AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-09, 14:50   Link #21
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I kind of wonder if perhaps he'd doing this to ween society off of virtual games. How many people will trust games now that this has happened? I suspect that game sales (of ANY game) will have dropped dramatically.

Endless "Go outside and play!" Soul
But why would he create the NerveGear and this huge online game(I don't believe this is his first one using the NerveGear, from what Kirito said in ep1) with the intention to kill interest in it? Doesn't make much sense.

Seems more like some kind of notion to want to become a god or something. Yeah, that's pretty far-fetched in itself, but he seemed to revel in the fact that the lives of these 10000(?) players were in his hands.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 18:35   Link #22
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Unfortunately I'm not the kind of person who will accept a "for teh evulz" excuse unless the character is just a really demented psychopath with absolute zero sympathy for human life. Sure what he's doing is pretty nuts, but from how he acted in the first episode, he didn't seem incredibly maniacal in personality.

Otherwise, even if it's entertaining to him on the side, there should be a greater motive for doing what he's doing.
Godhood delusion

can't become one in real life, then become a God in Virtual life.
Old 2012-07-09, 23:24   Link #23
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Godhood delusion

can't become one in real life, then become a God in Virtual life.
I'm leaning more toward him wanting people to know the value of life.
Old 2012-07-09, 23:48   Link #24
guenthar

I have been wondering why everyone hasn't already been removed from the game within a week of this starting. There are ways you can remove people from a system like this without worrying about failsafes killing the person.

The only real plausible explanation is that everything the guy said was a lie and no one has died and he is actually using the device to manipulate their sense of time so that they think they are in it the entire time but they actually are not. They will think that they are in the world for months or even years when in the outside world it had only been a few hours at most. Everyone not in the game or has left the game will be locked out so that the people in the game won't know the truth.

PS. The whole reason to have a game where everyone thinks they will really die is to make it feel real. Making it so you feel like you are truly a part of the game which if you didn't feel mortality then you would never feel that.
Old 2012-07-10, 00:35   Link #25
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by guenthar View Post
I have been wondering why everyone hasn't already been removed from the game within a week of this starting. There are ways you can remove people from a system like this without worrying about failsafes killing the person.

The only real plausible explanation is that everything the guy said was a lie and no one has died and he is actually using the device to manipulate their sense of time so that they think they are in it the entire time but they actually are not. They will think that they are in the world for months or even years when in the outside world it had only been a few hours at most. Everyone not in the game or has left the game will be locked out so that the people in the game won't know the truth.

PS. The whole reason to have a game where everyone thinks they will really die is to make it feel real. Making it so you feel like you are truly a part of the game which if you didn't feel mortality then you would never feel that.
Or that the guy is truly a super genius and was able to make the devices with tons of failsafes and countermeasures to stop anyone from wanting to risk tinkering with it. I mean I'll be honest if the government or someone told me "We have a pretty good idea what we're doing and can get the headset off" and I was someone's guardian, I'd probably not let them try. Taking into account the people that had died by removing it, one wrong move and they're dead or I could hope for the game to end and them to be freed.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 02:31   Link #26
guenthar

The problem with that is that the way it kills is by using microwaves to fry a persons brain which means if there is no power then it can't kill. You could just use an electromagnetic pulse to disable it and prevent it from frying a persons brain.
Old 2012-07-10, 12:11   Link #27
lansglenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Or that the guy is truly a super genius and was able to make the devices with tons of failsafes and countermeasures to stop anyone from wanting to risk tinkering with it. I mean I'll be honest if the government or someone told me "We have a pretty good idea what we're doing and can get the headset off" and I was someone's guardian, I'd probably not let them try. Taking into account the people that had died by removing it, one wrong move and they're dead or I could hope for the game to end and them to be freed.
Maybe part of the 2000 deaths in the first months are a result of people tampering and trying to get the NervGear off.
Old 2012-07-10, 12:15   Link #28
lansglenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by guenthar View Post

I would love to see this realized. Imagine experiencing a life time inside the VR world -- falling in love, losing loved ones, marrying, struggling, growing friendships, making enemies. When it's all over, only a few hours passed by in real life and we get to explore what would people do and behave once they "awake", especially towards one another.
Old 2012-07-10, 13:05   Link #29
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansglenn View Post
I would love to see this realized. Imagine experiencing a life time inside the VR world -- falling in love, losing loved ones, marrying, struggling, growing friendships, making enemies. When it's all over, only a few hours passed by in real life and we get to explore what would people do and behave once they "awake", especially towards one another.
Accel World addressed that idea in a recent episode when KYH pointed out that if you stay accelerated for too long, you'll've forgotten basic details of your real life when you go back.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 13:17   Link #30
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
When it comes to the helmet it's not plausible that a bomb squad can't by pass the battery, remember we are talking about some commercially mass produced product here. There would be bill of materials lists, 3D CAD models of every nuts and bolts and the microwave mechanism. Given the situation they can easily order the contractors (probably Foxconn who makes everything under the sun these days) to cough up such data.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 16:38   Link #31
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
When it comes to the helmet it's not plausible that a bomb squad can't by pass the battery, remember we are talking about some commercially mass produced product here. There would be bill of materials lists, 3D CAD models of every nuts and bolts and the microwave mechanism. Given the situation they can easily order the contractors (probably Foxconn who makes everything under the sun these days) to cough up such data.
But you also have to take into consideration that there may be technological aspects at play that goes beyond reality's physics. Like how the Mirror item was able to accurately depict the chars as their real-life selves. I think you're basing this on real-life physics instead of whatever techniques/rules that exist in the anime's world, even though the anime itself seems normally modernized.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 18:24   Link #32
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
But you also have to take into consideration that there may be technological aspects at play that goes beyond reality's physics. Like how the Mirror item was able to accurately depict the chars as their real-life selves. I think you're basing this on real-life physics instead of whatever techniques/rules that exist in the anime's world, even though the anime itself seems normally modernized.
Also, people have a very skewed view of how bomb squads or EOD works in real life, as most of what they know comes from TV shows and movies.

The only 100% safe way of diffusing a bomb/mine/IED or whatever explosive devices, is to detonate them in place.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 21:01   Link #33
Hypernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Well, they got microwave based tech that can read your mind so the face part I can believe with no trouble. I'm talking about a situation where you have extensive knowledge of the system available. I would expect a panel of experts assembled Apollo 13 style gulping coffee somewhere.

And no I don't have any illusion on how EOD team work in real life, I don't watch CSI. Just speaking as an electronics engineer by trade.
Old 2012-07-10, 21:08   Link #34
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Well, they got microwave based tech that can read your mind so the face part I can believe with no trouble. I'm talking about a situation where you have extensive knowledge of the system available. I would expect a panel of experts assembled Apollo 13 style gulping coffee somewhere.

And no I don't have any illusion on how EOD team work in real life, I don't watch CSI. Just speaking as an electronics engineer by trade.
Yeah, I'm having a hard buying the fact anyone sensible would let that one guy have that much power over the tech regardless of how much of a genius he is. The situation in SAO is plausible, but not really realistic.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2012-07-10 at 21:46.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 21:34   Link #35
lordshadowisle

Quote:
I think the problem comes when trying to remove everyone's battery simultaneously. It's not going to be easy at all, assembling that much technical manpower.

Disarming it person by person wouldn't work, he'll just kill everyone else who is still connected to the system (once he gets wind of the scheme).
lordshadowisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 21:38   Link #36
Hypernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordshadowisle View Post
I think the problem comes when trying to remove everyone's battery simultaneously. It's not going to be easy at all, assembling that much technical manpower.

Disarming it person by person wouldn't work, he'll just kill everyone else who is still connected to the system (once he gets wind of the scheme).
True, given this is effectively a hostage situation.
Old 2012-07-10, 21:44   Link #37
Xacual

How would they remove the battery without setting off the alarms in the device? I mean Kayaba did design the things. Isn't it possible that he originally had a ton of safeguards / failsafes / other things in them that the people testing them had no idea about. So when they tested them every way possible they never found any potential problems but then installing SAO set off a change in the machine to turn off all of them, thus making them deadly? Well that's always what I assumed happened.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 22:09   Link #38
Hypernova

Quote:
How would they remove the battery without setting off the alarms in the device? I mean Kayaba did design the things. Isn't it possible that he originally had a ton of safeguards / failsafes / other things in them that the people testing them had no idea about. So when they tested them every way possible they never found any potential problems but then installing SAO set off a change in the machine to turn off all of them, thus making them deadly? Well that's always what I assumed happened.
Like I said before, for a mass produced items like the helmet there would be design files out of Kayaba's control and the rescuers would have access to them. Hence the only plausible booby traps would be in software assuming Kayaba did not submit any of the source codes to outsiders. Since usually large software projects have source management repositories (SVN and what not).

And when it comes to testing unless you know to test for something you don't really test for them. Especially when the dude changed things after the beta.
Old 2012-07-11, 14:35   Link #39
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Like I said before, for a mass produced items like the helmet there would be design files out of Kayaba's control and the rescuers would have access to them. Hence the only plausible booby traps would be in software assuming Kayaba did not submit any of the source codes to outsiders. Since usually large software projects have source management repositories (SVN and what not).

And when it comes to testing unless you know to test for something you don't really test for them. Especially when the dude changed things after the beta.
If you look at silicon valley these days, the founder of each tech company even in corporation form have a lot of power. The BoD usually just rubber stamp their decision. Kayaba is describe as a genius, i don't see too many people in a corporation (especially a corporation) 2nd guessing the Founder, Chairman, CEO and certificated Genius.
Old 2012-07-11, 22:17   Link #40
Hypernova

The first ep didn't say he was the founder, just the guy who invented the tech. SO I was thinking under the assumption that he was just a high level researcher.

Anyway, sometimes you just need to have a Willing Suspension of Disbelief. As an electronics design engineer by trade I nitpick SF a lot. But should one let that impede their enjoyment of the story? Not in the least. Debating what if's is fun and all but one needs to remember that they are all just plot contrivances to drive the story and move on when appropriate. At least they have to decency to try have some explanations. Much better compared to Muv-Luv which has swiss cheese level holes in its settings.