Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-07-20, 13:11   Link #1
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family

Send a message via ICQ to AkihaTohno Send a message via AIM to AkihaTohno
The thing called friends

I'm sorry to even do this type of topic here, but I just need a slight bit of input from a 3rd party.
My friends say I take everything "to seriously", which I know I don't. When they jokingly insult me, I in turn jokingly get "hurt". It's only an act and I'm very sarcastic about it usually, and have some witty retort.
But they're ALWAYS saying "Oh you to seriously." when I never do! I know they're joking, someone even said "We don't tell you thing because we know you'll be hurt by it.".

How would I let them know I don't take everything as seriously as they think? Because I think if I tell them now, they'll be like "You're taking it to seriously!". Gwah.
AkihaTohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 13:40   Link #2
Ending

Uh-huh... You're taking it WAY too seriously. If they make you the butt of some joke, start planning revenge in a similar fashion and it will end pretty quick -if you do it in a "proper" way.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 13:52   Link #3
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

What are you doing to pretend you're hurt by their comments? It's possible you're not beign sarcastic enough.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 14:08   Link #4
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family

I don't mind their jokes or whatever they're doing, the only thing I mind is their opinion of me, which is turning into "He has no sense of humor." which I do! I go along with what they say sometimes too!

And I have tried to make a joke back, but that's taking it serious again because I have to defend myself. I go along with what they say, it's to serious. I make my own joke, it's to serious. I can't do anything without being "serious" to them, and it makes things really hard.

As for an insult, some of them say I'm stupid and I said a few times "Damn, I thought I went all this time without you knowing.". But it's not even in a serious tone, more of a sarcastic one. and STILL it's me taking things to seriously.
Old 2004-07-20, 14:13   Link #5
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkihaTohno
As for an insult, some of them say I'm stupid and I said a few times "Damn, I thought I went all this time without you knowing.". But it's not even in a serious tone, more of a sarcastic one. and STILL it's me taking things to seriously.
Pfft... that's too serious. You need to call whoever says that a "big poopiehead" next time. That'll shut him up for good.
Old 2004-07-20, 14:23   Link #6
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family

I just don't get what's serious about it actually... it's just me going along with it, would they rather me say "NO I'M NOT! You guys are mean!"??

But okay, I'll call them poopieheads from now on. see if it works.
Old 2004-07-20, 14:27   Link #7
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Well, if how you went along with it didn't work in the past, then the only way to fix this is to actually act stupid whenever they call you that. Say something like "I know you are, but what am I?!" or "Takes one to know one!" or look around and say "Who... me?"
Old 2004-07-20, 14:33   Link #8
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
I just don't get what's serious about it actually... it's just me going along with it, would they rather me say "NO I'M NOT! You guys are mean!"??

But okay, I'll call them poopieheads from now on. see if it works.
LOL! I love that!

There's no way to call someone serious if they use words like 'poopiehead!'

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 14:40   Link #9
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
You should be glad that people take what you say serious. It could be the other way around, namely that they will take everything you say as sarcasm/joke. Take it from someone who knows

Me: Wow, you look good today!
Friend: O_o Just shut up! Stop making fun of me.
Me: No, really. It's true.
Friend: Yeah, right
Me:

Oh well, I deserve that treatment anyway since I put a lot of effort coming there (including spamming the Maths mailing list to give people useless tips and to raise the paranoia the day before the exams) ^_^

It's hard to change the opinion of people who already expect you to say something serious/sarcastic in a given situation based on their previous experience of you (i.e. people who don't know would more likely grasp the sarcasm than your old friends. Or so. ).

BTW: Maybe saying "you take everything too serious" is sarcasm in itself and by complaing about that, you are too serious. But then again, you could be going along and fooling us all along!

Conclusion: You, my friend, are the epitome of sarcasm!

Spoiler:

Last edited by _Sin_; 2004-07-20 at 14:42. Reason: _Sin_ is the greatest! (But he cannot spell nor did he ever hear of the word grammar...)
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 14:46   Link #10
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

sarcastic insults from my friends is one of the best parts of my friendship, keeps life a little funny, not quite so monotone ... It is possible you get butthurt for no reason(seeing as how you didn't catch the sarcasm in boneyjellyfish's post) ...

Why don't you try to get them back using your own wit ... and no I'm talking calling them poopieheads ...
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 14:47   Link #11
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
Me: Wow, you look good today!
Friend: O_o Just shut up! Stop making fun of me.
Me: No, really. It's true.
Friend: Yeah, right
Me:
Lol! I bet that is what boneyjellyfish's life is like every day! Lol!

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-07-20, 14:51   Link #12
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
(seeing as how you didn't catch the sarcasm in boneyjellyfish's post) ...
Hah, but maybe you didn't see ther counter-sarcasm in his post? It's all so ing, isn't it?

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Well, if how you went along with it didn't work in the past, then the only way to fix this is to actually act stupid whenever they call you that. Say something like "I know you are, but what am I?!" or "Takes one to know one!" or look around and say "Who... me?"
Does this remind anyone else to the (in)famous insulting competitions of the great Monkey Island™ series?
Old 2004-07-20, 14:52   Link #13
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family

You're right. It is hard to change people's opinion's, and the ones I'm having trouble with are the people who've known me for the past 18 years of my life.
The new people I've been meeting, like me for not being serious. I act the same way with both groups. One thinks I'm always serious while the other knows how to have a good time.

...yes... I am being sarcastic. That was my intention.... bahahaha!
Old 2004-07-20, 14:54   Link #14
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
sarcastic insults from my friends is one of the best parts of my friendship, keeps life a little funny, not quite so monotone ... It is possible you get butthurt for no reason(seeing as how you didn't catch the sarcasm in boneyjellyfish's post) ...

Why don't you try to get them back using your own wit ... and no I'm talking calling them poopieheads ...
I don't blame people for taking things serious over the internet since all this is, is text. Your voice, presentation and tone are everything else, which the internet doesn't have.

*sorry for the double post! I was flying through ever so quickly.
Old 2004-07-20, 14:56   Link #15
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

When someone makes a sarcastic insult, the best way to answer is(and to show them you take it easy):

say with a serious voice that you agree, and add something that is even worse than the insult. So when you make yourself even worse then your friends did(in a funny way) you show them that you took it easy. Just a thought
Old 2004-07-20, 14:59   Link #16
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
Does this remind anyone else to the (in)famous insulting competitions of the great Monkey Island™ series?
Oh yeah?! Well you fight like a cow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
You guys are so mean...
Old 2004-07-20, 15:07   Link #17
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Since you already countered, it's no use to list the respective insult, is it?(For the curious: "You fight like a dairy farmer")

Well then: You're as repulsive as a monkey in a negligee!

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyEd
Take this....... I will milk every drop of blood from your body! ^^
You can't counter something that's already a counter in itself. That's unfair

Last edited by _Sin_; 2004-07-20 at 15:20. Reason: Trolling around. Feed me!
Old 2004-07-20, 15:15   Link #18
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Quote:
I don't blame people for taking things serious over the internet since all this is, is text. Your voice, presentation and tone are everything else, which the internet doesn't have.

*sorry for the double post! I was flying through ever so quickly.
I'm not agreeing with you here, the tone is quite hard to catch. But text or no text whenever someone suggests you call someone a poopiehead and you actually consider it ... yeh ... there's your problem right there.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 15:17   Link #19
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:

Take this....... I will milk every drop of blood from your body! ^^
SimplyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 15:19   Link #20
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
You guys are so mean...
You're taking it too seriously!