AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-03, 12:58   Link #721
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Jansen View Post
Kanba's penguin is really evil, isn't he?

1. Anyone have a clue what the floating stars mean? They floated across Himari's bedroom at the start of Ep 1. The floated out of the toilet (!) that Ringo just used at the start of Ep 2. They floated across the kitchen scene with Ringo and Himari early in Ep 3 (but NOT across the skunk v. cat bit that interleaves with Himari/Ringo). Are these the same stars that show up as earrings on the Double H/magazine/ED girls?
There's nothing wrong with being a pervert! #1 is a pretty cool penguin.

As for the stars, I don't think it's anything more than a stylistic effect.
Old 2011-08-03, 15:55   Link #722
JediNight
キズランダム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Not everyone in the world follows an abrahamic religion... and certainly not the japanese
It has nothing to do with following a religion. The Japanese name-drop various mythos in shows all the time.

Appleseed uses Greek mythos. Evangelion used various religious symbolism for no other reason than they said it looked cool. Blue Exorcist. Chrono Crusade. Wolfwood from Trigun. Etc etc...
Old 2011-08-03, 18:23   Link #723
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
In the OP there is a black penguin. Do the penguins have magical powers besides being invisible, like shape-shifting ?
I think that they're not really invisible. They seem to work more like the perception filters in Doctor Who: people may be able to see them, but their brains refuse to process that information. That's why Ringo can't feel them normally, but when the sensation was strong enough, she could feel #1 propping her legs open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
In any case, I think the series is more about death than about fate. Or more precisely about how death affects people's lives (and their fate?). There is something about death related to Ringo too, but I can't talk about that here for obvious reasons....
For Ringo, the water motif is certainly suggestive. "Unmei" in the show probably means a lot of things, both occurrences and endpoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isegrim View Post
It means that Ikuhara is a Zukafan. There is this interview from an old Animage issue with him and Enokido, about how he dragged Enokido and Saito to the Takarazuka theater, because he wanted to show them how to use the music. Not to create a parody, but Takarazuka itself.
To complete the circle, Rose of Versailles is partially based on Takarazuka, and Utena is partially based on Rose of Versailles. Ikuhara is not only a Zukafan, but he's obviously a fan of Ikeda Riyoko, the mangaka for Rose of Versailles and Oniisama e.

Quote:
Not everyone in the world follows an abrahamic religion... and certainly not the japanese
That may be true of the Japanese in general, but Ikuhara has a tendency of drawing a lot of material from the West. In any case, he likes it when viewers read things into his works, and to do so using their own experiences and preconceptions. It's the reason why he never explains what all of the symbols work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
Hey guys, without spoiling me, can someone let me know if this is a fun series or not? I kinda watched the first episode (skipped around) and was just "wat"'-ing all over the place.
Penguindrum is the best show currently airing. And you'll like it a lot more if you are receptive to its quirky humor. I think it's also the funniest anime this year as well.
Old 2011-08-03, 18:40   Link #724
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
It has nothing to do with following a religion. The Japanese name-drop various mythos in shows all the time.

Appleseed uses Greek mythos. Evangelion used various religious symbolism for no other reason than they said it looked cool. Blue Exorcist. Chrono Crusade. Wolfwood from Trigun. Etc etc...
Indeed a tiny percentage of shows, butcher western mythology, like american cartoons

@4Tran: It's one thing to use names and symbols that westerners attach significance to them (like crosses, swastikas, and the like) and another to attach the same significance when you are free from the preconceptions of those cultures.
Old 2011-08-03, 18:59   Link #725
4Tran

Quote:
@4Tran: It's one thing to use names and symbols that westerners attach significance to them (like crosses, swastikas, and the like) and another to attach the same significance when you are free from the preconceptions of those cultures.
Japanese anime creators are prone to tossing in random mythology, German words, or the like into their works willy-nilly. But this is Ikuhara we're talking about. He purposefully put in Western-style feminism and references to the German novel Demian into Utena. That, and he lived for a while in the US. Ikuhara is neither likely to put in references because he's unaware of their significance. Moreover, I wouldn't be surprised if the apple will also turn out to be a reference to the Apple of Discord in Greek mythology as well.

Or all of our cherished theories will be dashed by the show itself. If there was no chance of getting humiliated, then it wouldn't be as fun to speculate.
Old 2011-08-03, 19:06   Link #726
Luk_008
Lelouch commands you!

I started to watch this show yesterday and it have surprised me a lot.
It has above average quality in all terms (the animation is fine with good colors and the plot seems to be original).

[撃っていいのは撃たれる覚悟のあるヤツだけだ]
by Lelouch vi Britannia
Old 2011-08-03, 19:40   Link #727
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Japanese anime creators are prone to tossing in random mythology, German words, or the like into their works willy-nilly. But this is Ikuhara we're talking about. He purposefully put in Western-style feminism and references to the German novel Demian into Utena. That, and he lived for a while in the US. Ikuhara is neither likely to put in references because he's unaware of their significance. Moreover, I wouldn't be surprised if the apple will also turn out to be a reference to the Apple of Discord in Greek mythology as well.
Agreed, it's just that usually an apple is just an apple, and a snake just a snake... granted probably some weirdo rumbled about their significance when he was in US, but other than that there is no deeper meaning

Quote:
Or all of our cherished theories will be dashed by the show itself. If there was no chance of getting humiliated, then it wouldn't be as fun to speculate.
Very true
Old 2011-08-03, 21:22   Link #728
sa547
*Author

The transliteration or pronunciation seem to made sense, after a Chinese forumer I know of said that Ping Guo meant Apple, and that's how they call Ringo.

How it struck me? Here: Penguin > Ping Guo > Ringo.

Damn. O_o
Old 2011-08-03, 21:51   Link #729
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
For Ringo, the water motif is certainly suggestive. "Unmei" in the show probably means a lot of things, both occurrences and endpoints.
I suggested on another forum that it might be because "umi" ("sea") and "unmei" ("fate") sound similar but that was shot down pretty quickly.
Old 2011-08-04, 15:58   Link #730
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

My love for Ringo rose of 600% after this episode 5

Spoiler for Fabulous Ringo:

Edit : Does somebody else hear the "Daddy issue" song during the last scene? I-I'm not imagining that, right?
Old 2011-08-04, 18:17   Link #731
Woland
Latin Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
Edit : Does somebody else hear the "Daddy issue" song during the last scene? I-I'm not imagining that, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVkgdvP3vyY
Old 2011-08-05, 00:46   Link #732
Jarmel

Wouldn't getting dragged at over 20mph leave you a bloody mess?

Either way this was a great episode.
Old 2011-08-05, 00:50   Link #733
Blaat

Fantastic episode.
Spoiler for episode 5:
Quote:
Err novel spoilers, that has not been revealed in the series it self.
Old 2011-08-05, 01:08   Link #734
4Tran

Mawaru Penguindrum 5

It's no surprise that this is yet another awesome episode. What does surprise me is how everything seems so fresh and unique. There's still no way to figure out what will happen the next episode except for more awesome.
Old 2011-08-05, 01:10   Link #735
Slick_rick

Best episode so far. The music in this episode was nice, every other scene seemed to have some awesome background music. Some really funny moments and more penguin antics.

Ringo is crazier than ever. I can believe she clawed her way back up that tube. Guess she really took being called a slut, bitch, and a whore by the Penguin Queen a bit personally.

Kanba and Penguin 1 make a great team, saving the day after doing some shady stuff right before. Loved some of Himari expressions while she listened to Sho and Ringo argue.

Sadly no PenguinDrum next week...
Old 2011-08-05, 01:24   Link #736
Forsaken_Infinity

I absolutely loved how Himari is like the silent observer - she pays absolutely no heed to some pretty shady conversation between her bro and her friend happening right in front of her. I can't tell if she is faking it or not but I know for sure that faking that would be among the hardest things to pull off for anyone.
And Kanba is absolutely the man alright. Such a boss.
edit: Actually, he's the real "Fabulous Max"

Last edited by Forsaken_Infinity; 2011-08-05 at 01:46.
Old 2011-08-05, 02:47   Link #737
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Definitely a step up over last week. A more serious ep with real plot development was needed, IMHO, and I really think the penguin cutaways are much funnier when it's darker stuff they're cut away from.

I definitely feel more empathy for Kanba and Ringo after this week, and Himari was indeed great with those faces during the Shouma-Ringo silliness. And those names Hat-Himari called her - oh, to have been in the writer's room as those were being tossed about...
Old 2011-08-05, 03:25   Link #738
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Err novel spoilers, that has not been revealed in the series it self.
I'm not familiar with the novel, at all. It was pretty clear in the episode :
Spoiler for Natsume (ep 05):
Old 2011-08-05, 03:27   Link #739
Blaat

^Woah I need to pay closer attention, my bad!
Old 2011-08-05, 04:59   Link #740
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was such an amazing episode. It was awesome to finally see someone standing up to the Princess (all that trash talking would have pissed me off too); Ringo is wonderful~
I'm happy Ringo is in on the secret now. I figured she'd find out about it sooner or later, but I didn't think it'd be that soon.

And yes, Kanba is the man. I told you he was boss. His father was a great man as well (in fact, Kanba is trying to follow in his footsteps) which makes it very hard to believe he would abandon his children. Something else has to have happened to him.

Quote:
My love for Ringo rose of 600% after this episode 5

I'm thinking the same regarding Yuri. It's just too much of a coincidence that she's always there to cockblock Ringo at the exact right time.

Natsume is FABULOUS MAX! Horie Yui <3

Tags
drama, ikuhara, penguin, stalking, supernatural, surrealism