Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-05-09, 02:10   Link #5701
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Low velocity, high stopping power. Aim for the forehead would do.
I see, somehow a part of me was worried that the bullet would stop somewhere in the cortex before reaching the brainstem.

Above the bridge of the nose between the eyes is okay, right?
Old 2012-05-09, 02:14   Link #5702
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
I see, somehow a part of me was worried that the bullet would stop somewhere in the cortex before reaching the brainstem.

What the hell, if here is so much trouble, just shoot him in the kneecap and bash him to death with the pistol!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 02:15   Link #5703
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

...am I ever going to get an explanation as to why you're asking such questions, Detective-san?
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 02:22   Link #5704
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Just simple explanation would be fine. Time travel is only possible in paper but actually building one is definitely the problem. How would travel? How would you break the time barrier?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 02:53   Link #5705
Merilyn Mensola
I am a Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I believe those who fired a 12-g shotgun with buckshot here can vindicate me on its destructive power within 25m. Zombie or human, the one on the receiving end can easily have a body part blown off at close range, or have his holes punched through his body by the sheer force of each pellet.

Ask gryslyjager. Although he seems to like sharpshooter weapons, I believe he has a shotgun or two in his collection.

Yeah..you're right..i couldn't resist to make a joke.
Old 2012-05-09, 02:58   Link #5706
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Just simple explanation would be fine. Time travel is only possible in paper but actually building one is definitely the problem. How would travel? How would you break the time barrier?
Depends on what theory you're working under the assumption of.

The past is tricky, but if it's the future then what you want to do is use a whole lot of gravity to bend spacetime into a narrow 'v'.
Old 2012-05-09, 03:00   Link #5707
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Quote:

I always figured execution style would be best. You know, blindfold them, put them on their knees, and fire a shot into the back of their head.

Quote:
Depends on what theory you're working under the assumption of.

The past is tricky, but if it's the future then what you want to do is use a whole lot of gravity to bend spacetime into a narrow 'v'.
Similar principle would work for warping. Instead of bending time, bend space.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?

Last edited by dragon4dudes; 2012-05-09 at 03:02. Reason: added response
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 03:02   Link #5708
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Hmm, so that's the reason why they always mention blackholes. Well, anyway "bendtime", hmmm..is time a thing or a in a physical state to be able to be bent? I mean like Light.. and why bending it? why not going through it like crossing a bridge.
Old 2012-05-09, 03:07   Link #5709
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Hmm, so that's the reason why they always mention blackholes. Well, anyway "bendtime", hmmm..is time a thing or a in a physical state to be able to be bent? I mean like Light.. and why bending it? why not going through it like crossing a bridge.
There's a reason it's called the 'fabric' of spacetime.

So basically think of it as a giant panyo. If you fold or bend the panyo you're able to walk from one edge to the other much quicker than if you were to walk over it like you would usually do.

Interesting that you mention black-holes actually, that's more-or-less the amount of gravity you would need at the very least.
Old 2012-05-09, 03:13   Link #5710
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
So basically think of it as a giant panyo. If you fold or bend the panyo you're able to walk from one edge to the other much quicker than if you were to walk over it like you would usually do.
Is that the same like I seen with ball sinking into something like a panyo?
Old 2012-05-09, 03:29   Link #5711
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Is that the same like I seen with ball sinking into something like a panyo?
I'm not sure about that analogy but to make clear what I was trying to illustrate: when you put things (matter) on the panyo (spacetime), it folds (gravity). When you do that, other things (matter) get pulled (gravitational pull) towards the thing (matter) because the panyo (spacetime) is now in the shape of a slope.

In other words, with enough gravity, you can bend spacetime enough that time-travel is possible.
Old 2012-05-09, 03:37   Link #5712
NeoChan
Banned

Quote:
In other words, with enough gravity, you can bend spacetime enough that time-travel is possible.
Like how? Time must be in a state where you can go through it, like digging tunnel across a mountain.
NeoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 04:03   Link #5713
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoChan View Post
Like how? Time must be in a state where you can go through it, like digging tunnel across a mountain.
It's more like a line, what gravity does is it shortens the distance from one point in the line to another.
Old 2012-05-09, 06:48   Link #5714
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

I'd recommend a minutephysics video, but relativity is difficult to understand in about a minute. So instead I linked his channel.

Old 2012-05-09, 13:47   Link #5715
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Is Time Travel possible? Of which is possible? Going to the past or going to the present?
Going to the present is easy, we're already here. Well, depending on your concept of present...

I assume you meant future instead of present so I'll give my answer with that in mind. As far as I know it's currently theoretically (and therefore practically as well) impossible to travel to the past with the current physics knowledge available to the human race.

It is however rather simple to travel to the future but not only is it a one way ticket it is also impossible to achieve with our current level of technology and scientific knowledge. There's two ways of technically going to the future: cryogenicaly freezing one self with a "timer" to unfreeze in a given timeframe (but that's not really time travel) or travelling as close as theoretically possible to the speed of light.

If you travel at 0.9999 * c what happens is what's called time dilation: simply put if 40 years pass for "regular folks" only about 4 hours would pass for the person travelling on our hypothetical speed-of-light travelling spaceship (btw don't judge me on the math, I'm just using random numbers to exemplify).

So if one could somehow harness the enormous power required to accelerate to such speeds and withstand the overwhelming effect that tears apart matter itself at such speeds one could take a one way ticket to the future in comparison to others here on earth.

Spoiler for gunbuster:

This is actually the same effect that happens beyond the event horizon of a black hole: matter and light speed up to such lengths through gravity that it reaches a point where light itself is incapable of escaping the gravity pull therefore rendering a black hole invisible to us and causing light that passes close enough to it to "bend" in it's direction.

But I'll shut up before I start saying even more slightly inaccurate physics facts (since I'm just a Software Engineer, not a Physics Major).
Old 2012-05-09, 14:10   Link #5716
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
If you travel at 0.9999 * c what happens is what's called time dilation: simply put if 40 years pass for "regular folks" only about 4 hours would pass for the person travelling on our hypothetical speed-of-light travelling spaceship (btw don't judge me on the math, I'm just using random numbers to exemplify).
Saying like time is like a cage where in you need to go in light speed to escape it. Oh, you mean when you go faster, time moves slower? well, its hard to prove since no one yet was able to achieve light speed and observe the slowing of time.
Old 2012-05-09, 14:17   Link #5717
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

The effect is valid for any speed. You don't have to move close to the speed of light, but there it's the strongest of course.

It is well founded in experiments, you can measure it. It has some interesting effects.
For example, there are certain particles, that get created when cosmic radiation hits the athmosphere. These particles only exist a very short time, so short in fact, that even at the speed of light they would not be able to reach the earth's surface in time.

But because they move so fast, their time is slowed from our perspective and they do reach the surface.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 14:22   Link #5718
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
But because they move so fast, their time is slowed from our perspective and they do reach the surface.
I meant the traveler's perspective.

*got to sleep again its 3Am.
Old 2012-05-09, 14:25   Link #5719
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

That is a very good glimpse into the traverlers perspective. The basic particle physics is well known, so you can calculate what should happen if relativity is true and... it does.

Alternatively, spacecraft with good clocks.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 14:29   Link #5720
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Actually it has been proven. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...iv/airtim.html

Time slows down as you near the speed of light. It's only really hard to observe at speeds we're familiar with. Simple experiment concept would be to take 2 atomic clocks set for the same time. put one in a jet and set one on the earth. Have the jet simply fly at high speeds for like 10 revolutions around the Earth. Now compare the times the atomic clocks show. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

Tags
problem, q&a, serious