AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-16, 22:32   Link #581
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
Here's my take on E7AO: It's a sequel to the themes, but not a sequel in sense of storyline. The show is intended as a follow-up in the sense that fans of the original series would feel familiar with the themes expressed in the world and technology, as well as the characters designs and general feel of the show.

I think Ao is certainly the son of Renton and Eureka, but they will not explicitly be the Renton and Eureka of the E7 TV series or the E7 movie
This would count as an instant failure in my books.
This is not what "sequel" means.
You can't just make a continuation to some bizzare version of E7 that only exists in the director's mind.
What's the bloody point?
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 23:02   Link #582
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
You can't just make a continuation to some bizzare version of E7 that only exists in the director's mind.
What's the bloody point?
Well as long as people enjoy it and there's a worthwhile story to be told, there's a point. Not everything is automatically good or bad depending on preconceptions. A show can stand on its own and be worthwhile, even if it is not what a fanbase expected out of it.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 23:39   Link #583
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Just kinda annoyed at how people wrongfully use the term century, so I had to mention it, is all.
When I was using the term century before I was saying that the original E7 had to take place at least a century in the future (judging by all the technology they had developed+the planet becoming unrecognizable). Plus waaaay earlier in the thread I had said that the original E7 took place at least a thousand years in the future if not more and a lot of people gave me crap for that as I seem to recall (not sure why) so I was trying to be a little more "realistic" in my time frame this time around. Clearly you just can't talk about the timeline of E7 without annoying someone or other.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 07:44   Link #584
Tyr Valein

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
When I was using the term century before I was saying that the original E7 had to take place at least a century in the future (judging by all the technology they had developed+the planet becoming unrecognizable). Plus waaaay earlier in the thread I had said that the original E7 took place at least a thousand years in the future if not more and a lot of people gave me crap for that as I seem to recall (not sure why) so I was trying to be a little more "realistic" in my time frame this time around. Clearly you just can't talk about the timeline of E7 without annoying someone or other.
Well, you were right the first time. The plot of the original E7 took place 10,000 years in the future. Because of things like the Tokyo tower still standing, they're assuming this is the same exact universe, which anyone can tell its not through a few simple facts. How this universe will connect to the old one (if it does at all), has yet to be revealed, but I think its safe to say that people are taking the timeline too seriously. The timescales should match up side by side and if they don't, then that's yet another plot point they'll probably reveal in the near future.
Tyr Valein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 07:54   Link #585
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Here's my take on E7AO: It's a sequel to the themes, but not a sequel in sense of storyline. The show is intended as a follow-up in the sense that fans of the original series would feel familiar with the themes expressed in the world and technology, as well as the characters designs and general feel of the show.

I think Ao is certainly the son of Renton and Eureka, but they will not explicitly be the Renton and Eureka of the E7 TV series or the E7 movie.
so Eureka 7 AO is more like another Spin-Off just like the Eureka 7 Movie, well that is not exactly bad since this only means new viewers does not necessarily will be force to watch the old series

i hope this Spin-Off theory is all true
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 08:28   Link #586
duckroll
綺羅星★!

http://eurekaao-prj.net/?p=601

OST1 will be out on June 27, for 3,150yen.
Old 2012-04-17, 11:34   Link #587
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Oh, I'm not saying it's going to be a bad show in this case, oh no.
But it can very easily become an ungraceful sequel.
And personally, I'd enjoy a fully original story more in this case.
Old 2012-04-17, 19:18   Link #588
ChocoBar9
Banned

Just saying, the plot synopsis on the main site says that it takes place 20 years later. You don't even need Japanese, you can see it there.

Also, the fact that they showed the moon so clearly at all means this is clearly to set the viewers off as a plot point
ChocoBar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 19:37   Link #589
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoBar9 View Post
Just saying, the plot synopsis on the main site says that it takes place 20 years later. You don't even need Japanese, you can see it there.
No it doesn't.
Old 2012-04-17, 21:39   Link #590
ChocoBar9
Banned

Quote:
No it doesn't.
ChocoBar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 22:41   Link #591
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Yes, why don't you tell us what that says? Since you're so convinced.
Old 2012-04-17, 22:58   Link #592
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Wild guess, the lines in question say something along the lines of "the follow-up to the hit show from 2005, Eureka 7" (since a quick check on ANN shows that the show originally premiered in 2005).
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 23:23   Link #593
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I'm still waiting for ChocoBar9 to tell me where the text says the show takes place 20 years later.
Old 2012-04-18, 01:30   Link #594
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

"The sequel to Eureka Seven, which was broadcast in 2005," or something to that effect anyway, like dreamer said. Certainly isn't an in-universe reference. The 2025 passage following it is the setting of the show, but then that was obvious anyway.
Old 2012-04-18, 02:51   Link #595
Jarmel

Quote:

I think Ao is certainly the son of Renton and Eureka, but they will not explicitly be the Renton and Eureka of the E7 TV series or the E7 movie. Renton and Eureka represent Kyoda's specific vision of the boy meets girl theme in stories. To put a spin on AO, instead of making it another parallel story about Renton meeting Eureka again, instead he is making sequel to that story concept now. So this is a story about a new generation after Renton meets Eureka, but it is a sequel to the E7 concept itself, and not any specific E7 story (TV, movie, manga, etc).

In Kyoda's mind, there are probably an unlimited number of possibly variations of the original E7 story, and this is intended to be a follow-up to all of them, but none of them specifically. That's what I think is happening here.
I would actually be fine with this. They're not running over the previous series but it's still somewhat a sequel I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoBar9 View Post

Also, the fact that they showed the moon so clearly at all means this is clearly to set the viewers off as a plot point
It is IMPOSSIBLE for this to be only 20 years later unless they do a shit ton of retconning or it's in another universe. It's not a simple '20 years later' story. It might be twenty years later but there is also either a time jump and so it's twenty years down the road for Eureka but not necessarily the world or they're in a parallel universe. Either way it's very deceptive of the writers to frame it like that.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 03:33   Link #596
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

The Japanese thing a few posts ago says that the original Eureka Seven was shown starting in 2005 (in the real world). Eureka Seven Ao is a new story, with a new hero, set in Okinawa in 2025 (in a fictional world). It doesn't commit to saying this is a direct sequel, but uses a word that could either mean sequel or just another in a series.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 09:53   Link #597
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
What's the bloody point?
It's a not uncommon practice in Japanese anime to do just that. To "reimagine" the story or characters or universe. If the new series has a good story I would be happy with either alternative.
Old 2012-04-19, 15:10   Link #598
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Ohhh man, this episode was so many kinds of cool.
It does such a great job at evoking the feeling of watching the original series.
And Kaori Nazuka is back as Eureka's VA so that's good!

OP is miles better than the ED btw (which is thankfully absent from the episode).

Spoiler for Ep2:
Old 2012-04-19, 17:36   Link #599
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Really, really liked Ep2. The action delivered, the plot is getting more interesting, the music is great, everything FEELS right. And above all... holy shit that OP. I cried watching the OP. Seriously. Nostalgia's a bitch, but goddamn they're hitting the right notes here. ;_;
Old 2012-04-19, 17:44   Link #600
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
The Japanese thing a few posts ago says that the original Eureka Seven was shown starting in 2005 (in the real world). Eureka Seven Ao is a new story, with a new hero, set in Okinawa in 2025 (in a fictional world). .
Well, this just said it. So it's alright not to expect too much like seeing the previous cast in this one. (haven't watch it yet, just finishing other animes)

I missed the surfBots.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem, mecha, romance, science fiction, shounen