AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-08-16, 21:20   Link #1
Jetzero Infinity

Pokemon: The Origin (TV Special)

Premiering October 2 on TV Tokyo

Seems this isn't quite an adaption of the Pokemon Special manga but its interesting their rebooting the anime in a sense. I'm curious how long this'll go for and how much closer to the games it'll be
Jetzero Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 21:30   Link #2
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Well clearly that isn't Ash/Satoshi, so we know right off the bat this is a different interpretation of the series. What I find interesting is the main series is still continuing with its new season for the upcoming games.

So I see this either as a special loosely based on the manga (for whatever reason they decided to make it...) or a new series that's perhaps a bit less commercial and repetitive and actually tries to get some plot in place. Honestly, if it's the latter I will watch the hell out of it, but maybe I'm just being overly optimistic. I think if they made a legitimate effort to use the game worlds with an overarching plot and took themselves a bit more seriously than the original series, it would be freakin epic.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 21:39   Link #3
ChampDream
Alive

its based on the games, not the manga
Old 2013-08-16, 22:03   Link #4
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
I wonder if this series is going to be alittle bit dark like the Manga and the original plan.
Old 2013-08-16, 22:03   Link #5
sayde

I had my own numerous reasons for ceasing to watch the anime so many years ago. And because its turned into such a long running series, I never developed the willpower to jump back into it and give it another chance. But a reboot of the series featuring a new main protagonist sounds like just the thing to get me watching Pokemon again at the age of 26.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 22:14   Link #6
ChampDream
Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
I wonder if this series is going to be alittle bit dark like the Manga and the original plan.
I say between the manga and the current anime, since it seem they want to show the 1st gen to the younger audience.
Old 2013-08-16, 22:27   Link #7
Articalys

Official trailer:

Articalys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 22:40   Link #8
Shadow5YA

Red and Blue's designs are slightly different from the games (different hairstyle for Red, different color shirt for Blue), but it's clear they're trying to directly adapt the first generation Pokémon games into an anime this time.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 22:41   Link #9
sayde

So would I be correct in assuming this particular protagonist lets his first and main pokemon actually evolve? Wow...if this guy doesn't end up cutting him loose shortly thereafter, I'll already like him way more than Ash. Thanks for posting that video Articalys.
Old 2013-08-16, 22:47   Link #10
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Wow, that brings back so much memories

Will be watching this. Yay for Charmander line!
Old 2013-08-17, 00:41   Link #11
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

It's a special, not a series. You can all go back to your homes now.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 00:53   Link #12
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Dropped..... Lols...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 01:15   Link #13
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 02:41   Link #14
Sage Shinigami

Send a message via AIM to Sage Shinigami Send a message via Yahoo to Sage Shinigami
Like every other special if it gets enough support there's a good chance it'll become a series. So let's all hope Japan shows this the love it deserves.

If they did a series I'd want a pretty direct adaptation of the manga, though.
Sage Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 06:12   Link #15
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Darn it,here I was getting my hopes up, oh well I'll still watch it for nostalgia's sake.
Old 2013-08-17, 06:55   Link #16
Kakkou
Tch.

I don't care if it's a special. The nostalgia factor will more than make up for it. Plus it's not a six minute trailer like the B&W PV (which I would love to see an actual anime of with dat voice cast) and forever ageless Ash/Satoshi isn't the protagonist, that alone is worth it.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 11:38   Link #17
Jun pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Red and Blue's designs are slightly different from the games (different hairstyle for Red, different color shirt for Blue), but it's clear they're trying to directly adapt the first generation Pokémon games into an anime this time.
I think the designs of Red and Green are based of FireRed and LeafGreen?
Not sure since I never bought these two (though I wanna change that lol).

I'm hoping that the special will get so popular that they decide to make a whole series.
I loved Pokemon when I was still small, but after Orange Islands (not sure about the English name for that season sorry) I dropped it.
Not that I dislike Ash/Satoshi, but I think they could've done things better (like aging, not always make him free his Pokemon just because they got kinda badass etc).

Since I don't really like the manga of Pokemon (chibi-like artstyle threw me off so I stopped reading) I would rather have a direct adaption of the games alone. Though I wouldn't mind a bit violence (since, lets be honest, there're more or less bigass monsters fighting each others lol).
Jun pls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 12:36   Link #18
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun pls View Post
I'm hoping that the special will get so popular that they decide to make a whole series.
I loved Pokemon when I was still small, but after Orange Islands (not sure about the English name for that season sorry) I dropped it.
Not that I dislike Ash/Satoshi, but I think they could've done things better (like aging, not always make him free his Pokemon just because they got kinda badass etc).
Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I stopped watching Pokemon at around the same time. And while I never placed much importance in seeing Ash grow up, a big part of why I ended up disliking his character was precisely because he had a habit of letting his Pokemon go--as you said (and after they reached the final stage of evolution no less). I mean the whole catch phrase for the series was "gotta catch 'em all!", and here the main character is letting 'em all go. But in hindsight, I suppose this just contributed to a more broad problem I had with the series in general--it lacked a sense of progression. I don't know if Pokemon is considered a shonen or not, but Ash just doesn't provide the kinds of qualities I look for in a shonen protagonist. Granted I haven't watched Pokemon in many years, so I don't know if the problems got rectified since then, but at the time I watched it, Ash lost a lot. And since he let a lot of his more powerful Pokemon go, it started to feel like he would constantly take one step forward and two steps back. Add this to the fact that he would constantly encounter powerful new Pokemon and make no effort whatsoever to catch them is what I guess ultimately turned me off to the anime.

It was like watching someone play the game all wrong. It became vexing.
Old 2013-08-17, 14:13   Link #19
ChampDream
Alive

Quote:
its still better then the current anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun pls View Post
Since I don't really like the manga of Pokemon (chibi-like artstyle threw me off so I stopped reading) I would rather have a direct adaption of the games alone. Though I wouldn't mind a bit violence (since, lets be honest, there're more or less bigass monsters fighting each others lol).
they change the chibi-like artstyle after the crystal arc.
Old 2013-08-17, 14:52   Link #20
Jun pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampDream View Post
its still better then the current anime

they change the chibi-like artstyle after the crystal arc.
Is that so? Do I need to read the stuff before that to get what's going on? (since I dunno if Special has a real plot or something) and do you know which chapter that is, at least an about-number? Sorry to bother you with this

I'm getting more and more hyped the more I see about Origin on tumblr. I have my expectations pretty high though I guess that might be a bad thing...
Jun pls is offline   Reply With Quote