AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Old 2014-03-13, 22:34   Link #1
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Archertype Characters in Light Novel and their Origin

High School DxD. Accel World. Zero no Tsukaima. Infinite Stratos. Chrome Shelled Regios. Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon. Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei. Black Bullet. Seikoku no Ryu Kishi. Sword Art Online. Date a Live...

Hmm... Quite the list of famous Light Novel, isn't it?

But has anyone notice that they all have a string that connects all?

The Characters.

Yes, Anime, Manga or Games undoubtedly are repeative process of recycling tropes, especially in character development. But for Light Novel, you see, since Zero no Tsukaima, every series that are famous enough to get an anime adaption, their characters contain some distinguish traits.

1. Protagonist: Either the "Complete Failure/Ordinary" type or "Complete Badass" type.

2. Support Characters: This is where Feminism takes place. I think I don't need to explain dozen of archertypes-influenced girls, especially in Harem.

3. Antagonist: Satanist Cult, Check! Mysterious Council, Check! Crazy, Sadistic Dude who wants to destroy/create a world, Check!

So, I'm not here to complain. But could anyone point to me a series that sets the steps for typical character archertypes in Light Novel? For if you looks back in pre-2005 novels, the loop in characters isn't that heavy like this.

Plus, do you think that the center of a novel has moved from characters to the setting? Or, the true selling point of a story is its detailed world that surrounds the cast?

Last edited by Fireminer; 2014-03-13 at 22:46.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-14, 01:47   Link #2
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
So, I'm not here to complain. But could anyone point to me a series that sets the steps for typical character archertypes in Light Novel? For if you looks back in pre-2005 novels, the loop in characters isn't that heavy like this.
I'm pretty sure Shana from Shakugan no Shana started the trope of "out-of-the-ordinary girl with a weapon". She may have also unleashed the Tsunderie trope, which boosted the fame of Toradora's Taiga Aisaka, Zero no Tsukaima's Louise Francois de la Valliere, Hayate no Gotoku's Nagi Sanzenin and, to a lesser extent, Aria H. Kanzaki from Hidan no Aria.

The male protagonists often come in two ends of the spectrum. There are some who are doormats who at least know how to fight, and those who are considered as Mary Sues due to the arsenal of skills they have. In the middle are those who started off as weak, but slowly became stronger and eventually decided on which relationship he will pursue.

The Evil Roman Catholic Church trope has been present since the time of Alucard, though.

Quote:
Plus, do you think that the center of a novel has moved from characters to the setting? Or, the true selling point of a story is its detailed world that surrounds the cast?
As a big fan of Toaru Majutsu no Index and Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon, the important thing for any fantasy or sci-fi series is the ability to both create interesting characters and an immersive setting. Getting a subpar cast or a poorly constructed world are both things that light novel authors should avoid.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2014-03-14 at 01:59.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 00:33   Link #3
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Yes, you're correct. But also, I want to ask a question: Is the world around determinates the characters in LN now?

In short, the limitation of Setting Tropes to making characters. For example, "The Battle Harem High School Girls" Boom - A.K.A Serei Tsukai no Blade Dance, Infinite Stratos, Gakusen Toshi Asterisk, and many more. See the mold they use?

And what started this?
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 04:25   Link #4
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I think you mean archetype?
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 07:03   Link #5
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote: