AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-08-16, 09:53   Link #1
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Looking for "Dark" animes

UPDATED TO 16 AUGUST 20:37

My tastes changed a bit during this period and i'm no longer interested in romance animes.

I'm currently looking for "dark" titles but, what do i mean by "dark"? I'm looking for some series with cold characters with a dark background or a "dark" philosophy filled with cynicism, indifference to murder (eventually a little of sadism), little morality or simply black humor. Oh right, just for your information, i'm a straight boy in his early twenties.

Genres: Psychological, Mystery, Supoerpowers, Sci-Fi, Supernatural, Action, Violence; i don't mind some romance in the background. Psychological is preferred and usually Mystery is coupled with it. The Sci-fi i'm interested in is most likely time travel; you are free to avoid anything else. Gore and splatter makes the action more "enjoyable". If the title is mostly action-oriented, then superpowers are most likely a must, even tho
Spoiler for Darker than Black, 2nd season, big spoiler:

- The Plot: Something well built, entertaining, rich of twists, not boring or monotone, "dark" (indeed).

- The protagonist:
-If the title is focuses a lot on action and fights, then the protagonist has to be male, badass, cold, rational and possibly a loner. No childish voice or looks, preferably in the age span of 15-30 (better if over 20 but not necessary). Best example would be Hei from Darker than black.
-If the title is focused more on mystery, then even an average protagonist is ok, as long as he isn't boring or a crybaby.

- The background: The city is usually preferred but, since i'm not much experienced in this genre, you are free to suggest anything.

- Violence: If it's going to be a series full of action, then gore is welcomed: blood and mutilations somehow entertain me and they make the action a bit more "real". if it's more focused on mystery or psychological, i don't really care about it.

- Animation: I like a "serious" animation... ah shit, even now i don't know how to say it: i'm looking for the animation of Darker than Black, Death Note, Steins;Gate, Welcome to the NHK, Fate/zero, but NOT the one of Zero no Tsukaima (Just to mention one). I hope you got it.

- Anime Age: Even tho i found cool animes from the 90's, like Yu Yu hakusho, avoid old animes and focus on the ones coming from 2005++. If there is a certain title that you really wanted to suggest but that came before 2005, name it anyways with a reason saying why i would like it anyways.

What i don't like:
- Mecha: i simply don't like it. Giant robots fighting, battle suits with overpowered guns and stuff like that doesn't appeal me even slightly.

- Cyberpunk: i don't like futuristic backgrounds with everything automated or dealing with the cyberspace.

- Feudal Japan & Samurais: it just doesn't appeal me :/

- Overly dramatic: something that gets too dramatic and depressing will most likely bore me: avoid this stuff (even tho it's very unlikely for something like this to happen).

As i stated before, you could make 3 different suggestions for each category:
- mostly action (Darker than Black)
- mostly mystery (Steins;Gate)
- mostly comedy (Welcome to the NHK)

Titles i've watched so far:
Spoiler for List 1:

Titles i planned to watch:
UN-GO
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubō no Shichinin
Shinrei Tantei Yakumo

Probably there are 1-2 more titles i forgot to write, but nothing more. I would like to remind you that i'm looking for mostly serious titles: no animes portraying kids or stupid things (Higurashi: found it boring and the characters looked too childish).

Thanks for the attention.

PS: You can also suggest mangas but, when it comes to action, i definitely prefer anime and colors.

I'll keep this post always updated so, in the future, just take a look at this post to see if something changed (I'll put the date update every time i edit this post)

Last edited by Classified Info; 2012-08-16 at 13:37.
Classified Info is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 10:07   Link #2
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Some title i can suggest...
- Baccano -> you already watched this
- Jin Roh
Quote:
The film takes place in an alternate history in Japan during the 1950s where Germany has conquered Japan. Kazuki Fuse, a member of the Panzer Cops with the rank of Corporal, is sentenced for not following an order to kill a suicide bomber. Along the way, he meets Kei, a girl who initially claims to be the suicide bomber's sister and they develop a relationship. However, this relationship proves to be dangerous for the Kerberos Corps.
- Black Lagoon
Quote:
The story follows a team of pirates/mercenaries known as Lagoon Company, that smuggles goods in and around the seas of Southeast Asia in the early to mid 1990s.[4] Their base of operations is located in the fictional harbor city of Roanapur in southeast Thailand (somewhere in the Amphoe Mueang Trat district, likely on the mainland north/northeast of the Ko Chang island or on the island itself).
- Blood the Last Vampire
Quote:
The story is set in 1966. Its main protagonist is a girl named Saya, who hunts bat-like creatures called chiropterans. Saya is introduced on a subway train, where she assassinates a man in a suit. Her American contacts or handlers arrive. One of them, David, begins to brief Saya on another mission, while the other, Louis, discovers that the man Saya has just killed was probably not a chiropteran.
- Ga-Rei Zero
Ga-Rei Zero is a prequel of manga called Ga-Rei. It is about a spirit-elimination squad in Tokyo. While the protagonist is like an average protagonist (protag is a girl), the antagonist is regarded as one of the best antagonist in recent anime.
- Kara no Kyoukai -> You already watched this
- Ayakashi
- Mononoke
Ayakashi and Mononoke is a compilation of horror stories. While it doesnt have a protagonist like Hei, but story is quite dark and full of mystery. I feel that this doesnt fit 100% into your criteria, but you might wanna give these titles a try.

I'll add another if i remember...

Last edited by Azuma Denton; 2012-08-16 at 10:19. Reason: add some description
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 10:11   Link #3
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Oh right, had forgot to add Baccano to the "watched list"; anyways, already checked Kara no Kyoukai some time ago but it bored me for the plot (it was a bit random).

Btw, mind to give a brief description for each title? Thanks
Old 2012-08-16, 10:21   Link #4
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
Oh right, had forgot to add Baccano to the "watched list"; anyways, already checked Kara no Kyoukai some time ago but it bored me for the plot (it was a bit random).

Btw, mind to give a brief description for each title? Thanks
already editted my post...
Old 2012-08-16, 10:25   Link #5
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

How about giving When Seagulls Cry (Umineko no Naku koro ni) a shot ? Check it for yourself for spoilerish reasons.
Also, Zetman (but I highly recommend reading the manga since I heard the anime has rushed story) and BTOOOM!!.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 10:39   Link #6
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

You should definitely give UN-GO a try. It's an underrated gem IMO. The mystery and twists keep one entertained.

Also, Shinrei Tantei Yakumo. Both animes that I suggest are mystery animes and can be dark at times.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 10:41   Link #7
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Sory, forget one title...
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubō no Shichinin
A story about juvenille prison in Japan post world war II era
Old 2012-08-16, 10:55   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Another vote for Bakeneko and Mononoke. It has one of the best protagonists in anime with a remarkable voice-acting performance by Sakurai Takahiro and spectacular graphics.

Looks like you've never watched Monster, either. Put that on your list.

Requiring a male protagonist considerably limits the range of options by excluding shows like Moribito.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 11:16   Link #9
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

you should take a look at sword of the stranger
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2418/Sword_of_the_Stranger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iI31EKaLZE

very well done anime movie

Jormungand
http://myanimelist.net/anime/12413/Jormungand
newest anime this year and I liked it

Last edited by Cold~as~Ice; 2012-08-16 at 11:43.
Cold~as~Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 11:18   Link #10
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Why don't you give the anime movie Loups=Garous and anime Speed Grapher a shot.

Last edited by Kirito; 2012-08-16 at 12:25.
Kirito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 13:04   Link #11
zarqu
Stüldt Hĺjt!

Seconding whatever SeijiSensei said (he always makes good recommendations!).

Quote:
Oh right, just for your information, i'm a straight boy in his early twenties.
Nice, me too!
Quote:
I'm looking for some series with cold characters with a dark background or a "dark" philosophy filled with cynicism, indifference to murder (eventually a little of sadism), little morality or simply black humor.
Yep. Watch Shigurui and Texhnolyze. Also, seconding Rainbow. Three quality Madhouse productions right there.
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 13:26   Link #12
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Ok, i noticed that i omitted a thing that i don't really like; you see, i always look for japanese series because there are so many and they provide good stories but i'm not this much appealed by strictly japanese "traits", such as otaku culture or feudal japan stories. This said, i don't like stories settled in feudal japan or concerning samurais & co. This is probably why i also prefer the city background. I still looked up Mononoke, but the graphic is a bit "unusual" and i can't really say that i like it.

Anyways, I'm intrigued by UN-GO and Shinrei Tantei Yakumo, while i had already planned on approaching Rainbow: Nisha Rokubō no Shichinin (It had been suggested once by Cold-As-Ice. in another thread).

The synopsis of Umineko no Naku koro ni reminds me of Higurashi, which kinda bored me.

On another note, i was searching and found some titles that i think i could be interested in:
Blue Exorcist (son of satan? Might give some laughs)
Dr Grayman (the characters appeal me)
Soul eater (looks weird, perhaps a "light" title)
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (i smell black humor in this one)
Kuroshitsuji (already picked up my attention some time ago)
XXXHolic (This title popped up countless times :S)

One last thing: as i stated in the first post, i won't be too picky on the protagonist and i'll even accept an average protagonist if the story can provide a good (dark)mystery. Just so you know, i accept even titles like Sankarea(manga) or Dusk Maiden of Amnesia(manga) that just have some dark vibes (Picked those out of my romance list because i remembered they had something dark) Ok, it's better if i edit the main post.

EDIT
@ Zargu: didn't notice there was another post but well, same goes for yours:
Shigurui is settled in feudal japan
Texhnolyze got too much cyberpunk

Still, thanks for your suggestions so far, keep going
Old 2012-08-16, 13:37   Link #13
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
The synopsis of Umineko no Naku koro ni reminds me of Higurashi, which kinda bored me.
The character designs for Umineko isn't as childish as you think, but even though the story may not appeal to you, you need to get used to it. If you do it, the story will constantly gets better, otherwise it just ends up so bad that makes you drop it very early. Another is worth a look though, but be prepared to digest some "bizarre" mysteries though.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 13:40   Link #14
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

I am glad you like my suggestions. Anyway, I forgot to mention two more animes. I am not sure if you will like it, but I will just say it. Give Dantalian no Shoka a try.It's a combination of fantasy+mystery. Also, Denpa teki na Kanojo. It's an OVA. This OVA is extremely dark, and plenty of gore. The animation is also excellent. I think this is one anime you will surely enjoy. Each episode features a different mystery. The hero and the heroine join forces to solve the mystery. The anime is rather disturbing though.

Old 2012-08-16, 14:04   Link #15
zarqu
Stüldt Hĺjt!

Even if you dislike feudal Japan you should still watch Shigurui. The series is so introspective that the background doesn't matter. Same with Texhnolyze. As far as "dark" anime is concerned (and there has been numerous threads like this in the past), those two are the best in that regard.

But anyways, I'm respecting your criteria, and I'll stop pushing Shigurui/Tex with this post
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 14:16   Link #16
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
I am glad you like my suggestions. Anyway, I forgot to mention two more animes. I am not sure if you will like it, but I will just say it. Give Dantalian no Shoka a try.It's a combination of fantasy+mystery. Also, Denpa teki na Kanojo. It's an OVA. This OVA is extremely dark, and plenty of gore. The animation is also excellent. I think this is one anime you will surely enjoy. Each episode features a different mystery. The hero and the heroine join forces to solve the mystery. The anime is rather disturbing though.
I've already watched Denpa Teki (or at least, i watched the two episodes that got released at the time: are there more? I kinda liked that weird girl)

@ Zargu: ok, i'll give them a try when i'm the mood.
Old 2012-08-16, 15:32   Link #17
VampirePaladin

Witch Hunter Robin - An organization hunts down witches when they become a threat to the general public. The Japanese branch is getting a new craft user. Unlike all the other branches they capture the witch instead of kill him/her. They also have this mysterious liquid in pendants that can protect them from some witch's magic. The main character is female, but the male lead is pretty much exactly what you asked for.

Le Chevalier d'Eon - A historical anime set in Europe. A young French knight pursues the Psalms as he looks for the person that murdered his sister. In his journey he works with his old sword teacher, the queen's page, a secret agent and the soul of his sister.

Dantalian no Shoka - Hugh inherits a library and also discovers her has inherited Dalian, the black Biblioprincess. They stop demon books that are causing problems and if need be they fix the problem or stop the owner.
VampirePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 15:53   Link #18
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
I've already watched Denpa Teki (or at least, i watched the two episodes that got released at the time: are there more? I kinda liked that weird girl)

@ Zargu: ok, i'll give them a try when i'm the mood.
Nope, only two. The studio animated the first and the third novel, skipping the second novel because apparently, the plot is disturbing (organ trafficking)

Old 2012-08-16, 17:20   Link #19
Dawnstorm

@UN-GO: There's a TV series, and an "episode 0", which might have been a cinema release in Japan or an OVA, I can't remember. You must find the episode 0 - it's the highlight of the series, IMO; for maximum impact, watch the TV-series first.

@Blue Exorcist: Pretty standard shounen fair; it's not bad, but I'm afraid if you watch it, expecting darkness you might be unfairly disappointed. It's not entirely absent, but the core is your standard shounen work-hard-to-protect stuff. If you accept that, you'll probably be entertained by the show.

@Zetsubou Sensei: Oh, please, please, please watch this.

And adding something of my own:

Shigofumi: I'm adding this because you may be put off by the character design of the main character. The show also has annoying talking staves (the most annoying mascots in anime history, if you ask me). But once you look past that you have one of the darkest shows I've ever seen. The show's split in two: episodes of the main character bringing letters from the dead to the living (this part is extremely disturbing, mostly because she delivers the letter with no emotion whatsoever; sometimes it's good, but when it's bad... *shivers*); and the main character's back story (utterly demented). Get yourself pretzel sticks, and break one whenever the annoying staves make a sound. Do that, and you've got a winner on hand.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 17:24   Link #20
Gomenasai
The Poster-guy

Monster
Rainbow
Gomenasai is offline   Reply With Quote