Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2018-09-18, 11:48   Link #1
Marina2

Captain Marvel (MCU film)

First Official Trailer just released today

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

It feels.........lack of power?

"Another" Captain Marvel Trailer gave me better first impression.
Old 2018-09-18, 21:47   Link #2
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Carol doesn't need to portray feats of strength. Carol need to portray what she is as a person, and what her film will be about.

And knowing what I know about Comic Carol, this trailer did very well. But I guess non-comic readers would be confused about Carol not being what they are used to for female leads.

Carol is very different from all the MCU heroes up until now. Most importantly she is NOT a female Steve Rogers. In fact she is not a female anything, she is Carol. Just Carol. I have my hopes and expectations, and I know chances are slim to get everything I want. But this trailer doesn't disappoint me on that front.
Old 2018-09-19, 00:30   Link #3
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I don't know about you guys, but I think the trailer kinda overdid the heroic music to the point where it actually lessen the excitement (at least for me). And how many times did they used that alarm-like "wooooooom"-sound? It's so distracting .
Old 2018-09-19, 01:28   Link #4
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
And knowing what I know about Comic Carol, this trailer did very well. But I guess non-comic readers would be confused about Carol not being what they are used to for female leads.
A reimagining of classic Carol is an interesting way to take this movie; for some reason I'm surprised they did it this way, though I shouldn't be, it's not like it's the first time they've done it.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-19, 12:42   Link #5
belatkuro
Kuro-chan

Given that it's set in the past and has aliens, isn't there a contradiction regarding Fury? By that I mean wouldn't he have prepared already for alien invasions if it already happened in the past and I heard this was set in the 90's. But in the first Avengers film, he just recently started to do preparations because of the events of the first Thor movie with Thor and the Destroyer wreaking havoc there. That because of them he realized the Earth was not alone and basically defenseless against enemies outside.

Maybe Fury didn't have enough funding? Or maybe the technology he had wasn't enough and when the MCU timeline started that he just had enough to begin then. They did have the Tesseract for 70 years since Howard Stark fished it out during the end of Capt America movie but only in Avengers did research on it started. Or maybe he already had some things done but it was shelved due to nothing happening for years and only when Thor arrived did the preparations continue again.

I'm not familiar with Capt Marvel so I can't comment much yet on her so this was the part I focused on since learning about this movie being in the past. So yeah.
belatkuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-20, 09:05   Link #6
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by belatkuro View Post
Given that it's set in the past and has aliens, isn't there a contradiction regarding Fury? By that I mean wouldn't he have prepared already for alien invasions if it already happened in the past and I heard this was set in the 90's. But in the first Avengers film, he just recently started to do preparations because of the events of the first Thor movie with Thor and the Destroyer wreaking havoc there. That because of them he realized the Earth was not alone and basically defenseless against enemies outside.
Indeed. In The Avengers, Fury specifically said that the reason he and SHIELD started to make alien-tech advanced weaponry was due to the appearance of Thor and other beings from Asgard wreaking havoc in New Mexico. So, unless Fury suffered from selective amnesia at the end of Captain Marvel after being aware of the existence of Skrulls, that will be an obvious retcon.
Old 2018-09-20, 09:29   Link #7
foxbox360
New Age Badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Indeed. In The Avengers, Fury specifically said that the reason he and SHIELD started to make alien-tech advanced weaponry was due to the appearance of Thor and other beings from Asgard wreaking havoc in New Mexico. So, unless Fury suffered from selective amnesia at the end of Captain Marvel after being aware of the existence of Skrulls, that will be an obvious retcon.
Its ether a retcon or Fury keep some secrets to himself, just have to wait for the movie to confirm it.
Old 2018-09-20, 10:11   Link #8
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Fury looked rather young in the trailer, this was probably before he became Director of SHIELD. Thor showing up and causing a mess in New Mexico might have been what got him the support to start the Avengers Protocol.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-20, 10:51   Link #9
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Also, if we want to keep the MCU canon-continuity intact, the battles against whatever aliens Cap M. face in the movie should be totally low profile to the public to the point where it doesn't cause the masses to be aware of aliens. As we all know, people at large in MCU only fully aware about aliens after the events of Avengers. Before that, they were kinda confused about Thor and the destruction in New Mexico.

Unless they got mass-neuralyzer or time-travel in the plot, there shouldn't be a high-profile great battle against aliens that's witnessed by the masses in the movie.
Old 2018-09-26, 22:12   Link #10
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
It'll be interesting to see how they handle things with the aliens, the public (keeping this fight out of it) and Fury himself. Of course there are always going to be extra questions when you are tapping into he past like this. Why didn't Fury call for Captain Marvel during the past 2 Avengers incidents? But I think you can work around things. That aliens existed wasn't so much what set Fury and Shield off, it was the overwhelming destructive power of the Destroyer and Asgardians. If the threats here are more stealthy and less obviously dangerous/powerful then it wouldn't warrant the same weapons of mass destruction response as the developments in Thor did.

As to the trailer itself.....it was fine. It is still a bit hard to get a good feel for Captain Marvel yet from just that. Fingers crossed. But the MCU has handled new characters pretty well over all these years so I don't expect anything different here.

What kind of person she is will determine how much I like her character. And there just wasn't enough in the trailer for me to get a feel on that yet.
Old 2018-09-28, 06:16   Link #11
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Well, even if you know about aliens, creating alien tech weapons require you know alien tech and after Battle of NY there was lot of that all around.
Old 2018-09-28, 06:25   Link #12
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Well, even if you know about aliens, creating alien tech weapons require you know alien tech and after Battle of NY there was lot of that all around.
Fury's conversation that we refer to happened before the Battle of NY (watch the movie again if you don't believe me).

Also, we're not talking about technology. We're talking about Fury & Shield's reasoning to build and stockpile alien-powered weapons. In which Fury specifically said the initiative was made & encouraged after the arrival of the Asgardians and the Destroyer in New Mexico, not random aliens in the 90s.
Old 2018-09-28, 12:00   Link #13
Tenzen12

I don't have reason doubt you. I might disagree with you at times but I never denied your almost encyclopedical knowledge.

This time it's not really even matter of disagreeing. I tried find reasons how it could work without dismissing whole thing as plot hole and failed. You might have better result if you tried though.
Old 2018-12-03, 23:30   Link #14
saya_leviathan

New trailer just dropped in.
YouTube

Nick Fury is a cat lover.
saya_leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-04, 08:13   Link #15
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

"So you're a race of noble warriors?"

"HEROES...noble warrior HEROES"

That is so on-the-nose, it hurts. I hope the movie can provide a better context for it but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 2018-12-05, 01:58   Link #16
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Are... we getting Binary Form? That would at least validate the claim that she's stronger than Hulk and Thanos.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-01, 11:39   Link #17
Tenzen12

So based on testimonies of people watching pre-screening, best part of movie was... a cat.

I don't understand why people on net are so critical about it. If critics praised how STRONK and EMPOWERED protagonist is, I would understand premature bashing, but I find only natural cat stealing show. That's what cats do and it's apparently enough to even such site as Mary Sue shut up about SJ.

#CatsCultureWarSolution
Old 2019-02-03, 21:09   Link #18
saya_leviathan

YouTube
saya_leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-06, 11:38   Link #19
Ruki0089
Yandere Otoko Ruki-tan

Just come back after watching... Man, It's good to see Coulson again.
We got twisted by Comic. I love this Universe Skrull
And the reason Nick Fury lost his eyes is really ... Pffff
The post credit awesome.
Old 2019-03-07, 02:34   Link #20
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Good movie, not top tier MCU film but good. Carol's smart, spunky and sassy which is awesome.

Just feels weird that they chose this film to be the lead up to Endgame. Personally this should have been the movie to directly follow Infinity War, then have Antman and the Wasp be the one the precede Endgame. Given the events at the end of IW and the plotline of CM it would have felt more organic for them to follow each other.

As for Carol...

Spoiler for Spoilers:
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote