Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-04-17, 08:51   Link #41
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Planet jumping Civ would be interesting. Were you could link up with other players planets for trade or some such things.
What is it that you are referring to? Haven't read much about the game still.

Personally I never have the patience for multiplayer 4x, and I do not want some weirdass "online" portion like the new simcity... if that game is worth of being part of the series...
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-17, 16:18   Link #42
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

With everyone bashing on Civ's AI, when was the last 4X game that had a decent AI? I've been getting back onto Paradox's grand strategy game like Crusader King 2 and Europa Universalis, the AI there is just as dumb.

As for multiplayer, i doubt we'll see any huge departure from the Civ's session based game. Firaxis have been pretty conservative in terms of their design and 2K has been pretty hand's off in terms of game design.
Old 2014-04-18, 12:49   Link #43
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
With everyone bashing on Civ's AI, when was the last 4X game that had a decent AI? I've been getting back onto Paradox's grand strategy game like Crusader King 2 and Europa Universalis, the AI there is just as dumb.

As for multiplayer, i doubt we'll see any huge departure from the Civ's session based game. Firaxis have been pretty conservative in terms of their design and 2K has been pretty hand's off in terms of game design.
The thing is: you could build a game with an amazing AI that provided the kind of challenge an average human player would... and then 99% of the computers your potential buyers have wouldn't be able to run the game due to the complexity of the algorithms. It would kind of defeat the purpose

Anyway what I was mostly expecting from the latest generation of consoles is that the focus would be on AI and other "unseen" factors in games but sadly that's nothing short of a pipe dream. Graphics is what sells games, not good AI
Old 2014-04-19, 09:05   Link #44
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Please correct me if I'm wrong but from I seem and read, there no nation we can choose from. Is that correct?

That a huge turn off for me if I can't play as Germany invading others left and right.
Old 2014-04-19, 21:11   Link #45
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilHighDxD View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong but from I seem and read, there no nation we can choose from. Is that correct?

That a huge turn off for me if I can't play as Germany invading others left and right.
You would be after Purity. The faction that is set in the old ways and refuse to follow cybernetics or genetic modification. They are the guys with the big fortifications with big guns on top and floats.
Old 2014-04-19, 22:28   Link #46
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I assume you can imagine you group is from whatever nationality you want?
Old 2014-04-19, 23:16   Link #47
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Weird, I swear I heard something about nationality. Did they mention there won't be any national faction?
Old 2014-04-19, 23:24   Link #48
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Yes, from what I recall, your faction can be customized.

As for the lack of nations, Alpha's Centauri had been mighty fine without needing to represent USA, China, UK, France, Russia, Japan, etc... The personalities, quirks and quotes from the leaders more than made up for it. <3 Zakharov, Lady Deirdre and Santiago.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 00:56   Link #49
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Weird, I swear I heard something about nationality. Did they mention there won't be any national faction?
Other factions will have names and play-styles. But they won't be nation specific. I believe one example they showed at a presentation was some kind of Asian Corporate Conglomerate.
Old 2014-04-20, 04:25   Link #50
cupumanager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Yes, from what I recall, your faction can be customized.

As for the lack of nations, Alpha's Centauri had been mighty fine without needing to represent USA, China, UK, France, Russia, Japan, etc... The personalities, quirks and quotes from the leaders more than made up for it. <3 Zakharov, Lady Deirdre and Santiago.
That is the point: If our factions are customizable entities, will the factions have personalities as memorable as in SMAC? That and the Quotes alone made up some of the best things about it.
cupumanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 04:36   Link #51
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupumanager View Post
That is the point: If our factions are customizable entities, will the factions have personalities as memorable as in SMAC? That and the Quotes alone made up some of the best things about it.
There will have to be leaders to interact with, that's for sure. The main thing is that even though the personalities are fixed per leader, their original ship cargo can change in each new game and force them to behave differently.
Old 2014-05-20, 08:37   Link #52
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
The Changing Face of War

Will Miller, one of the co-designers, is quoted thusly in a recent Gamespot article:

Quote:
We wanted the state of war to be fuzzier in Beyond Earth. Very rarely, if ever, in the modern age does Congress declare war and go through all the formalities involved. It's just not the way the world works.

I feel like we needed that binary state in past Civilization games--either you're at war or not at war--but adding these secondary vectors for offense and defense in Beyond Earth was a goal of ours from the beginning. There's the covert ops system, which can produce some serious damage to another player you're not at war with, as well as stations and the orbital layer.
While the mechanics of covert ops are not ready at this time to be discussed, and the orbital layer has been covered previously, the article does deliver some knowledge on how the city-state mechanic from Civ V is being updated...
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-21, 07:05   Link #53
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Quote:
There's the covert ops system, which can produce some serious damage to another player you're not at war with, as well as stations and the orbital layer.
So, in other words. If other AI players think you are "weak" (this often happens on higher difficulties), instead of the mass war-declaration, you get a ton of covert ops thrown at you...

Still waiting on news about better AI, difficulty settings, and how they solve the problem with "flow of the game".
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-01, 14:41   Link #54
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I wish Master Control actually does become a central element in the game proper, Civ needs more persistent female voices.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-01, 18:37   Link #55
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

That SABR unit was really durable though.
Old 2014-09-01, 19:01   Link #56
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
This is looking to be a pretty fun game. Though like with most Civ games will probably end up playing the most with friends . Can see some nights getting devoured by this game.
Old 2014-09-03, 01:48   Link #57
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

For Australians whom haven't got it yet and dont want to pay the ridiculously inflated $90 price, check out OzGameShop, they're selling it at the original $49.
Old 2014-09-13, 20:29   Link #58
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

So I was watching someone play up to 100 turns with this game. It's absolutely gorgeous, the tech tree is different, there's an affinity you can choose (Harmony, Purity, Supremacy), and other interesting things.
Old 2014-09-14, 00:40   Link #59
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Oh? have a link handy for that play through?
Old 2014-09-14, 02:39   Link #60
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author