AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-07, 12:29   Link #1
marvelB

[Manga] Chapter 444 Discussion

As per the forums rules, please don't ask or mention where to download the (licensed) manga. Also remember not to post or link to any translations of the manga, since this is illegal as well. Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome) but please do not discuss scans, raws, translation groups, etc.

Well, I thought I'd start the chapter thread early! Normally I avoid spoilers, but the need to see more Brooke awesomeness overpowered me... but disappointingly, he's not in this chapter. Well, the stuff that DOES happen this chapter is still cool nonetheless, so here's a summary:

- The crew talks about Thrillerburke. The island is always moving, so they can't lower their anchor since they're still moving around in the middle of the ocean. Nami and Chopper catch Usopp's "Can't go to the island" disease. XD

- Luffy decides to go ahead to the island. Robin and Franky decide to join him. Franky then explains the Soldier Dock System. There are 5 channels: 2 zeroes, along with 1, 2, 3, and 4. Channel 0 is the paddle wheels we saw a couple of chapters ago, Channel 1 is the Waver, 3 is a submarine, but the real surprise comes from Channel 2... the shopping boat, Mini-Merry! However, Franky still hasn't finished Channel 4 yet, but says he'll install weapons in it eventually.

- Usopp, Nami and Chopper ride on Mini-Merry. However, something happened and a scream is heard. The rest of the crew are worried, and suddenly, Sunny's anchor lowered by itself. The hatch opens itself up, as well. Suddenly, wierd stuff happens: Luffy's face stretches by itself, and one of Zoro's swords attacks Luffy by itself. Luffy gets saved by Franky, and the others figure that they are attacked by ghosts. Robin says she heard the howling of a beast...

- Sanji jumps off the ship to rescue the other three stuck in Mini-Merry, but something grabs his foot and he crashes to the floor. He then gets thrown back. Something licks Robin from her chest up to her cheek (whoa!), which naturally gets Sanji upset, but before he can do anything, a wave rocks Sunny. Luffy said he heard a beast's houl too, and Robin says that the thing that licked her is gone. However, Sunny is now drifting away from the island, so the others yell for Franky to do something. He brings out a swimming pool, but the others just get mad, as Sunny continues drifting away....

- Meanwhile, at the island, Usopp, Nami and Chopper are already in the island. Nami said that she was too excited about Mini-Merry, so she got careless and ended up having the ship crash into the island. They're under a moat, but they decide to go elsewhere to wait for the rest of the crew. However, they have a run-in with a legendary beast: Cerberus. However, for some strange reason, one of the Cerberus heads is a fox head. The beast chases them for a while, but they manage to hide up a tree. Up the tree they run into someone called "Hildon", who said that he saw them get attacked by the dog, then says that he wants to take them in a carriage to a mansion of someone called "Doctor Hogbag-sama". Chopper seems to have an interesting reaction to the name "Hogbag"....

Wow, a lot of stuff sure happens in this chapter! Now to just wait for the scans....

Last edited by xris; 2007-02-07 at 13:13.
Old 2007-02-07, 12:54   Link #2
Climhazard
Funk Freed

Man! i just read that translation and damn this is one long chapter
Old 2007-02-07, 16:44   Link #3
marvelB

Well, wouldn't ya know it! Not long after I post the summary the scans came out! Gotta love that Soldier Dock System (especially the Mini-Merry!) And that Cerberus looks so awesome (I love how the fox head gets mad when Usopp talks about him), and Hildon looks pretty cool, too. I also noticed that the carriage seems to what looks like a centaur and some creepy dog-looking thing tied to it. My guess is that all of the creatures in the island are created b that Dr. Hogback person (notice how they all have stitches?) Looks like Oda intends to introduce as many bizarre characters as possible in this story arc (the lack of Brooke still bothers me, though...). Can't wait for the next chapter!
Old 2007-02-08, 08:34   Link #4
DrFuko

Brooke's destiny is to fight the mime looking guy from the Blackbeard's group. Trust me man, he is not going anywhere.
Old 2007-02-08, 10:34   Link #5
S_C_L-1

Nami made me lol in this chapter

Quote:
I have can't-get-on-this-island-itis
Quote:
its entirely my fault but you'll forgive me cuz im cute right?
Old 2007-02-08, 13:22   Link #6
airsBlue

Send a message via MSN to airsBlue
well quite nice events happening, even though i don't like the idea of brooke being the musician, i really like his character .. and i think he is going to stay (well luffy decided not to leave without him ) and also this chapter will be a very long one ...

also i am not sure but from chopper expression it looks like he heard about Dr. Hogback ... i think chopper will learn how to control his 8th transformation, and increase the time for rumble ball.
Old 2007-02-08, 22:24   Link #7
chitgoks

those arent ghosts for sure that toyed with them. just some guy with gravity devil fruit user ability
Old 2007-02-08, 22:38   Link #8
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Another great chapter. I really enjoy those long book-like chapters from Oda.

We are drawn into an interesting ghost story, and another suspicious character pops up. Maybe an old friend of Chopper's step-mother, Dr. Kureha. That lady is old enough to have long-term relationships with ghosts.

Luffy's hunting face to a few others' cries is a classic, and still highly enjoyable. And Nami's cute innocent face is equally good. Hopefully this arc will get better with each chapter.
Old 2007-02-08, 23:34   Link #9
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
Another great chapter. I really enjoy those long book-like chapters from Oda.

We are drawn into an interesting ghost story, and another suspicious character pops up. Maybe an old friend of Chopper's step-mother, Dr. Kureha. That lady is old enough to have long-term relationships with ghosts.

Luffy's hunting face to a few others' cries is a classic, and still highly enjoyable. And Nami's cute innocent face is equally good. Hopefully this arc will get better with each chapter.
Well this was kind of a boring chapter...I pray that Oda hurries and skips past this Ghost Island and get to Fishman Island Quick.......
Old 2007-02-09, 00:08   Link #10
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phenomenol View Post
Well this was kind of a boring chapter...I pray that Oda hurries and skips past this Ghost Island and get to Fishman Island Quick.......
This is what One Piece is about, a full-fledged adventure...

Even if there is no action, the dialogs and the character development is enough to enjoy the chapter, at least for me, but, it seems not true for everybody.

Maybe, this arc will lead interesting results, in addition to acquiring a new member, such as the suggestion made above, Chopper gaining information to consciously upgrade his power. Maybe, they will learn other important information about devil fruit abilities, that will help them gain the upperhand against very strong devil fruit users. Or maybe break some of the limitations associated with their abilities...
Old 2007-02-09, 02:38   Link #11
S_C_L-1

Or maybe zoro will get a new sword? a haunted sword that talks would be awesome
Old 2007-02-09, 05:07   Link #12
RonaldC

Best chapter ever. Thriller Park is so cool!
Old 2007-02-10, 02:22   Link #13
Phenomenal
Banned

Quote:
This is what One Piece is about, a full-fledged adventure...

Even if there is no action, the dialogs and the character development is enough to enjoy the chapter, at least for me, but, it seems not true for everybody.

Maybe, this arc will lead interesting results, in addition to acquiring a new member, such as the suggestion made above, Chopper gaining information to consciously upgrade his power. Maybe, they will learn other important information about devil fruit abilities, that will help them gain the upperhand against very strong devil fruit users. Or maybe break some of the limitations associated with their abilities...
Wrong, One Piece has adventure in it but it is NOT a "full-fledged" adventure. We do have pirates, world powers and armies in One Piece and what do these things do?? they fight.

Their was no character development in this chapter.

I agree with your last post! But, I PRAY to GOD that they reach Jinbei's island quickly!!!!!

Last edited by Phenomenal; 2007-02-10 at 02:32.
Old 2007-02-11, 14:23   Link #14
iKumdo
Chodan

Send a message via AIM to iKumdo
Quote:
Wrong, One Piece has adventure in it but it is NOT a "full-fledged" adventure. We do have pirates, world powers and armies in One Piece and what do these things do?? they fight.
uh... Do you even know what an adventure is? People often fight in adventure stories. You can call it action-adventure if you want, but if you think a couple of fights make it so, then there is no point in having genres.

Quote:
I agree with your last post! But, I PRAY to GOD that they reach Jinbei's island quickly!!!!!
Assuming they even go there, and assuming Jinbei is on that island. I personally don't care much for Jinbei; I think the Shichibukai are boring.
Old 2007-02-11, 16:59   Link #15
Phenomenal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKumdo View Post
uh... Do you even know what an adventure is? People often fight in adventure stories. You can call it action-adventure if you want, but if you think a couple of fights make it so, then there is no point in having genres.

Assuming they even go there, and assuming Jinbei is on that island. I personally don't care much for Jinbei; I think the Shichibukai are boring.
Yes I know what an adventure is, but responding to Sazelyt saying that One Piece is a "full-fledged adventure" with no action. I mainly suggests that it does.

The SH said they were going to Fishman island...but your right Ninbei may or may not be on the island. LOL! You call the Shichibukai boring yet you had a Major villain in Crocodile who damn near ended the series for the SH. Not too mention that the Shichibukia are pirates suppose to be allies to the governemnt yet some have already revealed hidden agenda's. Shichibukai are exciting characters.
Old 2007-02-11, 19:13   Link #16
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
One Piece is not a typical action shounen like Naruto or Bleach. That is one of the reasons why you can create a filler without disrupting the harmony of the story.

What you said is still true, that the focal point of the story is the relationship between pirates and world government, but it is not what the show is *all* about. There is the skypie arc, where you have one of the opposing forces missing, and you have an interesting opponent that has no effect on the relationship between WG and pirates. And, that arc also started slow but it finished strong. The beginning of this one has more suspicion in it than the skypie arc, and it moved forward faster than the skypie arc. So, it is all within the boundaries of the show.

In addition to what I mentioned above, maybe the crew will find another Poneglyph there.

Quote:
Their was no character development in this chapter.
We have many chapters that have no character development, no action, etc., but still full of enyoment of the moment. This is another one (unless you consider the arc as the one to strengthen the friendship bonds of the crew in a more healthy way - Franky acting first time as a part of the crew). So, just enjoy, it will feel better.
Old 2007-02-11, 20:01   Link #17
marvelB

I too, am also more interested in this storyline than the upcoming Merman Island. I've been waiting for this series to have a ghost storyline for some time now (what good pirate story doesn't have ghosts/undead in it?), and so far, Oda hasn't disappointed. And about the character development... well the storyline just started. There's plenty of time for the current Straw-Hats to get some kind of development (though right now I'm really more interested in seeing Brooke's personality fleshed out more in the upcoming chapters).

Oh, and I'm hoping that Dr. Hogback is the stereotypical "creepy old mad scientist", done Oda-style of course (maybe having a wierd laugh like "Kakakakaka" or something).
Old 2007-02-11, 20:40   Link #18
Phenomenal
Banned

Quote:
One Piece is not a typical action shounen like Naruto or Bleach. That is one of the reasons why you can create a filler without disrupting the harmony of the story.

What you said is still true, that the focal point of the story is the relationship between pirates and world government, but it is not what the show is *all* about. There is the skypie arc, where you have one of the opposing forces missing, and you have an interesting opponent that has no effect on the relationship between WG and pirates. And, that arc also started slow but it finished strong. The beginning of this one has more suspicion in it than the skypie arc, and it moved forward faster than the skypie arc. So, it is all within the boundaries of the show.

In addition to what I mentioned above, maybe the crew will find another Poneglyph there.

We have many chapters that have no character development, no action, etc., but still full of enyoment of the moment. This is another one (unless you consider the arc as the one to strengthen the friendship bonds of the crew in a more healthy way - Franky acting first time as a part of the crew). So, just enjoy, it will feel better.
Okay, we all like different color roses..............
Old 2007-02-11, 21:05   Link #19
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Okay, we all like different color roses..............
It is good to know that you still consider it as a rose .
Old 2007-02-11, 21:53   Link #20
Phenomenal
Banned

Quote:
It is good to know that you still consider it as a rose .
Yeah, and Jinbei is that rose.
Closed Thread