Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-05-28, 20:56   Link #41
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Either way, the character sheet has text below it which confirms it's a full 3DCG anime production. So that's that.
My god, I was right . Now all the characters will look glossy and plastic-y thanks to the cel-shade. *sigh*
Old 2013-05-29, 00:22   Link #42
Cloudenvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
The revelation that Kishi will be on the directorial helm for this has made me lower expectations.
You and me both, buddy. You and me both.
Cloudenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 00:55   Link #43
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I hope that this and Exiled in Paradise (And stuff like Love Live), aren't the signs of a new emerging trend in the industry. The last thing I want for anime is for it to be pixar'd.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 01:47   Link #44
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I hope that this and Exiled in Paradise (And stuff like Love Live), aren't the signs of a new emerging trend in the industry. The last thing I want for anime is for it to be pixar'd.
I hope so too. This being a full 3DCG with cel-shaded characters is enough to kill a large portion of my excitement about this being animated .
Old 2013-05-29, 02:23   Link #45
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
I think that will largely depend on whether traditional studios can stay financially competitive and viable as places of employment which are attractive to future generations of artists looking for work. Don't blame studios like Sanzigen and Orange for offering attractive alternatives. It is a good thing that CG animators and artists who are also interested in anime now have more places to work, and are able to produce more work in the industry, gaining more experience and improving the standard in the industry.

If traditional animation dies, it will ultimately be because it is too much work with too little pay without enough profits to keep that part of the industry attractive. That is the reason why traditional animation has mostly died out in America.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 02:30   Link #46
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Given that 3DCGI has been steadily improving in visual and technical quality within the past two decades, wanting to stifle that improvement does a disservice to the artists working to the end of making 3D CGI look as good, or better than 2D hand drawn animation.

I don't think 2D animation is gonna die out anytime soon, as many 2D works are now made mostly on computers as well, but I don't mind 3D as long as they can further improve how it looks.

While I would have liked Arpeggio to be a 2D/3D hybrid animation, I'm not that opposed to it being completely 3D, and am interested to see how it handles it.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 02:46   Link #47
duckroll
綺羅星★!

The site and trailer should be online tomorrow anyway. Not too long to wait. No need to be prejudiced against something just because of how it's made.
Old 2013-05-29, 03:21   Link #48
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

My main gripe about this particular adaptation is this: cel-shaded characters never look as convincing as the hand-drawn ones. Their skin looks glossy whenever they move and whatever situation they’re in. Their movement itself most often awkward to look at (I even prefer the traditional still images in hand-drawn anime than cel-shade’s robotic moves). IMO cel-shading is nothing like Pixar’s convincing 3DCG characters since the element of “gloss” will always be there that prevent the characters from looking organic. It’s fine if the characters are robots or cyborgs like in 009, but here, we got actual humans.

That said, I still want to be proven wrong by the time the PV/trailer comes out. Against all my reasoning, I like to be blown away by Sanzigen's animation when the series started.
Old 2013-05-29, 06:25   Link #49
Tenzen12

You guys just had go with your realism and crush my hopes and dreams under you heels, did you?

Anyway Drama cast did great job. Also is it just me or Kirishima just have to be played by Miuyki Sawashiro? Even if I have some thoughts about possible cast, this one is have to.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2013-05-29 at 06:38.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 06:41   Link #50
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Interesting news. To be honest, this will be the first anime where I have read the manga first (I just don't have the time to read the wealth of manga out there). The hand wringing in this thread has me somewhat concerned though, but I guess we'll see what happens.

Endless "Expectations" Soul
Old 2013-05-29, 06:53   Link #51
whitecloud

I just hope the battle will be good and no material cut here and there...
Old 2013-05-29, 07:44   Link #52
Mitsu Aoi
Undine in the box T_T

Send a message via Yahoo to Mitsu Aoi
Thank you guys for the reply.

I can't wait to see the OVER POWERED Ships.

Canned Tomato Soup and Avocado Flavored Noodles are her favorites.
Mitsu Aoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 09:23   Link #53
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Promo image:

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 09:40   Link #54
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

So far I'm glad that the cast already has the amazing voice talents of Yuuki Aoi (I can totally picture her as Iona already), Satou Rina, and Hanazawa Kana.

Endless "No nickname" Soul
Old 2013-05-29, 09:47   Link #55
Cloudenvy

Her hand looks broken. It hurts just looking at it.
Cloudenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 09:54   Link #56
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I got no problem with the promo art. Nice find, Lowe. I wanna make it into a poster .

Anyway, I can’t wait to see the PV/trailer to get this anxiety off my chest. But if the trailer is bad, I’ll get even more anxious, damn! XD
Old 2013-05-29, 10:03   Link #57
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
If traditional animation dies, it will ultimately be because it is too much work with too little pay without enough profits to keep that part of the industry attractive. That is the reason why traditional animation has mostly died out in America.
Exactly, and that is why I will be very sad. I miss the days when Disney used to make all those 2D films. Do I hate pixar? Not particularly. I like many Pixar films, but usually not as much as Disney's glory day films.

I just have a preference for 2D animation, and 3DCGI often just goes too far into uncanny valley for me to work out well at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Given that 3DCGI has been steadily improving in visual and technical quality within the past two decades, wanting to stifle that improvement does a disservice to the artists working to the end of making 3D CGI look as good, or better than 2D hand drawn animation.
If working hard is all it took in this world, there'd be a lot more successful people around. It is not a requirement for me to support them simply because they work hard. I don't like their work. Sucks for them.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 10:07   Link #58
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Official site: http://www.aokihagane.com/

Trailer:

Quote:
If working hard is all it took in this world, there'd be a lot more successful people around. It is not a requirement for me to support them simply because they work hard. I don't like their work. Sucks for them.
And making you happy is not a requirement for them to be in the industry. If more people like that sort of work, and the stuff you like eventually ceases to exist... sucks for you.

See how it goes both ways?
Old 2013-05-29, 10:20   Link #59
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

That's a good trailer.

It's still too early to judge about the 3D CG art.
Old 2013-05-29, 10:29   Link #60
Jetzero Infinity

Don't know anything about this series but it seems interesting and the CGI in the trailer looked pretty good to me. Still too early to say how good it'll look overall but if the studio has experience with it I don't think it'll end up looking outrageously terrible.
Jetzero Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action-adventure, alternate history, battleships, cgi, military science fiction