AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-08-14, 09:37   Link #461
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Considering how Tsun to Dere Alice was in this episode every second she was on, I could have sworn she was.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 09:42   Link #462
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
JC Staff has a tendency to deviate a lot from the source material (and from what I've read, Kamisama no Memochou is no exception here).

It's at a point where I think JC Staff is genetically incapable of doing a truly faithful adaptation. They're the complete opposite of Kyoto Animation in that regard.

Kyoto Animation more or less lets the source material speak for itself (which fans of the source material naturally tend to like), whereas JC Staff basically takes their preferred action/comedy/fanservice blend, and ties to get just about every anime that they do to conform to it, even when it doesn't fit well and is at odds with the source material.

For example, any major female character that's even remotely like Shana ends up being a Shana-esque loli tsundere in the anime, and is frequently even given Shana's famous seiyu (KugRie) as her voice actress.

So I'm pleasantly surprised that Alice isn't voiced by KugRie, at least.
Erm, every studio has it's own 'style' that they add to the series they adapt- Shaft gets all psychedelic, Deen gets all blood jet stream, and ZEXCS gets all fanservicey. This whole "takes their preferred action/comedy/fanservice blend" might have something to do with their shows having similar vibes... But mostly because people just don't seem to remember any of their other shows except the popular ones... Which usually have a KugiRei Loli so despite what people are complaining, Kugimiya is still the deciding factor when most people choose to watch their shows because frankly I don't see alot of people bringing up their shoujo series.

Then you forget the most important thing about KyoAni... Sure they'll do a great and wonderful job... But good luck getting that sequel off the ground

And btw There wasn't a doubt in my mind that KugiRei wouldn't get that role- Alice isn't fiery enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Considering how Tsun to Dere Alice was in this episode every second she was on, I could have sworn she was.
There are different types of tsun reaction- Alice's tsun is different.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2011-08-14 at 09:57.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 10:13   Link #463
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Erm, every studio has it's own 'style' that they add to the series they adapt
True. But to me, a visual style (like what SHAFT and KyoAni have) is less of an issue than a characterization style.

For what it's worth, I also consider JC Staff >>>>> DEEN.

Which is why I'm not going to debate JC Staff with you much. I don't have a passionate hate or anything like that for JC Staff - I just find their choices mildly annoying at times.

In fairness, they do tend to get their hands on a lot of genuinely good works. Like this one.

Quote:
Then you forget the most important thing about KyoAni... Sure they'll do a great and wonderful job... But good luck getting that sequel off the ground
I fully agree with this. And it's a big part of the reason why I now like SHAFT more than I do KyoAni.
Old 2011-08-14, 10:17   Link #464
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
True. But to me, a visual style (like what SHAFT and KyoAni have) is less of an issue than a characterization style.

Which is why I'm not going to debate JC Staff with you much. I don't have a passionate hate or anything like that for JC Staff - I just find their choices mildly annoying at times.

In fairness, they do tend to get their hands on a lot of genuinely good works. Like this one.
I edited my post so you might not see it, but I pointed out that this whole "takes their preferred action/comedy/fanservice blend" might have something to do with their shows having similar vibes... But mostly because people just don't seem to remember any of their other shows except the popular ones... Which usually have a KugiRei Loli so despite what people are complaining, Kugimiya is still the deciding factor when most people choose to watch their shows (and thus remember them) because frankly I don't see alot of people bringing up their shoujo series.

(After Shana, Index and Railgun are the only 'successful' series that didn't use Kugimiya as a lead, but still follow the same vibe)

Quote:
For what it's worth, I also consider JC Staff >>>>> DEEN.
Fair enough
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 12:09   Link #465
Tenshi_
Dewgong >w<

What's all this negativity?? so I'm guessing majority of you are NOT looking forward to seeing 3rd season of Shana?? -_-;;
Old 2011-08-14, 12:24   Link #466
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Uh where the heck are you getting that idea from? If anything I'm pumped out for what I think (Shana III) is JC's best running and best looking series in a long time.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 12:54   Link #467
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Its not that J.C. Staff is terrible. Its just that there is a lot of room for improvement imho.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 13:06   Link #468
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

May I humbly suggest this thread if you really want to debate the merits of JC Staff? Very little on the last two pages has actually been about Kami-Memo.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 15:15   Link #469
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
It was a lot better this week, though felt kinda rushed in the second half with some rapid scene transitions.

Penguins and awkward situations. Did I watch the wrong show here?

One thing that was really nice was the conversation with Renji; the dialogue felt like an actual conversation and also those random shots of animals and the polar bear weakness. You could feel that they're getting along well, but at the same time feel that Renji's shady as fuck. And shit happens...

I also like how Alice showed up to check on Narumi in fear of him being converted to carbon atoms. She just look like she just got out of bed.

But all is not well, as the dojo master and Renji have something going on, probably over the woman that died. That's a source of heated tension that will probably blow up very soon.

Meanwhile, Narumi feels he doesn't need bodyguards. Because they were too retarded to keep up with him, he might have a point, but it wouldn't take much for him to regret his choice. Almost gets owned here, and Alice gets pissed at him for quite a good reason this time. Does he really want to meet up with this Renji guy still?

But fortunately with the doll of combat, Narumi will get through unscathed.

Maybe.

Also, Alice is cute. /fanboy.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 20:14   Link #470
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Page 4: The Hanamaru Soup Incident

Gone the previous two weeks due to a business trip. Now, I'm back.

On-Topic

While this fourth episode was hilarious, indeed, still it nicely showed and explored Mins' feelings and motivations to have nothing else to work on but ramen.

This is not a good example, but it's worth viewing if anyone's interested about ramen, then give it a shot.

Spoiler:

And, poor Narumi that he as the messenger got thrashed at the end of the episode....
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 15:38   Link #471
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

So, I think it's safe to say that Alice clearly has developed an interest in Narumi beyond that of a mere friend, judging by her actions, though she's still very naive. I guess for all her delusion of grandeur, she's still a little girl deep down inside in both physique and mindset.

I don't think Renji is as bad as he looks, he's just seriously misunderstood, being the leader of an old Yakuza gang with some sort of control remaining over his minions. I'm curious to how Narumi will end the conflict – and probably carve himself into Alice's heart even more.
Old 2011-08-15, 16:00   Link #472
JediNight
キズランダム

I think at least part of what Alice likes about Narumi is that they both suffer from self-confidence issues and shyness of a sort.

Narumi doesn't like confrontations, doesn't have a very big "presence" with people, not very many useful skills, easily gets dragged along by other peoples whims, etc. But he overcomes his faults and pushes himself into being more outgoing in situations he feels truly matters.

Alice admires this, because while she's found her niche at being adept at surveillance, she has trouble expressing her feelings to people publicly and pushing herself into new situations.

So I believe she sees in Narumi what she would like to say and do herself, but is too timid to try.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 20:04   Link #473
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Let me put it this way... I have no novel knowledge, and hardly could check even previews... but after watching the 1hr 1st episode, I expected to see Requiem for a Dream animated, and I got episodes of token plot accompanying a fan-service loli (on paper) and a well directed, but rather trivial (expectations considered) gang vs friendship arc. Still, after psycho penguins and time-travel gimmicks this one is definitely worth watching.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 05:22   Link #474
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I like how Kamisama is going. We had Gosick for war antics, Dantalian for dynamic reading, Aria for... space marines gone wrong in the right way (if that makes any sense, cos it wasn't supposed to).

Kamisama for some half-boiled detection is welcome.

Oh and the I like the OP and EDs. BIG plus point these days, when I'm working on the wards. Gotta blot out the dying moans with something...
Old 2011-08-18, 12:05   Link #475
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 6 was another good one ... I like how the relationship between Narumi and Alice is shown growing bit by bit.

Also - the reference to Narumi having a face like a blank capybara was extremely funny: I literally lol'd!
Old 2011-08-18, 19:48   Link #476
Jin Kizuite
Guns Galore!

Send a message via MSN to Jin Kizuite
Hey guys. I consider myself a smart person (at least I hope!) especially in terms of anime stuff.

When it comes to this anime show however I can't help but feel baffled at what the heck is going on. Six episodes in and for me I just feel lost and confused in a plot i'm trying to find. I'm just not following, am I the only person? D:

The only thing that has me watching this show is because of the good animation. x_x

Credit @ fallschirmjager
Jin Kizuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 21:41   Link #477
SirusRiddler
Mari-nyan <3

I just figured I ask this here but...

Does anyone else find themselves subconsciously comparing this show to Nisioisin's Zaregoto Series? At least the first two volumes since I'm pretty much convinced the rest of them will never be translated.

It actually really annoys me that I do since I put Zaregoto on a much different level than Kamisama. Yet I keep finding a lot of similarities in terms of the characters...or it just might be my mind reaching to create comparisons.

That said, Kunagisa > Alice (who actually seems like a mix of Kunagisa and Aikawa if you know what I mean) by a million miles and I wish White Fox would adapt Zaregoto Series since they did so well with Katanagatari.

"Choose your own legacy, it's for you to decide." - Solid Snake
SirusRiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 22:59   Link #478
Bullet2k4

so if this is a modern day gosick then Narumi will hook up with a girl who not looks underage but really is?
Bullet2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 23:37   Link #479
EroKing

They could always use the "let's hook up 5 years from now" theme
Old 2011-08-18, 23:40   Link #480
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

In all my expectations, I would have never figured Alice would have been a Tsundere Or maybe I'm viewing that sudden scene in the wrong way

Tags
bromance, comedy, drama, slice of life