AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-11-05, 03:06   Link #181
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

I'm not sure how that will play out with Contact being a whole Victory Condition.

I'm more interested in what more factions are going in. The lack of Religious-themed factions despite the Pope appearing in the opening movie and the complete lack of faith system seems to be an obvious hint of an expansion. It really is Civ5 all over again!
Old 2014-11-05, 10:29   Link #182
VDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
I'm not sure how that will play out with Contact being a whole Victory Condition.

I'm more interested in what more factions are going in. The lack of Religious-themed factions despite the Pope appearing in the opening movie and the complete lack of faith system seems to be an obvious hint of an expansion. It really is Civ5 all over again!
The religious people in the intro movie are from the Slavic Federation. Check the logo on the rocket. (The other two factions featured are the Kavithan Protectorate (most of the movie) and the ARC (the control room).)
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-05, 12:04   Link #183
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

I am curious how BE would take a jab at religion given the much increased scientific knowledge of humans. If anything I think religion would be part of the affinity: instead of believing in a deity people are believers of their affinities. Old Earth religions might become a culture thing.

I swear, one of those Old Earth Relics I have built is just a shrine for a pair of blue jeans...

My take on warmongering:
There is once again this breaking point. You need military units, and in BE, due to how tech work, you *will* most likely have a few "empty cycles" now and then where you don't need to build anything (for example a mass digester is not needed in non-tundra soil). So you end up making some military units anyway.

So what do you do with your army? Sit there and do nothing? No, you go beat someone up, and more than often, this deathball of yours can just roll through the entirety of the map since the combat AI is just too terrible.

For me, that begins around turn 150 when I got my army of CNDRs.

Since cities no longer lose population from being captured, by going to war I will be able to take multiple high pop cities under my wing. I can Annex the good ones, and just leave the terrible ones as puppets and spam Academy/generators in those.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-05, 16:16   Link #184
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
I am curious how BE would take a jab at religion given the much increased scientific knowledge of humans. If anything I think religion would be part of the affinity: instead of believing in a deity people are believers of their affinities. Old Earth religions might become a culture thing.
Well, it's a common fallacy that religion and science have to be mutually exclusive. But, given how multinational the existing factions are, I do indeed think it would be hard to give any one faction a single representative religion. Indeed, they will probably implement it to expand the Culture system. Maybe add in a victory condition related to it.
Old 2015-01-19, 12:19   Link #185
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Announced today at Gamespot, Sid Meier's Starships will have players sending their own fleets of spacecraft out into the cosmos in an effort to create peace—or domination—via a planetary federation. There's also supposedly going to be some connection between Beyond Earth and Starships for those who own both games. Starships hits this spring for PC, Mac and iPad. Head to Gamespot for more details.
http://kotaku.com/sid-meiers-starshi...015-1680379581
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-19, 13:08   Link #186
Strigon 13
Electrosphere

^Is this thing for real?

Get your sh*t together Firaxis and start work in BE expansion instead of another Civ 4 mod Reskin.
Strigon 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-19, 15:00   Link #187
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

ok, rant time.

BE came out in what? September? I have stated this before, the game has good concepts, but poor execution. Time and time again I have told people "this game would be great once it is fully developed with expansions". Nope, they decided to just make another similar game in the same universe with connectivity instead of making a proper expansion.

There are so many things missing in BE. The whole alien concept becomes forgotten over time, the "fake flexibility" in tech tree choices, horrible balancing in unit strength, a broken AI and poorly done diplomacy system, etc... Making Starships is like a giant slap in the face to those who have purchased and have hope in Beyond Earth.

Granted, the connectivity between the two games maybe yield some interesting dynamic, but I dont want to see a reskinned BE game. I want to see improvements to the BE system into one which allow the series to break out of the molds that made it uninteresting.

Those who have played Broken Legends may find some innovation in there to keep things somewhat interesting.

As is, Firaxis is turning BE into some Assassin's Creed series game...

My guess is that BE flopped really hard on launch that triggered this game (it was on sale I think only 2 months after release, and has been on sale quite a few times afterwards including during christmas steam sale).

One thing which has always annoyed me with 4x games is the lack of a story campaign...
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-19, 19:11   Link #188
Strigon 13
Electrosphere

The main issue with BE was that it was Overhyped. People expected for at least a decade for a proper sequel to Alpha Centauri, however I think Firaxis missed the oportunity, and just took a bunch of pieces from Civ V, reskined them, changed barbarians with aliens and sold it as a new game. I accept that this game is not Alpha Centauri (and it actually has cool features that weren't in preceeding Civ games), but I was expecting more than just a "Civ V reskin" coming from them.

Firaxis is distancing themselves from the 4X formula that made Civilization popular, and trying to compete in the Space 4X field; a place that has VERY strong contenders like Star Ruler, GalCiv, Sins of a Solar Empire (this one is a mix 4X/RTS).

As a foot note, I can't say that Firaxis made a bad game with BE, but it could have been better.
Strigon 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-19, 20:33   Link #189
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I'm incredibly leery of this new game because of the iPad version. INCREDIBLY leery. I just can't see the game being all that deep or interesting.

I'm sure there are expansions coming for Civ:BE though. This has come out far to close to BE to not have been developed almost side by side. I think someone (Sid) had a bit of a brainwave while making BE, and thought of a spin off/companion game to go with it.
Old 2015-01-19, 23:25   Link #190
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

I'm quite certain that 2K has different teams working on both Starships and the Civilization franchise, much like how the team that worked on XCOM: Enemy Unknown is different from the team that worked on The Bureau. So just because they had been working on Starships doesn't mean that development on a Civilization:BE expansion has suddenly stopped. Hell, the fact that we're getting Starships in only a few months from now within the year means that they've been working on Starships alongside Beyond Earth for while now.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-18, 07:11   Link #191
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/18/861...-due-this-fall

Expansion "Rising Tide" announced, releasing Autumn.

Quote:
Rising Tide will expand Beyond Earth's oceanic options allowing players to build floating settlements while accessing submerged natural resources. New aquatic creatures will also be introduced.

A new diplomacy system will offer upgrade traits which can activate new ways of interacting with AI rivals. Four extra factions are being introduced including one descended from wealthy Middle Eastern states.

Two biomes are also being introduced as well as new upgrades and units based on hybrid affinities.
Welp, guess I should get around to buying this game.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-18, 15:47   Link #192
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/18/861...-due-this-fall

Expansion "Rising Tide" announced, releasing Autumn.

Welp, guess I should get around to buying this game.
So we're actually getting an expansion? Great news! Civ tradition says that it really isn't worth it until the first one and I had given up hope that BE would get it.
Old 2015-05-18, 18:51   Link #193
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Well that's good to hear. Hopefully the expansion have better endings.

Also avoid Sid Meier's Starships since the PC port is bad.