AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 24 Rating
Perfect 10 93 42.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 23.04%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 10.14%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 7.83%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 3.23%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.92%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 2.30%
3 out of 10 : Bad 5 2.30%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 4 1.84%
1 out of 10 : Painful 12 5.53%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-19, 12:30   Link #161
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man0warr View Post
It follows the novels pretty closely, too closely almost - which leads to alot of exposition, which is also kind of evident in the novels, there are alot of characters and organizations that pop up and get explained on the fly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRMN View Post
Yeah, the issues with Index stem from the source material, honestly. The upcoming adaptation of the Toaru Kagaku no Railgun manga should be interesting, since that's really far better. (Doesn't hurt that Mikoto is a far, far better character than Index ever was, and that Touma is much better as a not preachy secondary character. ^^;; )
Thanks for letting me know. Now I will avoid picking up the novels.

Quote:
Anyways...
Minorin's "Giant Saraba" is a parody from Kakugo no Susume.
I didn't catch that one, I've never read Kakugo.
I kind of liked that part. Kansetsu kisu.

Quote:
"The male partner must be 18 years of age or older and the female partner must be 16 years of age or older."

You can't marry without your parents approval because you have to be 20 to create a family registry of your own. So when you marry you are included in one of your Family's registry, either the boy's or the girl's.
Unlike in the USA, only by registering you become legaly married and any ceremony has not legal concequences. So leaving someone at the altar is not big deal if you had already registered earlier.
But it the case where they enter into one of their family's registry, don't they still need permission? As far as I know they would.
Old 2009-03-19, 12:35   Link #162
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Ami forces Ryuji to make a cool confession that he likes Taiga, meaning she can now officially move on. She seems to take it perfectly well. Not so for Minorin, who's been holding back until Ryuji and Taiga are out of sight and earshot before breaking down. Poor girl. At least these two make a great yuri couple will become good friends from now on.
I kind was sniffing when Minorin kissed the spot in her first where she touched Ryuji's lip. I was surprised when she broke down in front of Ami.
Old 2009-03-19, 12:42   Link #163
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
What annoys me is the whole culture that seems to encourage this sort of speak-before-thinking attitude, and acts like because they have an opinion about something there must absolutely be a flaw in whatever they're criticizing simply because they don't like it. That's nonsense. No blogger or forum poster is going to convince me, just by the virtue of their having an opinion, that they know more about good writing than the actual people who wrote the show. I guess it's sort of the old "everyone's a critic" bit, except that it doesn't help when those people are also both arrogant and ignorant. In general, I would love to see less outrage and more reasoned analysis, but clearly this isn't the way to feed one's ego online. People just want to be told "you're right, that was so totally stupid and wrong, and it's the show's fault for being poor!" rather than "the show may be just fine; maybe you should watch it again to pick up on all the things you missed the first time and think about it". More often than not, the problem is the latter and not the former. Anyway, pipe dreams...
This paragraph deserves all the positive reps I can ever give you, for you have just described the phenomenon found in almost every other internet forum, whether the discussion is about anime, science fiction, drama, football, politics, schools, etc.

Sure, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but they're going to have to realize that every opinion, including my own, would be subject to scrutiny of anyone and everyone. The less "reasonable" you are, the more you're going to find yourself stuck in mud.

Quote:
I kind was sniffing when Minorin kissed the spot in her first where she touched Ryuji's lip. I was surprised when she broke down in front of Ami.
Aye, that little bit was executed perfectly. Minorin's final indirect kiss to Ryuji, her way of saying goodbye to her hopes of ever being with Ryuji.
Old 2009-03-19, 13:10   Link #164
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
**cough**Kanon 2006**cough**

i watched it in rather poor streaming quality so maybe thats why it didn't stand out.
Old 2009-03-19, 13:26   Link #165
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
There were some parts in this episode that I thought were pretty good though.
Since a couple people have also mentioned the Minori indirect kiss (kansetsu kisu) as being handled well, I guess I'll go ahead and finish this thought I posted after watching the episode. I may accidently leave out some. So here are the parts that I thought were handled nicely this episode.

- Minori's kansetsu kisu
- Ami's confirmation of Ryuji's feelings for Taiga
- When Taiga went to the cake store and ran into Ryuji (all except for Ryuji’s answer at the end, although it was fitting of his character)
- Minori's breakdown with Ami there

To a lesser extent
- Taiga and Ryuji's conversation on the bridge before the suicide bit came up
- Taiga and Ryuji on the train with their elopement rations
- Ryuji introducing himself and Taiga to his grandparents.

I think I got them all. Listing the problems isn't as fun so I don't think I’ll do it. I'll just note again though, on a whole I had some problems with this episode.
Old 2009-03-19, 13:37   Link #166
othera

eep, how long do the subs normally take? :/
Old 2009-03-19, 13:44   Link #167
typhonsentra

The earliest you should check is early evening tonight. It might not show up until tomorrow morning though.
Old 2009-03-19, 14:04   Link #168
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by othera View Post
eep, how long do the subs normally take? :/
Also be aware it is college finals week for many colleges -- if any of the team has finals, one should hope they are giving priority to those.
Old 2009-03-19, 14:33   Link #169
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Ok according to Wikipedia. Japanese law states that If a man is over the age of 18 and a woman is over the age of 16 they can marry with one parents' signature.

so if he could have talked his mom into it it would have been okay. Ya-chan said before that she wanted them to marry so maybe he thought he can go tell his mom sorry and use the marriage as an ice breaker.

or maybe he was just gonna steal his mom's seal and use it to fill out the paperwork?
Old 2009-03-19, 14:34   Link #170
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
So...back onto the episode itself...
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2009-03-19, 15:38   Link #171
leonard267

I must ask:
What are the contents of Yasuko's letter to Ryuuji in this episode?
What were the reasons for both Taiga and Ryuuji to elope?

Spoiler:
Old 2009-03-19, 15:46   Link #172
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
So...back onto the episode itself...
Well I think we all pretty much saw the Taiga x Ryuuji pairing from god knows how long away but ultimately their choice of action proves to be utterly ridiculous (and reading through the whole tread, no, it has nothing to do with me not being able to connect the dots). I mean I don't really approve of this rebellious "running away from home with your lover" phase, which may very well be common in the real world, in general and this includes being in anime form. It isn't like they both had a good reason to run away (I might reconsider otherwise if child abuse was a problem) so what they did here falls into the "naive" category.
Which is the preciously the point. You are not suppose to approve of them running away and they are suppose to appear naive in their decision to do so. You seem to be mixing up two completely different parts of the plot and criticize them as one: 1) the plot point of the Ryuji X Taiga pairing - which for all intent and purpose is laid out extremely well for the entire series, and 2) their decision to run away from home, which is suppose to feel abrupt, naive and irrational. The characters *inside* the story don't approve point 2 (such as Minorin), so I can't see how Ryuji/Taiga being naive here can be counted as anything *but* intentional on the writers' part.

Quote:
I mean since when did Taiga have a mother .
We've knew that since two episodes ago when they specifically said Taiga was picked up by her mum after the accident at the mountain. The reason for the writing to keep it a secret was because it is another bombshell in Taiga's life - Taiga was faking her happiness with her mum so that Ryuji won't worry about her (refer back to two episodes ago when she come back and talked with Ryuji about how she was spending good times with her mum), but in reality her relationship with her mum was about as good as that with her dad.

Quote:
For Taiga though...sheesh I do wish they would make her reasons for raging like that a bit more clear since I find it hard to empathsise with her argument as she is coming across as being someone who is just sulking
Did you actually understood any of the dialogue she said about her family?
1) We already knew her dad is a bastard. The problem now is his business failed and he went bankrupt, so he ran.
2) Taiga's mum already re-married and is pregant with a child with her new husband. The only reason she took Taiga back was due to (1) when Taiga got into the accident and she's still legally Taiga's guardian.

I think that's plenty of clearly defined reasons to rage if that's how your parents treat you - as a burden that's tossed between the father and the mother.
Old 2009-03-19, 15:50   Link #173
Janifuu
緩和

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard267
I think I understand why some rated this episode as "painful". It is so good that it is actually painful.
I highly doubt that that would be the reason why the "usual" people gave the episode a 1 rating I do agree though~ this episode was so good, it hurt.
Old 2009-03-19, 16:10   Link #174
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janifuu View Post
I highly doubt that that would be the reason why the "usual" people gave the episode a 1 rating I do agree though~ this episode was so good, it hurt.
I ate an orange today,
But it was still sour, so I cried.
Because it's unlike me to leave any behind,
I ate it all.
I loved it; I felt like crying.
I loved it, I loved.
Old 2009-03-19, 16:13   Link #175
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

My close friend thought this was the most disappointing episode of Toradora. We were both expecting a lot, and Toradora has been quite consistent. Well, I trust her opinions, and I've been disappointed with Toradora the past week as well, so ...

There's always Spice and Wolf II coming this year.
Old 2009-03-19, 16:22   Link #176
Toreno
すごい!

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
My close friend thought this was the most disappointing episode of Toradora. We were both expecting a lot, and Toradora has been quite consistent. Well, I trust her opinions, and I've been disappointed with Toradora the past week as well, so ...

If Spice and Wolf is so much better than Toradora why are you still here then? You already said that a hundred times...
Old 2009-03-19, 16:24   Link #177
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janifuu View Post
It's funny the shippers might've taken it harder than the characters in the show.

Something that was interesting in how both girls (Ami and Minori) dealt with asking Takasu about how he felt about Taiga (I don't know if it's been mentioned yet) differently:

Minori stopped asking after a simple one syllable response to her question. He tried the same thing with Ami she kept pressing for him further.
Old 2009-03-19, 16:44   Link #178
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreno View Post
If Spice and Wolf is so much better than Toradora why are you still here then? You already said that a hundred times...
Because I'm free to discuss the show, as you are.

Has anyone else found the recent episodes of Toradora to be quite disappointing as well? I do know it's not just me, since my friends have noticed the waning quality of the series near its ending. (She's Japanese, by the way, so she understands fully even without subtitles.)
Old 2009-03-19, 16:45   Link #179
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:

What was disappointing in it? it finally tied up alot of loose ends between Ryuji and taiga, ami and minori. between ami and minori and between taiga and ami.

thats what I have been wanting for the last few episodes so I thought that was nice.

seems like lotsa peoples gots lotsa problems with this episode though

maybe im just easily amused.
Old 2009-03-19, 16:51   Link #180
Janifuu
緩和

Quote:
Has anyone else found the recent episodes of Toradora to be quite disappointing as well? I do know it's not just me, since my friends have noticed the waning quality of the series near its ending. (She's Japanese, by the way, so she understands fully even without subtitles.)
In what way has the quality been waning? And in what way do you find it disappointing?
Closed Thread