AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2008-07-26, 05:15   Link #421
kagato3

Well the Kishin was very weak from being released, in fact it seems that team Medusa may have been planning to kill him themselves acourding to a comment made by Ms. Frog, as it stands I think Death sr and the Kishin were basicly at the same level power wise and I don't think that alone either one would be able to beat the other. The Kishin's main advantage was that Death sr is stuck in the city all he had to do was get far enuff away and he was safe. I'm also not quite sure the Death we saw was his true body or even that he has one anymore.

You know i'm starting to wonder what Medusa's goal realy is. Chrona steals the souls ment to give power to the Kishin from the Duchman. Ms Frog comments to Free that Medusa plans on killing the weaked Kishin while they are going to free it.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-26, 07:55   Link #422
lmd_84

I think Medusa's original goal was to release Kishin Asura and deal with the ensuing chaos in some way or another that would benefit her, possibly by continuing her experiments on Chrona to have her own little Kishin under her control. Chrona/Ragnarok were definitely connected to the Kishin resurrection plan initially, but the tables have since turned.

Maka and Soul have been affected by the black blood - and Medusa's reaction to that, turning it to her advantage demonstrated her ability to adapt. Similarly, BJ's arrival on the scene produced a new threat which Medusa most likely had something to do with eliminating. I think the theory's been around for some time that Maka's the one who will develop the advanced soul perception ability, meaning she's even more at threat from Medusa.

Clearly, Medusa's had to change her plans thanks to having her body destroyed by Stein and DS. The period before she possessed that poor little girl obviously gave her the time to regroup, strengthen and above all plan.

I think although getting 'killed' down in the bottom of Shibusen throw the Gorgon for a bit, Medusa's clearly got some new/altered goal in mind. Otherwise, she wouldn't be dealing so directly and confidently with Arachne and Shinigami, both of whom have good reason to kill her. It seems she's playing them both to her own advantage. But why...I'm not sure at the moment. I hope we'll find out more in the coming chapters.
lmd_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-26, 16:39   Link #423
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmd_84 View Post
I think it's another of the points brought up in episode 5 - when comparing Stein to his ex-wife, Spirit says that Franken is even more powerful than her, who was the one who made him who he is (i.e a Death Scythe, though I'm paraphrasing from my memory of subs).

What I was referring to with Shinigami and DS is that we don't know how he chooses who to accept as his personal Weapon. For the time being - given the lack of canon info - I think relative strength and personality has something to do with it. It would make sense that Shinigami needs someone strong enough to do the job, but who he can also work with as a person rather than just a weapon. That said, so far the only common ground he seems to have with his Scythe is a likening for pretty ladies... Oh, that and fatherhood.
One of the things I enjoy about Shinigami and Spirit as characters is that they're supposedly powerful people who spend most of the time acting like anything but. They deserve one another, seriously...
You've forgotten two important factors: soul compatibility (which isn't the same as getting along, as shown by BS and SE) and Shinigami's proficiency with the weapon in question.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-27, 05:13   Link #424
lmd_84

Duly noted. Knew I'd forget something.
Old 2008-07-27, 17:28   Link #425
KousaCross
Break the Glass World

Send a message via MSN to KousaCross
I really hope we'll get to see Shinigami actually wielding DS soon o.o
KousaCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 00:27   Link #426
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Read 51 at last. I must say, Harvar and Ox are both very cool, though in different ways.
Old 2008-07-28, 01:54   Link #427
lmd_84

Quote:
Originally Posted by KousaCross View Post
I really hope we'll get to see Shinigami actually wielding DS soon o.o
We're currently in the middle of one arc, with no suggestion that it's ending any time soon (numerous groups heading off in different directions, likelihood of a new fight kicking off next chapter).

Even if a direct threat to Death City turns up in the next few chapters, I reckon Shinigami's going to stay in the background, away from the action, until it's absolutely necessary for him to intervene. I think it's pretty inevitable we will see Shinigami and Death Scythe eventually, but not for a while yet.
Old 2008-07-28, 01:59   Link #428
KousaCross
Break the Glass World

Quote:
We're currently in the middle of one arc, with no suggestion that it's ending any time soon (numerous groups heading off in different directions, likelihood of a new fight kicking off next chapter).

Even if a direct threat to Death City turns up in the next few chapters, I reckon Shinigami's going to stay in the background, away from the action, until it's absolutely necessary for him to intervene. I think it's pretty inevitable we will see Shinigami and Death Scythe eventually, but not for a while yet.
Understandable, but it still makes me a little sad. ;.; I wonder what he looks like under that mask, too.

I'd also like to see more background on Death the Kid. So far all that's really been explained is how he met Liz and Patty. At least that's all I remember despite it being a very short time since I read all the manga o.o
Old 2008-07-28, 20:08   Link #429
acrana

Quote:
Originally Posted by KousaCross View Post
Understandable, but it still makes me a little sad. ;.; I wonder what he looks like under that mask, too.

I'd also like to see more background on Death the Kid. So far all that's really been explained is how he met Liz and Patty. At least that's all I remember despite it being a very short time since I read all the manga o.o
Remember Liz and Patty tried holding him up for cash, and later they were being beaten up by thugs and Kid came to save them.
acrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 20:09   Link #430
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrana View Post
Remember Liz and Patty tried holding him up for cash, and later they were being beaten up by thugs and Kid came to save them.
The second part is anime filler.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 18:09   Link #431
v1cious

i don't know if it's been discussed already, but does anyone find it interesting that Asura looks like Death the Kidd? there has to be something to that, right?
v1cious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 19:13   Link #432
KousaCross
Break the Glass World

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1cious View Post
i don't know if it's been discussed already, but does anyone find it interesting that Asura looks like Death the Kidd? there has to be something to that, right?
I noticed that too, but I can't tell if similar hair means anything or not. The pattern of the lighter parts in Asura's hair seems to be an imitation of that eye in his forehead. I don't know about a connection between Kid and Asura. They might both just have unique hair, or maybe Asura's his uncle. o.O
Old 2008-07-30, 00:38   Link #433
ellifeedn
Thinker

Maybe Asura is Kidd's real father and we could have a "join me and the Dark side" moment between the two.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-30, 03:45   Link #434
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Asura's Kidd's mother!

Or maybe Shinigami's actually Kidd's mother.
Old 2008-07-30, 09:55   Link #435
lmd_84

Kid would never join with Asura, he'd probably sooner die than embrace that sort of chaos. That said, as I've probably said elsewhere, the idea of the little death god going dark-side on us is rather entertaining...
Old 2008-07-30, 16:39   Link #436
KousaCross
Break the Glass World

It would be kinda cool if Kid went all evil. x3 I'd love too see him have one of those psycho dark scary moments.
Old 2008-07-30, 17:11   Link #437
HiroInazuma
Boss of Ecchi Yazuka

Quote:
Kid would never join with Asura, he'd probably sooner die than embrace that sort of chaos. That said, as I've probably said elsewhere, the idea of the little death god going dark-side on us is rather entertaining...
Of course Kidd would join Asura, Asura is perfectly symmetrical
HiroInazuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-31, 11:38   Link #438
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Asura does look like Kidd, I noticed that when he finally appeared. Id love to think Asura is somehow related but he referred to Shinigami-sama as "Sensei" in the manga (assuming decent translation) Now I know relatives can do that but I figured it Asura was completely related to Shinigam-sama, he'd have used a different term. But he and Shinigami-sama are connected whether it be related or just Sensei/Student.

It was brought up on Random Curiousity (I think) that is Shinigami-sama just a tech in a mask? Since Kid wore the same mask at the beginning of epi 15 cuz when I saw that part in the manga I was like...WHOA! We already know he needs a weapon to defeat Asura and we know Shinigami-sama has changed his mask since starting Shibusen, so...since Kid is well...human-like yet a death-god. Is SS (this is my abbrev for Shinigami-sama now) the same? We talked about humans and weapons breeding but can death gods? Or was Kid created some other way? How does one breed a god? I dont think SS is human looking or atleast totally human looking, but since he's SS he could be anything.

I should really be in the speculations thread for this...also if anyone does actually know what SS is (since Ive seen spoilers but not clicked them) since this is the manga thread you can discuss it but dear gawd, plz label them so I (or others) dont accidently spoil ourselves.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-31, 12:07   Link #439
lmd_84

The thing about SS being just a Tech in a mask is that he and Kid appear physiologically different to the other characters, rather than simply stronger than they are.

The most obvious example of this how Kid talks to his father in his prologue chapter, and summons his skateboard on numerous occasions. His body is also immune to sunburn and rejects things like hair-dye. For his part, Shinigami's design is radically different to that of any other character, appearing briefly during the Asura fight to have no depth to him whatsoever. He also fights without a Weapon in a way that no-one else had, and only Kid - through his own little skull-ish shadows - appears to have the potential to.

The way Stein describes Kid during the fight with BS and Soul also makes it sound as though he is significantly different to the other students in more than just power; the look of his soul also supports this, for the 'skull' theme for Kid and his father seems to be more than just decorative.

Nowhere in the manga have we (yet) seen one of the human characters display similar abilities as Shinigami and Kid. On the contrary, I think that considering the aspects mentioned above there is more evidence to suggest that they are not human, merely appearing that way to some extent.

However, the absence of much information that this father-and-son pair of gods are human doesn't entirely dismiss the possibility; after all, there is much that the author has yet to reveal about the SE universe and its characters.
Old 2008-07-31, 13:26   Link #440
HiroInazuma
Boss of Ecchi Yazuka

It could be that Shinigami is actually in another dimension so he uses that skull thing as an embodiment of his actual soul, since his soul is chained to the thing but that might be the hardest thing to explain

Maybe SS really is human but that cloak hides him in another world (yes I am obsessed with this another dimension theory) I mean if Kidd can make a skateboard come out of his hands then this is just as logical, Shinigami could control the cloak to use as a shell for his own soul. Could be his actual human body was seperated from his soul a long time ago.
HiroInazuma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen