AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2003-12-27, 23:32   Link #1
G-G
One-Girl Subtitler

I want to encode!

Well... that's it, the topic says... I really want to learn how to do encoding.
I tried encoding in the past, but it was a very fast experience (and I was such in a hurry), and when I finished all the messing up, the estimated time for finishing the encode was like 10 hours, so I quit for the time...
Today, I decided to try learning how to encode again, not for fansubbing, the real problem is that I got some files that will play slow, I got really angry with that, and people told me the fastest way to get over the problem (Aka: not spending money on better equipment for my comp, which is something I can't afford right now, and I think mine is pretty good as it is) is to re-encode the video properly for myself, so I can watch it.
I tried to search Google for encoding tutorials, but the little bits I found really wasn't helping because they talk so technical stuff I don't even wonder what they mean, and I think asking people who actually do it would be the better way.

I do translations, and the time I tried encoding was right when I was thinking about subbing anime, really, I know how to make subs, my only problem is to make them 'real' on the video file. Maybe if I learn how to encode I may be finally releasing my translations like I always desired to do ^-^
G-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-27, 23:32   Link #2
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

I already got some advice on these forums from the best encoder ever, K_R.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=1685
Old 2003-12-27, 23:38   Link #3
G-G
One-Girl Subtitler

From your own post on the same topic...
Quote:
Well, I'll read a bunch of encoding guides to figure out what the hell you're talking about(...)
Where exactly you went to figure out the technical stuff? ?_?
Old 2003-12-27, 23:43   Link #4
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Actually, I didn't find any guides. Everything I know about encoding is from that thread, and I've done fairly well from it.

K_R references the Doom9 forums (doom9.net, the popular transcoding website), so I expect you might be able to find help there.
Old 2003-12-27, 23:53   Link #5
G-G
One-Girl Subtitler

Omg, they have so many forum divisions it makes me confused just looking at it X_X"
Anyways, thanks for the link ^^ I'll do a wandering there... but I'm not so confident ">_>

Maybe I should add I know almost nothing about encoding... From K_R's first post to the end I can make no sense out of it ?_?
Old 2003-12-28, 00:57   Link #6
K_R
also known as K!

Probably because that thread isn't directed at beginners.

For pure and simple transcoding, all you need is your favourite codec and virtualdubmod. Here's a brief run-down using xvid 1b3 (or latest cvs) and vdm:
In vdm:
File -> Open video file -> <file>
Video -> Fast recompress
Video -> Compression -> XviD -> Configure -> Encoding Type: twopass - 1st pass / Profile@level -> ... -> deselect b-frames -> OK -> OK -> OK
File -> Save As...

Once that's done (should be fairly quick), select twopass -> 2nd pass and put in a filesize you want (keep in mind that bigger file sizes = more bits/s needed to be decoded = jerky on slow machine) and do the save as again.

Also use ffdshow to decode, xvid decoder is still unoptimised.
K_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-29, 00:34   Link #7
G-G
One-Girl Subtitler

K_R!! Thanks so much for your reply! ;_;
After 3 hours of encoding looks like I managed it ^-^ The filesize is a little bigger than the source, still, I haven't had time to watch it yet, but judging from the beginning it seems fixed! ^^

Could you tell me why two passes on the very same video are needed? ^^,
Old 2003-12-29, 01:13   Link #8
K_R
also known as K!

bigger file sizes = more bits/s needed to be decoded = jerky on slow machine; use 2pass to shrink the file to a playable size and retain quality.

However, if your machine can handle large SP streams (no bframes, gmc, qpel, etc.), then just run the first pass with 'discard firstpass' _unchecked_. Click on the ellipses next to Encoding Type to access.

Also, with the newest beta or cvs, first pass is very fast.
K_R is offline   Reply With Quote