AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-22, 05:13   Link #261
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
On a side note, what do the anti-Taichi faction thinks of Hikaru (Hikaru no Go)? Because frankly, I saw Hikaru do much worse stuff to a friend (Sai/Akari) then anything Taichi ever did and yet I never see the hate toward Hikaru. To me, both Hikaru and Taichi is realistic, compare to idealistic characters.
You know there's hate and then there's character assassination, Hikaru was doing just fine until that episode where all the color drained from my face. I can say Hikaru is never going to recover from that or prove why he earned the main character status in the first place, you could debate that anybody could have made the same mistake Hikaru did since it was horrible hindsight, still it was a very bad choice, while Taichi is still just your regular dislikeable guy.
Old 2013-01-22, 11:52   Link #262
Cytrus
Unchangingly Hopeless

I only read the manga, but what awful stuff did Hikaru do? I was never really attached to any of the characters in that series, but I don't recall anything that could be called 'character assassination'.
Cytrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 12:20   Link #263
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
while Taichi is still just your regular dislikeable guy.
He was dislikeable when he was a kid. Now he's becoming a pretty awesome dude.
Old 2013-01-22, 12:36   Link #264
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
On a side note, what do the anti-Taichi faction thinks of Hikaru (Hikaru no Go)? Because frankly, I saw Hikaru do much worse stuff to a friend (Sai/Akari) then anything Taichi ever did and yet I never see the hate toward Hikaru. To me, both Hikaru and Taichi is realistic, compare to idealistic characters.
I think Hikaru no Go is a better 'card/board game sport' anime since it focuses more of the sport of it than the social interactions where Chihayafuru is the opposite.

But oh man, Hikaru, I compare him more to Chihaya actually. Obsessed about a game and only sees it and nothing else. At least Chihaya has friends.

Hikaru's only friend throughout the whole series was only Sai. Even his rivals and other Go players were acquittances at best. He never hang out with them outside of Go, and abandoned his high school and childhood female friend and ect.

I get depressed when I think about Hikaru's character nowadays.

I feel Taichi is more realistic. He was kind of a jerk, but he was a kid, so its a bit more forgiveable.
Right now, he's just trying to pursue his own goals, but he's not very considerate and is willing to step over people to do it. Its good that he has a drive now, but it kind of sucks how he handles outsiders.
Old 2013-01-22, 12:46   Link #265
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
but he's not very considerate and is willing to step over people to do it.
That's misleading. Ignoring the newbies doesn't mean stepping on them. You could say he's a bit selfish but the other members (except Chihaya) agreed with him, as they know they don't have much time to prepare for the next tournament. I think the best course of action should be a compromise, as Chihaya's way isn't any better.
Old 2013-01-22, 12:56   Link #266
HandofFate

Not even that. Similar to Chihaya and seeing just Kurata, Taich is seeing just Chihaya, and by extension Kurata because it connects to her. I guess he's getting more drive into the kurata game itself, but right now I feel he's just in it for Chihaya.

Things like when he broke up with his gf on the phone instantly. Yea, it would have been wrong to lead the gf on when he clearly rather be with Chihaya, but he just didn't care at all about that girl or her feelings. If it doesn't have anything to do with Chihaya, you might as well be furniture to him.

Maybe he got that personality from his mother.
Old 2013-01-22, 13:07   Link #267
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Not even that. Similar to Chihaya and seeing just Kurata, Taich is seeing just Chihaya, and by extension Kurata because it connects to her. I guess he's getting more drive into the kurata game itself, but right now I feel he's just in it for Chihaya.
But this isn't true. We know this because it has been stated many times.

Taichi's parents have always told him that he shouldn't waste his time competing if he wasn't sure he could win. So Karuta is his way to rebel from that philosophy, to grow out from what her mother imposed on him. That's why he plays, not for Chihaya. Of course, he would be really happy if Chihaya acknowledged his efforts, but that's not his ultimate goal. His goal is to become his own person, someone who isn't influenced by his parents.
Old 2013-01-22, 13:36   Link #268
kitten320

Well that's the goal that developed over time, originally it was for Chihaya.
Old 2013-01-22, 13:39   Link #269
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Well that's the goal that developed over time, originally it was for Chihaya.
I don't agree, but even if you're right, it's the current character what matters.
Old 2013-01-22, 15:41   Link #270
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Why does Taichi love Chihaya?

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 15:56   Link #271
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I'm sure even he wonders, sometimes... (Remember that special bit where the guys compared notes on which girl they wanted to date?)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 16:22   Link #272
mirahh

I don't believe you need a "reason" to love someone; you just do. At least, that has always been my experience.
mirahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 16:35   Link #273
Kazu-kun

^ I agree. Although I know anything love-related is very subjective, I think that looking for "reasons" is a futile attempt to rationalize something that isn't meant to be rationalized in the first place.
Old 2013-01-22, 17:28   Link #274
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I don't recall seeing such disdain for Taichi when we were discussing the first season? Was I just oblivious, or is this a new phenomenon?

I'll be especially disappointed if Kana-chan doesn't end up with a nice boy by the end of the season. Porky is an obvious contender, but she'd be happier with a more romantic and literary-minded choice. Plus he has to look good in a kimono.

Kanade was my favorite character in season one; I hope she gets some serious screen time this season as well.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 18:19   Link #275
kitten320

I guess you were oblivious. People loved to pick on him.
Old 2013-01-22, 18:20   Link #276
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I don't recall seeing such disdain for Taichi when we were discussing the first season? Was I just oblivious, or is this a new phenomenon?

I'll be especially disappointed if Kana-chan doesn't end up with a nice boy by the end of the season. Porky is an obvious contender, but she'd be happier with a more romantic and literary-minded choice. Plus he has to look good in a kimono.
It's not new. The same users expressed their dislike of Taichi during the first season, if I remember correctly. Nothing surprising about it. Almost no character can be unanimously liked, Taichi is obviously no exception.

I think you mixed up Desk-kun and Porky, unless I missed something.
Old 2013-01-22, 19:49   Link #277
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's not new. The same users expressed their dislike of Taichi during the first season, if I remember correctly. Nothing surprising about it. Almost no character can be unanimously liked, Taichi is obviously no exception.
I don't usually don't pay much attention to issues like that, so I'm sure I just missed it.

Quote:
Yes, that's whom I meant. I don't recall seeing much of him in episode two.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 01:16   Link #278
fukarming

Crontica: I don't know which event you refer to Hikaru as "character assassination" as he did plenty of bad things . To me he did two things that I don't forgive, ditching his friends in highschool completely for his personal goal, and only thinking about himself when Sai wants to play, just because "letting Sai plays would potentially get him in trouble". If I had best friends like this who needs an enemy. Compare to Hikaru, Taichi is a saint.

I agree that Taichi is a brat when he is a kid. But if you hate him for what he did as a kid, I can also say I hate Arata for what he did when Chihaya and Taichi visit him (which is quite dick-ish)

Taichi had always like Chihaya since elementary. After 3 years they met again in highschool he realized that he had always love her. That is my take of it. He probably likes Chihaya since she is so straight forward and single minded, which is completely different from himself. I guess opposite attract.

While I agree no character can be unanimously liked, Taichi get more dislike compare to many other characters, which perk my interest.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 04:12   Link #279
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
That was said in the show, as well.
Just because I understood the writer/mangaka's intent, doesn't mean I have to find it believable, especially when there are more things showing otherwise. I can't be bothered going over this again, as I had already explained my case in the season 1 thread.
Anyway, Sumire is the latest proof of people not finding Sumire's goal of "finding love" to be believable, so really, it can just be chalked up as the mangaka isn't always that good at presenting certain ideas.
I think there is a difference between the two of them with one of them being intentional the other isn't. Sumire's desire for love is superficial and I think ujiuji's post best described her situation.
The problem with the other situation is that the mangaka never really focused on Taichi/Arata's friendship, so I find it understandable that people don't find it believable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
Anyway, I don't want to argue about him anymore, the less I think of his actions, the better opinion I'll have of him.
Fair enough, that part of the post was a joke at your expense which I hope you would take in stride so I had no intention to argue about the issue. Having said that I do suggest for the next time if you claim you don't want to argue any more than don't make any arguments in your post about the issue. This gives a conflicting impression whether you want to continue arguing or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The hate started early on during the flashback arc. A lot of haters moved on, some became fans when Taichi got development others however got stuck and still hate him.
A part of the hate also stems from shipping of course, shipping does tend to generate a lot of hatred towards other love interests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I do get the feeling Nishida has a crush on Kana as well but Tsutomu will probably be the one (it's the height really).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
You know there's hate and then there's character assassination, Hikaru was doing just fine until that episode where all the color drained from my face.
Could you refresh my memory on what happened, it's been a while since I've seen HnG.

Last edited by Blaat; 2013-01-23 at 05:35.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 09:40   Link #280
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
^ I agree. Although I know anything love-related is very subjective, I think that looking for "reasons" is a futile attempt to rationalize something that isn't meant to be rationalized in the first place.
Hmm? Why is it ok for Taichi to have a whole set of personal reasons for playing karuta, but none for loving Chihaya? Wouldn't it be more likely she's mixed up in the same reasons? Anyway, in real life, we talk about reasons for attraction all the time: "he's hot!" "she's smart!" "he's popular!" "she's got a great job!" None of that comes into love?

But rather than argue about love in general, let's focus on the anime instead. Take the scene in episode 23, around the 6:00 mark, where Chihaya pulls Taichi out of the locker, to take him back to watch the nationals, where Taichi famously thinks to himself: "Yeah, I'm hopeless / hopelessly in love." Why does he say this? What about the moment prompts him to this realization?

Looking at that scene, I can see why fukarming says "He probably likes Chihaya since she is so straight forward and single minded, which is completely different from himself. I guess opposite attract." Chihaya shows here a passionate intensity that is quite beautiful, an unselfconscious and instinctual dedication that is very different from Taichi's own analytical not to mention frequently conflicted way of thinking.

On the other hand, I am really taken by ujiuji's point that Sumire loves a Taichi she barely knows. I think this is true of Taichi as well: he has been friends with Chihaya for many years, but he doesn't really get her. In these first two episodes of the new season, we don't see him entering at all into her point of view about the club, neither in her goals for the club, nor in her concerns about bringing the new members into the club. As much as everyone, he is surprised by her explanation about the responsibility she feels for collapsing at the nationals.

If Taichi resembles Sumire in this instance--and I think that is why Sumire is in the anime, to be a foil that helps us understand Taichi better--then Taichi's love for Chihaya is the expression of his own character and personality. Like Sumire, who loves for the sake of love, Taichi loves for the sake of dedication, for the constancy in purpose despite disappointment and lack of reciprocation. Taichi's love is the expression of his own beautiful soul. Chihaya herself is incidental to his pure, unrequited devotion.

The proof of this point is that many viewers and posters on this forum have a much higher regard for and interest in Taichi than they do in Chihaya. QED.

--------

Coincidentally, I just came across a book by Ivan Morris, called The Nobility of Failure: Tragic Heroes in the History of Japan. Morris makes the point that the Japanese find heroism in the dedication that does not waver even in the face of failure. As one reviewer on Amazon puts it, "[i]n contrast to the Western ideal, the Japanese do not seem to require their heroes to 'win' or 'succeed.'" The applicability of this cultural concept to Sumire and Taichi seems straightforward.

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter

Last edited by hyperborealis; 2013-01-23 at 11:28.
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cards, josei, karuta, sports