Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-02, 21:57   Link #1
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

Looking for something specific...

I'm looking for anime like Full Metal Panic! and Spice and Wolf, among others. What do they have in common? They're both series with a male/female pairing as main characters. Their relationship is close friendship bordering (and sometimes crossing into) romantic, but it's usually their other obligations to each other that are the main focus of the plot.

Full Metal Panic! has Chidori and Sagara.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_act
Their relationship plays this to a new extreme. Sagara is so straight as the socially-retarded war vet that he's actually the comic, while Chidori is the feed. Hilarity ensues, but it also throws a wrench into things as they develop feelings for each other. The first season was fun, but the second was my favorite. I haven't seen the third season to this yet; maybe that's where I should start...

Spice and Wolf has Horo and Lawrence. She's a confident, flirty, and very girl/wolf spirit who knows exactly what being female entitles her, and he's a laid-back almost-as-smart guy who can keep up with her and her antics most of the time. The plot was fun for a math-oriented person like me, but it was their little interactions and flirtations made the series for me (the Episode 7 OVA was my favorite). They say they stay together for business reasons, though.

I don't think I've ever looked for this specifically. I just noticed recently that I tend to remember relationships more than plot when it comes to anime, so I'm giving it a shot.

Feel free to rattle off any that you think qualifies.
Old 2008-08-02, 22:38   Link #2
jedinat

Watch Crest of the Stars. It is heavily focused on such a pairing.
Old 2008-08-03, 00:49   Link #3
Arkuatic

Kara no Kyoukai-Multi movies that all link to one plot; their relationship borders a couple to a degree

Air TV/in Summer-Air in t he Summer goes into depths of the ministory behind the wings in Air TV but it does have the "couple" bordering romance with obligations to each other

Chrno Crusade-Chrno loves Rose and vice versa but their love comes at a heavy price, due to the fact chrno is a demon contracted by rose; every dosage of power chrno uses it consumes rose's life force.

Clannad-however tomoya looks at it, he is only attempting to help Nagisa with her goals but falling in love was unintentional(similar to lawrence's intentions of helping horo but as the journey progresses so does their feelings towards each other)

Fate/Stay Night-the battle for the holy grail, desires of saber but not of Shirou. Shirou is caring and that gives a motive for other people to take advantage of him however it becomes strange when he gains a servant(saber) who is doing the fights for him. Though their ideas and personalities differ they cannot escape the fact opposites attract.

Welcome to the NHK-main goals were to overcome the Otaku ways(hikimori) but somewhere along the lines feelings got involved; though dont expect much romance

thats all i can think of atm
Old 2008-08-03, 06:26   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Crest of the Stars was the first show to come to my mind as well. Here are a few more with similar pairings:

Planetes - the main couple work as space trash collectors
Yakushiji Ryoko - now airing; the woman is a sexy police inspector with a male assistant; fun but silly
Nodame Cantabile - perhaps; a bit more romance but the real focus is on personal growth
Black Lagoon - though Revy and Rock work in a foursome, their relationship motivates the show
Ergo Proxy - the latter half of the show focuses on the journey of Vincent and Real (and Pino!)
REC - it's not quite as romantic as it first appears
Abenobashi Magical Shopping Arcade - okay, so they're 12-yo childhood friends, but they have the relationshp you describe

I didn't finish Allison to Lillia, but that might fit the bill as well.

If you like shows about relationships, watch Kure-nai.
Old 2008-08-03, 08:56   Link #5
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Wow, i cant believe nobody said Code Geass. The characters fit those descriptions nicely. There is also Shakugan no Shana. Soul Eater is another good choice.

As well as seconding Fate/Stay Night and Clannad.
Old 2008-08-03, 12:46   Link #6
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I immediately thought of Seirei no Moribito, although the romance there is very vague.
Old 2008-08-03, 13:38   Link #7
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Approves: Soul Eater, one of the best anime this season, relationship between partners is the main factor for character development. Clannad, for great emotional scenes and upcoming 2nd season. Code Geass for its amazing plot advancements. And NHK simply because its a must watch for any otaku or otaku-to-be.

Adds Eureka 7, the plot directly centrals around the relationship between the male lead Renton and female lead Eureka.

And Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu. The world might have remained a boring place if Haruhi never met Kyon. But since they met, the world might end if they parted ways.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-08-05, 05:30   Link #8
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

Mahoraba heartful days (I recommend this to everyone)

ouran host club
special A
Old 2008-08-05, 13:48   Link #9
cerrian

A classic example of a double act would be Lovely Complex. Tall girl, short guy, known for their comedic fights.

Other notable mentions include Zero no Tsukaima, Kaze no Stigma, and Kure-nai.

My recommendations would be Crest/Banner of the Stars, Nodame Cantible, and Kure-nai.
Old 2008-08-08, 21:16   Link #10
Onchuu_Norin
Clandestine Otaku

Cool

Erementar Gerad
Zegapain
Eureka Seven
Inuyasha
Black Lagoon
Pilot Candidate
Busou Renkin
Closed Thread