AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-27, 21:41   Link #1
Menshi

Animes with Anti-hero main characters

Usually i'd just use a recommendation website, but this is sort of a specific request. I'd like to see more animes with a Lelouch,Gatts,Hiei, Revy, Alucard or Dark Schneider like character as the main character.... someone without morals. While looking through my list I realized that they're pretty rare. I don't really care what genre the anime is and I guess if it's even a main side character thats evil it might be alright.

I love Trigun, but throughout the whole thing I always think wow if Vash actually were a cold blooded killer i'd enjoy this series much more.

http://www.anime-planet.com/users/an...ed&perpage=all
*Heres a list of what i've already seen/dropped* Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 2008-01-27, 21:47   Link #2
kjk8288
Caffein > Sleep

Light from Death note definately fits. Light is exactly opposite from what a hero should be, evil to the extreme.
Old 2008-01-27, 22:01   Link #3
NightSamurai

Kaze no Stigma seems to fit your description
Old 2008-01-27, 23:01   Link #4
tbl
Affably Evil

I'd say light is technically an anti-villain.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2008-01-27, 23:28   Link #5
kjk8288
Caffein > Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl View Post
I'd say light is technically an anti-villain.
But he's not a hero either, he wouldn't hesitate to kill innocent people if they get in the way and he wants world domination where he is God. He's closer to a villian than a hero.
Old 2008-01-28, 03:12   Link #6
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

only two people stand out in the anti-hero protagonist category:

The male leads of Death Note and Code Geass
Old 2008-01-28, 03:32   Link #7
tbl
Affably Evil

You might want to check out this thread, quite recent: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=61369
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2008-01-28, 03:57   Link #8
NightSamurai

anti-hero: A central figure in a work that repels us by his or her actions or morality, yet who is not a villain. The Anti-hero accomplishes a useful purpose or even does heroic deeds.
anti-villain: is a character in a film, drama or literary work who pursues undeniably villainous ends, but employs methods that are arguably noble in order to advance his interests.

Looking at these definitions it is kind of hard to determine which Yagami Light falls under, personally I would define him as an anti-villain due to his goal of setting himself as a god; but then again I wouldn't necessarily define killing off "possible" criminals as "noble". But then again it all depends on your perspective, as one of Light's other goals was to establish a peaceful world... But these are merely semantics so I will stop wasting your time, I believe we all get the gist of what the TC wants.
Old 2008-01-28, 04:05   Link #9
jedinat

Watched the first two episodes of Hakaba Kitaro just yesterday. Kitaro seems definite anti-hero material: Last survivor of the ghost tribe; doesn't understand humans; has an evil laugh; spends his free time in hell; etc.
Old 2008-01-28, 10:48   Link #10
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Since you liked Revy, you could try Noir or Madlax. The characters there are not as cynical on the outside as Revy but have no qualms about killing people for money. And they kill quite a lot of people indeed.

Old 2008-01-28, 23:34   Link #11
Saber Cherry
Marionette

As stated, Death Note and Code Geass fit perfectly. However, their main characters are somewhat altruistic... they simply don't care what gets caught in their paths.

And I'll add two more to the list:
Gokudo is comic/fantasy/action, sort of like Slayers, but the main character is totally amoral, whereas Lina is just greedy.
Darker Than Black, like Noir, stars an assassin. It is unclear, at least for the first 20 episodes (where I am now), whether he has any morals; but he is certainly not altruistic.
Old 2008-01-29, 00:10   Link #12
tbl
Affably Evil

I know Light has somewhat noble intentions, but I can't see him as anything but a villain. He's a psychopathic serial killer on a massive scale.

Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate (which is better) - Alucard.

Old 2008-01-30, 22:22   Link #13
S Class hunter Amon

death note or code geass.....
Old 2008-01-30, 22:28   Link #14
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Lucy in Elfen Lied
Old 2008-01-31, 00:23   Link #15
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Lucy in Elfen Lied
Funny, I never thought of her as the 'hero', just the... 'subject'. But she is certainly wanting for a code of conduct. Along the same lines, Higurashi might qualify. I can't say that there is anyone who comes out smelling like roses, except for maybe one character, but I have not seen all of it. They all seem so cute and innocent, until...

Let me just say, I would not want to be stuck in a dark room with ANY of the characters in that series. Whereas with most of the other nominees, except Lucy, I'd feel somewhat safe.

There's also the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs. Kenshin is a sweet, cheerful pacifist in the TV series, but in his prior life, that was not so...
Old 2008-01-31, 21:39   Link #16
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Send a message via ICQ to stelok Send a message via AIM to stelok Send a message via MSN to stelok Send a message via Yahoo to stelok
Gun X Sword: Throughout the entire anime, Van rarely played hero. All Van cares about is getting revenge on the person who killed his bride. Van sometimes even ignores helpless people who asked for his help

Darker Than Black: Hei isn't exactly playing hero all the time. He works as an assassin for the syndicate but he has also helped others in spite of his lack of heroism.

Samurai Deeper Kyo: Demon Eyes Kyo is bad, very bad, but not evil. He is not good, either. He is such a badass fighter, caring only about what he wants and not caring about heroism, good and evil.

Neither Revy nor Hei are heroes. Revy is a mercenary, not dissimilar to Han Solo from Star Wars. Revy never plays hero nor fights for the good of the people. She fights for her own reasons but she is not a bad person, she is just selfish. In fact she fights to not just help herself, She also fights to help Rock.
She told him that she is Rock's gun and willing to protect Rock even though she has no interest in saving the Yakuza schoolgirl.
Old 2008-02-02, 03:08   Link #17
itis

Sunabozu aka Desert Punk. The lead character has no morals. He has no problem taking advantage of people, just to satisfy his greed. The first episode is kind of dull, but it gets better.
Old 2008-02-03, 22:52   Link #18
blewin

Mugen from Samurai Champloo. He just kills whomever he doesn't like. He makes a contractive companion to one of his other travelling buddies, who is totally opposite in terms of moral code.
Old 2008-02-03, 23:43   Link #19
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSamurai View Post
anti-hero: A central figure in a work that repels us by his or her actions or morality, yet who is not a villain. The Anti-hero accomplishes a useful purpose or even does heroic deeds.
anti-villain: is a character in a film, drama or literary work who pursues undeniably villainous ends, but employs methods that are arguably noble in order to advance his interests.
I'm not quite sure you've got anti-villain down.
Anti-villains are those that pursue a noble goal (purification of the world) through villainous deeds (pwn'ing criminals).
I would actually say that Raito-kun is both an anti-hero and anti-villain, though you wouldn't really consider him a hero.
Old 2008-02-03, 23:50   Link #20
NightSamurai

Quote:
I'm not quite sure you've got anti-villain down.
Anti-villains are those that pursue a noble goal (purification of the world) through villainous deeds (pwn'ing criminals).
That is an anti-hero, not an anti-villain.
Closed Thread