AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2008-03-26, 00:06   Link #21
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

@Enara: nice idea. I have not seen firefly yet although it is on my list and that character description might bump it up a few slots. I like the involuntary telepathy idea. It would be nice to read peoples minds sometimes, but what if you could not turn it off? If some characters in hell88's story were not actively in control of their powers it might get very interesting. For instance, how would they know which thoughts were theirs and which thoughts were other peoples? So if someone wanted to kill them, they would sense it and reflect the emotions back and have the desire to kill others, or at least the same adrenaline rush. Sort of like their mind is opened to suggestions from the thoughts of those around them.

That would be nuts. Especially coupled with other abilities where by thinking things can make them happen. I do not know if any of you have seen the Jet Li movie UNLEASHED, but brining part of the control leash concept in might be fun as well. The test subjects used for combat might have been conditioned like Pavlov's dog to do certain things only when given then the proper stimulus (leash, drugs, verbal commands, etc). You could get some freaky MKULTRA like experiments going on. The CIA did those tests on people who did not know they were being tested back in the 60's. That would be freaky because stuff like that really happened. Then, Like Tetsuo in Akira, they might just lose control over the power they created. Jason Borne type reactions ensue when things go bad, but with supernatural consequences.

@derelict88: !!!! !!!!

Well, you might not be good at hot linking but man can you draw . Your subtle changes in line weights really show off the form and make the entire picture fascinating. I cannot stop staring. Superb. I love the bird design on the arm guards of the blacksmith looking character. One major thing that differentiates steam punk world design and cyber punk world design for me is the aesthetic beauty, like coats of arms and intricate designs on the various machines where cyberpunk is darker, more worn down, and dystopian; like a computer pulled apart to expose its insides. Steam punk seems more crisp and clean, showing off a civilization getting into its prime not rotting away from the inside under the weight of technology.

The armor of the spear holding guy really has a unique feel, especially around his hips and waist. I like things with buttons. I really like the armored gloves and shoulder pad as well. Your style reminds me a lot of Joe Madureira's, [how I wish he would have finished Battle Chasers...] especially the pose along with how you rendered the jaw and heavy musculature of the guy with the hammer. I'm sure you get plenty of compliments on your work but more can't hurt right? The guy with the hammer could fix your ship, but you would not want to get in his way.

Last edited by chibamonster; 2008-03-26 at 00:19.
chibamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 01:14   Link #22
derelict88
Huh! Made ya read!! :D

chibamonster
Thanks mate. I am glad you like it. For a person that break it down and than going into detail of the piece does give me the vibe that you know what to look at which makes it all the more meaningful when you compliment it. Cheers.

Yup, I like Mad's work. Infact I did change some of signature strokes to mimic his. The only problem I have with his work is his females... they seem 'unusual' its like they dont appeal to me as much as his alpha male counterpart. That is where the similarity ends. From there I found another way to expose my lithe males as oppose to the alpha males of Mads drawing. Well all those are factored in and out just to come out with an original I guess...

Story and scope.
Now the style have been introduce (until someone say otherwise or a better deal comes a knockin) lets move on to the arc, gist and settings.

I guess the setting is still a toss up atm. I for one am banking on the steampunk reality. Not that I have any problem with futurist setting like cyber. It just that its not fantasy... if you know what I mean.

Well, my take is that it will be nice to bring back romance into comic (manga) I like the battle with sword because it a lot more romantic. Scaling from tower to tower, from ship to dock, from nite till dawn slashing their way to outwit each other. Only to find out midway that they are fighting the wrong opponent. Where as with guns. Piang! you dead.

Machine are created big in this steampunk. They are huge contraptions that are worked by a huge guild. Dont dwell to much in the politics... they are more like dressings on a stage where the heroes and heroines do their play.

the main hero is actually the world, which means the character is set on different stage for every arc. So on and so forth...

Well let me know what cha think before I ramble on.

Cheers
derelict88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 02:19   Link #23
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

Cyberpunk is usually social and philosophical commentary based as it characterizes pieces of society now to show problems in a unique way. Ghost in the shell is a great example of this especially in stand alone complex where some very real current issues of japan were addressed; citizenship, refugees, aging population with a low birthrate, corporate competition, child labor, political turmoil in the parties, etc. And then on another level with cyberpunk there is the burning question; are humans just machines? I personally love the genre [BLADE RUNNER] because it makes me think so much.

With a fantasy world you get taken into a very unique experience that cyberpunk or sci-fi does not usually offer. Instead of being taken into the human psyche or a dystopian version of our own world where things have gone wrong we are transported to a truly amazing place where things we can only imagine are common place. It is like going on a hike as opposed to going shopping at the mall. I think some of studio Ghibli's stuff does this incredibly well with the focus being on the experience of being in the world more than the explanation of why it is the way it is. I am happy to develop this steam punk story until another idea comes along or people decide against it .

Hmm, Romance in manga. I am imagining that they do have large weapons, like cannons or catapults or balistas but they are slow loading, cumbersome, and most useful in ship to ship or machine to machine battles. Sort of like siege warfare. I just watched Ben Hurr this last weekend and am thinking of the sea battles where they were launching fire balls towards each other while ramming their ships and then invading with swords and shields on the decks. As opposed to having slaves row the steam punk machines, I am thinking they are shoveling coal and working the boilers. Got to love the boiler rooms.

For the big machines I am imagining taking traditional architecture; for instance with a chinese influence we could use the forbidden city along with its incredible gargoyles and then cross it with a giant boat, airship, or train. I am imagining something the size of the entire forbidden city moving along either in the air or on the sea. Then, splash in some mythology, like the chinese dragon for various smaller devices like smaller warships and so on.

I agree that the politics of the conflict should have little to do with the characters I want to interact on a smaller and more personalized stage. Kings and Emperors should remain on their thrones as most people, even high ranking ones involved in the war, would never meet them. I do not want to see characters single handedly turning the tide of battles with their skills. Instead the conflict should be so big that only the pieces that touch the characters are even comprehensible. If there is a guild I am imagining it being operated out of a giant floating pyramid, Egyptian style with Pharaoh and all. And this might just be years of final fantasy fandom talking, but there have to be airships and maybe levitating islands etc.

As I am actually planning on putting this together I think a shorter arc in a fantastic world would be great and much easier than a long term serialization. Even a long one shot would do the trick for me.
Old 2008-03-26, 02:29   Link #24
derelict88

Ala Graphic Novel you mean or a mini series? Sound feasible mate. Than its going to be tight as in the development and build up. Cant really tell much of a story in a graphic novel unless its doing an establish brand like batman. While Mini series will be in line with say... Long Shot.
Old 2008-03-26, 03:26   Link #25
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

At the moment I am thinking something relatively short, but definitely not short like American Comic's 22 pages. It depends on what kind of story we come up with. I figure we could give it a little while and see what ideas we come up with to get a handle on it. As this thread actually is getting much more interesting than I originally thought it would I am excited to see what everyone comes up with.
Old 2008-03-26, 04:28   Link #26
derelict88

Agreed. Cant wait for the usual suspect to come up with leads that we could apply. Lol.

In any case might I suggest creating a cut off date as to having a sort of timeline for this venture? U must understand I can only be available in the weekends. Working bloke here.

Cheers.
Old 2008-03-26, 19:11   Link #27
Enara
Riful #1 fan + Browncoat

I read the wiki. page on steampunk and it sound's like fun. derelict88 nice drawing! I had a Idea for a manga a wile back I don't know it will fit. someone goes to diffrent world's and save's that world. then we could have big robot's, elves and other fun thing's. the main will some time's not be on the side of "good" but other time's they'll be "evil" they just keep balance in the world. throw in some childhood trauma and that's all I got.
Enara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 21:00   Link #28
Torri_fay_torren@hot
Former # 47

I agree that a shorter manga would be better. I can't imagen something thats goes on forever like naruto or something however I think it would be fun to be able to add a short story whenever we want.
Old 2008-03-26, 21:46   Link #29
derelict88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enara View Post
... someone goes to diffrent world's and save's that world. then we could have big robot's, elves and other fun thing's. the main will some time's not be on the side of "good" but other time's they'll be "evil" they just keep balance in the world. throw in some childhood trauma and that's all I got.
Interesting concept mate. But it does seem big in scope. Please redirect my findings if it please. Here goes.

From your concept. We have to kinda touch on the planes like why there is another world and why and what governs it or we will be lost indefinately in those reality. For readers to grasp the world we need explain thus it being short is near impossible. Unless you have an idea how it is to be fleshed for a short story.

Secondly you mentioned childhood trauma, I believe that protagonist is already an adult. If he or she is than its going to be another re-enagment of the past at lease once. It will than be like... Teresa arc in Clare's storyline. Anyway to cut to stream line it for a short story mate?

Where am I now.

So far this is becoming fun. Know that its been a long time since I felt this way about anything because I happen to work in a fun environment. Happy doing what I like to do and get paid well at the same time!

I always wanted to create something where I can leave my name on it. But I do know my limits... Good I am with my hands on paper or screen and good too I am at coming up with concepts (my work requires it anyways or I am jobless...) but bad I am with words. But than some of the dialogue sucks on Onemanga and yet they are still published. Rofl. There you have it.

So, its either 2d drawings if there is a team here or 3D if there is only lil ol'me.

But thanks guys for inspiring me what I needed to bring the zing back into my weekends!

If there is a team, great. If not, life goes on for me but with filled weekends.

Cheers!!
Old 2008-03-26, 22:12   Link #30
Enara
Riful #1 fan + Browncoat

I gauss what I meant to say is that the main saves worlds. meaning more then one. a 1000 even

some thing like.... every chapter/Ark (what ever you want depending on how long the story is) the main goes to a new world with it's own Idea's and laws. the world in question has a good Vs. evil scale. say the scale's not 50 50 but more like 80 to 20. when it gets 80 to 20 the main step's in and put it back to 50 50. ( I'm geussing that some time's they'll meat some people from the other world and they will help the main) the main them self is in a kind of hell because they can never have friend's have a family they don't ever really die and never have a break.

I only had this Idea when I had a dream with someone (don't know who) is talking to a grope of people ( not all of them are human). the view pull's back and you see 1000's of creacher's, animals, robots and other thing's. then the person/ Main smile's.
Old 2008-03-26, 22:38   Link #31
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

One of my biggest motivations for wanting to put something together is just to see if I can do it. After looking at the art for the first few issues of Elfen Lied, Angel Densetsu, and even Claymore I think I can lower my standards a bit on what is needed to make something really interesting (Used to think I needed to draw like Joe Madureira, Todd McFarland or Jim Lee). I spend a bit of time planning out stories but they usually stay in my head. Bouncing ideas off people is a lot of fun and motivation to keep a project going. We will see what happens. For story length I am tenatively thinking to something about the length of a feature film. Although admitedly I am not sure how long that translates as comic pages . We will see what we come up with.

@Enara: That is actually a pretty cool idea. The story sounds like it would heavily address what is good and what is evil, what needs balance and what does not. Definite posibility for some thick social/political commentary there . It sounds kind of like a set of characters I have for a sci fi story I am planning out, except in my story they intentionally destroy civilizations to make sure their own government continues to reign supreme. Kind of reminds me of sliders too with the world hopping.

It could be like "The day the earth stood still" where the creatures from space or wherever actually comes seeking peace but humans attack them because of fear and the result is the alien's robot going insane and starting the process of annihilating man kind. Maybe there is some galactic senate or something that gives planets a chance to accept peace by sending a messenger and a plan, but if it fails they send in the people who reduce civilization to ash by intentionally igniting the fires of war. Maybe the balancing process is more like a test for the humans to see if they are prepared like the movie "Contact" where the aliens want the humans to know they are not alone but are not willing to accept them into their ranks until they resolve their own issues. The back story could be galactic but the main story could be focused on some smaller more personable characters. Fun idea.
Old 2008-03-26, 22:49   Link #32
derelict88

chibamonster
Thats sounds like Mass Effect the game. But it does still feel heavy or it could just be my constipated mindset atm. Lol

Anymore ideas?
Old 2008-03-26, 23:59   Link #33
Enara
Riful #1 fan + Browncoat

I just really like story's with

1. a sad ending

2. bitter sweat ending

3. a ending that closes off most of the lose end's but you know the story isn't over that way the carater's live forevar

I love the idea of the world ending in the end. and as I said before 1 strong female and I happy

this may sound sad but this is the most fun I've had seance my AMV was put on you tube this summer
Old 2008-03-27, 01:19   Link #34
tenken627
what Yagi said

What type of story are you thinking about?

Deciding on that will help greatly with brainstorming workable ideas.

Futuristic? Mechas? Mutations? Aliens? War? Horror?

Present Time? Mystery? Drama? School Life? Romance?

Historical Setting? Fantasy? Adventure?
tenken627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 02:09   Link #35
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

I think the ideas put forth fit more than half of those categories so far, so we probably do need to decide on a genre and story idea pretty quick. Next step I see is getting the concept art, world design and story planning going. The ideas people have put forward have been very interesting to me.

So far we have:

1. Kairin, the animesuki mascot, as some sort of dream warrior in the real world

2. Kairin as a Claymore (though toxic trance is already doing a doujin of it so this one seems disqualified to me )

3. Depressing idea about 2 kids who have a terminal illness, get a bunch of money, and live life quick (I put this one forward to get the ball rolling though )

4. Steam punk revamped with ancient civilizations. This one has the most discussion so far and also has some sweet drawings from derelict88.

5. Teenage kids that have been experimented on to give them powers who decide to turn against their creators.

6. Character who travels from world to world and balances good and evil.

So those are the basic story/world ideas that have been put forward so far. The first 3 have not been discussed much. To me personally the steam punk world design is the most unique and usable for a shorter story at the moment. Truth be told, they could all make fascinating stories though. I am claiming Dungeon Master role for this manga creation game just to keep things moving, even though I really do not have any administrative power .

It would be great if we got some more ideas. If not we will probably just decide between us which one to go with and move to the next stage of story planning pretty quick here. We will see where it heads. I did not think I would grow attached to these various story ideas so quickly.
Old 2008-03-27, 02:27   Link #36
derelict88

thats about right.

Well, last nite and this morning in production meeting I fired my laptop and started doodling on my wacom tablet just to get my blood flooding back into my 'qwerty' fingers. Did a few of those ideas we talk about... well, its bias towards the steampunk subgenre (/shy) and I am liking the looks of it already(/prideful beam).

So get this rolling off the ground already before I set my 'sights' to stone. Lol
Old 2008-03-27, 05:53   Link #37
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Send a message via AIM to aka Providence Send a message via Yahoo to aka Providence
*raises hand* i've got an idea. If it isn't too late to suggest I could post an old outline/summary of a story which I had discontinued due to school, and since it's summer vacation over here I have a lot of time in my hands now.
aka Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 08:09   Link #38
Enara
Riful #1 fan + Browncoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibamonster View Post
I think the ideas put forth fit more than half of those categories so far, so we probably do need to decide on a genre and story idea pretty quick. Next step I see is getting the concept art, world design and story planning going. The ideas people have put forward have been very interesting to me.

So far we have:

1. Kairin, the animesuki mascot, as some sort of dream warrior in the real world

2. Kairin as a Claymore (though toxic trance is already doing a doujin of it so this one seems disqualified to me )
I thought it would be fun to start with characters of our own design. even though it'll be hard to do I thought it wold be fun. but my favorites so far are the steam punk and my idea. and it seem that other people like these idea's the best so I could go with both.
Old 2008-03-27, 10:49   Link #39
tenken627
what Yagi said

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibamonster View Post

So far we have:

3. Depressing idea about 2 kids who have a terminal illness, get a bunch of money, and live life quick (I put this one forward to get the ball rolling though )

4. Steam punk revamped with ancient civilizations. This one has the most discussion so far and also has some sweet drawings from derelict88.

5. Teenage kids that have been experimented on to give them powers who decide to turn against their creators.

6. Character who travels from world to world and balances good and evil.
Well, you can use elements from each of those ideas (except #2) for the basis of a story right there.

Two teenage kids (one of them may or may not be Kairin) living in a steampunk world discover that they have extraordinary abilities. After being sucked into war, where they see that all is not black and white or good and evil, they realize that their bodies have a sickness and that they are in fact dying. After traveling around this steampunk world to search for answers on why they are dying (with adventures on the way), they discover that the reason why they have special abilities and why their bodies are deteriorating is because they are not human at all, they were actually created as weapons. With only a limited lifespan left, they decide that they must stop their creators from creating more weapons like themselves/conquering the world/destroying humanity/or something else.

I'm not saying that this is the story to use, but I'm just showing how one could look if you put those ideas together.
tenken627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 11:01   Link #40
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Steampunk gets my seal of approval, I was thinking the tech-level should be Samurai 7 style, with some Escaflowne influence sprinkled in.

The warring Ancient Civilizations would be quite interesting as well, but I beg that we keep alternate "human-ish" races to a minimum, no elves, dwarves, etc.

Mythological creatures (dragons and such) would be a good chaos factor, giving the feel of an untamed world.

Magic could also play a big role, but if we include magic we have to include several branches, psychic abilities are a personal favorite, Ki is a must, and so is the traditional magic of each of the ancient civilizations.

Not to mention techno-magic type things for tech-users.

As for characters, I agree we should have at least 1 combat-type female in the group, if not more. Not sure about hacker-boy being the main character though, if anything I would prefer a main female-character being the focus, or their being a cast of characters that get equal spotlight.

-------------------

If we are going with the steampunk era + magic + ancient civilization we have to have=

Knights, high-tech Knights, magical ones too, maybe different orders of knights

Samurai equipped with magical/techno-enchanced Katanas, Ki users, not as fond of tech as the Knights (or maybe just not avaliable) but certainly use it, same goes to magic.

But that is what Miko's are for.

Techno-Ninja are a must.

Viking and Berserkers from Norse mythology, with magical runes and all, Norse-god backup. (THOR!!11)

Legion-types, formation fighting and all, with the techno-punk twist, not to mention the divine power that comes from the Pantheon.

We would of course have to include the darker side of these factions, demons, Oni, Giants, various evil Mythological creatures from Greek/Roman mythology.

Maybe even more radical branches of their own factions.

------------------

For neutral elements =

Techno-savvy nation = Possibly where the main-cast meets. Maybe an Atlantis type sea city.

Dragons, smart, but most are wolf-smart, the rarer (and stronger ones) are smart human smart.

Various Mythological other mythological creatures, Krakens, Leviathan.

Pirates, gotta have them.

Plot idea =

The factions have been warring back and forth for generations, and the new leader(s) of one or more nations want it to stop, if for nothing else but to lick their wounds.

They send high-ranking members of their leadership (Prince/Princess, Dukes, High-Priest/Priestesses, etc) to Atlantis (a Neutral ground) to negotiate a cease-fire.

Of course the cast will have to be related to these figures, possibly body-guards, friends, people who live in the techno-savvy city, and even some of the representatives themselves.

To get the plot moving something bad has to happen, maybe a dark half of one of the factions (demons/etc) don't want an alliance to happen, or maybe one of the factions themselves don't want a cease-fire to happen, and sabatoge the meeting.

Got more ideas, but not enough time to post them, maybe later.