Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-01-18, 03:12   Link #441
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
My impression is that Kureha doesn't realise the whole tech regression situation (in context of the setting nor would you expect her to). It's very possible that HQ didn't send spare parts because there simply aren't any.
When parts and raw materials are scarce, rationality dictates that you should get all the parts that you can into one place and make as many complete tanks as you can with the bare minimum that you have, and save them for times and places that you would need them the most. Think Germany 1944.

If the case were that there simply aren't any parts and they can't make any more, it doesn't make sense for the girls to have an incomplete tank that is never likely to be made whole and useful. The army would be better off with their resources taking the parts the girls have and sending them to units who can use them as replacements for already irreplacable material.

To me, the fact that they have half a tank in their leaky hangar says that they do have some parts, but not enough for everyone that they aren't giving the girls the parts needed to complete one likely because HQ thinks they'll never use it.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 03:23   Link #442
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
When parts and raw materials are scarce, rationality dictates that you should get all the parts that you can into one place and make as many complete tanks as you can with the bare minimum that you have, and save them for times and places that you would need them the most. Think Germany 1944.

If the case were that there simply aren't any parts and they can't make any more, it doesn't make sense for the girls to have an incomplete tank that is never likely to be made whole and useful. The army would be better off with their resources taking the parts the girls have and sending them to units who can use them as replacements for already irreplacable material.

To me, the fact that they have half a tank in their leaky hangar says that they do have some parts, but not enough for everyone that they aren't giving the girls the parts needed to complete one likely because HQ thinks they'll never use it.
In that case the logical thing is as you suggest take the tank away from the girls and give them something they can actually use. Either a smaller tank that actually works or some RPG or mortars.

They are still technically a front line unit guarding the boarder, you either give them something them can use right off that bat or you don't give it to them.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 03:29   Link #443
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well they have... uh... looks like bolt action rifles and Lugers I think, which really clashes a lot with the tank that looks rather futuristic. Either tank technology was at some point so far ahead and away compared to the rest of military tech, or the girls are really just getting the ass end of military weaponry.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 03:54   Link #444
Hypernova

Quote:
Well they have... uh... looks like bolt action rifles and Lugers I think, which really clashes a lot with the tank that looks rather futuristic. Either tank technology was at some point so far ahead and away compared to the rest of military tech, or the girls are really just getting the ass end of military weaponry.
But there's a huge gap between MG's/Rifles and tanks. Realistically you should at least have some grenades. The list that was read off was all guns guns guns. And no mention of how much ammo for them.

And come to think of it, what about shells for the tank? If they aren't given any then it can be assumed that HQ never intended them to use it.
Old 2010-01-18, 04:07   Link #445
davie

Watched the first episode but I'm not sure where the anime is headed. Is it going to involve gun fights or is it just slice-of-life type of deal with the girl soldiers? Wasn't horrible as others have said, but I'm not too keen on character (moe) centered anime with little to no plot.

It looks promising but cannot be sure yet. I guess I have to watch the 2nd episode :-p.
Old 2010-01-18, 04:59   Link #446
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
But there's a huge gap between MG's/Rifles and tanks. Realistically you should at least have some grenades. The list that was read off was all guns guns guns. And no mention of how much ammo for them.

And come to think of it, what about shells for the tank? If they aren't given any then it can be assumed that HQ never intended them to use it.
You are thinking too much, its clouding your judgment; time will answer all questions.
Old 2010-01-18, 05:04   Link #447
scr
my sides are in orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I just want to post something. The likely origins of the Fire maiden story, based on a mythological story from the "Dai" people of China. Here translated from a book I owned, that I also posted in 4 chan:
Spoiler for The story of the water splashing festival:
Cool story bro.
I'm going to look into it. Spiders aside, that story seems to be pivotal if we're to guess the direction of this anime.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 06:47   Link #448
Chrono Helix

When Rio was being told 'you shouldn't eat that owl, look at what's our logo' I found myself thinking 'the logo looks like an owl... on skewers.'
Old 2010-01-18, 08:24   Link #449
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
The soldier who ferried Kanata had crap BMW motorbike as well...

Not to mention the troop train was a steam loccomotive (I know steam loccomotives exist today but using them as a mass troop transport is uh.....WWII-ish)

So no....it's most likely they are that backward
Old 2010-01-18, 10:35   Link #450
PastPrime

Quote:

Since it doesn't look like battle damage took the girls tank out, I would assume that it is parts that just wore out from use, or because they were a weak point. It is likely that all of the non working generation tanks need the same parts so collecting them together would be a waste of resources. Just like all the automotive recalls for a defective part. That happens with Military equipment too. But the tank is obviously to old for a TCTO, emergency or otherwise.

For those of you without Military experience, a TCTO is a Time Compliance Technical Order (Our Manuals were Technical Orders). They were used to update aircraft systems, or in an emergency condition, replace dangerously defective parts, usually coming after a crash investigation. There are times when virtually all of a given series of aircraft are grounded until an emergency action TCTO is completed on them.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 13:15   Link #451
sirn
田舎者言うな

The more I watched this show, the more I love it.

Spoiler for episode 3:
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 13:25   Link #452
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for So Ra Mi Ka Na Me Mo 03 - Shaft-induced Dreams Not Included:
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 13:33   Link #453
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

This was probably my favorite episode yet. Nice calm pacing, which really fits this show nicely. Sure some parts are really obvious, though i like it.

The tank really is my favorite character in the show.
Old 2010-01-18, 13:52   Link #454
einhorn303

Just in case people don't realize, the song repeated through ep 3 is a slightly embellished version of the hymnal "Amazing Grace" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5iGpkGeNlc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Spoiler for So Ra Mi Ka Na Me Mo 03 - Shaft-induced Dreams Not Included:
Yeah, I'm loving the

Quote:
Good morning, brother.
Hello by Takemicaduchi Navi System.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 14:18   Link #455
Hypernova

Well, make sense to have the tank UI in english if we invoke the US makes advanced weapons idea.
Old 2010-01-18, 14:37   Link #456
Key Board
Carbon

So we have a tank named after a Japanese storm god, located in what appears to be Swiss, yet the currency is yen. And it has Amazing Grace recorded in its memories.

Hmm..
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 15:35   Link #457
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep3:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 17:40   Link #458
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep3:
No, it will never be....

*bites you for speaking nonesense*

heh, guess l wasn't hearing things when....the song sounded like amazing grace...
Old 2010-01-18, 17:41   Link #459
Roardel

Great episode. There’s few explanations, but we can fully understand what happened to Rio and her mother.
Roardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 17:56   Link #460
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Hn... So what we have yet - English in tank, Japanese in building and some language they write in - French? Italian? Spanish? Pretty heavy mix...

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
al103 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, music, seinen, slice of life