AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-03-24, 20:22   Link #1
marvelB

Terra Formars [Manga]

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=62348

So here's a series I found myself interested in for a while. In a nutshell, it's about various generations of astronauts struggling against a race of super-evolved killer cockroaches on Mars. The roach-men are so powerful that they force humanity to take some rather extreme measures in order to win against them..... like genetically modifying the bodies of said astronauts! Who will win in this deadly battle to preserve each others' race....?

Anyway, I've seen some folks who compared this to Gantz, but this series honestly reminds me more of Shingeki no Kyojin's take on the whole "humanity's near-hopeless battle against a superior race of creatures" schtick. The fourth volume hasn't been translated yet, but holy crap are those roaches deadly! I especially found it interesting how they even adapted to the whole gene-splicing thing that their human enemies created. That being said, I can't wait to see the leader of the Russian team (dude on the vol. 4 cover) get into action. Dude looks like a real beast (and hopefully, he'll actually survive against the roaches)......

Uh.... speaking of the roach-men, some folks might find their design to be a tad offensive at first glance since their faces may sorta kinda resemble the "blackface" stereotype. I kinda doubt that was the author's intent, though (we see other black human characters and they don't have those kind of faces). So I guess I'm just saying to not let your first impressions get the better of you and give this series a chance, yeah?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 02:24   Link #2
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

The face is supposed to resemble the back of a roach.
The long cheeks are wings, etc.
Old 2013-03-25, 17:18   Link #3
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

i just couldn't get over the pseudo science in this manga.
Old 2013-03-25, 17:24   Link #4
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

i thought there is this thread already. oh well

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 18:15   Link #5
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
i thought there is this thread already. oh well

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
This looks absolutely awesome, I thought it was a PV for an upcoming anime, but it's just promotes the 4th volume. What does CM stand for?

I read the prologue chapters quite a while ago and thought it was axed/discontinued after 8 chapters, kind of surprised to see a continuation. The 'ending' of the prologue kind of suggested that the cockroaches invaded earth.

Twenty years passed and Shokichi became an officier for the next project, but what happened to Ichirou, the other Japanese survivor?
Old 2013-03-25, 18:30   Link #6
bastek66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
What does CM stand for?
Commercial
bastek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 18:43   Link #7
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
The face is supposed to resemble the back of a roach.
The long cheeks are wings, etc.

Yeah, I guess I can make it out. Sadly, I doubt that will convince some folks to change their view of the bug-men's appearance.....

But putting that aside, funny coincidence that the translated volume 4 was released so soon after I made this thread.

Spoiler for V4:
Old 2013-03-25, 22:20   Link #8
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Cripes this series is so unrelentingly bleak. It's really hard to care for even the so-called main characters, as each of these missions seemingly have a 95% fatality late, or a flat Code Black.
Old 2013-04-06, 05:51   Link #9
runset

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Yeah, I guess I can make it out. Sadly, I doubt that will convince some folks to change their view of the bug-men's appearance.....

But putting that aside, funny coincidence that the translated volume 4 was released so soon after I made this thread.

Spoiler for V4:
Spoiler for read a couple of the raw scan, adolf is....:
runset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 23:11   Link #10
FKM
Do you like fishsticks?

Vol 5 will be out may 17

Old 2013-04-22, 13:44   Link #11
marvelB

^That's great to know! Shouldn't be too long of a wait until the translation comes out, in that case.
Old 2013-05-04, 06:38   Link #12
Xion Valkyrie

Hmmm, it seems like the raws are much further ahead? Saw a Spanish scanlated chapter from volume 6.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 08:01   Link #13
Hiei86

The newest raw chapter is chapter 47, the translations are still behind.

No rushing though.
Hiei86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 20:00   Link #14
nirvana12

The only problem I do have with this manga is that I start to get attached to characters than they all of a sudden die. And other characters that i think seem interesting than die. I get that theres suppose to be no hope but character deaths are more impact full to me when i know more about the characters.
nirvana12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 20:38   Link #15
Xion Valkyrie

Now that they know the roaches can steal their tech, are they going to prioritize the retrieval of bodies? Any body left behind would just end up being used by the roach to create more fearsome opponents.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 00:57   Link #16
hawkeyesvn
The old ace of Arlington

Sound like Starship Troopers !? Which bring me to the next question: If these bugs/cockroaches are so damn hard to defeat/subdue then why don't they just abandon/nuke the planet ? I mean it's just Mars. If this is some planet with water like Kepler 62e/f then it could be worth but Mars ?
Old 2013-05-07, 01:19   Link #17
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyesvn View Post
Sound like Starship Troopers !? Which bring me to the next question: If these bugs/cockroaches are so damn hard to defeat/subdue then why don't they just abandon/nuke the planet ? I mean it's just Mars. If this is some planet with water like Kepler 62e/f then it could be worth but Mars ?
They've already explained that if extermination was the mission, they could simply do exactly that.
But their objectives is not extermination, it's to capture samples to find the cure for the virus.

Also, in the most recent chapters it's confirmed there are other influences on Earth who have a very different agenda.
Spoiler:
Old 2013-05-07, 09:39   Link #18
Yorae_paladin1

Traitors true the roaches are too unnatural to be evolved by nature. something tells me genetic manipulation is at work here. and that the Russian leader guy mentions someone that could be behind them
"I do not hate you. I do not think your a monster just another species trying to live like us humans. If there is a monster in this world its nature itself for wanting and allowing spectacles of death and destruction."

Neo Human Angelus Von Doom to Abyssal Riful before there battle. My fic saga revelations of the past title Advent Rising
Yorae_paladin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 00:04   Link #19
backbone
Banned

GODDAMMIT NOOO!!! Why the hell does this ALWAYS happen?!!

Why is it that Humans who supposedly possess superior intelligence but in the end roaches always have the upper hand?!! And now it seems they can even 'scheme', yeah 'scheme' things not just 'plan'.

Godammit!! I'm so enraged right now. They haven't even landed and already suffered many casualties AND those Drugs got destroyed too?! What the hell?!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorae_paladin1 View Post
Traitors true the roaches are too unnatural to be evolved by nature. something tells me genetic manipulation is at work here. and that the Russian leader guy mentions someone that could be behind them
Yeah, i think those roaches are led by some human. To have a couple of them unnoticed for the whole travel till they almost reached the Mars to just come out then to totally wreck havoc is waaaaaayyy to suspicious. Someone probably had their hands in with making sure that this project will fail.
backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 12:45   Link #20
marvelB

Heads up, guys: Volume 5's been translated! I'm off to check it out, now!

Tags
action, despair