Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-03, 17:11   Link #1001
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

^

According to your own definition, the first are ALSO overrated, at least I'm really certain SH, CG and various Gundam DO fall into what you call overrated (besides being overhyped, too).

So, what's the point of distinguishing when most of the overhyped are part of the overrated or vice versa?
Old 2009-06-03, 17:22   Link #1002
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

To me this is the key

If the domain of this argument and its preponderance exists within the confines of animesuki.com than it is fair to use whatever evidence is provided within animesuki.com to judge...For an old personal example, I couldn’t sleep at night going into the Shuffle thread hearing 90% of the fanbase say how uber it is when I found it to be one of the worst harem animes I ever watched…Therefore there must be a thread that gives posters a venting mechanism against the perceived and not-so perceived waves of fan hype//valid opinion over any particular show…

This thread is 50 pages strong, over 1000 comments thick, atleast 5 years old; that oughtta tell you people have always had a passion for discussing the merits of overrated vs. underrated…Sure most if not all of it is subjective (Hell what isn’t), but I think this thread serves as much if not more of a purpose as the Moe vs. Loli Character Tournaments each year, LMAO…

To hear members passionately diss, defend, and protect anime that they love, hate, or feel is being mistreated is indeed a productive thing…To what end you’ll have to decide, but the endgame point of this thread lies in the influence of what to watch, and what members think are worthy of others to watch (This sparks DISCUSSION)…Hurt feelings from your fav show being shafted aside, anyone with a good level of self-awareness should be able to navigate this point and diss, defend, love, or hate effectively, if not passionately…

For this to take place, a thread that encompasses this, simply must exist...
Old 2009-06-03, 17:49   Link #1003
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Over time as more of these subjective opinions appear, you'll see that the words 'overrated', 'overhyped', 'underrated' and such are very much misused, the existance of these words do not matter at all.

When alot of people like something and someone doesn't, he cries overrated. The opposite happens when someone likes something everyone seem to dislike and cry underrated. Do the words overrated and underrated actually mean what they really mean?

There seems to be no real meaning in these words if its completely subjective and up to personal opinion.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-06-03, 18:31   Link #1004
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
To me this is the key

If the domain of this argument and its preponderance exists within the confines of animesuki.com than it is fair to use whatever evidence is provided within animesuki.com to judge...For an old personal example, I couldn’t sleep at night going into the Shuffle thread hearing 90% of the fanbase say how uber it is when I found it to be one of the worst harem animes I ever watched…Therefore there must be a thread that gives posters a venting mechanism against the perceived and not-so perceived waves of fan hype//valid opinion over any particular show…
Yep, it's only right that people be exposed to both sides of a story to form a stronger opinion about things. If we all agreed about everything, that'd be boring.

Quote:
To hear members passionately diss, defend, and protect anime that they love, hate, or feel is being mistreated is indeed a productive thing…To what end you’ll have to decide, but the endgame point of this thread lies in the influence of what to watch, and what members think are worthy of others to watch (This sparks DISCUSSION)…Hurt feelings from your fav show being shafted aside, anyone with a good level of self-awareness should be able to navigate this point and diss, defend, love, or hate effectively, if not passionately…
No one opinion is "right", but valid reasoning can help support an opinion and make it stronger. If I hate an anime but am unable to respond to "well this and that was well very done" then I may be forced to reconsider.
Old 2009-06-03, 18:31   Link #1005
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Do the words overrated and underrated actually mean what they really mean?

It's contextual, it's case by case, it has to be navigated...But you can't put an umbrella over the purpose of any examination just because of it's variables...Your impression of people misusing these words are just as subjective as the meaning behind them...The guy who just WTFBBQ disses something will get a response just as the thoughtful, meaningful disser will get a response...I don't see the problem with this thread that can't be solved by our own volition...Those who want to engage in a less sophisticated discussion can only have that right in a thread that examines the point of overratedness...In-turn, the same can be said for posters like me and you who tend to be more analytical in nature...Let the posters decide who they want to engage I say, then soon enuff we'll have another spirited debate over what overrated really is^^ (as is littered on so many of these pages, yet the beat goes on)...
Old 2009-06-03, 18:38   Link #1006
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Over time as more of these subjective opinions appear, you'll see that the words 'overrated', 'overhyped', 'underrated' and such are very much misused, the existance of these words do not matter at all.

When alot of people like something and someone doesn't, he cries overrated. The opposite happens when someone likes something everyone seem to dislike and cry underrated. Do the words overrated and underrated actually mean what they really mean?

There seems to be no real meaning in these words if its completely subjective and up to personal opinion.
Oh, but they ARE subjective, they have always been in the first place. They have uses though. The need of the use of "overrated" arises when the majority tries to turn a subjective opinion like, say, "SHnY is a masterpiece of legendary proportions and Haruhi is God" into an objective element, a universal rule, by right of the majority, more so when we see totally ridiculous behaviors appearing in defense to this notion, the dreaded Series-tards.

A part of the "overrated/overhyped" movement is retaliation/reflex to the -tard phenomenon, call them anti -tards if you will. In this sense, it's the fans themselves that cause that part of the phenomenon to arise. The parenthesis here is that there can be -tards on the other side, too, making the whole issue totally ridiculous. Another part is in defense to the very notion that an opinion is still an opinion, and not a universal truth, while another points out what the majority chooses to ignore in its quest for objective dominance, which is the subjective -in whole or in part- nature of the strengths and flaws of a medium.

The fact is that the majority trolls the minorities so the minorities strike back. I haven't seen a case yet where the majority isn't trolling the minority and the minority retaliates nonetheless. From my perspective, the whole "overrated/overhyped" phenomenon isn't meant to be objective. It's there to make people aware of the simple fact that someone is going too far.

Before someone actually starts supporting the notion that there can be an objective rating of entertainment, I'll easily point out that for every good point of something, another one can find a flaw, as is always the case. After that, it's all a philosophical debate of what I believe art should be like, what I believe entertainment should be like, what do I place importance into (where do I find the strengths of something and how much do they weigh), what do I disregard as unimportant (which flaws that I find are important to me and which I believe are not) and of course the main issue of why I feel that this must be so.

My final point is that, while many things are subjective in the end when it comes to entertainment and art, when you see people crying out overrated, overhyped or underrated, perhaps it would be wiser to reflect back at what's wrong than blame the other side for being subjective.

Last edited by npal; 2009-06-03 at 19:13.
Old 2009-06-03, 18:39   Link #1007
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Let the posters decide who they want to engage I say, then soon enuff we'll have another spirited debate over what overrated really is^^ (as is littered on so many of these pages, yet the beat goes on)...
Alright then, we will meet next year on this thread again and review the topic once more

Overtime we may be able to see if anything comes out of this thread, whether we can see some form of change, whether there's really a pattern to people's views and opinions and such.

I think its my 2nd or 3rd time attending this AGM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
Before someone actually starts supporting the notion that there can be an objective rating of entertainment, I'll easily point out that for every good point of something, another one can find a flaw, as is always the case. After that, it's all a philosophical debate of what I believe art should be like, what I believe entertainment should be like, what do I place importance into (where do I find the strengths of something and how much do they weigh), what do I disregard as unimportant (which flaws that I find are important to me and which I believe are not) and of course the main issue of why I feel that this must be so.

My final point is that, while many things are subjective in the end when it comes to entertainment and art, when you see people crying out overrated, overhyped or underrated, perhaps it would be wiser to reflect back at what's wrong than blame the other side for being subjective.
While you're right that its always good to notice the flaws, but one enjoys a show because of their good points. Being able to let the good points outweight the bad points and enjoy something is what appreciation is about. When someone does just the opposite, he just becomes a critic who fails to appreciate.

Sometimes there's just this kind of audience who watches shows for flaws and discards shows because of flaws, they fail to see the goodpoints, which is what the show is about. A show tells a story, it usually doesn't use its bad points to tell that story. Unless its using its bad points for comedy and humour, which needs a sense of humour from the audience, an appreciation of humour.

My point here is, you don't watch a show for its flaws, you watch it for its good qualities. If a show just has something you don't like about it, but is loved by seemingly everyone else, the problem most likely lies with your own preference.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/

Last edited by C.A.; 2009-06-03 at 18:50.
Old 2009-06-03, 19:01   Link #1008
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
While you're right that its always good to notice the flaws, but one enjoys a show because of their good points. Being able to let the good points outweight the bad points and enjoy something is what appreciation is about. When someone does just the opposite, he just becomes a critic who fails to appreciate.

Sometimes there's just this kind of audience who watches shows for flaws and discards shows because of flaws, they fail to see the goodpoints, which is what the show is about. A show tells a story, it usually doesn't use its bad points to tell that story. Unless its using its bad points for comedy and humour, which needs a sense of humour from the audience, an appreciation of humour.

My point here is, you don't watch a show for its flaws, you watch it for its good qualities. If a show just has something you don't like about it, but is loved by seemingly everyone else, the problem most likely lies with your own preference.
And in the end you just chose to turn a blind eye to all my points... By the grace of the majority no less... I therefore rest my case and point you and everyone else back to my initial post for further reference and an answer to your points. No need to repost after all, I'd be spamming in the end. I'll do something nice and actually highlight the parts of the initial post that's a direct answer to your points. (Underline is for even greater emphasis). Here's the link to that post, too. Yes, I know it's just two posts away, but people should just take it as a precaution on my part.

Last edited by npal; 2009-06-03 at 19:12.
Old 2009-06-04, 23:59   Link #1009
Xander

Everything that people enjoy is already overrated or, most certainly, will be at some point.

All shows have objective flaws and virtues, but these are always interpreted through the eyes of subjective human beings with different interests, experiences, expectations, attention spans, tastes and preferences. Different people tend to reward those things that they enjoy and punish what they do not, in different ways, with completely distinct rationales.

Some opinions might be more basic and others might be more verbose, but that doesn't make them inherently inferior or superior, as long as they are backed by facts. Yet even then, what some people consider garbage might be normal for others, and one man's masterpiece might be another man's average work. Facts can also be interpreted quite differently.

The closest thing to objectivity would be the results of critical overlap, taking into account a sufficiently varied and qualified number of participants, as opposed to following either of the twin bandwagons of mass hype and mass backlash, but this is merely an abstract notion and rarely corresponds to what one will find here or in any other online website.

It's fun to see people say that show X is overrated while wearing an avatar corresponding to show Y, and then show Y gets named right afterwards. In that situation, who is supposed to be right? Both of them? None of them? Whoever agrees with my own opinion?

In short, it's relatively pointless to narrow this down, although it's interesting to read other opinions, all the same.
Old 2009-06-08, 08:13   Link #1010
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
My list in no particular order:

-Code Geass: I liked Season 1 better them R2. R2 seems too much rushed droping too much plot points and forgeting/ending then 1-2 episodes after. This don't stop Code Geass sub-fórum being almost as big as Naruto's, even being much shorter and new.

-K-ON!: I decided to check after seeing so much sigs/avatars. Not big deal. Probably my fault expecting more then a moe anime. I'm still watching anyway.

-Dragon Ball Z: I am guilt about this as well. I love this show (probably nostalgia), but the plot is almost non-existent and is a wast of good characters (by the end only a few is stil plot important). I am speaking about the "Z" part only, obviousily. Even thought they are technically the same thing, the "Z" is more well know and amost all merchandise is aboult it. Even the "Dragon Ball" being better.

-Naruto: Can't realy understand why is so popular. No, wait, I can (cool powers, fight and etcetera). But is hardly what I would call "good". I enjoy this tought.

-Suzumiya Haruhi: OK, I am very guilt about that. This show is easily my favorite show. However, I am not blind. I can see how the fanbase overreact aboult it. Everything with this kind of fanbase is overrated.

Last edited by Heatth; 2009-06-08 at 16:44.
Old 2009-06-08, 08:29   Link #1011
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
My list in no particular order:

-Code Geass: I liked Season 1 better them R2. R2 seems too much rushed droping too much plot points and forgeting/ending then 1-2 episodes after. This don't stop Code Geass sub-fórum being almost as big as Naruto's, even being much shorter and new.

-K-ON!: I decided to check after seeing so much sigs/avatars. Not big deal. Probably my fault expecting mure then a moe anime. I'm still watching anyway.

-Dragon Ball Z: I am guilt about this as well. I love this show (probably nostalgia), but the plot is almost non-existent and is a wast of good characters (by the end only a few is stil plot important). I am speaking about the "Z" part only, obviousily. Even thought they are technically the same thing, the "Z" is more well know and amost all merchandise is aboult it. Even the "Dragon Ball" being better.

-Naruto: Can't realy understand why is so popular. No, wait, I can (cool powers, fight and etcetera). But is hardly what I would call "good". I enjoy this tought.

-Suzumiya Haruhi: OK, I am very guilt about that. This show is easily my favorite show. However, I am not blind. I can see how the fanbase overreact aboult it. Everything with this kind of fanbase is overrated.
You, sir, earned the internets.
Old 2009-06-08, 10:44   Link #1012
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
I don't understand what you mean, sorry. English is not my first language. This is, also, my first year reading/posting in a international fórum, so I don't undestand most slangs. :/
Old 2009-06-08, 11:04   Link #1013
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Personally I think Haruhi Suzumiya and Cowboy Bebop seem to be overrated.

I had to try twice to watch Cowboy Bebop. I watched 6 episodes and then left it for ages becaused it seemed so episodic. I tried again months later and completed it without thinking that it was really that incredible.

For Haruhi Suzumiya, I really enjoyed it actually... but the fandom around the show is really crazy. I've not seen anything like it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
I don't understand what you mean, sorry. English is not my first language. This is, also, my first year reading/posting in a international fórum, so I don't undestand most slangs. :/
Heh, he's just saying that you said something really good. As a reward you are given 'the internets'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanDictionary.com
You Win the Internet
A Phrase ment to convey that you did something online very well. Whether it is making a really good website, making a good YTMND or pulling off an incredible move in an online video game.

"Wow that was awsome! You win the Internet!"
Old 2009-06-09, 10:00   Link #1014
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Heh, he's just saying that you said something really good. As a reward you are given 'the internets'.
Though in light of the recent debate they just had I would take that with a grain of salt
Old 2009-06-09, 10:14   Link #1015
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Though in light of the recent debate they just had I would take that with a grain of salt
LOL, how so? :P It's not often that I see actual fans understand what their favorite show is and what it's not. As you may have noticed already, hype tends to rub me the wrong way. Furthermore, the fact that some mentally challenged individual went on a negrepping spree on this page because we think some of his favorite shows are getting overhyped more than further proves my points.
Old 2009-06-09, 17:17   Link #1016
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
Furthermore, the fact that some mentally challenged individuals (1 every 2-3 pages) went on a negrepping spree on this page because we think some of his favorite shows are getting overhyped more than further proves my points.
Fixed.​​​​​
Old 2009-06-09, 17:19   Link #1017
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Fixed.​​​​​
Ah... True, I should have known that thing happens all the time...
Old 2009-06-10, 16:18   Link #1018
Xander

More than a matter of understanding, I still think it's a matter of perception and what people actually want to take away from any given show.

I've already provided my two cents on the issue in general, but while people who blindly praise or, since there is another side of the coin, blindly hate something make a lot more noise...it's not that hard to find people who are critical of series they like. Perhaps it's actually slightly harder, relatively speaking, to find people who can recognize positive aspects in shows they dislike, but those exist as well.

For example, some people may argue that Naruto, a series I haven't read or watched myself so this is only hypothetical, doesn't have any real character development, but I imagine there are fans who may think otherwise and could present arguments about how the characters have changed. Or some might say that the plot is actually getting somewhere (even if takes years to do so), while others reply that it's just another case of the same old shounen fighting formula. Maybe one of the two sides is right, but maybe there's a bit of truth to both statements too.

The point is: I'd say most people's opinions tend to be somewhere around the middle. What makes a difference is who cares enough, in a positive or negative way, to post their thoughts online or even, since the topic is about overrated series, wants to spend time voting on polls and giving ratings. It's therefore easier to find the die-hard fans and die-hard critics, but theoretically speaking, they aren't really supposed to be fully representative of the majority of viewers. Admittedly, this may vary on a case by case basis, but we don't really have enough information to say for sure.
Old 2009-06-18, 13:07   Link #1019
Kurai~

Trinity Blood - Oh yay, more crap about vampires. Hellsing did it right. And only Hellsing.

Full Metal Alchemist - What is so special about this? I watched every episode. Subbed. It wasn't bad by any means, but it certainly doesn't deserve to be ranked among the best.

Haruhi Suzumiya - It was fun, yes. But it wasn't extraordinary.

Death Note - No, it does not make you think. It is also boring.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Pretentious crap.

I am not gonna go into any long detailed explanations, because others have already done so.
Old 2009-12-10, 20:48   Link #1020
Oppius
Banned

Any shoujo that aimed towards older girls(15 and up) like Ouran and Skip Beat are overrated trash.
Closed Thread