Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-04-06, 22:17   Link #1
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Advertising one's religion

>>>NOTE<<<
PLEASE take heed to the sensitive nature of this thread and do not start any flame wars. If you have a disagreement with someone calmly address the fault in their argument(s) and state your reasons for believing the person to be mistaken.

Having said that, I would like to start a discussion about what it means to advertise one's religion. Unlike some tyrant American president I fully support the practice of free speach. I've been a student at Purdue for 4 years now, and over the time I've seen multiple 'religous enthusiasts' claim some part of territory on campus and then start proclaiming their 'truth' to everyone. There is a middle-aged gentleman who has spent the better part of yesterday and today on campus debating with people about the existance of god, etc. After thinking about it, I realized that every religous enthusiast that has spoken his mind here over the past 4 years was in fact, Christian.

(1st set of questions)
Now I ask why are only Christians the ones who feel the need to do such an act? Is there some sort of rule or teaching that you must convert people over to your faith? Why don't I ever see any Buddist, or Muslim, or Jewish, or anyone other than Christians doing this?

(2nd set of questions)
Personally, I dislike hearing people like that man from today speak about their religion because they usually go trampling over other people's beliefs. Today I heard him proclaim in a bold voice "God isn't the fairytale. Evolution is the fairytale!" What if someone is sound in their belief that god doesn't exist? Or multiple gods existing? Obviously the man has a right to disagree and is entitled to his own opinion, but does anyone else agree that it is rude/arrogant to openly dismiss what other people believe? I don't go around proclaiming: "There is no god! If you believe in god then you are wrong! These are the facts!" If I said that I'd imagine that several Christian people would give me the beat-down (In fact on an episode of MTV's Jackass, a guy dressed in a devil costume did a similar public display, and some Christian guy passing by aggressively broke the guy's sign, pushed him aggressively, and punched him in the face).

So please discuss your opinions with us. Remember to keep the peace
(FYI: If you haven't figured it out I'm atheist)
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 22:20   Link #2
RichMan
????

w00t, go Athism.

I honestly don't know my religion. I'm undecided. Someday i'll be enlightened and then i'll know the truth.
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 22:34   Link #3
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

The same question came up during the gay marriage thread . The bible teaches them or rather asks them, to spread the word of god.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 22:36   Link #4
Aaron_b
The Missing Link

Quote:
Now I ask why are only Christians the ones who feel the need to do such an act? Is there some sort of rule or teaching that you must convert people over to your faith?
As far as I'm concerned, that's why Jesus had the apostles, to carry on his message to the people--jews and gentiles--after he left the earth...

But as far as advertising one's faith. I would have to agree that I dislike it when people come at you with their Capital T[ruth] and disregard everything that you've been raised to have faith in. It would be tough for me to make any suggestion as to any other faith and/or belief system that pushes their comprehension of human existence on other people like that of Christianity, because I'm not familiar with too many other religious systems (only a little Hindu, seeing as I had a course with an Indian prof). But, from what I know about various religions (which is rather limited), many religions are personal and are for one's household and one's household only... that's usually where the Capital T belongs, when you go out and socialize with others, that's usually where it becomes a Lowercase T, and you take into an account the beliefs of others (seeing as each person is different based on their own experiences)...

I guess anyone could be one of those people that always feels that they have to have their Capital T out and in front of everybody, depending on how strongly you feel that your Capital T applies to you... gee, I hope all of that made some sense.

EDIT: Has anyone else seen that commercial: "What would Jesus drive?"
Aaron_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 22:38   Link #5
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
It goes both ways, I have to listen to all my friends and professors go on and on about humanism/atheism....

I don't have a problem when people share thier views or ask me about mine, but I hate when people act ignorant/disrespectful. A good example would be one of my history professors proclaiming "F*ck God, that's bullsh*t" during his lecture.

Anyway, it's a free country (for now...) So just ignore it or respond in an intelligent manner.
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 22:45   Link #6
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
>>>NOTE<<<
PLEASE take heed to the sensitive nature of this thread and do not start any flame wars.
Okay, but I make no guarantees!

Quote:
Having said that, I would like to start a discussion about what it means to advertise one's religion. Unlike some tyrant American president I fully support the practice of free speach. I've been a student at Purdue for 4 years now, and over the time I've seen multiple 'religous enthusiasts' claim some part of territory on campus and then start proclaiming their 'truth' to everyone. There is a middle-aged gentleman who has spent the better part of yesterday and today on campus debating with people about the existance of god, etc. After thinking about it, I realized that every religous enthusiast that has spoken his mind here over the past 4 years was in fact, Christian.
Christianity has always spread due to many Christians' belief that by spreading the teachings of the bible, we will live better lives under the illusion that we may one day go to heaven. Heaven itself is an interesting topic. For instance, if I am afraid of heights, heaven is probably the last place I would want to go, but I digress...

Quote:
(1st set of questions)
Now I ask why are only Christians the ones who feel the need to do such an act? Is there some sort of rule or teaching that you must convert people over to your faith? Why don't I ever see any Buddist, or Muslim, or Jewish, or anyone other than Christians doing this?
I'm pretty sure that the Ottoman Turks, who were rather strict in their Muslim lifestyles, attempted to impose their religion on the Roman Orthodox peoples living in the area of Istanbul. They weren't as aggressive as the Christians were because they tolerated other religions to a certain degree, but they did impose their lifestyle and such on those that followed the Roman Orthodox faith.

Quote:
(2nd set of questions)
Personally, I dislike hearing people like that man from today speak about their religion because they usually go trampling over other people's beliefs.
My God can beat up your God!

Quote:
Today I heard him proclaim in a bold voice "God isn't the fairytale. Evolution is the fairytale!" What if someone is sound in their belief that god doesn't exist? Or multiple gods existing?
I actually wrote a rather satirical piece on that topic a few months ago.
Spoiler:

Then there was a story made to go along with it...

Spoiler:

Quote:
Obviously the man has a right to disagree and is entitled to his own opinion, but does anyone else agree that it is rude/arrogant to openly dismiss what other people believe?
A friend of mine and I got into an argument about this once (my friend being a rather fundamentalist Christian). My friend argued that, by law, he was allowed to express his opinion freely. I argued that if I was going to do that, then he would have to respect my request for him to not talk to me about it anymore. I'm not sure what the point of this anecdote was, but hey, at least it took up some space.

Quote:
I don't go around proclaiming: "There is no god! If you believe in god then you are wrong! These are the facts!"
Not all atheists are like you. For instance, Scientific American, an atheist work, is a pretty heavy pro-atheism propaganda machine that spews as much filth as the machines that are run by fundamentalist christians. Neither side is clean... both are sullied.

Quote:
(FYI: If you haven't figured it out I'm atheist)
*GASP*! You are?! HEATHEN!!! Agnosticism > j00! (though I must admit, zoroastrianism is also a good one!)
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 22:50   Link #7
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
Oh I can see it now... This thread is heading for trouble big time. You may be able to keep the peace for the 1st couple of pages but this thread is destined to be closed.

ANYHOO. Personally I really hate it when people try to preach to me. Im supposedly Chatholic *my dads Chatholic* , but I havent been to a church service since i was like 3. And i got kicked out of Sunday School 'cuz Id feel up on the lady teachers legs *My 1st full sentance when i was lil was "Oooo Nice legs"* But I guess you could say im inbetween Christianity and Athism. Back on topic.

People who try to preach to me annoy the hell out of me. So that means All Christians who try to preach to you. I dont know why they feal the need to tell everyone how great the big G . O. D. is. Kinda Like what Roots said you dont see monks riding around on bicycles and walking up to your has to ask"Have you found Buddha?" You just dont see other religions doing that.
SiL Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 23:03   Link #8
Don Eunuch
Lin Er

Quote:
>>>NOTE<<<
(1st set of questions)

(2nd set of questions)
Personally, I dislike hearing people like that man from today speak about their religion because they usually go trampling over other people's beliefs. Today I heard him proclaim in a bold voice "God isn't the fairytale. Evolution is the fairytale!" What if someone is sound in their belief that god doesn't exist? Or multiple gods existing? Obviously the man has a right to disagree and is entitled to his own opinion, but does anyone else agree that it is rude/arrogant to openly dismiss what other people believe? I don't go around proclaiming: "There is no god! If you believe in god then you are wrong!
1st question: Under Christianity and Islam, you do have to spread your religion. Nothing wrong with that. Didn't you ask those people why they do that?

2nd: Openly dismiss what others believe? It may be rude but not necessary arrogant. You must understand why they do it.
Don Eunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 23:03   Link #9
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Not all atheists are like you. For instance, Scientific American, an atheist work, is a pretty heavy pro-atheism propaganda machine that spews as much filth as the machines that are run by fundamentalist christians. Neither side is clean... both are sullied.
I agree that there are atheists that may be religous enthusiasts that do things similar to Christians, but I fail to see how Scientific American and those other magazines are pro-atheism propaganda. (by the way, SA is a great science magazine!). That site merely showed that most scientists don't believe in the existance of god. Naturally you would imagine that an article dealing about scientists and their work wouldn't have as much evidence for supporting god. They explain things in terms of mathematics and relational laws. Science isn't saying "Oh, so my lab discovered that this planet is in a hepicular orbit around the Heranus 7 star cluster because god said 'Let it be so!' "

See my point?

EDIT:

As for your post Don Eunuch, I think advertising your religion is ok, but it is often taken to extremes that just cause conflicts. For example, a Christian group could advertise an open-forum session for those non-Christians that are curious about the beliefs of the religion. In this case, the Christian people would be speaking to those who want to hear, not to those who do not want to hear. I think more Christian publicity should be done this way.

I don't see why you think it is ok to stomp on other religions because the bible told these people to advertise their religion. Sure ok, I understand the reason, but I think there are better ways to go about this than trying to get people to release their current beliefs so that they can believe Christiantiy.
Old 2004-04-06, 23:06   Link #10
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
I agree that there are atheists that may be religous enthusiasts that do things similar to Christians, but I fail to see how Scientific American and those other magazines are pro-atheism propaganda. (by the way, SA is a great science magazine!). That site merely showed that most scientists don't believe in the existance of god. Naturally you would imagine that an article dealing about scientists and their work wouldn't have as much evidence for supporting god. They explain things in terms of mathematics and relational laws. Science isn't saying "Oh, so my lab discovered that this planet is in a hepicular orbit around the Heranus 7 star cluster because god said 'Let it be so!' "

See my point?
I don't think you quite caught the meaning in the link I provided. It is trying to PROVE that people who believe in deities are less intelligent than people who are avowedly atheist. How can you not think that that's pro-atheism propaganda? Did you only read the first paragraph and skip the rest of the article?
Old 2004-04-06, 23:08   Link #11
Don Eunuch
Lin Er

Quote:
That site merely showed that most scientists don't believe in the existance of god. Naturally you would imagine that an article dealing about scientists and their work wouldn't have as much evidence for supporting god.
But don't you see why they did that? Have you heard of meme? There are plenty of athiest going around bashing religion esp Christianity.

Honesty, why bother living, after all you are an overgrown amoeba.
Old 2004-04-06, 23:11   Link #12
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
>>>NOTE<<<
PLEASE take heed to the sensitive nature of this thread and do not start any flame wars. If you have a disagreement with someone calmly address the fault in their argument(s) and state your reasons for believing the person to be mistaken.

excuse my ignorance, but where is Purdue located? Because where i live Christians are the center of prosecution. Where i live, it's mostly Jews, and many of them think it's funny to say something like "you know im Jesus" the teachers dont do anything but laugh, because many of them are the same way. They also think it's funny when u say "im christian."

Quote:
(1st set of questions)
because we believe that Jesus has told us to do that.
we see muslims blowing themselves up for the sake of Islam and allah... and u thought preaching at school was bad.
buddist ppl believe that being good is good enough. Christians dont.
i dont know about the jews, but from the old testament there isnt much "go preach the word" in there.

Quote:
(2nd set of questions)
Personally, I dislike hearing people like that man from today speak about their religion because they usually go trampling over other people's beliefs. Today I heard him proclaim in a bold voice "God isn't the fairytale. Evolution is the fairytale!" What if someone is sound in their belief that god doesn't exist? Or multiple gods existing? Obviously the man has a right to disagree and is entitled to his own opinion, but does anyone else agree that it is rude/arrogant to openly dismiss what other people believe? I don't go around proclaiming: "There is no god! If you believe in god then you are wrong! These are the facts!" If I said that I'd imagine that several Christian people would give me the beat-down (In fact on an episode of MTV's Jackass, a guy dressed in a devil costume did a similar public display, and some Christian guy passing by aggressively broke the guy's sign, pushed him aggressively, and punched him in the face).
Well... evolution is taught at schools right? In a bio test, if i decide to answer "evolution is false" as the answer i would be graded down. i even had one teacher say "it doesnt matter wat ur fantasies (religion) say, evolution is true"
Ben Stiller likes to poke fun at Christians too.

If you said "there is no GOd and it's the truth" Christians arent the only ones that will beat u up. Actually, it's less likely that there will be more Christians that would be hitting u. From wat i can see where i live, Jews are more sensitive about that. In the Middle East, it would be the radical Bin-Laden level muslims. Maybe if u were in the south, they would come at u with a shotgun.

As for the Jackass guy on MTV. The person who punched him couldve been a jew, muslim, catholic etc. it's funny, unless there was strong evidence that he was christian u shouldnt jump to conclusions and decide he is christian. jews and muslims like to believe God too. There are lots of ppl who believe God, maybe not the religion but just "God" itself. Watever their idea of God is. If you just automatically assumed that aggresive guy was Christian ure not being too fair... and almost hypocritical.
(if there was strong evidence of him being christian, then disregard that. and a cross on his chest is not enough)
Mr. Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 23:14   Link #13
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

The seperation of church and state is being abused. It has gone so out of hand that peoples' right to practice of religion is being denied. And I'm not even talking about the random preachings some do, It has come to a point where a kid can no longer pray silently at school before eating his lunch because it violates 'the seperation of search and state'. I'll try to dig up the actual article, and a few more.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 23:15   Link #14
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
I don't think you quite caught the meaning in the link I provided. It is trying to PROVE that people who believe in deities are less intelligent than people who are avowedly atheist. How can you not think that that's pro-atheism propaganda? Did you only read the first paragraph and skip the rest of the article?
I only read the first paragraph My bad you are correct, but I still think that it is not quite propaganda. These are (assumingly) stastically sound surveys that show a striking correlation between various measures of intelligence and religion/faith. But these findings are summed up in 2 sentences just concluding the findings. The summarizations could have been biased by the author(s) of this website, which indeed would make this atheism propaganda. You'd have to read the studies and compare them with the summarizations to see how much atheism bias was induced in this collection.

BTW: Thanks for that link BJ. I'm going to read through this thoroughly once I get a chance.
Old 2004-04-06, 23:17   Link #15
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
The seperation of church and state is being abused. It has gone so out of hand that peoples' right to practice of religion is being denied. And I'm not even talking about the random preachings some do, It has come to a point where a kid can no longer pray silently at school before eating his lunch because it violates 'the seperation of search and state'. I'll try to dig up the actual article, and a few more.
hmm i remember about 4~5 yrs ago my friend told me that his school wouldnt allow the Christian club to pray or read the bible during school time.... cuz it violates the seperation of church and state. They were just sitting in the class during the club and the adminstration walks in and tells them to do those things at home and church only.

EDIT: see Roots, ure only looking at it from ur point of view. have u considered the things that the Christians go thru too? it annoys us too when ppl tell us we cant pray before a meal at school. Even worse is when ppl make fun of u for it. A common sermon done by youth pastors is "dont be ashamed of ur faith" u know why it's a commonly preached sermon? because ppl like to laugh when we pray and ppl like to give us names like "Holy Roller" or "Da Pope" when they see us read the Bible.
Mr. Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 23:21   Link #16
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
That's pretty sad news indeed. The separation of church and state is really there to mostly stop institutions owned by the government from forcing religion on the public. It sounds like whoever denies people the right to pray is just a paranoid, insecure individual.

In other separation of church and state musing, when are people going to not be forced to swear by the bible when they go to testify in a court?

Quote:
I only read the first paragraph My bad you are correct
I forgive you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bushido
From wat i can see where i live, Jews are more sensitive about that
That's probably just in your area. Around the Boston area, they're pretty laid back. I know because I grew up in a jewish family around Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bushido
Well... evolution is taught at schools right? In a bio test, if i decide to answer "evolution is false" as the answer i would be graded down
It's your own choice to answer it incorrectly
Old 2004-04-06, 23:29   Link #17
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
That's pretty sad news indeed. The separation of church and state is really there to mostly stop institutions owned by the government from forcing religion on the public. It sounds like whoever denies people the right to pray is just a paranoid, insecure individual.

In other separation of church and state musing, when are people going to not be forced to swear by the bible when they go to testify in a court?
I agree with the jellyfish. Praying silently at lunch hurts absolutely no one and everyone should have that right.

I will refuse to swear on the bible if I ever have to testify in court. I also refuse to say the pledge of allegance :fingers: haha

*Oh and by the way Zoro, Purdue is in Indiana. Full of the 3C's, Christians, Cows, and Corn
Old 2004-04-06, 23:33   Link #18
Don Eunuch
Lin Er

Quote:
I don't see why you think it is ok to stomp on other religions because the bible told these people to advertise their religion. Sure ok, I understand the reason, but I think there are better ways to go about this than trying to get people to release their current beliefs so that they can believe Christiantiy.
I have no problems with other religions spreading their religion and telling me mine is false and theirs is right. As long as its done nicely and not recant or die by the sword.

I'm also glad I do not live in religion intolerant countries.
Old 2004-04-06, 23:37   Link #19
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Eunuch
I have no problems with other religions spreading their religion and telling me mine is false and theirs is right. As long as its done nicely and not recant or die by the sword.

I'm also glad I do not live in religion intolerant countries.
Curious: Where do you live?
Old 2004-04-06, 23:38   Link #20
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
My personal thoughts as a christian. I don't try to sell my religion to anyone. If someone were to ask then I might share my views BUT I never disregard or take my views as the only views. I do not attend church because most of the churches today are filled with hypocrisy(I mean no offense to anyone here) this is just what I see where I am. I guess what I am trying to say is I don't expect the world to see things the way I do.

No one view is wrong or right in all actuallity. I believe "thou shall not judge others lest ye be judged yourself". Therefore I let others believe exactly what they want and I don't smile smugly while thinking that either. I honestly believe we are all probably wrong on some points and right on others. I am not your typical christian though in case you hadn't noticed.

Roots- I totally agree it is rude and arrogant to dismiss and disregard other's views as we can never stop learning new things!

Last edited by LoveOfAnime; 2004-04-06 at 23:46. Reason: Forgot something
LoveOfAnime is offline   Reply With Quote