AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Old 2017-04-26, 14:05   Link #1
ValvraveTruth

Current state of LN/WN forum

I'm slowly felt disappointed about the current LN/WN forum the recent years, mainly tackle on the members who ask for future events/spoilers when which of course they can't read japanese themself.

At first lets say someone posted a new LN/WN on either forum with minimum details about it and even listing out infos like 'is mc op' or 'about the girls in harem'. And then below members join in to ask for more expansion on the details/infos. Well everything is normal given its a new LN/WN and members want to know more to decide whether to read or not. But this is where the problems start.

As someone who read countless up to date(without any translation needed) LN/WN together with new ones, I really hate to see members asking for future events/spoilers without reading any of the books in the future. The WHOLE certain novel thread filled with this kind of posts, endless same question again & again. And what does this give birth to? Those who become the professors themself without reading any actual stuffs, start to lecture the contents like they know it all. I amazed that those who really read the books can spoil/answer those members like that countless time, destroying the real meaning of forum discussion, can't you see something is wrong?

Of course I know that many members can't read japanese and maybe waiting for translation. Im the type that believe the LN/WN forum to be for those who actually read and have real discussion, maybe some asking for spoilers from time to time. Not the whole forum become only for those who asking for spoilers, whats the point of forum even exist? But I guess this kind of problems cannot be address huh.

Last edited by ValvraveTruth; 2017-04-27 at 10:15.
ValvraveTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-26, 15:34   Link #2
bakato

I find your view to be elitist, arrogant, and incredibly narrow. If no one gave out spoilers, then how is the fanbase supposed to grow? There's nothing wrong with asking for spoilers either because translation hasn't progressed or people don't want to invest their time in a story they'll end up dropping because it crashes and burns midway.

"Real" discussion? Discussion on a forum is usually comprised of posts commenting about characters, speculating plot points, shipping characters, praise or criticisms, sharing of information about releases, etc. The chain of which is only broken occasionally by the newcomer asking for spoilers. There is no problem, it's just you.
Old 2017-04-27, 07:33   Link #3
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Some readers don't read because they can't read the original source language and some others don't read because don't want bother to read very long text.
I think LN/WN forum existenbce is practically helping everyone who want to read the source but couldn't because many circumstance like my above points.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-27, 10:09   Link #4
ValvraveTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
I find your view to be elitist, arrogant, and incredibly narrow. If no one gave out spoilers, then how is the fanbase supposed to grow? There's nothing wrong with asking for spoilers either because translation hasn't progressed or people don't want to invest their time in a story they'll end up dropping because it crashes and burns midway.
Whats the point of fanbase grow if they are not even reading the book in the future? I doubt the sales will go up with just having readers to spoil those who don't read either. Ya there is nothing wrong with asking for spoilers. But look at the current members who actually asked for spoilers, will they even gonna read the book after it was translated? You yourself even said:"people don't want to invest their time in a story they'll end up dropping because it crashes and burns midway".

You saying I'm elitist, arrogant, and incredibly narrow is just the same as liberals telling off the conservative. If I am either elitist or arragant, My 1st sentense would be:"are you one of those who only want spoilers and not going to read it?" or I would have objected fully about those who asked for spoilers. But in my thread, I didn't strongly disagree with them, even I know asking for spoilers a continuation/support of post. I am totally all ok with asking for spoilers IF they are really going to read the book after it was translated. How can I even be "incredibly" narrow when I'm trying to tackle the current problem in the forum? The problem of those become Pros without reading any real stuffs. In the end everything is just about spoilers. I mean come on, you should know at least half of those comments posted are asking for spoilers and not going to read it. The other half are those who read it, and answer the spoiler question. Only tiny portions of discussions are done by those who actually read it.

Btw you need to read my thread properly bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
The chain of which is only broken occasionally by the newcomer asking for spoilers. There is no problem
Ya there is no problem. When your "occasionally" means half of the comments in a LN/WN thread asking for spoilers.

Last edited by ValvraveTruth; 2017-04-27 at 10:22.
ValvraveTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-27, 11:36   Link #5
IceHism

And then there will be people who discuss the spoilers as if they read the book after getting told the spoiler . A lot of series are translated, maybe not fully or up to date with the latest volume but I kind of expect people to read it.

Besides, LNs are short and don't even take much effort to complete.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-27, 22:40   Link #6
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValvraveTruth View Post
Whats the point of fanbase grow if they are not even reading the book in the future? I doubt the sales will go up with just having readers to spoil those who don't read either. Ya there is nothing wrong with asking for spoilers. But look at the current members who actually asked for spoilers, will they even gonna read the book after it was translated? You yourself even said:"people don't want to invest their time in a story they'll end up dropping because it crashes and burns midway".

You saying I'm elitist, arrogant, and incredibly narrow is just the same as liberals telling off the conservative. If I am either elitist or arragant, My 1st sentense would be:"are you one of those who only want spoilers and not going to read it?" or I would have objected fully about those who asked for spoilers. But in my thread, I didn't strongly disagree with them, even I know asking for spoilers a continuation/support of post. I am totally all ok with asking for spoilers IF they are really going to read the book after it was translated. How can I even be "incredibly" narrow when I'm trying to tackle the current problem in the forum? The problem of those become Pros without reading any real stuffs. In the end everything is just about spoilers. I mean come on, you should know at least half of those comments posted are asking for spoilers and not going to read it. The other half are those who read it, and answer the spoiler question. Only tiny portions of discussions are done by those who actually read it.

Btw you need to read my thread properly bro.

Ya there is no problem. When your "occasionally" means half of the comments in a LN/WN thread asking for spoilers.
What do sales have to do with being a fan? I said that's why people want spoilers so they don't do that and the possibility of dropping a series midway is no grounds to deny newcomers and potential fans. Your view excludes these newbies from the start.

Whether they decide to read the translation after reading spoilers is their business. Heck, I've read all the translated chapters of Tsuki ga Michibiku and I find it much more efficient to read spoilers because I can't take the terrible writing style. This is an online forum where we type our posts not a stage with one microphone. If you and your group want to have a "real" discussion there's nothing stopping you from carrying that out. Requests for spoilers and spoiler posts will at most just force you to scroll. The very fact that half this thread of yours is spoilers must mean people just aren't interested in talking about it. That or they're discussing on another forum. Either way, a forum is an exchange of information and opinion. Spoilers and requests for spoilers have every right to be there along with worthless shipping, two bit criticisms, and fan gushing.
Old 2017-04-28, 02:08   Link #7
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValvraveTruth View Post
I'm slowly felt disappointed about the current LN/WN forum the recent years, mainly tackle on the members who ask for future events/spoilers when which of course they can't read japanese themself.

At first lets say someone posted a new LN/WN on either forum with minimum details about it and even listing out infos like 'is mc op' or 'about the girls in harem'. And then below members join in to ask for more expansion on the details/infos. Well everything is normal given its a new LN/WN and members want to know more to decide whether to read or not. But this is where the problems start.

As someone who read countless up to date(without any translation needed) LN/WN together with new ones, I really hate to see members asking for future events/spoilers without reading any of the books in the future. The WHOLE certain novel thread filled with this kind of posts, endless same question again & again. And what does this give birth to? Those who become the professors themself without reading any actual stuffs, start to lecture the contents like they know it all. I amazed that those who really read the books can spoil/answer those members like that countless time, destroying the real meaning of forum discussion, can't you see something is wrong?

Of course I know that many members can't read japanese and maybe waiting for translation. Im the type that believe the LN/WN forum to be for those who actually read and have real discussion, maybe some asking for spoilers from time to time. Not the whole forum become only for those who asking for spoilers, whats the point of forum even exist? But I guess this kind of problems cannot be address huh.
With you going out of your way to even come off as bragging that you can read the source material without need of a translation kind of leads me to think you just want to stand on a soapbox and preach.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote