AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-09-13, 17:32   Link #901
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I think Nagi and whoever he ends up with, if not all of the girls, will leave the island when all is said and done. The island really does hold them all down, especially Shizuku.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman32x View Post
That's my guess. I think Nagi will bring about change in the island. It's going to be VERY hard to do. Much harder than Kaoru's position.

How they get off the island will be interesting. Oba made it perfectly clear this chapter that they're not about to let Nagi up and leave. It's going to be a very hard struggle.
Both of these presuppose that there will be a point when Nagi and the Maidens attempt to leave ... up to now there has been no talk of that, and it is only in the recent chapter that Mike proposed a possible scenario, so in that sense it is a relatively "recent" development in the story of the manga itself (thus far).

The general aspect of "trying to leave the island" as a possible (even probable?) plot device I can definitely see ... I am not yet convinced it will be the "finale" plot device, though. To be sure it could, mind you, but personally I am not yet sold on it being the final one.

Again, just personal opinion, though. (Can you tell I have a lot of them?)
Old 2010-09-13, 18:31   Link #902
GrrDraxin

Send a message via Yahoo to GrrDraxin
Cult issues, and great island escapes aside, I do think something might come up that would be seen along those lines. However I think before such things come to pass, Nagi would step in for the safety of the "unchosen" and make drastic changes to the "ritual" should human sacrifice, forced exile, or other equally unpleasant scenario come into play.

Nagi is the kind of guy who would help in every way possible to ensure a solution almost everyone would be at least contented with would be reached. I would think he himself would even take on the role of Match Maker for the losers, if he thought it would help. Kinda like a "duty" or "personal sacrifice" to ensure the livelihood of those around and close to him... As long as he wields the power and respect that is granted to him as the dragon god for the good of the people as well as the maidens who seek his favor.

I doubt the Harem End would be sufficient, any any capacity for this. But, we may see some of the darker side of the island's "customs" once more about the rituals of the Dragon God have been brought to light. Though the commandments for the maidens, chosen and not, may not be as bad as we may think they may be, But I'm sure there is something written in them that will ensure that someone won't be at all happy when the final ritual is completed, if there is something like that.

I just hope that he confronts Oba-san about telling him all the details of the customs and rituals involved, and hopefully demands that appropriate changes be made should some seem cruel or ridiculous to his sensibilities.
Old 2010-09-14, 01:12   Link #903
crossguy
Confused. As usual.

Nagi always seems to pull the rabbit out of the hat in relation to the island customs/culture,
and I don't see this pulling him away from the island. If anything, he has told Shizuku that he didn't really like Tokyo(too busy). He seems to have adjusted to the lifestyle and embraced it within his knowlege. But there's something looming off in the distance involving sacrifice....
crossguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 04:02   Link #904
mammothb

omg that just reminded me of the to love ru ending. there is no news of it getting axed rit? i would be unsatisfied if its a harem end at this point.
mammothb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 06:37   Link #905
Dark Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycanid View Post

But looking back on the author's previous work one of the themes was the main characters (Aoi and Kaoru) "breaking" with "old traditions", if you will. I would not be surprised if that theme was brought to bear again here - perhaps even with Nagi sacrificing himself somehow for the sake of the Cape Maidens? (Just speculation though.)
But if you read Ai Yori, then you should also know this, that the story of this author can turn very dramatic and quite dark. So, UNM too has quite the potential for drama
Old 2010-09-14, 10:59   Link #906
Irie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
But if you read Ai Yori, then you should also know this, that the story of this author can turn very dramatic and quite dark. So, UNM too has quite the potential for drama
Seems we still have a way's to go with this story. I totally agree that Ai Yori had that similar under current of a more serious story but seemed to turn uncharactoristically dark at the end. Almost like the publisher or sales numbers prompted the story to enter it's ending phase. Just my impression and quite possible it was all planned from the beginning.

I do expect the Tokyo arc to bring our first major conflict. I just hope it doesn't turn into some sort of cult story and more of Nagi buffering the two societies. Nagi introducing an alternative which keeps the old traditions and welcomes some social progression. Unfortunately, when-ever that happens in real life it leads to the end of a culture.
Old 2010-09-14, 14:16   Link #907
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
Seems we still have a way's to go with this story. I totally agree that Ai Yori had that similar under current of a more serious story but seemed to turn uncharacteristically dark at the end. Almost like the publisher or sales numbers prompted the story to enter it's ending phase. Just my impression and quite possible it was all planned from the beginning..
Also agreed.... Although somehow the darker toned ending of Ai Yori seemed to be more deliberate - at least to me.

Quote:
I do expect the Tokyo arc to bring our first major conflict. I just hope it doesn't turn into some sort of cult story and more of Nagi buffering the two societies. Nagi introducing an alternative which keeps the old traditions and welcomes some social progression. Unfortunately, when-ever that happens in real life it leads to the end of a culture.
Very true ... in general even if you have a person or group of people who can somehow "strike the right balance" in this regard the general inclination of many has been the loss of cultural traditions, values, etc. - and sometimes even the older languages (an example being "living Scottish Gaelic" still spoken only by the older generations on the Scottish islands).
Old 2010-09-14, 19:22   Link #908
Dark Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycanid View Post
Also agreed.... Although somehow the darker toned ending of Ai Yori seemed to be more deliberate - at least to me.
Yeah, I always knew Ai Yori Aoshi was gonna have proper serious drama and it was definitely not rushed. From the beginning, I knew the author/mangaka intended that drama to follow.

Just like how, I always get the feeling that UNM too will have quite abit of drama. It cant continue with this boring day-to-day life forever otherwise, it risks becoming something monotonous like Pastel.
Old 2010-09-14, 23:03   Link #909
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Yeah, I always knew Ai Yori Aoshi was gonna have proper serious drama and it was definitely not rushed. From the beginning, I knew the author/mangaka intended that drama to follow.

Just like how, I always get the feeling that UNM too will have quite abit of drama. It cant continue with this boring day-to-day life forever otherwise, it risks becoming something monotonous like Pastel.
Pastel has only one heroine. Here we have three of them - it already makes it less monotonous by default.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-15, 05:31   Link #910
aliasxn
Eye for an Eye

Agreed.

This is a series about a guy and three girls in a paradisiacal island. Why do you wanna ruin that?!
Old 2010-09-15, 07:57   Link #911
Dark Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasxn View Post
Agreed.

This is a series about a guy and three girls in a paradisiacal island. Why do you wanna ruin that?!
Ever heard of a thing called too much sweetness can be bad for you? To be honest, I love UNM and will continue liking it but it is getting kinda boring and repetitive. Without drama, its a tad too monotonous. Every time its almst the same thing, they go to the beach, hang out, cook food and that's it. After a while, it makes me lose interest. Well it maybe just me though. However, I m liking the recent chapters more as it promises abit more drama.
Old 2010-09-15, 09:53   Link #912
Irie

Quote:

Just like how, I always get the feeling that UNM too will have quite a bit of drama. It cant continue with this boring day-to-day life forever otherwise, it risks becoming something monotonous like Pastel.
I have to say Pastel is driving me nuts. It's already beyond anything remotely realistic and the lack of progress - just frustrating. I've seen enough romantic progress in UNM to keep it interesting. At least for now.

The one similarity between both stories is the use of pretty defined arcs and addition of new characters to spice things up.
Spoiler for spoiler:
Sorry for the rant... Didnt mean to hijack the post.

Anyway, it's too early to feel like this will become Pastel-like just yet. I do see your point and in no way saying it's not boring for some.
Old 2010-09-15, 15:01   Link #913
Dark Mage

Quote:
I have to say Pastel is driving me nuts. It's already beyond anything remotely realistic and the lack of progress - just frustrating. I've seen enough romantic progress in UNM to keep it interesting. At least for now.

The one similarity between both stories is the use of pretty defined arcs and addition of new characters to spice things up.
Spoiler for spoiler:
Sorry for the rant... Didnt mean to hijack the post.

Anyway, it's too early to feel like this will become Pastel-like just yet. I do see your point and in no way saying it's not boring for some.

Lucky for me, I dropped Pastel
Spoiler for reason:

I do agree UNM hasnt become anything like that yet and that's why I said, it risks becoming something like that. The fact that I m still reading it, means, I still enjoy it, but I cant deny the fact that its becoming a tad too repetitive.
Old 2010-09-19, 23:49   Link #914
crossguy
Confused. As usual.

Since i'm such a noob, it's kind of refreshing to see this work compared to others. I haven't been following a lot of other mangas, but I have to say this one seems to be unlike most of the others BECAUSE of it's slower pace and lack of instant gratification. Characters build and have some depth, the plot moves at a lazy pace and you can see off in the distance.... something.
So I want to know more.
Dang.
Old 2010-09-24, 12:38   Link #915
crossguy
Confused. As usual.

Did I break the Forum, or has it all been said until the next release?
Old 2010-09-26, 06:54   Link #916
Johnny
Working the bags...

Spoiler for ch 72:
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 10:43   Link #917
aliasxn
Eye for an Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Spoiler for ch 72: