c&c?
Old 2011-01-08, 13:29   Link #24
Suomi
Kaiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan kyuubi View Post
My take on this.....

c&c?
I like the first one but not the others. Though the text should be reworked i think.
Old 2011-01-08, 13:39   Link #25
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
My take on this.....

c&c?
Agreeing with Illusore. Also, um, not trying to be rude or accusative or anything, but I just recall that the third one is a wallpaper from Minitokyo and perhaps Animepaper...
Spoiler:

Are we allowed to crop from wallpapers like that? Cause I feel like most of the credit should go to the original maker if all you did was crop from it and put text on it.
Old 2011-01-08, 13:59   Link #26
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
I agree with Haladfire .. Participating in an art competition of sorts with image where all you did was add text on it seems a bit .. you know. With that said, I began to wonder if the first image is a crop too.

The third image would be nice if you actually had done it .. Though the text on the right, I like it .. while the text on the left I don't. The SOTM text is so different from the Byakuya that it just looks weird.
Old 2011-01-08, 15:12   Link #27
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusore View Post
I like the first one but not the others. Though the text should be reworked i think.
I always have problems with text

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
Agreeing with Illusore. Also, um, not trying to be rude or accusative or anything, but I just recall that the third one is a wallpaper from Minitokyo and perhaps Animepaper...
Spoiler:

Are we allowed to crop from wallpapers like that? Cause I feel like most of the credit should go to the original maker if all you did was crop from it and put text on it.
Yes it is a wallpaper I just added some lighting effects and some other tools (blur, dodge, brushes etc). And yest it is allowed to use some finished pics, it is frown upon if you only crop it. But as long as you add some stuff of yours in it it's fine. Many do this, I believe you did the same thing with your cyberpunk/steampunk entry (if my memory serves me right) Also how do we do sigs for some members that only post pics? We crop them and then change the outlook of the part we cropped. I am sure many sigs makers don't extract render for every single pic they chose to make sig out to. I think that only stiling someone's already finished sig is against the rules (I think that goes for the sigs that other maker made on different forums).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
I agree with Haladfire .. Participating in an art competition of sorts with image where all you did was add text on it seems a bit .. you know. With that said, I began to wonder if the first image is a crop too.
Like I said to Halad many use already finished pics which they edit then. And I did not just put the text on, I also put many different tools to use.
The first sig has the background cropped which then I changed and added some effects, brushes etc. The figures were more put at the first plan then (with some changes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
The third image would be nice if you actually had done it .. Though the text on the right, I like it .. while the text on the left I don't. The SOTM text is so different from the Byakuya that it just looks weird.
Like I said to Illu, I suck a text Trough not always
Old 2011-01-08, 15:24   Link #28
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:

Yes it is a wallpaper I just added some lighting effects and some other tools (blur, dodge, brushes etc). And yest it is allowed to use some finished pics, it is frown upon if you only crop it. But as long as you add some stuff of yours in it it's fine. Many do this, I believe you did the same thing with your cyberpunk/steampunk entry (if my memory serves me right) Also how do we do sigs for some members that only post pics? We crop them and then change the outlook of the part we cropped.

Well I think the problem is that at least I personally can't see what has been changed when I compare the source and the signature you made. When people make signatures from pictures, they usually change it so drastically that it can actually be called something else than just a cropped picture. Like change background / different color etc.

But maybe it is just me that I can't see the difference since I'm not a sig maker.

For text, like I said I like the text on the right side, so I feel the SOTM text should be something like it even if not with the same font. Two completely different looking fonts just look weird.
Old 2011-01-08, 15:25   Link #29
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Yes it is a wallpaper I just added some lighting effects and some other tools (blur, dodge, brushes etc). And yest it is allowed to use some finished pics, it is frown upon if you only crop it. But as long as you add some stuff of yours in it it's fine. Many do this, I believe you did the same thing with your cyberpunk/steampunk entry (if my memory serves me right) Also how do we do sigs for some members that only post pics? We crop them and then change the outlook of the part we cropped. I am sure many sigs makers don't extract render for every single pic they chose to make sig out to. I think that only stiling someone's already finished sig is against the rules (I think that goes for the sigs that other maker made on different forums).

Like I said to Halad many use already finished pics which they edit then. And I did not just put the text on, I also put many different tools to use.
The first sig has the background cropped which then I changed and added some effects, brushes etc. The figures were more put at the first plan then (with some changes).
I use scans, not wallpapers. My cyberpunk entry was from a scan from an artbook or something of the sort. I tend to stay away from fanart and doujins too. Scans are from magazines, official artbooks and such. With wallpapers, things are a bit different because they've already been worked on by other people from scans. Walling is a lot like sigmaking. From my point of view, it would be like making a signature by cropping it from a larger signature. For the particular wallpaper you used, you can see that a hell of a lot of work would've gone into it from its original scan. I don't think the differences from the wallpaper are apparent enough in it, you say you put in effects but I only see a slight difference in colour.

... just my two cents. I hope I'm not being rude, and we're probably getting off-topic. I'll stop here and leave it for the organizers to handle...

Edit: Ver. 2. Not sure if anyone would understand the text, especially without the context, but I also touched up on the edges and stuff

Spoiler for ver. 1 for comparison:

Last edited by Haladflire65; 2011-01-08 at 16:13.
Old 2011-01-08, 16:28   Link #30
Kagayaki

^ I really like the text. Nice job!
Old 2011-01-08, 20:33   Link #31
JuJuBeez

Final Entry

Since it was still cold in January, why not warm things up with some PALMS! Ahh I feel warmer already! ^__^

Last edited by JuJuBeez; 2011-01-09 at 04:11.
Old 2011-01-08, 22:05   Link #32
Suomi
Kaiba

So, I started with this, but I can't seem to find a good lighting effect/stock bg to work with to make the backlight. Part of the problem is not finding anything I like and part of the problem is the black grunge brushing around the edges has white around ITS edges. I could scrap the brushing around the edges, though...but
any suggestions for the backlighting?
Old 2011-01-09, 04:12   Link #33
JuJuBeez

Did you do the grunge brushes or did it come like that? Were you planning on using a real background or...a homemade one? Just wanna get a jist of what you're referring to
Old 2011-01-09, 04:18   Link #34
Kagayaki

Quote:
part of the problem is the black grunge brushing around the edges has white around ITS edges.
Try multiply under layer blending modes. I'm sure that the render will be as dark or darker than whatever's behind it, so you might be able to set the render on multiply and not have to worry about the white edges.

Although then the backlight will show through on the highlights of the render. If that's a problem, maybe if you duplicate the render, remove the brushing from the top copy and set the bottom copy to multiply that will do the trick. Or something. I dunno, you can experiment with it.

tl;dr: try messing around with multiply

Last edited by Kagayaki; 2011-01-09 at 04:34.
Old 2011-01-09, 09:38   Link #35
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

I tried something different, using material than I previously used before, C&C are welcome.
Old 2011-01-09, 09:58   Link #36
LKK

@ganbaru: The edges around the silhouette look very jagged. Maybe some blending??

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2011-01-09, 12:31   Link #37
Raildex
*Graphic Designer

does this count?

if it does C&C
Old 2011-01-09, 12:55   Link #38
Suomi
Kaiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
Try multiply under layer blending modes. I'm sure that the render will be as dark or darker than whatever's behind it, so you might be able to set the render on multiply and not have to worry about the white edges.

Although then the backlight will show through on the highlights of the render. If that's a problem, maybe if you duplicate the render, remove the brushing from the top copy and set the bottom copy to multiply that will do the trick. Or something. I dunno, you can experiment with it.

tl;dr: try messing around with multiply
I just removed the brushing from the edges I just need to figure out what to do for the backlighting now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJuBeez View Post
Did you do the grunge brushes or did it come like that? Were you planning on using a real background or...a homemade one? Just wanna get a jist of what you're referring to
I did the grunge brushes. Though now I've gotten rid of the ones around the edges and just used them to silhouette her out. I don't know about the background, I'm willing to do either. I'm looking for suggestions actually suggestions/ideas...?
Old 2011-01-09, 14:37   Link #39
Raildex
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I did the grunge brushes. Though now I've gotten rid of the ones around the edges and just used them to silhouette her out. I don't know about the background, I'm willing to do either. I'm looking for suggestions actually suggestions/ideas...?
I would suggest using a stock.
A stock of what? i really don't know, but i would suggest using a anime stock, they go well with Silhouettes for some reason >_>

The theme made it really hard for me to make a "homemade" BG, so i gave up and used a stock
Old 2011-01-09, 16:13   Link #40
Suomi
Kaiba

First try:
[IMG]http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7697/sotmsilstartish.jpg/IMG]

no text:

I kind of want to use the text, but don't know where to put it...

CREDITS TO:
original painting of the girl: Ryoung on deviantArt
starlight brushes: JS_scully7491 on dA