AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-04, 12:43   Link #1281
cerrian

Yay! Jenny's back!!

It was awesome to see Schnitzer and team drop their toy weapons and bring out their big guns. Having six glowing points embedded in your torso seems to be much more threatening than holding a beam cannon in your hands. Hope we get to see them fire off those bad boys later.

One thing I didn't understand about the golden ghost ship was the comment about it possibly having multiple modifications. This implies that the ship was used as a colonizer multiple times. So is the ghost ship still on its original voyage?
cerrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 12:48   Link #1282
ookamigirl

Oh, so the first boring part was all about getting new info about the ghost ship.
The second, school life part was kinda more interesting though.
Can't wait till they start the ghost ship hunt!
This episode was kinda stretched, with not much happening.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 13:23   Link #1283
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
One thing I didn't understand about the golden ghost ship was the comment about it possibly having multiple modifications. This implies that the ship was used as a colonizer multiple times. So is the ghost ship still on its original voyage?
More likely it was modified compared to other ships of the same class. Ships aren't like an iPad where all units of the same model are identical. Each one is custom built, and the design gets refined with each new ship as the designers realize flaws and new technology becomes available.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 13:34   Link #1284
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well the thing is huge, with the likely multiple towns worth of people inside (perhaps multiple Macross City sized towns depending on just how huge). A lot are in cold sleep, but it is also possible that some are not and living like a giant multiple generation ship. In which case, they are probably bored and spend time modding the ship. They might even be expanding the ship due to an increase in population, and the cylinders looked larger than the original look.
Old 2012-03-04, 13:48   Link #1285
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Well this is a great episode. Jenny, you're a sneaky club president. Oh Mami you so evil.
And next week, Chiaki in a Pirate suit!
Old 2012-03-04, 14:28   Link #1286
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I can imagine Chiaki acting more intimidating than Marika at this point...if they needed to threaten someone. Or more formal maybe, since Chiaki seems to know how things work, but doesn't have the hands on experiance she's like.

And because her father is a pirate captain....she should become one as well...eventually.
Old 2012-03-04, 14:28   Link #1287
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
During travel? Are you kidding me?

That means:

A) Someone knows where it is
B) Someone on the ship can live long enough to service the ship during its journey
C) Q (or Kyuu ) from the Q-continuum is tinkering with it
D) Any other scenario

DISCLAIMER: I am not a Q.
You know I'm going to add in the possibility that the ships computer is keeping it going maybe even self replicating the ships components.
Old 2012-03-04, 14:31   Link #1288
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Kirk ran into one of those. But it had gotten the society to worship it over generations...to the point they no longer knew they were on a spaceship on a mission to colonies a planet.

I wonder how mercinary the Privateers are at this point. That Chiaki told Marika what her ship's job was, and that her father told her about it at all stands that perhaps the "pirates" are all on the same side as oppose to being competition. Though that depends on how many Privateers are left in the region and how much work is around for them. If being "attacked" by pirates is a rare thing worthy of paying extra on a luxury liner, than I would assume there are very few privateers running about. It could be more rare if the privateers are used a lot for other, more interesting, jobs. As they would not be around the space lanes often enough to "attack" liners.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-03-04 at 14:49.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 15:00   Link #1289
Dop
Mmmm....

I can't believe people are still arguing the toss over the damn skirts!
Clearly they are all using the ninja technique practised by Agiri from Kill Me Baby which lets your skirt stay in place even when upside down.

Now let's discuss the plot, which is distinctly thickening.

Loved the idea of the generation ship, seem to recall a science fiction story about a generation ship sent off to colonise a distant star, only for the people who sent it to then invent FTL, so that by the time the generation ship arrives, the planet is already colonised.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 15:10   Link #1290
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
During travel? Are you kidding me?

That means:

A) Someone knows where it is
B) Someone on the ship can live long enough to service the ship during its journey
C) Q (or Kyuu ) from the Q-continuum is tinkering with it
D) Any other scenario

DISCLAIMER: I am not a Q.
I think Japan is missing out on an alternate genre here, that's right: Magical Girls, in Deep Space! No typical high/middle school hijinks, we're talking colonists fighting for their life from a ruthless, oppressive AI and the humans who have sold their soul to the mechanical overlord. It all starts when a young girl finds a strange cute creature that gives them the power to fight against their oppressors (/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\). Will they overcome the enemy? Will the menacing AI put them all in a cold, eternal sleep? Which will win, science or magic, or will despair overtake them all? Will they EVER reach their destination? Find out next time on Magical Female Space Colonist M4457-A!

Ahem.

Y'know, if I was on a multi-generational space ship, slowboating it across vast tracts of deep space, and when we finally get to the destination, only to discover that someone beat us to it, I'd be really pissed. Oh Hi, while you were trudging through deep space, we developed FTL travel. We've been here for years, glad you finally showed up. That's justifiable grounds for an all out revolt.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 16:49   Link #1291
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

FASA Star Trek did something sort of like that. One of the first Earth sublight exploration vessels reached Alpha Centauri, opens a dialogue and gains the Warp Drive Theory. They send the data back at roughly light speed communication, then head home at sublight. Once the message arrives at Earth, the UN sends a second sublight ship to open official diplomatic and trade ties (though trave over a five plus year voyage is a lot). But they also start work on making Warp Drive practical. The first ship then arrives back home about three years later. They develope a viable Warp Driven Explorer and arrive about a month after the UN diplomatic ship arrives several years later. They then take some people back to Earth at Warp Speed for a heroes welcome.

I think Turtledove did that in his World War series, the one where aliens invade Earth in 1942 using sleeper ships. I think it was in the 1960s or something that the Earth sends a sleeper ship to the Alien Empire's homeworld using the same alien tech to start negotiations to a more peaceful coexistance. They arrive some 40+ years later and start talks with the startled aliens. It looks like it might come down to nuclear weapons and a failed mission when an Earth built FTL drive ship arrives to start another kind of negotiations. The "We out tech you now...do you want to talk or die?" negotiations.
Old 2012-03-04, 18:01   Link #1292
chaos_animagic

Hmm... interesting...

It does add to the question on "Ghosts Building Spaceships"... LOL

chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 18:06   Link #1293
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Hmm... "Ghost in the shell" kind of ghosts, me thinks.
Old 2012-03-04, 19:25   Link #1294
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_animagic View Post
Hmm... interesting...

It does add to the question on "Ghosts Building Spaceships"... LOL
Marika: We need to go WIDER.

Marika: Much Better.
Old 2012-03-04, 19:44   Link #1295
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

As long as she doesn't try to "deploy the Gundams" we are fine.

Jenny's got nice flourishes there. She also may be "amazing", in the Haruka Minami definition of the word, under that uniform. She also has the voice for it, being Rina Satō .

Chiaki's curtsy needs to be made into a gif. It was precise and slightly overdramatic.
Old 2012-03-04, 20:49   Link #1296
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Chiaki's curtsy needs to be made into a gif. It was precise and slightly overdramatic.
If it's done well enough, I might have to replace Blinking Meme.
Old 2012-03-04, 20:57   Link #1297
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Create and it will...
Old 2012-03-04, 21:21   Link #1298
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
I think Japan is missing out on an alternate genre here, that's right: Magical Girls, in Deep Space! No typical high/middle school hijinks, we're talking colonists fighting for their life from a ruthless, oppressive AI and the humans who have sold their soul to the mechanical overlord. It all starts when a young girl finds a strange cute creature that gives them the power to fight against their oppressors (/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\). Will they overcome the enemy? Will the menacing AI put them all in a cold, eternal sleep? Which will win, science or magic, or will despair overtake them all? Will they EVER reach their destination? Find out next time on Magical Female Space Colonist M4457-A!

Ahem.

Y'know, if I was on a multi-generational space ship, slowboating it across vast tracts of deep space, and when we finally get to the destination, only to discover that someone beat us to it, I'd be really pissed. Oh Hi, while you were trudging through deep space, we developed FTL travel. We've been here for years, glad you finally showed up. That's justifiable grounds for an all out revolt.
Reminds me of that Xeelee Sequence story where a generation ship is easily overtaken by an FTL fighter after a god knows how many thousand year long journey and the original crew have devolved into chimpanzees...
Old 2012-03-04, 21:33   Link #1299
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Reminds me of that Xeelee Sequence story where a generation ship is easily overtaken by an FTL fighter after a god knows how many thousand year long journey and the original crew have devolved into chimpanzees...
While this is off topic, but definitely related, see if you can find the manga 'Hotel' by Boichi. It's more 'end of the world' than sci-fi, but it is a nice read.
Old 2012-03-05, 00:09   Link #1300
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well the thing is huge, with the likely multiple towns worth of people inside (perhaps multiple Macross City sized towns depending on just how huge). A lot are in cold sleep, but it is also possible that some are not and living like a giant multiple generation ship. In which case, they are probably bored and spend time modding the ship. They might even be expanding the ship due to an increase in population, and the cylinders looked larger than the original look.
Seeing how far apart many star systems are, they would have a lot of time on their hands to do things like mod the ship for the increasing population since if some of the people were not "in status" and they were plenty of men and women aboard, biological urges would need to be dealt with. Yeah, considering that the closest star to our solar system in 4.3 light years away, I can imagine the trip from Earth to some point in the Alpha Centuri binary star system would take a long time. If they could manage 1/2 light speed, there's still about 8 years there. (Tau Ceti is about 12 light years from Earth so you would need some sort of generation ship for the time it would take). When some future generation gets to going to different stars, it will be somewhat like how slowly ships sailed in the Age of Discovery only instead of 3 months to go 2,000 miles, it would take them 6 months to go 1 AU. I sort of envy those descendants of ours that will have the chance to be the first permanent Martians or whatever. I will very likely need a walker by the time colonization of nearby planets(or planetoids and satellites) gets underway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
I can't believe people are still arguing the toss over the damn skirts!
Clearly they are all using the ninja technique practised by Agiri from Kill Me Baby which lets your skirt stay in place even when upside down.

Now let's discuss the plot, which is distinctly thickening.

Loved the idea of the generation ship, seem to recall a science fiction story about a generation ship sent off to colonise a distant star, only for the people who sent it to then invent FTL, so that by the time the generation ship arrives, the planet is already colonised.
Yes, but would space ninjas share their secrets with their natural archenemies, the space pirates?

I also love the idea of generation ships. I remember reading an older sci-fi story where the descendants of colonists on a generation ship fell into tribalism and there was this huge jungle and things, and they didn't even know that there were on a hugh spaceship.

If there are people still on that "golden ghost ship", I wonder if Marika and company will even be able to handle it if the people are like Bronze-age nomads and such. Or they could have a completely different point of view like a 21st Century banker talking to a 17th Century sea merchant.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri