AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-01-29, 09:47   Link #1
JayB
Project J-KO

What 5 things would you put in Room 101?

My boyfriend recently had this come up on the forum that reads, and I thought it would be interesting to see other peoples thoughts. Please nothing anime related like annoying opening themes!

For those who dont know, Room 101 is where you meet all your worst nightmares.

Mine are:

1. All Cyclists, as a motorist and pedestrian they annoy the hell out of me.

2. Linda Barkers "always cutting prices" advert, just plain annoying

3. People who take over the pavement either by walking 2+ wide or stopping in the middle of the pavement with no warning.

4. Spam emails, and I think everyone would agree on that one

5. "Only Fools & Horses", I detest this show
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 09:55   Link #2
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
No "What type are you?" threads allowed
A thread is a "What type..." thread if it requests some sort of trivial information from the members of the forum. (Such as "What is your height?") These threads serve no purpose.

Now, honestly, do you think I should close this thread or not?
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 10:26   Link #3
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
CLOSE IT!!!!.....

although I would post on this thread because it seems interesting... how about some leniency Flash-Squirrel-sama?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_Squirrel
No "What type are you?" threads allowed
A thread is a "What type..." thread if it requests some sort of trivial information from the members of the forum. (Such as "What is your height?") These threads serve no purpose.

Now, honestly, do you think I should close this thread or not?
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 10:31   Link #4
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
That's why I'm asking. Let's see where this thread goes.

Note: Motivate your answers.
Old 2004-01-29, 11:10   Link #5
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
room 101 is from 1984
the 'final' torture room thing
yah..for winston it was rats
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 11:22   Link #6
JayB
Project J-KO

I thought the idea of general chat was to discuss things which are interesting and not related to anime and manga?

I looked through the list of topics and felt there really wasn't too much that was off topic so I was trying to stimulate some good conversation.

Sorry if that doesnt fit in with your plans
Old 2004-01-29, 11:26   Link #7
u&t

Me the bike rider would put the motorists away. Those lazy fatasses have this uncanny ability to not look around while doing these incredibly complicated things like doing a right turn. Getting hit by cars hurts a lot...

The pedestrians are ok. When they decide the bicycle lane is a better place than the sidewalk, they step out in front of you and you hit them it usually hurts them more than it hurts you... plus it's kind fun of seeing how close you can go by at 30 km/h.

Cant comment on the rest. Don't watch TV, don't walk much (cos I have a bike) and I don't get spam.
u&t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 11:28   Link #8
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
1. cockroaches and mosquitos... if anything should be wiped out from the face of this planet, it would be these two species. could you imagine a roomful of them?. i'd go insane...

2. spam mail, pop-ups, viruses.. anything that will prevent my computer from working efficiently.

3. if I was blind or/and deaf... this was covered on another thread asking what would u rather be.. blind, deaf, or mute...? if you think about it... that's terrible!!! if i was blind, wouldn't be able to play games, watch anime, shows, sports, do physically fun activities (basketball, football). And if I was deaf, I wouldn't be able to hear music... I love music...

4. if someone very close to me passed away... it is the worst feeling in the world. that is my ultimate nightmare.

can't think of anything else...
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 11:33   Link #9
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial

aww..you must love the rats

for me it'd be untoasted bagels
Tzurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 11:35   Link #10
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB
Sorry if that doesnt fit in with your plans
No point in acting snobbish like that. I said we will see where this thread goes.

I guess it's a big jump of quality from the usual close+paste rule, or isn't it?
Old 2004-01-29, 11:38   Link #11
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

1: channel 5's annoying 'subliminal message' eyecatch thing (i must watch channel 5 )
2: the woman with linda barker on those adverts
3: eggs (possibly the nastiest things ever)
4: peanuts (just a little bit less nasty ~_~)
5: dog poo (@____________@)
Kyoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 12:13   Link #12
Dark_Voodoo
In The Navy

1. George W Bush (the pain....)

2. If the room was filled with darkness and I could se nothing, hear nothing or feel nothing (thou It would eliminate the Bush problem ^_^ )

3. thousands of small bugs (cant stand small bugs, big ones okey, small? no no no no no )

4. A group of extreme religius fanatics bent on converting non-belivers ( Salvation buggs the hell out of me)

5. Anyone or anything related to "Big Brother" (Get it the *__* away from me )
Dark_Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 12:23   Link #13
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB
I thought the idea of general chat was to discuss things which are interesting and not related to anime and manga?
The point is that this sort of thread normally just generates one line/word replies which in themselves are pretty much pointless. The (deleted) post by boneyjellyfish is typical of this, and it's those sort of replies which degrades the entire thread.

Flash_Squirrel didn't close the thread straight away because at least you did put some thought and gave some explanation to your replies (or at least, I assume that was the reason he didn't close it outright ).

At least Dark_Voodoo gave some (but not much) reasoning. Kyoji's post was a bit borderline. But at the end of the day I have to ask, what are you going to do with this information? Does it really make interesting reading, does it make you stop and ponder the meaning of life, the universe and everything.

So if people want this thread to continue, please justify it's existence!
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 12:41   Link #14
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Voodoo
5. Anyone or anything related to "Big Brother" (Get it the *__* away from me )
Oh the irony
Quote:
Originally Posted by u&t
This is a free for all Trolling thread.
No. It isn't. Re-read xris's post again.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 13:39   Link #15
Lambda

Trying to keep at least somewhat in the spirit of the TV show:

1) Horseracing. It thinks it's a sport. And more irritatingly, other people think it's a sport too. You can be watching something that actually is a sport like athletics, and suddenly someone pops up and says "we're going to go to a horserace now". But it's not a sport. It's a glorified gambling event. In what other sport do you get betting odds prominently flashed up next to competitors at all times? In what other sport do they abandon it if the bookmakers are forced to close? And yet people still think it's a sport. Grrr.

2) Michael Grade. (TV executive). The person who cancelled Doctor Who. The person who then went on an interview on TV and lied about its ratings to a presenter who wasn't knowledgeable enough to correct him. The person who, over 15 years later, appeared on "Room 101" and put Doctor Who in, showing just what a professional fact-based decision it had been when he cancelled it. And could only give "it was made really cheaply" as a reason, something that was the fault of people like him, since it was, surprisingly, BBC management which decided the budget, not the production team. The person who hates science-fiction in general. The person who doesn't understand that imagination and invention that can often only be found outside of "real life" is the foundation of great television, and still gets put in charge of it.

I conclude by referring the reader to Chris Morris' subliminal comment in Brass Eye.

3) While we're on the subject of TV, "wallpaper television". Television is quite possibly the greatest medium for entertainment and information ever invented. So why does 99% of what is put on it have to be designed for nothing more than keeping its viewers semi-comatose?

4) The notion of smart dress. Who decided that wearing a vaguely snakelike piece of fabric hanging from your neck is smart? Who decided that jeans are scruffy? What gives people the right to decide what someone else's dress symbolises? Uncomfortable clothes don't signify "respect" or "seriousness" when I wear them, they signify "not me". People who try to tell other people what to wear (except when there's a good reason, like uniforms for employees dealing with customers) are evil.

5) Shoelaces. We've invented velcro. Why do we still have to fiddle with laces? Most inventions which make life easier we adopt, why did we have to ignore that one? It's stupid. I want velcro fastening shoes!
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 13:45   Link #16
JayB
Project J-KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
The point is that this sort of thread normally just generates one line/word replies which in themselves are pretty much pointless. The (deleted) post by boneyjellyfish is typical of this, and it's those sort of replies which degrades the entire thread.
I apologise if I sounded off with my earlier reply, Xris' explanation was quite clear and I am now aware of what was potentially wrong with the thread. I am still new to this so I will be more careful in future.[FONT=Arial]
Old 2004-01-29, 14:46   Link #17
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forse
I guess some ppl like showing off...
Right. Care to spoon-fed me where the problem exactly is?
Old 2004-01-29, 16:02   Link #18
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambda
2) Michael Grade. (TV executive). The person who cancelled Doctor Who. The person who then went on an interview on TV and lied about its ratings to a presenter who wasn't knowledgeable enough to correct him. The person who, over 15 years later, appeared on "Room 101" and put Doctor Who in, showing just what a professional fact-based decision it had been when he cancelled it. And could only give "it was made really cheaply" as a reason, something that was the fault of people like him, since it was, surprisingly, BBC management which decided the budget, not the production team. The person who hates science-fiction in general. The person who doesn't understand that imagination and invention that can often only be found outside of "real life" is the foundation of great television, and still gets put in charge of it.

I conclude by referring the reader to Chris Morris' subliminal comment in Brass Eye.
Yes he deserves to die a horrible torturous death. DAMN YOU MICHEAL GRADE KONEKO!11!
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 17:54   Link #19
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

1. 350 Kindergarteners " That yells out my name constantly" *note* I see 2 kindergarten classes a day in my lab! Each class has about 25 students.

2. All iMAC/Apple computers! These computers drive me crazy!

3. My younger brothers obnoxious big mouth. ( I do love my brother )

4. Fear Factor! ( reality TV show )

5. Bird poop, don't you hate it when you just washed your car and a mad bomber poops all over your nice clean car. Your car is the only one that gets targeted out of the entire parking lot. *** I always get crapped on! LOL

Last edited by Cammie; 2004-01-29 at 18:15.
Cammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 18:18   Link #20
gravitation
Don't use animesuki now..

In no order of importance i would put in:

[/1\] squeaky balloon noises, its the sound i hate most, it makes me cringe.
[/2\] religous ppl who knock at the door trying to convert you
[/3\] rude trendy thug like people that mug you and stuff
[/4\] The bad actress woman who is on the "ocean finance" advert...she is old and when she is on the camera looks to the side occasionally
[/5\] My friend Chaz.
gravitation is offline   Reply With Quote