AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2012-06-06, 00:38   Link #281
-Kuroko-

God! Hameln's Castanets was awesome! is the story I enjoyed the most so far!

Spoiler for Hameln's Castanests:

I can't wait to read the next story! 'A Girl's Day' here I go!
-Kuroko- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 02:29   Link #282
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yirba View Post
Thanks, Corfish.

We're actually called "Spider Lily Translations" now, so no need for any of that "Team Ronove" nonsense.
Oh sorry, didn't mean to suggest anything with what I said ^^; I just didn't know a name. Cool name now though

I really liked Higanbana, but there's one thing that bothers me about the story...

Spoiler for Chapter 7:
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 11:44   Link #283
Lucky06

Aw
This VN tremendously lacks murder and mystery, but more rape
Still a good read for a school ghost theme (but way below the level of Higurashi and Umineko)

Kinda feels like Higanbana has a different target audience most likely for young kids and teens probably of the ages (10-17)

First 2 chapters were the best IMO

Chapters 3-5 gave me some giggles ( ahegao girl, sakunoshin, yes yes... rabbit sex ) ...

Chapter 6 was quite ummmm SHORT and could have been inserted in chapter 2

Chapter 7 took quite a great buildup especially for Marie and Yukari... if only Higanbana didnt interfere

Oh by the way... SMH at students of other classes not noticing running in underwear Yukari probably panting and making some noise
Lucky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 12:35   Link #284
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky06 View Post
Kinda feels like Higanbana has a different target audience most likely for young kids and teens probably of the ages (10-17)
Young kids? Are you serious? Rape, bullying, physical and mental violence... I'd rate this nothing less than a 16+

Anyway, finished reading the first three chapters.

Spoiler for 1,2,3:

Onwards to the Shrine story!
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 12:50   Link #285
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Higanbana deals with some really horrible issues. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to "young kids". It's disturbing enough to me at the age I am now!
Old 2012-06-06, 15:48   Link #286
st_nick5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKey View Post
Spoiler for 1,2,3:
Some people commit suicide if they're being bullied/stalked a lot. Dunno why you think it felt like an exaggeration.

edit - Can't quite see what's going on with the spoiler tags there.
edit - Got 'em.

Last edited by st_nick5; 2012-06-06 at 16:04. Reason: Fixed spoiler tags for real this time.
st_nick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 19:28   Link #287
Lucky06

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKey View Post
Young kids? Are you serious? Rape, bullying, physical and mental violence... I'd rate this nothing less than a 16+
Well, isnt Higanbana supposed to be telling a story which people ARENT COMFORTABLE DISCUSSING about

Which is a good warning and eye opener for the kids IMO, just to not let them be IGNORANT and APATHETIC to their surroundings which for me is a good life lesson
Old 2012-06-06, 19:34   Link #288
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Keep in mind that Higanbana is primarily for entertainment. It's not really meant to be an educational resource for young kids to learn about this stuff. There are much better ways to teach kids about these things than to read what is essentially a book for older teens / adults.
Old 2012-06-06, 19:35   Link #289
Corfish1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky06 View Post
Well, isnt Higanbana supposed to be telling a story which people ARENT COMFORTABLE DISCUSSING about

Which is a good warning and eye opener for the kids IMO, just to not let them be IGNORANT and APATHETIC to their surroundings which for me is a good life lesson
While I understand your argument, this is NOT written for audiences below the age of at least 14 (I'm going with 14 because the more graphic details actually seem to be less extreme than Higurashi and Umineko, though I've only just started Chapter 5). You will not see a rating system in the world that would put this merely at just E or T for example (or whatever the equivalents would be in other countries than the US. T maybe, but it would probably Older Teen over younger Teens).

You're saying because you can use it to teach younger people to not be ignorant, it's meant for them? Nope, sorry, you're wrong. Brave New World could be used to educate younger people, but it is not meant for them. I think they can handle it (with a responsible parent to discuss with), but it's simply not meant for them on their own. A lot of younger people do not have the analytical skills to understand what Ryukishi is truly trying to get at.

I mean, how often do you hear people talk about KILLER LOLIS when referencing Higurashi? Those are mostly younger people who are interested in the violence, and not the overarching story line.
Corfish1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 19:48   Link #290
Lucky06

point taken from you guys

Thanks
Old 2012-06-06, 22:48   Link #291
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Even though there are many content in this game that are disturbing, I feel Ryukishi was having a great time writing it. I feel like I can sense his...joy when writing this thing, like it was some sort of side story where you write up your ideas in a sheet of paper when you have a free time

Oh and I've just finished ch 3
Spoiler:

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-07, 02:03   Link #292
Corfish1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
Even though there are many content in this game that are disturbing, I feel Ryukishi was having a great time writing it. I feel like I can sense his...joy when writing this thing, like it was some sort of side story where you write up your ideas in a sheet of paper when you have a free time

Oh and I've just finished ch 3
Spoiler:
The way I perceived it was:
Spoiler for Chapter 3 ending spoilers:
That's the way it makes most sense to me anyways =)
Corfish1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-07, 02:21   Link #293
-Kuroko-

Spoiler for One Girl's Day:

NOOO! just 1 chapter left ;_; I want to keep reading Higanbana forever! apparently 'Utopia' is the longest one, that's very good for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corfish1001 View Post
The way I perceived it was:
Spoiler for Chapter 3 ending spoilers:
That's the way it makes most sense to me anyways =)
That's the exact same way I interpreted it
Old 2012-06-07, 06:34   Link #294
Captain Bluebeard
Detective, Witch, Pirate.

I know I said it wasn't Umineko good, but seriously, after I finished Chapter 3, I totally got this Umineko sensation where you just want MORE!

Spoiler for Chapter 3:

I'm starting to really get hooked into this! Many thanks to the 'Spider Lilly' translations (very stylish name by the way, same goes for the new site).

It's tough to be blue...
Captain Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-07, 06:39   Link #295
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corfish1001 View Post
You will not see a rating system in the world that would put this merely at just E or T for example (or whatever the equivalents would be in other countries than the US. T maybe, but it would probably Older Teen over younger Teens).
I'll mention that PEGI actually gave Higurashi a 7+ classification, although that's down to the fact that they only actually looked at the minigames for some reason… If they were to classify it properly, I imagine they'd give it a 16+.
Old 2012-06-07, 06:41   Link #296
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Higurashi script couldn't be considered as a game by Pegi, and book shop etc do not recognize it as a book. That's why it had to go through with the mini games.
Well, the translator basically dropped the pretense, and delivered Kai episodes without any pegi rating.
Old 2012-06-07, 16:57   Link #297
Captain Bluebeard
Detective, Witch, Pirate.

Chapter 5 was the best one yet. So deliciously sadistic....

Especially
Spoiler for Chapter 5:

P.S: Anyone else absolutely adoring Higanbana as a character?

It's tough to be blue...

Last edited by Captain Bluebeard; 2012-06-08 at 00:56.
Captain Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-08, 01:20   Link #298
-Kuroko-

Spoiler for Utopia:

Spoiler for Library Section:

And well.. this is it.. it's over.. words cannot describe how much I enjoyed Higanbana! I absolutely love it! the setting, the characters, the music.. everything! I want to give my thanks again to the Spider Lilly Translation team! i'm so looking forward to The Second Night! I'm so curious about the remaining youkais! I wish you the best luck!
Old 2012-06-08, 02:40   Link #299
cronnoponno

I was a bit let down at the last chapter, how they just magically got thrown off on a bus to solve all the problems. But I was surprised I would actually enjoy this series this much, hot damn. I'm so sad I finished reading it, I want more!

It kinda felt like rushing to a conclusion with the bus part is all, and I probably should understand this by now but is Higanbana officially supernatural confirmed? After reading Umineko, assuming the supernatural stuff was real really backfired, and with the exception of the bus crash, a lot of events can kinda be made sense of with realistic explanations.

Also, is there a chance Marie may actually be part of an unfair narrative as well? We know the teacher was totally crazy over Marie and was claiming all that nonsense about being mastered by her and being reliant on her, but after reading the Spirit Camera chapter, and all this stuff about delusions and only being fed part of the story till the last minute(seriously, chapter 5 really surprised me most at the teacher part, where it was revealed how much of an intellectual asshole he was) concerns me. It does seem like an unlikely worry but....

EDIT:

Spoiler for Rabbit:
cronnoponno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-08, 03:42   Link #300
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Higanbana isn't a When They Cry game, but I think you can interpret the story both ways. If you want to believe in the youkai, it works. If you want to believe that the youkai are just imaginary, then that also works.

I personally like to imagine that the youkai exist, and I think that's the best way to enjoy the story. However, it's a catbox with no correct answers.