AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2021-11-11, 11:27   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece Live Action series [Netflix] (Season 2 confirmed)

Well, no point in delaying this any further, I suppose.... especially now that the main cast has been confirmed. So yeah, the title's pretty self-explanatory: OP is getting a live action adaption! Gonna reserve my judgment for now since the project is still in its early stages. At least we know Oda gave the show his blessing, so... I guess there's that? That being said, discuss away!

Images
main cast
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Images
Oda's message

Edit: An addendum, courtesy of OH&S:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
As it hasn't been brought up, I would like to bring to attention the legendary Reverie stream from September 21, 2020 in which the top YouTube One Piece reviewers/reactors gathered together for a big One Piece discussion but then got a surprise visit by the writer of the One Piece live action series: Matt Owens.

In my opinion, this discussion/interview is essentially recommended viewing in order to get a more clearer grasp on what's going on behind the scenes of the live action series. Its very revealing of some of the considerations being made as well as the thought processes governing the writing.

Matt Owens comes on at 54:35 and leaves at 1:52:15 (but I think 1:53:37 is a good stopping point for the lolz).

YouTube

Last edited by marvelB; 2021-11-16 at 12:43.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-12, 04:52   Link #2
grecefar

It could've been worse to be honest, this cast makes me willing to give it a chance.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-14, 20:30   Link #3
Theia_Loki

I just pray that nothing akin to stuff like Faye's "actress" from the Netflix Cowboy Bebop series and her antics (plus hypocrisy) doesn't come up.
It's going to be... interesting to see how they manage to pull off Luffy's Gomu Gomu no Mi abilities, or Zoro's Santoryu Swordsmanship skills.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-14, 20:35   Link #4
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
It could've been worse to be honest, this cast makes me willing to give it a chance.
Yea, the cast seems appropriate. I'll give it a shot too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theia_Loki View Post
It's going to be... interesting to see how they manage to pull off Luffy's Gomu Gomu no Mi abilities, or Zoro's Santoryu Swordsmanship skills.
I always thought Luffy made a live action show impossible since it would be too silly, but I could see how they could make his ability look slick if shot and edited right with some solid sound effects. I think this is a good case of "less is more". Probably goes for most DF abilities in the series. The logias will likely be cool tho
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-14, 20:54   Link #5
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

When Holywood and Netflix will learn that there is anime that cannot be adapted into live action?
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-15, 06:08   Link #6
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

As it hasn't been brought up, I would like to bring to attention the legendary Reverie stream from September 21, 2020 in which the top YouTube One Piece reviewers/reactors gathered together for a big One Piece discussion but then got a surprise visit by the writer of the One Piece live action series: Matt Owens.

In my opinion, this discussion/interview is essentially recommended viewing in order to get a more clearer grasp on what's going on behind the scenes of the live action series. Its very revealing of some of the considerations being made as well as the thought processes governing the writing.

Matt Owens comes on at 54:35 and leaves at 1:52:15 (but I think 1:53:37 is a good stopping point for the lolz).

YouTube

If marvelB could append this info to the first post, that would be swell.
Old 2021-11-15, 11:37   Link #7
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diluc View Post
When Holywood and Netflix will learn that there is anime that cannot be adapted into live action?
Anything can be made into a good live action, it's just that anime usually isn't done well or with a big budget. Apparently, this OP show has a huge budget. They know the popularity of the franchise, so so far it seems like they're not messing around
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-15, 16:37   Link #8
grecefar

And it seems oda is involved and is ok with this so...
Old 2021-11-15, 16:58   Link #9
necrolyte

I am happy to see that you guys are optimistic about this but judging from my past experience I wouldn't raise my expectations just yet. Still, I would love to see a good OP adaptation with nice budget (crossing fingers)
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-15, 18:40   Link #10
Tuor

I'm sure it will be at least as good as Dragonball: Evolution!
Tuor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-16, 12:44   Link #11
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
If marvelB could append this info to the first post, that would be swell.
Done! Thanks for posting this!
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-16, 14:26   Link #12
Hoodspirit

I'm pretty possitive about the live action. The actors have the potential to play the characters in a satisfying way and I don't need a 1 to 1 adaption if the main beats/emotions are there.
Only thing I'm a bit worried about is chemnistry between the actors. The age gap between Luffy's actor and Nami's actress is a whole decade after all. Might be hard for a natural closeness. And even with script changes a lot of East Blue rests on the development of understanding between Luffy and Nami. There were often times they were alone in which Nami learned what Luffy's version of a pirate and treasure is (Treasure-Straw Hat talk in the house, Shushu's burning shop+its revenge, Straw hat damage in the Buggy fight, refusal to give Gaimon the treasure chests, after the Kuro fight). All needed to build up the "help me" moment, which is the climax of the East Blue Saga.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-30, 18:53   Link #13
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
Anything can be made into a good live action, it's just that anime usually isn't done well or with a big budget. Apparently, this OP show has a huge budget. They know the popularity of the franchise, so so far it seems like they're not messing around
Such wise words that I can take to heart.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-30, 19:24   Link #14
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

I wonder how Oda would make a live-action of Zoro vs Sanji.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-05, 18:07   Link #15
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I can't think of any conceivable way this could turn out to be good. One Piece is probably the one manga that just can't work in live action. The story is going to be butchered because they obviously can't afford to give it hundreds of episodes. Speaking of which, even with the highest budget a TV series had ever gotten, this would still be unable to do the manga justice. The characters are constantly traveling and going to very different places, and you'd also need a lot of budget for the special effects.

I don't know why they're bothering.
Old 2022-11-22, 13:36   Link #16
Hoodspirit

Looks like Oda is having regular online meetings and checks if scenes carry the creator's intent according to a podcast with Ted Biasell (Director of Original Series Netflix) and corrects the Netflix team if they got it wrong.

One Piece was just a very brief side-topic for liek 3 minutes, so that was pretty much the only mention of it.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-22, 14:09   Link #17
grecefar

It's good that the creator is involved and the director ask for his advice, means that they really want to do a good job.
Old 2023-01-16, 20:38   Link #18
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Matt Owens with Nux Taku talking about terrible live-action and anime adaptations:
YouTube

Matt Owens' comments regarding the Live Action in the most recent Reverie:
YouTube
Old 2023-01-31, 12:30   Link #19
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Live-Action One Piece Series' Visual Reveals 2023 Debut
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-05-06, 00:07   Link #20
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Eiichiro Oda Shares Update on Live-Action One Piece Series, Confirms 8-Episode Count
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote