AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2022-05-28, 12:04   Link #61
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Sorry, I just looked up the series briefly and saw 2 male leads at the front, I guess having seen gunjou no fanfare ep 1 sort of made me suspicious and cautious, since I didn't like it. Not even sure whether it's (GnF) really BL but it felt like one.
I also watched "welcome to the ballroom" and liked it, so another interesting and uncommon dance-related story would be nice.

Well I'm finally caught up. It's really a great show except the initial bullying part was painful to watch. I didn't think Junpei and Miyako will become a thing so quickly. I feel bad for Luou but it's something that he has to overcome. If Luou and Miyako were to end up as a couple in his current state, it won't be really a good thing for him, nor for Miyako.
Gunjou no Fanfare is not a BL.
Old 2022-05-28, 14:32   Link #62
Alchemist007
*Author

Luou has the potential to have an interesting story here, hopefully it comes to fruition.
Old 2022-05-28, 14:45   Link #63
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Gunjou no Fanfare is not a BL.
This. It gets interesting from Episode 8 onwards after they graduate from jockey school.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-28, 14:53   Link #64
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I suggest you watch Yuri on Ice to see a real BL story.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-28, 18:52   Link #65
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
I saw your same post in Reddit. Answer is given there: "Simple. Dance partner =/= love interest."
Yep, i copied my post to Reddit, and I accept that answer. Now it will be interesting to see how Natsuki see's Jumpei. If she and him both can respect each other as synchronized partners, their ballet will flourish. But if she later on develops feelings for him, then the triangle becomes a square and it will become more interesting to see how it plays out. Either way, I look forward to more of this anime.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-03, 15:50   Link #66
Alchemist007
*Author

Half wondering if the teacher didn't send the girl out onto the balcony to be eye candy for him .
Old 2022-06-03, 17:02   Link #67
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

I think the sparkle moment will we saw will evolve into more than just that. Lots of anguish in this episode, feels like I'm watching a quality drama!

Biggest revelation for me was that Luou has a half younger brother! Did not see that storyline coming.
Old 2022-06-03, 23:53   Link #68
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Half? He's all younger!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-04, 05:15   Link #69
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Episode 9
In Junpei, the mangaka and the show captured what it is to be a young teenager where the possibilities are myriad and where one wants it all - to get the scholarship and attend Oikawa Ballet School, to continue learning with Godai Dance Studio, to have a cute girlfriend in Miyako and a youthful love life, to have a friendly rivalry with Luou, to have a matching dance partner in Natsuki. Some things just have to give. At this moment, he has decided to forego the scholarship, concede the scholarship to Luou, stay with Godai Dance Studio (despite Chizuru effectively telling him to accept the Oikawa scholarship) and have a youthful love life with Miyako.

Misaki is one year older than Junpei. He has given his all and changed a number of aspects of his life and ballet (he even followed Ayako's advice to not participate any more in ballet competitions) in order to secure that Oikawa scholarship. He's not beneath in using whatever means to dislodge any competitors for that scholarship. He may have inadvertently partially succeeded with Luou leaving the class on his own accord but he has a new threat in Junpei jumping in as the lead competitor. Junpei being called to be interviewed by Ayako sets his alarm bells ringing. Rightly so. He is already at the end of his line, so to speak, in terms of what obstacles he can throw at Junpei. The outburst against Junpei is all that pressure bursting out.

What about Luou? We get to know a bit more about Luou and his situation. If he had not run away from the Godai house at the end of the episode, he would have heard how much of a fan Junpei is of him and his ballet dancing. However, he would have also heard Junpei's admission of Miyako now being his girlfriend and they are going on a date. Unbeknownst to Junpei, Luou already knows and that is probably the penultimate straw before the camel's back was eventually broken and he ran away.

Next 2 episodes of this season will get some clarity about how this messy situation is resolved. I used "this season" in the hopes that we will get another season (or more) of it.
Old 2022-06-11, 03:32   Link #70
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That was pretty fucked up. And not in a good way, even if it was brilliantly executed.
Old 2022-06-11, 20:27   Link #71
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Expected the reactions from Episode 10. Generally keeping quiet until after Episode 11 airs. Just a reminder that the Swan Lake performance towards the end of Episode 10 continues in Episode 11.
Old 2022-06-13, 22:27   Link #72
larethian

Somehow, I saw this coming. Which means Junpei will probably get close to Natsuki, or maybe other new dancer characters in future before getting back together with Miyako (hopefully). But then, they are all teens. They have some some 'growing up' and 'figuring out' to do. It's harsh also to know that Miyako has no 'talent' per se. I hope to see them dance together on a big stage one day. Looking at some of the covers, seems like we will be getting some time skips in due time.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-17, 15:37   Link #73
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

An epic ending to a great series! Loved many moments of the show. 9/10 for me.
Old 2022-06-17, 15:39   Link #74
Alchemist007
*Author

Was a somewhat okay story but the characterization was good and the art was top notch. Would be nice to see an S2.

8/10
Old 2022-06-17, 16:08   Link #75
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Enjoyed the season, the ending felt a little meh but would watch a potential s2, I think they have enough material remaining. Is the manga licensed?
Old 2022-06-18, 05:48   Link #76
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm so fucking conflicted about that I don't even know where to start.
Old 2022-06-18, 07:09   Link #77
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Episode 11 (season finale)
The Swan Lake dance continues from the previous episode to resolve the current situation - what Junpei and Miyako see as their attempt to "save" Luou. Luou was ready to pack it all in for ballet even though that was all it has. Even in his dancing well in front of her, he still could not get the approval and praise from his grandmother who is now suffering from severe dementia.

Luou calling this impromptu Swan Lake performance with Junpei and Miyako a charade is what many outside think as well but that's because they have all adopted the outside perspective and see it all that Junpei and Miyako are just patronising him to help themselves and their relationship. This impromptu dance taps into Luou inside desire and his love for ballet that he found by breaking from the rigid approach from embracing Rothbart. The dance sequence here is spectacular.

The resolution that Junepi and Miyako went for follows the Swan Lake story that was to be performed in the earlier recital but from an insider's perspective. They are there to save Rothbart's tortured soul. Siegfried relinquishes and, Junpei now decides to let Siegfried die, and Miyako, as Odette, also sacrifices herself for Rothbart. By completing the performance as Rothbart, Luou has shown his individuality in his dance and finds his pathway out of the spiraling doom he felt himself falling into.

Chizuru acknowledges that both Luou and her are under the "curse" of her mother/his grandmother. That she found some release from it puts her into a better position to empathise and help Luou find that release. Miyako has chosen to stay by Luou's ide to be his support - that emotional blackmail from long before has come back to to haunt her. Chizuru was right to tell Junpei that it is now a wholly family matter between them and Junpei should find his own way. Her last advice to him - believe in his own gut.

That has Junpei scrambling to get back to Oikawa Ballet School to do the variation performance to clinch that SS scholarship. He makes it a hair late but is determined to show his commitment that he even drags Ayako back into the room to show his performance. His performance wows the crowd not because of his accuracy and technical skills but because he performed Siegfried - with the added advantage of the raw feelings from the earlier performance at the beach coming through. As Kotobuki opined, his performance was not as refined and not as accurate but these things can be improved with hard work, whereas his charisma, his more deeply felt performance coming from the natural knack/talent cannot be gotten from just hard work.

Chizuru's last comments to him gave him the spur to accept Ayako's condition that he cut himself off from the Godai ballet studio and go all-in on Oikawa Ballet School's more classical approach. Junpei has internalised the old pianist's advice to him when she showed him the SS class's practice. He needs to get the basics and the technical skills up to mark if he is to truly dance freely (he saw and now understood that in Luou's performances of Rothbart). He is convincing enough to Ayako in dedicating it all to Oikawa ballet School that Ayako confirms awarding the scholarship to Junpei.

In summary, "You Can't Always Get What You Want" (Rolling Stones). (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krxU5Y9lCS8) (Tried to post the YouTube video but it failed to work due to rights restrictions).
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes
Well you just might find
You get what you need
Do know that these 11 episodes only cover up to Chapter 51 of the manga series. There's 150+ chapters more to go to catch up to where the manga is currently at (Chapter 205). This is just but the beginning of a long haul.
Old 2022-06-19, 01:32   Link #78
Cloudedmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I'm so fucking conflicted about that I don't even know where to start.
My literal thoughts when the episode ended was, "It was beautiful...and I hated it."
Old 2022-06-19, 02:10   Link #79
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
My literal thoughts when the episode ended was, "It was beautiful...and I hated it."
It took me 1639 words to basically say that.
Old 2022-06-19, 15:06   Link #80
Cloudedmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It took me 1639 words to basically say that.
If you ever need some snappy once liners I'm here for ya. I'll leave the eloquent dissertations to you. *Now runs off to read you bear my soul in 1639 words*