Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-12, 02:43   Link #1
ps3mania
piyo, pipipiyo, piyo.

Looking for something deep

well, this is my first thread so im not sure if im doing this right, but the kind of anime im looking for is basicly any with a good ending, a bit deep/phlosophical, and is preferrabily sci-fi/mecha, not licenced and can be found at Animesuki.

any suggestions would be appriciated !

i wasnt able to watch new anime for 2-3 years except for like 2 or 3 anime series, so ive missed a lot of anime
Old 2006-10-12, 03:12   Link #2
jedinat

I can't say for certain about the endings, because I haven't seen the end yet (still being fansubbed/airing) but you should check out Zegapain and The Third.

Last edited by jedinat; 2006-10-12 at 12:14.
Old 2006-10-12, 03:25   Link #3
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I'd recommend Honey and Clover as well as its subsequent season. It has among the best endings I've seen in any anime; it's a bit deep and philosophical; sadly, however, it isn't sci-fi or mecha. But since that you didn't explicitly state that you'd watch ONLY mecha or sci-fi, I heartily recommend it.

For less tangential recommendations, however, I'd recommend The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya despite the fact that I don't like it as much as others. It contains a cocktail of a romance, a sci-fi, and is quite deep and philosophical; it also has a good ending.

For the depth that seems pretentious and casuist, I'd recommend Ergo Proxy, although I personally wasn't contented with the ending and personally don't deem it as good per se.
Old 2006-10-12, 10:32   Link #4
ImClueless
Rawr

Unfortunately (or fortunately) Ergo Proxy is licenced same as GITS
Old 2006-10-12, 10:40   Link #5
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

*knocks himself in the head*

Wow, I didn't read that. OMG, I'm terribly sorry. Just erase those two later suggestions, and just watch Honey and Clover.
Old 2006-10-12, 13:26   Link #6
mit7059

Death Note might have the possibility of becoming really deep, its only 1 ep in so I'm not that sure. You might also want to check out Welcome to the NHK. I'll second Honey & Clover, but its not sci-fi but still really good. It licensed, but it sounds like Serial Experiments Lain is exactly what you're looking for, so if you can get your hands on that I think you would enjoy it.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-10-12, 13:42   Link #7
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Deep and not licenced - Monster. It's not sci-fi though but it's one of the most philosophical and engaging series I have watched. If you want deep but sci-fi - go for Planetes. It's licenced and the ending was not exactly satisfying to me, though. Deep, sci-fi and not licenced - Simoun. you might be put off by the yuri fanservice in it, though, so I guess I can't think of anything that fits all the requirements, sorry.

Old 2006-10-12, 14:37   Link #8
MamoruUsagi

The manga of Ayashi no Ceres is very deep, but don't watch the anime. The anime cuts out a lot from the manga. The manga has lots of sex scenes and dark plotlines and is very deep. The anime cuts out a lot from the plot, resulting in a less deep plot.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is sort of deep.

The manga Mars is very deep, the couple become boyfriend and girlfriend early on and date during the series. Sex, dating, rape, suicide, engagement and more serious issues are covered.

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou, Kare Kano, the manga covers a lot of deeper, darker issues. The couple gets together early on and is boyfriend and girlfriend during the series.

I know I might sound off topic, but if you're looking for an epic manga series, the manga of Fushigi Yugi, 18 volumes is really great. The couple are boyfriend and girlfriend during the series and get married. The manga covers a lot of interesting, romantic and emotional elements of the story and it's romantic and has fantasy. Just make sure you read the 18 volumes of the manga. The manga, not the anime. The manga is much longer, mature, romantic, emotional.
Old 2006-10-12, 17:23   Link #9
ps3mania
piyo, pipipiyo, piyo.

thanks everyone for the great suggestions, and as i stated in the beggening, i would PREFFER the anime to be Sci-fi or mecha, by which I mean the anime being mecha or scifi is only a secondary requirement, so if the doesnt have to be mecha or scifi to be suggestable.
Old 2006-10-12, 17:52   Link #10
ImClueless
Rawr

Unfortunately a lot of the good Sci-Fi/Mecha series are licenced since they are popular genres.

However, you could try Legend of the Galactic Heros. It is an old epic space opera and unlicenced, but still very good. Also Macross is another classic thats not licenced.
Old 2006-10-12, 18:18   Link #11
ps3mania
piyo, pipipiyo, piyo.

and also, being licenced is only [B]prefered[B]
Old 2006-10-15, 02:32   Link #12
fizzer123

Quote:
Death Note might have the possibility of becoming really deep
Having read Viz's release of the manga, it certainly does. This is going to be a top series.

Planetes and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya are also good suggestions for sci-fi (though, Haruhi is a good mix of a handful of genres), but for a more grounded murder mystery, try Monster.

If your willing to take a step outside of heavy plot-laden series, try Honey and Clover. It delves deep into life and the relations between friends.
Old 2006-10-15, 02:51   Link #13
Poseidal
Knight of Cheome

Sounds like you're describing Space Runaway Ideon, except that it doesn't have a good ending; it is Sci-Fi, very deep and philosophical.

The ending is rather abrupt and sudden, but this will be fixed when they sub the last movie, which has a 'good' real ending though maybe not a 'happy' ending. It's also not exactly new, but it's recently subbed.

Also, watch Honey and Clover. I can say without a doubt that it's the best series that's been made in these three years at least.
Old 2006-10-15, 14:04   Link #14
ps3mania
piyo, pipipiyo, piyo.

well just to let people know, I can watch shows in RAW, so even if the show hasnt been subbed yet, please still reccomend it to me.
Old 2006-10-15, 15:26   Link #15
Levski
Banned

Elfen Lied is very deep.
Old 2006-10-15, 16:51   Link #16
Mystical Lint
All Knowing Idiot

I can't praise Zegapain enough for being deep and all other kinds of good.

RahXephon is also a mecha sci-fi + very deep. And very licensed.
It's along the lines of Evangelion in all generality but it certainly cuts it's own path in many many ways... not worth putting it in the same boat as Eva when it comes down to it...
Best of all the main character isn't a pushover!
Old 2006-10-15, 17:05   Link #17
Pastel
For the Future

Planetes is really something I would recommend. It's deep, but it's real. Never once do you lose track of the reality of the story. You'll question your own philosophy and views on life. Who deserves to live; who decides who gets to live? Where do you draw the line between caring for others and looking out for yourself?

Watch it. It's got your sci-fi in there as well; so real that it could possibly happen in seventy-five years. There are no divinely chosen mecha pilots. These guys are normal people picking up trash in space. It doesn't sould too flashy, but you'll understand how fast you get sucked in when you watch it.

Someone mentioned Death Note had the possiblity to go deep -- it will. So deep it'll piss you off when you try to keep up. You've heard of people planning a step ahead, but the characters in Death Note take that and push the notch up tenfold. The main characters are the protagonists and antagonists at the same time and you won't know who to support.