Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-03, 16:04   Link #781
Envy
Band Nerd ♥
*Graphic Designer

Two series which probably aren't overrated in the grand scheme of things but I see people rave on and on about on the internet that I just can't understand the love for are Katekyo Hitman REBORN! and Gintama.

Katekyo Hitman REBORN! is certainly not a bad series, it's just that in the end it's just another generic Shounen series. There isn't much of anything to set itself apart from the rest. Plus it comes off as overly cheesy at times. To make things worse, it has some incredibly annoying characters, and when you think that they'll be gone, they're back anyway!

I'm also not a big fan of the artstyle of KHR! but I can let that slide.

Gintama? Well admittedly I haven't seen too much of the series, but the reason for that is simply that it has no real over arching story that I can see. If there is one, somebody please tell me. Otherwise it's kind of like a Japanese equivalent of Family Guy. Unfortunately it also takes the total hit or miss humor that Family Guy has.

People say that Gintama is gut bustingly funny, but it really hasn't made me laugh anymore than an average anime series... And sadly, seeing as it relies way too heavily on the success of that humor, there is nothing to keep me coming back and watching each new episode.

“The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.”

Last edited by Envy; 2009-12-03 at 16:22.
Old 2009-12-03, 16:18   Link #782
Edaniel
I fought the law

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (spelled right?)

I don't know, it was too disjointed for me. I guess I'm one of those people that didn't "get" it. Same with Evangelion.
Old 2009-12-03, 17:04   Link #783
Abyssinian

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Old 2009-12-03, 18:09   Link #784
Oppius
Banned

Some so-called "old school" shows like Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Hokuto no Ken. Fans of these shows claiming post -2000 shows are filled with moecrap but that just unfair. What if those shows were made today? These shows are far from crap but far from masterpiece either. But at least they were right that some newer shows are crap too, like School Days for example.

Finally I found someone who agree with me on Gintama. I hardly ever laugh when watching it. Even if I did laughed, I just want to make my sister happy, who is a big of of that show. I don't know how this show can be popular but I think it's a few bishounen shows that made by men than traditional women. Its a one show that I never part of it rather than hated it.

Those never-ending shounen shows like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and Hitman Reborn. I don't think I need to explain it anyway.
Old 2009-12-04, 04:22   Link #785
ginytah

bakemonogatari, I don't hate it but it's overrated and there's something about the story I didn'y like.
Old 2009-12-04, 05:25   Link #786
Nemesis

^
Sorta agree with you on that one, i admit the dialogue is unique, but it takes damn long just to get to the point on things.

And i dont get what's unique about Senjōgahara.She's just a little odd on her behavior from the typical female lead charcter.
Old 2009-12-04, 05:48   Link #787
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Here's a few:

K-on - Just another "moeblob" show, and there's better ones out there like Minami-ke.

Elfen Lied - Now I didn't mind the gore/violence, but I found the romance/drama in it unnecessary. And the main male protagonist was a fail character.

Claymore - The only good arc was the Teresa arc. The rest of the anime was pretty meh. The end 3 episodes were horrible. Raki is a fail character.

Gundam 00 - Politics, emo, more politics, more emo. The most "emo" mecha show after Neon Genesis Evangelion. I haven't watched Gundam Destiny, but I hear the emo level in that is worse...

Lovely Complex - Has the dumbest, most brick-headed male protagonist I have seen. Took more than 18 episodes for the main couple to get things going.

Seto No Hayanome - Over the top slapstick comedy + immature love triangle . FMP Fomuffu but 10x worse. I actually didn't mind Fomuffu but the ridiculousness in this went too far.

I'm going to refrain from saying any of the above series are "overrated" because overrated is a subjective term. What's overrated for one person is not for another. I'd say something is the least overrated when there's the least number of people complaining about it. Popular series are always prone to attack these days, including me which I do my fair share, but I do have reasons other than "because it's popular" :P.
Old 2009-12-04, 11:29   Link #788
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

K-on - Just didn't have much to it in my opinion and had too many "been there done that" kind of moments that reminded me of many other slice of life series. I guess I'm saying there wasnt enough variety. Also the character were not at all intriguing to me aside from Mio. I do really love the songs for the show though.
Old 2009-12-05, 02:16   Link #789
lubczyk

Ikkitousen. Even for a fanservice series. I find it terrible, but it seems quite popular on the internet. Look, I'll sometimes watch a fanservice anime since it has humor involved, but this series is either way over the top or it takes itself too seriously.

Same with Tenjho Tenge. It takes itself way too seriously for a shonen/fanservice fighting anime. People keep talking about all it's hidden "depth."

On the old-school side: Akira. I don't see what all the fuss is about. "This is supposed to be a classic?"
Old 2009-12-06, 16:03   Link #790
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Kuroshitsuji - I can't say I HATE it, but it bored the crap out of me. I didn't watch past episode 2.

Lucky*Star - Again, I didn't HATE it, but I think it garners too much attention. Yes, it has its hilarious moments, but a ton of the show is absolute nothingness. Just meaningless conversation that I would rather not sit through. I finished it, but came out with mixed feelings about it. Again, no offense if you guys liked it, it just wasn't my cup o' tea.

Seitokai no Ichizon - Same as Lucky Star. I understand the references they make during the show, but it just isn't funny. I kept expecting there to be a plot somewhere, or even a real show, but all it shows is a parody of itself. I suppose that's supposed to be humorous, but I was just not entertained in the least. I watched a few episodes then dropped it.

Note: I seem to not find slice-of-life comedies funny for some reason. I have no idea why.

One Piece - Sorry, I've always hated this anime and I always will. If it's not the juvenile art style, then it's the plotlines that are even more contrived than those of Bleach, Naruto, and DBZ. And that's saying something right there. I'm usually pretty generous with anime, and I'm especially a fan of shounen series, but I just didn't find anything good to say about it. The characters are obnoxious and annoying, and the villians go way beyond the suspension of disbelief spectrum I can tolerate. Yeah, I suffered through the first season just so I can say I saw it, but if the very first season of an anime didn't even seem okay, then the subsequent ones can't be good, either.
Old 2009-12-06, 16:28   Link #791
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adr 00 View Post
^
Sorta agree with you on that one, i admit the dialogue is unique, but it takes damn long just to get to the point on things.

And i dont get what's unique about Senjōgahara.She's just a little odd on her behavior from the typical female lead charcter.
Agreed. I'll also add Clannad, Code Geass R2, and Gundam 00.

Old 2009-12-06, 22:20   Link #792
Chocolate Pocky

Naruto. I don't get how these ninja dudes and chicks are that exciting.
Old 2009-12-07, 00:29   Link #793
xxangelchanxx
>:3

Send a message via MSN to xxangelchanxx
Bakemonogatari,Hate is a strong word and i won't go that far but hell this show is so overrated.

I'm still not seeing whats so great about it and every time Hitagi was not in the scene it was really boring.
Old 2009-12-07, 02:54   Link #794
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

Strike Witches, Lucky Star, K-On

I really cant stand these three popular "moe" shows.

Their primary feature is usually on how "cute" the characters are: there is no captivating story, nor gut busting comedy. That said, I do like moe series like azumanga, pani poni dash, and haruhi suzumiya.

Quote:
Bakemonogatari,Hate is a strong word and i won't go that far but hell this show is so overrated.

I'm still not seeing whats so great about it and every time Hitagi was not in the scene it was really boring.
Agreed, I also think its a little over rated, but i still liked it nonetheless. Half of the show was a little uninteresting(monkey/snail arc.). Thankfully though, Hitagi random appearances and antics made it worth the watch.

People did made it seem like it was the next best thing to Code Geass.
Old 2009-12-07, 14:53   Link #795
Vampire
Birth by Moonlight

Send a message via MSN to Vampire
Katekyo Hitman REBORN! It was interesting how the gag manga transformed into battle and it's gotten to it's peak during the vongola ring arc. Then everything went way down hill: all the everyone are bishie, explanations for powers are ridiculous, overuse of some techniques, all their sudden powerups reminds me of power rangers(even the stupid "pets" are adorable, WTF), some plot points were either cliche or not important, too much flames and can't the author make something else? I can type a whole list of flaws but I'm too tired from work.
Old 2009-12-07, 15:49   Link #796
Kirarakim

I really disliked Air mainly for its depiction of weak female characters. I also watched a few episodes of Kanon and had the same issues. So I guess I am not a big fan of the Key adaptions which many other people seem to love.
Old 2009-12-07, 16:04   Link #797
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I really disliked Air mainly for its depiction of weak female characters. I also watched a few episodes of Kanon and had the same issues. So I guess I am not a big fan of the Key adaptions which many other people seem to love.
I agree with you abot Key adaptations and the portrayal of female characters.

But I sort of could forgive it with AIR because it seemed more tied into the story somehow, I don't know.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2009-12-07, 16:56   Link #798
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Naruto bothers me a great deal as of late. I do not hate the franchise as a whole, but the direction it has been taking for the past few years has been genuinely disappointing. Now, I've seen some people take their gripes too far and say that they wish Naruto had been a more accurate treatment of ninja and they blame the franchise for a lot of the cracked out conceptions of what ninja were/are that are popular these days. I feel that's unfair: even without Naruto around, we have enough cinema pouring in from every direction feeding us misinformation in that regard. I do, however, believe that the power scale of the franchise has inflated in a ridiculous fashion. I felt like they occupied a pretty happy space back during the Land of Waves/Chuunin Tournament Arcs where the elite of the elite were jounin on Kakashi or Zabuza's level, and then you could count on your hands the number of people appreciably more dangerous than that. The combat was more tactical and believable back then.

My biggest gripe with Naruto, however, would be the way the story has been derailed over and over again. It's just a question of directing your readers' expectations. The beginning content of the story did not set out to tell some mythic-scale story about world wars and ancient demons. It gave us Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura and promised us that we'd be watching them grow up together, and in particular exploring the way the bonds of friendship/family/love could heal the two scarred souls of Naruto and Sasuke. Everything else was supposed to just be a vehicle for that. You can say that, ostensibly, that is still the driving aim of the story, but it has been so protracted and muddled with all this Akatsuki/Uchiha History/World War/Sage of Six Paths crap that it's not even worth bothering with anymore. I'm at a point where I'm keeping current with the manga just for the sake of completion. I can't wait for it to be over.
Old 2009-12-07, 17:58   Link #799
Oppius
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
.......people......actually say that?

I just read a blog on all the SD episodes......and I'd call it the "worst harem show ever made"........except that special place is reserved for Love Love.

But yeah, School Days is pretty bad. The only good thing about it was
Spoiler:

And even THAT is tragic because of her state of mind. I wanted to cry for her....and I didn't even actually watch the anime!!
Not just the ending but I think School Days is a pretty f*cked-up show and that's why people love it. Before its ending there is "sex scene of the week" which I hate most.

School Days was thrashed by Japanese critics but that doesn't stop it being liked by most non-Japanese people, especially 4chan. Unfortunately 4chan members are the most active people on the internet and you can see them here, any other popular anime forums and even in Yahoo! answers. These people are more childish than the most devout Narutard. They will beat you to death(in internet sense) if you bash School Days.

Another anime that I hate but have large fanbase for similar reason is Higurashi series and its spin-off Umineko. While they are much much better than School Days by comparison but that still did not save it from my wrath.
Old 2009-12-07, 21:28   Link #800
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edaniel View Post
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (spelled right?)

I don't know, it was too disjointed for me. I guess I'm one of those people that didn't "get" it. Same with Evangelion.
I haven't seen Higurashi nor do I want, I dislike cause the genre of it is really, since I find it way too fucking creepy, and gore heavy for me[I can take some gore but when you set-up a series like that no]. And While I got Evangelion sorta when I finished it I really didn't get what the big deal was about the show, it wasn't awful, but didn't really amaze me either, so not so much hate as found over hyped, and unnecessarily confusing plot.
Also FCLC few people marked as one of top of the decade and made me just go wut? I didn't find the show very funny overall, and the plot made even less sense than evangelion and that's saying something. It's honestly one of the few shows I didn't really enjoy watching at all, so it's the only series atm that I am willing to say I've watched, and hated.
MAL
Closed Thread