AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-05, 23:46   Link #1
choowee
lurkeress

Smile Which of Hayao Miyazaki's works do you think is his best?

Many consider that Hayao Miyazaki is to anime as William Shakespeare is to plays. My question to you is do you agree with this statement (the gist of it, I know the anolgy isn't perfect), and if you do, what work do you think best defines his genius?
Old 2004-04-06, 00:00   Link #2
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
ok shakespere SUCKS huis stuff is a bunch of crap IHO I mean like me made up his own...n/m LOL

Hayao Miyazaki isn't that spectacular I mean he is very good but Tezuka OWNZ. My favorite will be Howl's Moving Castle but nowit is Totroro ^-^
Old 2004-04-06, 00:40   Link #3
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by choowee
Many consider that Hayao Miyazaki is to anime as William Shakespeare is to plays. My question to you is do you agree with this statement (the gist of it, I know the anolgy isn't perfect), and if you do, what work do you think best defines his genius?
You know my friend that I fully agree with you >_> Read this!

That should be enough proof

Future Boy Conan is tha best !
Old 2004-04-06, 02:46   Link #4
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

i haven't seen much of Miyazaki's works unfortunately, the one that truly snagged me was Spirited Away, though
Mononoke Hime (i think it was done by him...Studio Ghibli did it at least) is one of my all time favorites (and my first exposure to truly violent anime)
Old 2004-04-06, 06:47   Link #5
baka
Apathy

Send a message via AIM to baka
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Old 2004-04-06, 06:52   Link #6
dpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
Mononoke Hime (i think it was done by him...Studio Ghibli did it at least) is one of my all time favorites (and my first exposure to truly violent anime)
Yes. It is done by him.
Mononoke Hime is my favorite Miyazaki anime. It's great!
Old 2004-04-06, 09:06   Link #7
SimplyEd
Claytard

well, as far as manga are concerned that would most probably be Kaze no Tani no Nausicaa, one of the greatest and most epic manga of all time and if you don't know about it by now, you should hurry to get your copy at the next store ASAP.

The same goes for anime, although i think that the anime version of Nausicaa was a bit too short to truly grasp ideologic greatness of the manga. Still it's a great movie and fits nicely into all those other great movies made by studio ghibli. It's really hard to tell which one should be the best because all of them are at least equally great.
Old 2004-04-06, 11:36   Link #8
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Personally, my favorite Ghibli movies/series are the earlier ones. Not Future Boy Canon either, I really disliked that series, but movies like Mimi wo Sumaseba, Kurenai No Buta and Omohide Poro Poro rate highly with me. If I had to name one movie by Hayao Miyazaki as his best I'd have to say Mononoke Hime.

Honestly, Hayao Miyazaki is good but I find him a little over rated. There are other Producers/Directors who are just as good, if not better, than him.
Old 2004-04-06, 12:01   Link #9
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

My favorite Miyazaki is definitely Nausicaa, but my favorite Ghibli is Grave of the Fireflies.
Old 2004-04-06, 12:06   Link #10
Bullsquat
Strange Love

I like his two most popular works. Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away but not as much as his older releases.

My favorite is Porco Rosso.
Old 2004-04-06, 13:24   Link #11
Dark Schneider

my favorate one is Porco Rosco
Old 2004-04-06, 13:33   Link #12
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choowee
I agree - but to a certain extent. Shakespeare brought us the world his vast genre of plays arraying from his Globe Theater. Miyazaki also brought to the outside (of Japan), his imaginitive and awe-inspiring anime filled with rich themes. In a sense, they are similar. Much so does the late Walt Disney who gave to the world, the first [successful?] animated motion picture - "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves" which I highly regard as a masterpiece even I myself am an avid anime viewer in Japan.

But there are those who have this sense of cult identity of formulating a creed that Miyazaki = "god" of anime. This, I disagree strongly. While Miyazaki Hayao has created many anime that are worth mentioning, equating him as a "god" of anime is controvertible. Much like there were playwrights before Shakespeare, there were anime before Miyazaki. Great Greek playwrights such as Sophocles, Aeschylus, Euripedes and Aristophanes existed well before Shakespeare, so much as "the great fathers of anime/manga" (members of the Tokiwa-sou flat) existed well before Miyazaki.

And of course, there were those pioneers who created the forefront of Japanese anime well before "the great fathers of anime/manga." The Shimokawa-Kouichi-Kitayama group that created Japan's first animation studio in the late 1910s. Yasushi Murata's 1923 experimental work with paper cutting on "Jirafu no Kubi wa Naze Nagai" and "Tako no Hone." Kenzo Masaoka's introduction of using cels in "Nansensu Monogatari: Sarugashima" (1930) and the first "talkie" anime with full cel production "Chikara to Onna no Yononaka" (1932). Who can forget Mitsuyo Seo's great wartime propaganda anime films "Momotaro no Shinpei" and "Momotaro no Umiwashi" that inspired one the great fathers at Tokiwasou - Tezuka Osamu?

Miyazaki Hayao is a great anime director. I love Nausicaa, and I still remember going to the movie theater to watch Laputa when I was six. I look foward to Howl. But is Miyazaki a "god?" No.
Old 2004-04-06, 13:51   Link #13
Saouri
Megami-sama

Send a message via MSN to Saouri Send a message via Yahoo to Saouri
Well...for me populariti is not the best for me.
Even if i consider Monokoe and Sen to Chihiro a really good work, i prefer Mimi wo Sumaseba, Laputa: Castle in the Sky and Nausicaä.
And i wish to see soon Howl's moving castle.
Old 2004-04-07, 01:04   Link #14
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Its true that there were many philosophers before Shakespeare, but Shakespeare IS THE GOD of literature, so its Mozart in music.
Miyazaki works are good but, not enough to be branded a GOD in the anime world. Anime is just entertainment, nothin more

Shakespeare and Mozart works are so mysterious and dark as higher mathematics...and universities are still studeing their works uncoverin their
secrets and miracles they wrote on paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
I agree - but to a certain extent. Shakespeare brought us the world his vast genre of plays arraying from his Globe Theater. Miyazaki also brought to the outside (of Japan), his imaginitive and awe-inspiring anime filled with rich themes. In a sense, they are similar. Much so does the late Walt Disney who gave to the world, the first [successful?] animated motion picture - "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves" which I highly regard as a masterpiece even I myself am an avid anime viewer in Japan.

But there are those who have this sense of cult identity of formulating a creed that Miyazaki = "god" of anime. This, I disagree strongly. While Miyazaki Hayao has created many anime that are worth mentioning, equating him as a "god" of anime is controvertible. Much like there were playwrights before Shakespeare, there were anime before Miyazaki. Great Greek playwrights such as Sophocles, Aeschylus, Euripedes and Aristophanes existed well before Shakespeare, so much as "the great fathers of anime/manga" (members of the Tokiwa-sou flat) existed well before Miyazaki.

And of course, there were those pioneers who created the forefront of Japanese anime well before "the great fathers of anime/manga." The Shimokawa-Kouichi-Kitayama group that created Japan's first animation studio in the late 1910s. Yasushi Murata's 1923 experimental work with paper cutting on "Jirafu no Kubi wa Naze Nagai" and "Tako no Hone." Kenzo Masaoka's introduction of using cels in "Nansensu Monogatari: Sarugashima" (1930) and the first "talkie" anime with full cel production "Chikara to Onna no Yononaka" (1932). Who can forget Mitsuyo Seo's great wartime propaganda anime films "Momotaro no Shinpei" and "Momotaro no Umiwashi" that inspired one the great fathers at Tokiwasou - Tezuka Osamu?

Miyazaki Hayao is a great anime director. I love Nausicaa, and I still remember going to the movie theater to watch Laputa when I was six. I look foward to Howl. But is Miyazaki a "god?" No.
Old 2004-04-07, 03:41   Link #15
Tommy
Mr. Prince

As far as anime MOVIES he is the best. I have yet to see anyone make a movie that gives me even close to the enjoyment as his movies.

Its a tough call between Spirted Away and Nausicaa for me, but I still haven't seen Porco Rosco, I hear its coming out in sept, here in the US.

Oh yeah has anybody heard if he's got a next movie planned out yet?

Edit- Just found out that his next movie is "Howls Moving Castle" and it comes out this year. Does anyone know exactly when?
Old 2004-04-07, 11:53   Link #16
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy
Edit- Just found out that his next movie is "Howls Moving Castle" and it comes out this year. Does anyone know exactly when?
Originally, "Howl's Moving Castle" was supposed to be released last year, but during the process, it was delayed as the director changed from Hosoda Mamoru to Miyazaki Hayao himself. Based on Diana Wynne Jones' "Howl's Moving Castle," it is now forecasted for a Fall 2004 showing at theaters in Japan. No specific date has been given.
Old 2004-04-07, 13:53   Link #17
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
I've only seen spirited away and mononoke hime i wan't to see them all!!! but from those two i'll choose... both, they are too great to pick just one.

But my favorite ghibli movie is Grave of the Fireflies, is actually my fav movie among all movies.
Old 2004-04-07, 15:34   Link #18
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

A good part of what makes Shakespeare seem so mythical is cause he lived some 300 years ago. If he wrote what he wrote back then today in today's language, it might not make that much of an impact until 300 years from today.

I'd say that he's good, and that he's made plenty of impact, but some people treat him like the greatest person in the world and worship him and thus, and these people go to bed clutching Hamlet in their arms (don't know about this, but hey, there might be! O_O )
Old 2004-04-07, 17:33   Link #19
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Angry Wtf!?

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I can't bare it! I can't bare it! How comes that nobody Execpt me mentioned Future Boy Conan?? That anime is the best! Good story, Drama, music, characters, good ending.... EVERYTHING.

*I must come down, I must come down, where did I leave my pills!?*
Old 2004-04-07, 20:13   Link #20
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

I dunno, but I personally disagree with you all and will say that Miyazaki is the GOD of anime, along with Isao Takahata of course -- only reason I vote Miyazaki over Takahata is because Takahata presented to us only three Ghibli works, while Miyazaki presented nine. Of course, Whisper of the Heart, Ocean Waves, and the Cat Returns, the non-Miyazaki/Takahata Ghibli works are also amazing.

It's really hard to rate Miyazaki and/or Takahata, for everything they do is mind-boggling in its glory. Grave of the Fireflies and Only Yesterday are way up there, and as for Miyazaki... hmm, it's a really tough call.

As for Future Boy Conan, I'm waiting until I get my hands on the whole series before watching any of it. I'm sure it's great, though. The first two episodes were pretty good.
Closed Thread