AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-01-29, 18:52   Link #1
SurfD

Send a message via ICQ to SurfD Send a message via MSN to SurfD
File still in use (XP wont gimmie back my file access)

Been using XP for a while now, and every so often I get a really REALLY annoying error when managing my anime episodes.

For some strange reason, once in a blue moon, XP will latch on to an episode I have just played, and won't for the life of it let go of it so I can move/delete the file.
It just consistantly presents me with an error message telling me it is 'In use by another user or application" and requests I close any application that may be using the file.
Problem is, I can CTRL-ALT-DEL and kill nearly everything that is running and it still wont release the file. Scandisk doesent find anything wrong. Hell, I can REBOOT the bloody machine and it still says the file is being used by something when the system comes back up.

So far, the only cure I have found for this is to reboot into 98se (dual OS setup) and delete the file from there (the reason I want to fix this is because if it happens to a file on an NTFS partition, the only recourse I have is to move everything off it and format the partition to recover the space taken up by that file, which is rather inconvenient when dealing with 20 gig partitions.)

Anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this and how to fix it?
(for reference, I have a virus scanner installed and all windows updates processed, so it isnt that)
SurfD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 19:27   Link #2
JustAnotherFan
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

The reason is that some XP windows preview crashes while loading large or incomplete AVIs and it keeps the file locked.

You need to tweak your registry to stop that:

Remove or disable (for example put - in before the "{" ) that key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}

Needs a reboot after that.

I removed this key and didn't have the "can't delete" anymore since.

Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious probems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own risk.
JustAnotherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 19:53   Link #3
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quick questions. Will this fix stop XP from previewing AVIs or will it keep it from locking the file after it crashes? If it prevent AVIs from being previewed, will it also stop other sorts of files from previewing.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 20:23   Link #4
JustAnotherFan
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

AFAIK it doesn't stop displaying the previews, but it won't generate new previews for AVIs anymore. I think they are rather useless for movies anyway.

As the buggy process doesn't start after that change, it can't crash, and thus won't keep a lock on the file, so no problems with deleting anymore

I only saw registry-pointer to this key from .avi entries, so it should only affect AVIs.
JustAnotherFan is offline   Reply With Quote