AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Amagami SS

Notices

View Poll Results: Amagami SS - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 3 4.55%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 4 6.06%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 25.76%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 15.15%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 16.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 9 13.64%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.03%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.52%
1 out of 10 : Painful 9 13.64%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-20, 14:45   Link #41
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Whew... finally this pathetic Snorlax, err, Rihoko arc is over. Really, the two got to be related! When looking up Snorlax, I found this:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ash%27s_Snorlax
"During his travels in the Orange Islands in Snack Attack, Ash discovered a grapefruit orchard that was under attack by a Snorlax that was eating everything in sight, and was consuming many of the nearby islands vegetation within days."
That sure does sound familiar

Other than that - just as expected, nothing really happened. Rihoko made no progress whatsoever with her diet, as she's still completely lacking any willpower and thus still stuffing herself all the same
Junich isn't any help there either, in the opposite, he even invites her to eating cake
Also otherwise, no progress, e.g. between Rihoko and Junichi. It becomes Valentine's day, Rihoko presents Junichi cream puffs, of which she eats most herself (just look how quickly they're gone). It goes towards graduation, shot of Rihoko happily stuffing herself in the teaclub.
On graduation finally, Junichi gives up his resistance against joining and joins the tea club (he was probably fed up with the seniors constantly pestering him about it... I really doubt he'd done it by himself, as Rihoko's phlegmatism already rubbed off on him )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
Worst arc in the whole series. I thought Rihoko was going to take the diet seriously after Junichi's act of kindness at the end of the first ep, but no, all we got was "OMNOMNOM" every other minute.

(...but it was Rihoko, you should have expected that...)
True, being Rihoko, it was to be expected that her "diet" dissolves into thin air
Spoiler for omnomnomnom:

Quote:
When she's a side character and not detrimental to the plot? Yes. But when she's suddenly made the protagonist, I expect her to evolve from a lazy glutton into a determined individual worthy of her lover's affections (especially since Junichi had to jump through hoops to get his girls). The third episode clearly had the warning signs of failure when they had to resort to blatant Miya fanservice to attract people (and sadly, that's probably the only reason Rihoko's DVD will sell any copies at all).
Indeed, she always stayed the lazy glutton she was at the beginning and didn't change a bit.
If they wouldn't have included the Miya fanservice and the other stuff with the other girls, hardly anyone would've buyed the Dvd for Rihoko alone.

Quote:
Ayatsuji better not let me down, especially since she's the end girl. Cut the foreplay and just get straight to the good stuff.
I sure do hope that they did save the best for last, or something like that... but compared to the Rihoko arc, it can only become better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLowrider View Post
Yosuga no Sora is another VN adaptation this season using the omnibus approach, though differently applied than Amagami SS. And it's executing its stories far, far better. Though there is significantly more ecchi involved (not to mention outright sex) so if that sort of thing bothers you it may not be something you enjoy watching. Still, it is certainly handling the omnibus format far better than this series has.
Quoted for truth!
Especially when compared to this Snorlax Rihoko arc
Old 2010-11-20, 16:08   Link #42
karuroso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
But, every other girl had a romance ending. How come all of the sudden we get an arc without them hooking up? If they wanted to break the formula, they could've done it on any of the past 4 arcs, but they wait to the penultimate one to do so? This is just out of left field.
Haruka and Kaoru DVD/BD will have new exclusive content, so maybe for Rihoko we will see something different from what was aired? i can dream can i? ;_; not even here childhood friends gets some love...
Old 2010-11-20, 16:20   Link #43
Midnight Bliss
Radiant as the sun;
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Midnight Bliss
Watched this with my bestest friend, so it generally made things funnier. We were going throughout the whole episode when she would say diet every five minutes DIET WHAT.
We cried in the scene where Rihoko said goodbye to the tea club members, though. I cried kinda hard, it didn't last long, but I cried a bit hard ;__; It was sad. And I'm glad we had a friendship ending. Rihoko deserves love, but I think its better that way. Also, I hate how Haruka shows up in every episode for at least 2 minutes and they just totally made a timeskip and great ending for her arc, and they couldn't for Rihoko's, when it makes much more sense for Rihoko to have a sort of time skip or into the future thing.
All in all, the heroine was great, the arc was fun, but the pacing was just bad, and the whole diet thing was eh, it never even got started, at least we see her working a bit on it by the end, though. Me and my friend were like HOLY SHE'S ACTUALLY STARTING D8. It was still a nice arc, though. I feel as if it was made to be just heartwarming and realistic. Arc order still is is:

Ai >>> Sae > Rihoko > Haruka > Kaoru

Now for my lovely Tsukasa.
Old 2010-11-20, 16:21   Link #44
Lumine
Band Army Member

This video was my exact reaction to this episode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laiVjd1q-hw
Old 2010-11-20, 16:28   Link #45
Midnight Bliss
Radiant as the sun;
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Midnight Bliss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumine View Post

Oh, god, I laughed.
Seriously, Rihoko was such a sweet and endearing character. While the arc overall is the least good in terms of development probably, it has nothing to do with how enjoyable the heroine was.
Old 2010-11-20, 16:45   Link #46
Spartanz1170

I can't believe everything I have seen, nothing came out of it....
Sakurai - Forever Alone
Old 2010-11-20, 19:32   Link #47
stardf29

Huh, well, at least now I know I won't be getting what I came into this arc for >_>

I'm still debating whether I should even bother watching this episode <_<

At the very least, it's going to need some assistance, in the form of the recent Precious Diary manga's mini-chapter... maybe if I pretend that that chapter will be the eventual and logical result of everything that happened in this arc, regardless of what actually happens in the episode, I can pretend that the writers didn't just try to offend all the Rihoko fans in the world by not giving her arc a proper conclusion...
Old 2010-11-20, 19:40   Link #48
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:

Epic... Purely epic. Cookies for posting this.
Old 2010-11-20, 19:53   Link #49
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I *should* be tired of the Hitler parody subs but they never cease to amuse.
Old 2010-11-20, 20:54   Link #50
Qikz

Bah, she may of not got a romantic ending but she's still my favourite girl, one day!
Old 2010-11-20, 21:01   Link #51
Key Board
Carbon

Eh.. the ending was appropriate. Was it really that bad?
It couldn't reach a conclusion but it opened a possibility.

But it boils down to this..

She was a female version of a "nice guy"

And "Nice guy" is not a label to be proud of.

There's a reason why these kind of people finish last. If anything Rihoko was lucky.
Old 2010-11-20, 21:30   Link #52
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Bliss View Post
Arc order still is is:

Ai >>> Sae > Rihoko > Haruka > Kaoru

Now for my lovely Tsukasa.
For me the arc order is:

Ai > Sae >>> Haruka > Kaoru (learn to use a brush, girl!) >>>>>>> insert a thousand '>' here >>>>>>> Rihoko

Tsukasa looked nice so far, from what little I saw of her so far, so it shouldn't be hard for her to beat Haruka and Kaoru at least. I'll see if she can beat Sae and Ai as well.

Quote:

Spoiler for Rihoko's secret fan:

My reaction to this episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RHgch9REbM
Old 2010-11-20, 22:30   Link #53
Eclipze

Major psychotic hatred for Rihoko eh? We get it by now, you know.
Old 2010-11-20, 22:31   Link #54
Kagayaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Eh.. the ending was appropriate. Was it really that bad?
It couldn't reach a conclusion but it opened a possibility.

But it boils down to this..

She was a female version of a "nice guy"

And "Nice guy" is not a label to be proud of.

There's a reason why these kind of people finish last. If anything Rihoko was lucky.
Even if nice guys finish last, that's irrelevant here. Finishing last implies someone beat you. Rihoko didn't lose so that someone else could win. She just flat out lost. Nobody won here.

The motivation for an omnibus romance is to explore multiple relationship possibilities, which didn't happen here. Nothing happened in this arc that couldn't have happened in the other arcs.

However, there are some perfectly good stories where the main couple never gets together. Even with the friendship ending, this arc would've been fine if the writers had shown us things about the characters we didn't already know, or had the characters or their relationships with one another change and grow through their experiences during the arc. But neither of these happened.

People graduated, a new member joined the club, people slept through things and ate a lot of sweets. It was a crappified version of K-on. If they were doing slice-of-life instead of romance for this arc, they should've at least done a good job of it.

tl;dr: Nothing of value happened in this arc. Rihoko got the shaft, but so did the viewers. Way to screw up, writers.

Last edited by Kagayaki; 2010-11-20 at 23:43.
Old 2010-11-20, 23:31   Link #55
Scy

So, which arc do you guys think sucked more, this arc or Sae's? I always though Sae's arc got more hate than it deserved, at least it was entertaining to see Junichi "train" Sae. I came to this arc expecting to see a childhood romance blossom and instead what I got was 4 episodes of the Tea Club trying to capture Junichi.
Old 2010-11-21, 00:20   Link #56
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Just a reminder: we do have a special thread just for Arc Comparison, so please stop with all the "this arc was worse/better than other arcs" talk here. This thread should be about this episode and, as a consequence, this arc on a whole. Future posts that deviate off-topic will be deleted without prejudice.
Old 2010-11-21, 00:31   Link #57
eplipswich
The Anime Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Source

I don't think that everyone hated the arc, but I am just stunned at the way the arc was handled.
Well from this source you posted, it seems like Touka Machida is the one behind Kaoru, Sae and Rihoko arcs, which may then explain why they weren't as great as Haruka and Ai arcs...blame Touka perhaps...?

So overall...the Rihoko arc was a decent arc. I gave this a rating of 8/10 due to just how kawaii Rihoko is . I, for one, am surprised that Rihoko is such a cute girl despite her clumsiness, but that's exactly what makes Rihoko such an adorable character. It's just too bad that Touka handled the script the wrong way, and gave this arc an ending with no clear resolution. Sure, the cast may have been trying to try something new, but at least give it a firmer resolution that it ain't gonna be of romance, but of slice of life. For this whole arc, it certainly gave us viewers the wrong impression.

I only watch highly recommended animes ~ ~
Old 2010-11-21, 00:41   Link #58
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I have henceforth decided to ignore this episode and use the chapter in Precious Diary as the ending to the Rihoko arc for personal blogging purposes.

So... which chapter was it again lol? Precious Diaries has been open in one of my browser tabs for weeks but I never got around to reading it.
Old 2010-11-21, 01:45   Link #59
Itlandm
Porcupine

I suppose we should talk about "I was devoured" in the manga thread instead... but generally
Spoiler for Precious Diary:
Old 2010-11-21, 02:28   Link #60
SageGaiGar
You are Next

I've been loving the tears in this thread, and all before there's an actual translation. Honestly I enjoyed it, she grew on me more than I would've figured. Thought I was going to hate this and I didn't.
Closed Thread