AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-13, 04:01   Link #16261
Eratas123

Overall, Academy City's future doesn't look that bright. Still, we've got a long way to go till the end
Old 2012-01-13, 04:11   Link #16262
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
But of course, our heroes won't let THAT happen, LOLZ. And an army of adolescent espers actually makes a competent army.
Nope, the heroes can't do everything on their own and a bunch of ragtag misfit espers doesn't make a decent army. How many Espers do you think have actual life or death experience. Most magicians are basically trained to kill, and GREMLIN has shown several counter measures to Espers. Espers have one power each, magicians can have multiple specialties. Not to mention in-fighting and other things. Don't forget the majority of Espers are kids, and exposing kids to that kind of life would literally shatter them.

We don't need a bunch of people with old Accelerator's mindset running around do we?

....This would make a very, very dark fanfic....
Old 2012-01-13, 08:52   Link #16263
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
Overall, Academy City's future doesn't look that bright. Still, we've got a long way to go till the end
Academy City's future doesn't even look bright the moment Aleister Crowley's pegged as a possible antagonist in the future.

Last edited by Hell_ping; 2012-01-13 at 11:08. Reason: Typo
Old 2012-01-13, 10:48   Link #16264
zaeraal

Even Academic City's present does not look very bright, so I don't see how the future will be bright.

As for my vision of AC future:
either the NO POWERS scenario (where Touma takes away all powers of espers and magicians) or the
Darker Than Black scenario (AC breaking apart in some insane experiment (for example turning from level 5 to level 6), espers dead or disapeared or on run and what remained of AC will be sealed) or the
needless scenario (AC will be destroyed and only some espers will survive and they will become hunted)

About the parameter list and that it is their decision to join - If they were told about it, I really wonder how many of them would really join.
It's like the Level Upper, those students weren't told what will happen to them if they use it, they just used because they believed it will get them powers,
it's the same with AC, students go there because they want powers, they aren't told about the consequences..
Yes, if you have at age of 6 (age in which kids join elementary schools in Japan) some good Biochemistry knowledge, you could probably guess what they will do to your brain, that the effort thing might be not so true, that they will have to conduct experiments on humans to get new results, meaning that those powers are based on countless human sacrifices, that other countries will probably want to research it too if they find you and other consequences.

And how would the magicians or other countries know who is ESPER and who not?
Heck, level 0 can be barely detected even by AC and the AIM tracking devices work only on level 5.
And in AC you have schools with normal students too, that didn't wanted to follow the curriculum (Maika is one of them)

Plus how can you even backtrack what AC did?
Not only the other countries does not have the technology to research brain to that extent,
they don't know what you "originally" had in brain, so they can't even compare it to anything.
Old 2012-01-13, 13:04   Link #16265
rubix22
On Cleaning Duty

If we're talking about the future...

Mecha-Aleister. A robot who floats upside down without the use of a tube. Entirely plausible, don't you think?

I'm not sure why we're talking about things so far in the future... I mean, we can hardly see what's coming next in the 'present'. Really, all these theories can change so easily with a new novel.
Old 2012-01-13, 13:59   Link #16266
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubix91 View Post
I'm not sure why we're talking about things so far in the future... I mean, we can hardly see what's coming next in the 'present'. Really, all these theories can change so easily with a new novel.
We talk about things so far in the future because it's fun.
Old 2012-01-13, 17:16   Link #16267
Eratas123

Doesn't Academy City have non-esper schools as well? How are they not being harassed like the Level 0's are? Maika's an example (Then again, I'd like to see someone try to harass her while the Sis-con Seargent is around)
Old 2012-01-13, 17:16   Link #16268
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Nope, the heroes can't do everything on their own and a bunch of ragtag misfit espers doesn't make a decent army. How many Espers do you think have actual life or death experience. Most magicians are basically trained to kill, and GREMLIN has shown several counter measures to Espers. Espers have one power each, magicians can have multiple specialties. Not to mention in-fighting and other things. Don't forget the majority of Espers are kids, and exposing kids to that kind of life would literally shatter them.

We don't need a bunch of people with old Accelerator's mindset running around do we?

....This would make a very, very dark fanfic....
Judgement? They're a decent force even if the group is composed of people like Kuroko. XD And a bunch of Level 0, Level 4 and 5's have competent leadership skills like Kongou, Seiri, and Mental Out.

BTW, who is ITEM's current team leader?

And not all magicians are trained to kill and has a wide array of spellsl: each school of thought(religious order) has a different specialization.
Old 2012-01-13, 19:02   Link #16269
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
Judgement? They're a decent force even if the group is composed of people like Kuroko. XD And a bunch of Level 0, Level 4 and 5's have competent leadership skills like Kongou, Seiri, and Mental Out.

BTW, who is ITEM's current team leader?

And not all magicians are trained to kill and has a wide array of spellsl: each school of thought(religious order) has a different specialization.
Judgement can fall back on Anti-Skills and they are conscripted to use non lethal force. Kuroko needs to be able to concentrate to use teleport, you think she'd be able to if on an active battlefield? Mental Out and Kongou are Ojous, neither is involved with the dark side of things, and Seiri (Fukiyose right?) may be able to organize things, but let's face it, if she was involved in half the things Touma was in, she'd be a nervous wreck.

We're talking about organizing survivors in a manner that won't get them killed, yet having to fight to kill. Not to mention, they'd have to reign with an iron fist and stomp out dissidents in order to ensure the livelihood of the majority, which will require so...harsh actions.

Not one of those children can or should have to do that, otherwise they wind up like the dysfunctional ones.

I said most magicians were trained to kill, not all. They live in a world of darkness, and as such they kill and expect to be killed.
Old 2012-01-13, 19:36   Link #16270
Eratas123

ITEM's current leader's unknown right now. Officially, it's supposed to be Saiai, but with Mugino back the role of leader's unknown right now. I think ITEM (The group) disbanded after Accelerator threatened the dark side when he came back to Academy City.
Old 2012-01-14, 01:11   Link #16271
leukrota

Quote:
Judgement can fall back on Anti-Skills and they are conscripted to use non lethal force. Kuroko needs to be able to concentrate to use teleport, you think she'd be able to if on an active battlefield? Mental Out and Kongou are Ojous, neither is involved with the dark side of things, and Seiri (Fukiyose right?) may be able to organize things, but let's face it, if she was involved in half the things Touma was in, she'd be a nervous wreck.
Kuroko can use her teleport during highly stressful situations, Vol. 8 and Railgun SS1 prove it... then again, in both she eventually fails so it would be a matter of knowing her limits and never fighting alone, but she still is a force to be reckoned with. Kongou might not be that great, but it seems like Mental Out is familiar with the dark side... and besides, all level 5 are strong enough to be dangerous weapons.

The real issue is that there would not be enough strength to make an army out of the students. Almost all the level 2-, which make the vast majority of Academy City, would be mostly useless in a war, and the level 3 at best would be as good as regular armed soldiers.

Though another matter would be if the students took for themselves the Dark Matter and Cyborg technologies...

Quote:
Not one of those children can or should have to do that, otherwise they wind up like the dysfunctional ones.
There's no questioning that they would break down mentally... But if war is forced upon them, they would have no choice but to fight for survival...
Old 2012-01-14, 01:25   Link #16272
ellifeedn
Thinker

Unless Aliester unleashes some sort of field similar to the AIM field that can boost psychic powers I don't think he can have an efficient ESPer army for some time.
Old 2012-01-14, 02:16   Link #16273
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
Kuroko can use her teleport during highly stressful situations, Vol. 8 and Railgun SS1 prove it... then again, in both she eventually fails so it would be a matter of knowing her limits and never fighting alone, but she still is a force to be reckoned with. Kongou might not be that great, but it seems like Mental Out is familiar with the dark side... and besides, all level 5 are strong enough to be dangerous weapons.

The real issue is that there would not be enough strength to make an army out of the students. Almost all the level 2-, which make the vast majority of Academy City, would be mostly useless in a war, and the level 3 at best would be as good as regular armed soldiers.

Though another matter would be if the students took for themselves the Dark Matter and Cyborg technologies...

There's no questioning that they would break down mentally... But if war is forced upon them, they would have no choice but to fight for survival...
With bombs going off over the battlefield and gunfire, I doubt she'd be able to tune it out and properly teleport. Even if she could, at best, she'd be a sniper, using the shadows and cover to fight. I sincerely doubt Kongou or Mental Out have truly seen how dark things are, otherwise they'd be like Meltdowner. Plus, how do you think most of the Ojous would respond to losing access to their fortunes? I doubt most of them can take care of themselves, and in a situation like this...well, a lot of Skill-Out with pent-up rage at their attitudes WILL make a move.

I doubt that the students would even know how to use Dark Matter or the cyborg parts either. And even if you say they'll have to fight for survival, but do you honestly think the majority of them will adapt well to it? Mental breakdowns can have traumatic effects on Espers, it could strip them of their powers or drive them to suicide.

Needless to say, it would quickly turn into a nightmare for those amongst the living...
Old 2012-01-14, 02:46   Link #16274
leukrota

Quote:
With bombs going off over the battlefield and gunfire, I doubt she'd be able to tune it out and properly teleport. Even if she could, at best, she'd be a sniper, using the shadows and cover to fight. I sincerely doubt Kongou or Mental Out have truly seen how dark things are, otherwise they'd be like Meltdowner. Plus, how do you think most of the Ojous would respond to losing access to their fortunes? I doubt most of them can take care of themselves, and in a situation like this...well, a lot of Skill-Out with pent-up rage at their attitudes WILL make a move.

I doubt that the students would even know how to use Dark Matter or the cyborg parts either. And even if you say they'll have to fight for survival, but do you honestly think the majority of them will adapt well to it? Mental breakdowns can have traumatic effects on Espers, it could strip them of their powers or drive them to suicide.

Needless to say, it would quickly turn into a nightmare for those amongst the living...
They don't need to know how to use cyborg tech, it connects to the subject's brain and tell them how to use it... potentially taking over them, but they would be functional weapons... and the dark matter probably has a similar system, even if it's not a cyborg tech itself (which I think it is.)

Anyway, about the suicides, I doubt there would be that many. You know, it has happened in real life too many times, peaceful people get invaded, many die, but also many adapt and fight back however they can until they win, die or get submitted... the suicides are more likely in the aftermath, once they realize they can't go back to what they once were (regardless of who won.)

About Skill-Out going against the Espers, do you really think that would happen? they themselves would also be the target of the invaders, so the most reasonable course of action would be to unite against the common enemy.

And about the Ojous, why would they matter? it's not like there are that many of them compared to the rest, and I only give credit to Mental Out, not the others, I believe she's darker than you say she is.

EDIT: Of course, if they had to fight against magicians, they would be doomed, unless they had Kazakiri with them (in which the magicians would the the ones doomed )

... Maybe we should move this discussion to speculations, interesting as it may be it has no place here.
Old 2012-01-14, 02:53   Link #16275
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Plus, how do you think most of the Ojous would respond to losing access to their fortunes?
Most likely their families would use their connections to get their daughters out at all costs. We're talking about serious money here, and the ability to hire PMCs.
Old 2012-01-14, 02:55   Link #16276
judasmartel
*Author

So, is it possible to have more classical-element Espers in the future.

See, we already have:

Lightning - Mikoto (Level 5), WORST (4), LO (3), the Sisters (2)
Wind - Kongou (4), Saten (while under Level Upper)
Fire - Bank Robber Leader in Railgun (2)
Water - Those Two Girls at Tokiwadai (3)

I want to see these elements: Earth, more Fire, and Ice. And oh, I have a theory about Cryomaster Uiharu!
Old 2012-01-14, 02:58   Link #16277
leukrota

^ Personally I prefer more unconventional powers, I wouldn't like this to be an X-men copy.
Old 2012-01-14, 04:26   Link #16278
judasmartel
*Author

Hehe, nothing like the X-Men, huh? Does it have to border the "What Kind Of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?" kind?
Old 2012-01-14, 05:36   Link #16279
leukrota

That would not be unconventional, but rather an overused "Lame Power of the Heart"

If you want an example of what I mean by unconventional then consider what if Uiharu, instead of being a pyro/cryomaster, had the power to control entropy.

EDIT: On second thought "Measure Heart" is kinda cool ... just don't throw at me the Care Bears...

Last edited by leukrota; 2012-01-14 at 06:26.
Old 2012-01-14, 07:48   Link #16280
judasmartel
*Author

If you mean by controlling entropy the power to alter an object's temperature at will, i.e., she can burn or freeze her targets without the elemental baggage, yeah, I'll buy that.

@Measure Heart: Effect varies from person to person. Some targets cannot attack her because their heart tells them that they can't harm her, others might feel betrayed and run into a Berserk mode, instead.

Say, Shiage cannot attack Measure Heart because his heart tells him that MH is Rikou even though his mind clearly tells him that MH is NOT Rikou. On the other hand, MH cannot use her power on the likes of Accelerator (assuming MH can even bypass Vector Redirection) because he will feel betrayed and will run amok and unleash Dark Angel Mode instead.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen