AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Guilty Crown

Notices

Old 2011-10-13, 18:31   Link #461
molarmass
Bored

I only got one question, do they keep the coolant for the mech in the right arm for I can't think of any other reason why it would explode seconds later after losing it limb.
molarmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 18:32   Link #462
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by molarmass View Post
I only got one question, do they keep the coolant for the mech in the right arm for I can't think of any other reason why it would explode seconds later after losing it limb.
Don't you know all mecha are made of explodium?
Old 2011-10-13, 18:37   Link #463
.:Jason:.
~The Radiant Protector~

Send a message via AIM to .:Jason:. Send a message via MSN to .:Jason:.
Can't say I see the appeal of Inori, but then again I do like the other females on their side better, from what little we've seen of them.

Other than that, it was a pretty okay episode. Not fond of the ending or Shu/his schoolmates but the characters might grow on me.

Set by TheEroKing.
.:Jason:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 19:11   Link #464
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I have to say nice job with the music in the first episode. The song at the start was great and really the music worked throughout the episode.

Really a solid first episode. Get some hints when it comes to Shuu and those weird flashes he saw.

Luckily not the first time I've seen a lead have to reach into someone's chest to pull out something . A crazy mix going on here with battles between mechs and then the lead comes out with that sword and starts taking care of business on foot . This should be fun.

Inori went through a lot this episode. Besides the whole weapon getting pulled from her, have explosions, being shot at with missiles, interrogation, and a music video on youtube .
Old 2011-10-13, 19:13   Link #465
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Well got around to seeing this and it was a solid opener, but it didn't exactly blow me off my feet like I was expecting it to. I may have had too high of expectations placed on this series going into it. Still good episode nonetheless.

The OST is pretty good so far as I would expect from Sawano. There were a few too many stills like Fate/Zero episode 1 in this episode in the action scenes, but not too many things that felt too blatant. Art quality is fantastic.

I'm not too much into this main character so far. Perhaps I'll like him more as we go along, but I did not quite understand his angst or anything due to the pacing. I don't mind angsty characters, I actually tend to like them, but only so long as the angst is communicated well. I mean first Shuu was complaining first about not being to communicate well with those around him, but they never really expressed what he meant by that exactly so I was just left going "Huh?" Then he starts complaining about being a coward without hinting at any particular reason he feels bad for being a coward. I'm not sure if he particularly dislikes the occupation by foreign countries and why exactly he wanted to help Inori so much that he's willing to put himself in great danger (Just because he has the hawts for her?).

I'm sure they can explain this later, and I'm willing to wait for it. The only problem is that at this point of the story it kind of disconnects me from the character, and hence the story. If I can't care about the main character, then everything doesn't have the necessary impact. That's the key reason here why this episode didn't exactly blow me off my feet.

Not sure how I feel about the plot setup so far. The last anime in this time slot that dealt with diseases/parasites turned out kind of bad, so they'll have to convince me they can make effective use of it for this to be interesting. I assume that the plot is going to be very basic, terrorist organization seeking to uncover conspiracy and liberate country, or something along those lines. Maybe Shuu will have conflict of interests with them and try to be an idealistic fool. Who knows.

I guess what really was not helping me was the similarities in the character between Shuu and the character Shion in No.6 who turned out awful in his development. It's not just the personality but also the VA is the same so I almost feel like they're the same person. Shuu didn't quite establish a unique enough and appealing identity as such to me to really get into the story.

I hope the antagonists become more interesting in this story because so far I got a pretty weak impression from them. Just felt rather bland in how they were "evil." Nothing to write home about. More generally I want to see someone on either side arise and provide an interesting foil for the main character. Maybe Gai can be that, but then the antagonists will leave a lot to be desired. But we'll see.

Anyways, solid opener but Shuu leaves a lot to be desired as a main character so far to me. I don't like the Code Geass comparisons with Guilty Crown, but one thing Code Geass had that was really helpful in getting immersed into that show was an absolutely captivating main character. I don't see that here, and I'm just left rather cold on the prospects of his future development. As a side note though, Gai was really badass, so maybe I'll latch onto him for cool male character of the series.

8/10.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 19:23   Link #466
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Oh dat animation. I kinda lol'd at the plot of having to grab into the girls' chest to gain power, but they this is animu!

Adequate setup; I sure like those character designs, wonder what the purple-haired chick will be like. I'll give it an 8/10

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 19:34   Link #467
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Not bad, music was nice.

Kinda reminded me of Code Geass episode 1 though

Spoiler:

Though it seems that the mechas are controlled by thoughts and that the Occupation suits are remotely controlled Avatars?
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 19:37   Link #468
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

I hope Shu would not become a hero in angst for the first half of the series: though given any "bond of heart" weapon it is inevitable that he will have to go though emotional traumas some time down the road, and it may not be resolved until the very end of the series.

Like the OP and ED, do not like the music when Gai fought: it feel rather sudden (as if I am playing an RPG and the battle music just pop out mid-track when I encounter a fight).

"please, use me"
*puts hand into her chest*

can be quite misleading
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 19:39   Link #469
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Production wise, this anime is unmatched for this season. I thought both the animation, character designs and music (Yes Yuki Kajiura, you are beaten for once) were all top notch, so in terms of treating your eyes and ears, this is the anime to watch for sure. Most likely better production values than even Fate/Zero.

However, in terms of story and characters, it could have been a bit better. For starters, the MC was pretty bland, angsty and a bit boring. Inori was bloody gorgeous to look at (tasteful fanservice rawr) but wasn't your typical moeblob either. I'm impressed. However, the character I liked the most was Gai - gogo badass types.

In terms of story, it's a lil on the generic side basing it on a rebellion + a pandemic and all, but it was in no way bad. Although some people are comparing this to Code Geass a lot, for now I'm not totally convinced. This is because Guilty Crown's opening episode lacks a major element which Code Geass had for it - thriller and suspense. I'm not feeling much of a suspenseful atmosphere atm, though it might partially got to with the MC being a bit boring on the character side. Could have used a more charismatic character like Light or Lelouche and it would have made this opening episode a lot better imo. It also felt a tad rushed, but no where as bad as say Persona 4 or Mirai Nikki.

Regardless, it is probably the 3rd best anime opening episode after Fate/Zero and Chihayafuru which is slightly below what I expected (I was expecting to be either par or just below Fate/Zero in quality). However, it's episode 1 and we still have 21 episodes to go so this is definitely a keeper.

8.5/10

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2011-10-13 at 22:48.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 20:03   Link #470
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

yay...more japanese nationalism. -_-

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 20:30   Link #471
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Easily, EASILY the best new anime of this cour for me. Did I mention that "girl of his past" is pretty much almost guaranteed to be dead now? Yeah, me absolutely loving this show despite that says something, considering how big of a shipper I am.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 20:41   Link #472
Sciel
Etoilé

Was pretty awesome, the animation was FABULOUS to watch. The music as many have said was fantastic . If anything i felt that this first episode should have been 40 mins long (like fate/zero) as the pacing was really fast. Also not a fan of how the episode ended (before transition to ED).
Sciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 21:07   Link #473
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

I am curious about the younger Inori that we have been seeing: have they met before?
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 21:12   Link #474
Dralha

Big WOW for this one. Gorgeous animation, great soundtrack, interesting setting and characters, good pacing. Epic power-up at the end.
Old 2011-10-13, 21:24   Link #475
Jarmel

So was the song at the beginning, "My Dearest"? It seems there isn't really any clarification on this as there was another song in the 2nd PV that sounds much more like an OP song than the one in this episode.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 21:36   Link #476
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Liked the visuals. Want the OST now. Were those past memories going through Shu's head? Nice to see him finally step up and do something that he wouldn't regret later. So what he actually got the government was producing on making better enforcers? Looks like a power for destruction. So badass when he jumped and cut it in half. Didn't get why Inori was involved in it. Is it because they said something about connecting hearts so it relies on 2 people to work the power? Gai was so awesome as well.
Old 2011-10-13, 21:37   Link #477
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
So was the song at the beginning, "My Dearest"? It seems there isn't really any clarification on this as there was another song in the 2nd PV that sounds much more like an OP song than the one in this episode.
It's definitely not "My Dearest", which I presume is the last song in the 2nd PV. Credits show that it's "Euterupe". I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. Oh scrarch that. It's "Euterpe", which is either referring to the Greek muse or the asteroid named after her.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 21:41   Link #478
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
It's definitely not "My Dearest", which I presume is the last song in the 2nd PV. Credits show that it's "Euterupe". I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. Oh scrarch that. It's "Euterpe", a Greek muse or the asteroid named after her.
I thought Euterpe was the insert song that played near the end when Shu got his level up.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 21:45   Link #479
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

I don't think it's "My Dearest" either as the OP was being sung (or lipsynced) in the music video by Inori, and we know that the singing voice of Inori is Chelly. "My Dearest" is being sung by Koeda.

As for the anime itself... clichéd? Yep. But it looks good so far.
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 21:47   Link #480
faythz
I.G

Preview episode 2
http://www.guilty-crown.jp/

Tags
action, noitamina, production_ig