where Nodoka (my favorite Negima girl) makes her Pactio. However, the Nodoka aspect is only part of why I recommend this volume. Among the reasons for recommending this volume as a sampler volume:

-It actually shows the change from harem comedy to shounen title (as the first third is a harem comedy storyline that is actually important to the story, while the rest of the volume has some shounen action in it).

-The Pactio system get fleshed out here (with the aforementioned Pactio taking place, the introduction of the "copy card" system that allows a Ministra Magi to summon his/her artifact if the Magister is not around, and the bonus pages explaining the various pieces of information on a Pactio card).

-Plenty of action time for Negi and four of the five "main" girls in the series (the fifth, due to the fact that she can't leave the school without special permission, only appears in flashback in this volume).

-The volume introduces a couple of male characters that play important roles later on.

-Of all the volumes of Negima, this one seems to be the tamest when it comes to fanservice, with only one topless moment (that I noticed) and a few panty shots (with at least three of the panty shot instances being an equivilent to a henshin sequence IMO).
Old 2010-09-26, 20:48   Link #6139
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
My personal recommendation for a "preview volume" is volume 5. Yes, I'm very well aware that this is the volume where Nodoka (my favorite Negima girl) makes her Pactio. However, the Nodoka aspect is only part of why I recommend this volume. Among the reasons for recommending this volume as a sampler volume:

-It actually shows the change from harem comedy to shounen title (as the first third is a harem comedy storyline that is actually important to the story, while the rest of the volume has some shounen action in it).

-The Pactio system get fleshed out here (with the aforementioned Pactio taking place, the introduction of the "copy card" system that allows a Ministra Magi to summon his/her artifact if the Magister is not around, and the bonus pages explaining the various pieces of information on a Pactio card).

-Plenty of action time for Negi and four of the five "main" girls in the series (the fifth, due to the fact that she can't leave the school without special permission, only appears in flashback in this volume).

-The volume introduces a couple of male characters that play important roles later on.

-Of all the volumes of Negima, this one seems to be the tamest when it comes to fanservice, with only one topless moment (that I noticed) and a few panty shots (with at least three of the panty shot instances being an equivilent to a henshin sequence IMO).
And most importantly for American readers, Volume 5 is where Del Rey abandoned the "adaptation" tack and started actually translating honestly. How successful that translation job has been is arguable, but it was better than the "adaptation".
Old 2010-10-06, 05:13   Link #6140
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

raws for 304 is out

Spoiler:
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy