Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-26, 16:24   Link #1
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Chapter 440 Discussion (spoilers)

As per the forums rules, please don't ask or mention where to download the (licensed) manga. Also remember not to post or link to any translations of the manga, since this is illegal as well. Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome) but please do not discuss scans, raws, translation groups, etc.

Spoiler: The only information leaked out is related to Blackbeard and his fight. The spoiler picture shows a highly-exited Blackbeard. He mentions that he is a logia type (but a different one, most probably, not like a typical elemental such as fire or ice) devil fruit user, and his power is darkness.

Summary: The chapter starts with a few visits to our characters' backgrounds.

First, we start with the Baratie Restaurant. Zeff talks about the Strawhats' achievement regarding Enies Lobby destruction, and claims that, as a result of that, neither the marines nor the pirates will sit without doing anything. Zeff, Patty, and Carny all enjoy the bounty and the poster that includes hand-drawn picture of Sanji (he he, with that picture, and the distribution of that picture at baratie, I can hardly wait Sanji's reaction).

Next, we go to Luffy's hometown. Everyone except the chief enjoys Luffy's new bounty. Chief seems to be angry at Garp for not doing anything to stop that. However, we learn two interesting things. First, chief tells that the family has problems for three generation, not two (including dragon and luffy). So, who can belong to the third generation, maybe Roger? Secondly, chief mentions a name, Dadan - so who is that person (maybe we already know it, and I missed that).

Then, we go to Usopp's hometown. Only a few recognize Usopp from Sogeking's picture, mainly because of his long nose. Kaya exites more and more after seeing that picture to become a very good doctor so that she can give Usopp the best treatment if he comes back wounded (though it is questionable, the kind of treatment Usopp would prefer).

It is now time for Zoro's hometown. Students of Zoro's master come to him asking question about Zoro and him being his master. Zoro's master acknowledges that fact but tells them not to become like Zoro. Zoro's master still have questions about Enies Lobby incident. But, considering Zoro's personality and swordmanship, he assumes he would be ok.

Nami's hometown is the next place that we visit. Nami's sister and Genzo talks about her, the poster, her friends, the promise, etc., just a few reminders.

The last place we visit regarding Strawhats is Chopper's hometown, formerly known as Drum Kingdom, now known as Sakura Kingdom. Our "happy" doctorine displays her age by riding on a lapan to visit the villagers. Before she talks about her secret about her youth, she was shown the bounty posters of Strawhats. Doctorine, ignoring the bounty amount, seems to have gottten happy just to see Chopper's face on a bounty poster.

We now go back to Luffy's family's business. First, the father. Dragon seems to have succeeded in his war against WG in a south blue country. Then, he sees Luffy's bounty poster, and seems to approve of Luffy's acts by asking him to live the way he wants. And, he mentions that the day the two of them meet will come.

Now comes the most important visit in this chapter, the fight between Ace and Blackbeard. First the greetings. Then the talk about future as Blackbeard informs Ace that he has a plan, which will make him conquer the world in a short amount of time. Since, according to him Whitebeard's era is over, he will be the one who will become the Pirate King, and asks Ace to join him. Then, he mentions about the first step in his plan, which is selling the Strawhat Luffy to the WG. Ace surprises, and tells BB that since Luffy is his brother, he will surely try to stop him now. Ace also rejects BB's invitation.

After that, BB's crewmembers got exited, the shooter one and the strong but idiot one attack Ace. Ace easily stops them and fights back. His attack reaches BB and burns him a little (or maybe more). After that BB asks his crew members to stay back as he will deal with Ace. But, before starting his counter attack BB explains Ace why he killed his nakama. BB mentions that the real reason he stayed in Whitebeard's crew so long is to find a specific devil fruit. For that, he memorized the pictures of all the devil fruits he knows, and luckily, just before he gave up, the person whom he killed found that devil fruit. Since Whitebeard's rules prevented him to take that devil fruit, he killed that person. BB then mentions what that devil fruit was, it was the one that brings darkness.

The chapter ends with BB's initial display of his ability.

Last edited by Sazelyt; 2006-12-27 at 21:37.
Old 2006-12-26, 17:06   Link #2
brandfireX
Jedi Trainer of ONE PIECE

this is not really related to the topic but

that DF power does not explain how blackbeard gave shanks those scars next to his eye
Old 2006-12-26, 17:42   Link #3
airsBlue

Send a message via MSN to airsBlue
Quote:
that DF power does not explain how blackbeard gave shanks those scars next to his eye
well if his power is truely darkness then yeah it explain how he gave shanks his scar .. and shanks really strong to be able to stay alive...
Old 2006-12-26, 18:30   Link #4
willynilly

well if BB's DF is that of darkness, then i dont see anyway luffy would be able to beat him.
Old 2006-12-26, 18:36   Link #5
yuchan

Sounds good. While Blackbeard may be super strong, he just looks too goofy for me to take him seriously. I wish Oda woulda drawn him more evenly proportional like the rest of the main villans. Or at least not like a fat drunk.
Old 2006-12-26, 19:51   Link #6
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuchan View Post
Sounds good. While Blackbeard may be super strong, he just looks too goofy for me to take him seriously. I wish Oda woulda drawn him more evenly proportional like the rest of the main villans. Or at least not like a fat drunk.
If you compare him to Crocodile, he is more like a commoner kind of pirate, like going from Mihawk to Shanks. If you had seen Shanks only the way he was in the bar drinking, laughing, acting stupid, you wouldn't also take him seriously. But, he showed his strength and his character that would make you take him seriously. Blackbeard will also show that, especially if he easily beats Ace. Also, he might have the strangest pirate crew around (an idiot fighter, an intelligent shooter, drunk doctor and his horse, runaway circus performer), making him also one of a kind.
Old 2006-12-26, 21:59   Link #7
brandfireX

BB is a D. what do you what him to be like luffy looks dumb and skinny and he has a weird crew:
a long nosed lier
a sleepy swordsman
a raindeer for a doctor
and a crazy eye-browed cook
Old 2006-12-26, 22:17   Link #8
Master Mold
Banned

Well well looks like we get to see what Blackbeard is capable of.......and I hope to see other Big Timers in this chapter.
Old 2006-12-26, 22:34   Link #9
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
bwhahahahaahahahahahahahaha
Old 2006-12-27, 10:27   Link #10
Climhazard
Funk Freed

Very interesting.

It's seems that the crews family/home towns have seen the strawhat crews bounty posters also now, making them very happy indeed

I can't wait for a translation of this chapter.
Old 2006-12-27, 12:20   Link #11
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well that'll be an interesting matchup. Ace is a fire type. Fire gives light. BB is a darkness type which sucks up the light. That'd be like smoke vs fire. They're opposing types. Not directly obviously, but enough to be offsetting equals.
Old 2006-12-27, 12:32   Link #12
Climhazard
Funk Freed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Well that'll be an interesting matchup. Ace is a fire type. Fire gives light. BB is a darkness type which sucks up the light. That'd be like smoke vs fire. They're opposing types. Not directly obviously, but enough to be offsetting equals.
Indeed!
I can't wait to see how Oda will handle this one.
Old 2006-12-27, 15:01   Link #13
Slayerx

I'm actually, a little bit dissappointed by blackbeard... just a little...

I mean, first off, he's a logia type... logia's are hyped as being the most powerful and most difficult to defeat... however, dispite that fact, some of the most powerful characters don't even have devil fruit (whitebeard, mihawk, shanks, garp...), much less logia; "natural" humans who may very well be stronger than any DF... but it seems like there is foreshadowing that blackbeard may dethrone whitebeard, thus making the most powerful character a logia, instead of "normal" human

Second, his power is "darkness"... personally, aside from not really seeing darkness as an element, i can't help but feel that to be rather cliche'... nothing says "evil villian" like the power of darkness... grant it, maybe it just feels more cliche' than normal since, unlike other stories that deal with the "darkness", one piece was never really about good/light vs evil/dark

While i can honestly say i didn't expect darkness logia, i just feel something better could have been done... i was really hoping to see a logia get beaten by someone who didn't even have a devil fruit, or atleast not a logia type... that's kinda what made Luffy vs Croc more interesting...

though still... it may be interesting to see how darkness power works out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by airsBlue View Post
well if his power is truely darkness then yeah it explain how he gave shanks his scar .. and shanks really strong to be able to stay alive...
Actually no it doesn't... Brandfire is not refering to how he scarred shanks but the fact that the scar is actually a triple cut... If blackbeard doesn't use any weapon then we have to ask how darkness can cut someone, and why a triple cut instead of single... and if he does use something like a sword, then why is it a triple cut instead of just one cut

Quote:
It's seems that the crews family/home towns have seen the strawhat crews bounty posters also now, making them very happy indeed
Not only that, but summaries are talking about a breif appearance by Dragon... with Luffy delaring war and all it seems as though dragon is getting interested in formally meeting with his son
Old 2006-12-27, 15:32   Link #14
Climhazard
Funk Freed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Not only that, but summaries are talking about a breif appearance by Dragon... with Luffy delaring war and all it seems as though dragon is getting interested in formally meeting with his son
Lets hope that the summaries are true then
Old 2006-12-27, 16:01   Link #15
brandfireX

yeah that would be kool

thank you Slayer for clarifing my point the cuts do bother me maybe he controls teh shadows of teh ppl he is fighting or he can make teh darkness into weapons
Old 2006-12-27, 18:26   Link #16
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climhazard View Post
Indeed!
I can't wait to see how Oda will handle this one.

I actually doubt the fight will be interesting, from the way Shanks desperately want Whitebeard to keep Ace away from Blackbeard and saying how Ace isn't ready. It seems that Shanks is implying that Ace will suffer a pretty bad defeat.

Here's what's interesting, if Ace/BB fight is going to be a tough fight with BB come out on top, there's no point for Shanks to have to go all the way out to meat WB and ask him to keep Ace way from BB and leave BB along for now. Shank's action toward the event only make sense if he predict that the fight will end in an instant with Ace suffer a crushing defeat or it will end with Ace being dead.

Now obviously, the actual fight might not go as Shanks planned and we know Oda don't kill his on characters, but then the whole Shanks/Whitebeard meet will become a joke that serves no point in the main story and is just taking up precious chapter space.

Now darkness logia, like Slayex, I don't really like the idea in concept. Granted I sort expect darkness to be a type or logia after Ace was introduced, but I just can't see how darkness can be a kickass DF power in OP world except the power might act like a blackhole that sucks away all the lights. So it definitely gets my curiosity up on how Oda explains this.

Speaking of Oda, I love him more with this chapter, after I read the chapter last week and enjoy seeing Vivi, Smoker and Tashigi, I mention that I wonder how rest of OP characters are doing, and fair enough based on the spoiler I read, the first half of the chapter shows everyone else's reacition toward bounty [those with direct ties with crew]. I can't wait to see how that girl from Ussop's village is going to look like after Tashigi's transformation as well as how Zeff and his cook reacts to Sanji's portrait....

Last edited by Undertaker; 2006-12-27 at 18:40.
Old 2006-12-27, 18:40   Link #17
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandfireX View Post
yeah that would be kool

thank you Slayer for clarifing my point the cuts do bother me maybe he controls teh shadows of teh ppl he is fighting or he can make teh darkness into weapons
Actually, it just hit me...
In the summary's so far, Blackbeard says he joined whitebeard in order to find the darkness devil fruit and that the reason he killed Sachi, whitebeard's 4th division leader, is because he was the one who took the darkness devil fruit... but what this means is that blackbeard only got his power recently, and that he didn't have it before joining whitebeard and thus didn't even have it when he fought Shanks

not 100% sure on the translation... but everything else its said has been somewhat right...

Quote:
Lets hope that the summaries are true then
another spoiler pic is out... guess who it is ^^
Old 2006-12-27, 19:05   Link #18
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
I'm actually, a little bit dissappointed by blackbeard... just a little...

I mean, first off, he's a logia type... logia's are hyped as being the most powerful and most difficult to defeat... however, dispite that fact, some of the most powerful characters don't even have devil fruit (whitebeard, mihawk, shanks, garp...), much less logia; "natural" humans who may very well be stronger than any DF... but it seems like there is foreshadowing that blackbeard may dethrone whitebeard, thus making the most powerful character a logia, instead of "normal" human
First, we don't know if any of those characters obtained any devil fruit power, unless it is specifically stated. Not being told does not necessarily mean they do not have.

Secondly, the injury Shanks received from Blackbeard seemes to have happened before he obtained the devil fruit power. And, since it seems that Blackbeard was hiding that power from others, it is highly doubtful that Shanks gave his warning based on the devil fruit ability. Hence, most probably, Blackbeard might overpower Ace even without using the devil fruit power. If that is the case, his overconfidence can be understandable.
Old 2006-12-27, 22:39   Link #19
Hairydolphin

Send a message via AIM to Hairydolphin
I'm wondering, would Shanks know about Ace's logia power? I mean since Shanks and Whitebeard had not seen each other for so many years, is it really possible that Shanks could have met Ace, who I'm assuming is a fairly recent entry into whitebeard crew.
Old 2006-12-27, 22:48   Link #20
brandfireX

i dont know if you can tell me but where do you find these spoliers
cause this conversation just got alittle bit more confussing

but since shanks doesnt know about BB DF powers he might not know about ace and then the fight could go a different way entierly
Closed Thread