AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2022-10-14, 14:37   Link #41
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
My issue with the series is that I heard a lot of people complaining that as protagonist Ataru is way worse than Makoto from School Days or Tooya from White Album.
So basically people complaining that the protagonist cheats on his girlfriend?
Can't really help them if that is the problem

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-14, 15:00   Link #42
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
IMO Ataru is mid, Makoto is a horndog clown & Tooya is surprisingly relatable, especially if you're being approached by such sexy agent/manager .
The thing with Ataru is that the world treats him worse than he deserves so it makes him easier to take.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-14, 15:22   Link #43
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
So basically people complaining that the protagonist cheats on his girlfriend?
Can't really help them if that is the problem
Are they even dating? It seems like he screws up right when she's about to go out with him .
Old 2022-10-14, 16:00   Link #44
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Ataru never got the eternal gratitude he deserved for saving the Earth. And I forgot how brutal his mother was, always saying she wishes he'd never been born.
The idea here is that Ataru is the most unluckiest person in the world, right down to him being born on April 13th (4 and 13 being known as unlucky numbers) on a Friday and in the middle of an earthquake. Add the fact that he's a pervert, and of course people are not going to like him.

Quote:
My issue with the series is that I heard a lot of people complaining that as protagonist Ataru is way worse than Makoto from School Days or Tooya from White Album.
Not familiar with White Album. However, when comparing Ataru with Makoto, Makoto is definitely much worse IMO. At least Ataru has some positive traits (and is stopped from doing the deed).
Old 2022-10-14, 18:32   Link #45
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Ataru is funny, but I guess that's mostly because he's constantly cockblocked.

He's very contradictory though. He was super fired up about marrying Shinobu but is against marrying an 11/10 alien like Lum. And it's not like he actually loves Shinobu, he looked at another girl not even five seconds after promising her he wouldn't cheat on her.
Old 2022-10-14, 20:25   Link #46
Frontier

Quote:
Ataru is funny, but I guess that's mostly because he's constantly cockblocked.

He's very contradictory though. He was super fired up about marrying Shinobu but is against marrying an 11/10 alien like Lum. And it's not like he actually loves Shinobu, he looked at another girl not even five seconds after promising her he wouldn't cheat on her.
I think he does have genuine feelings for Shinobu since she seems to be the girl he always turns back to compared to other women...he's just too horny to completely ignore other women .

I guess it could be that Shinobu is like a "forbidden fruit" to him that he wants get a taste of...
Old 2022-10-14, 20:27   Link #47
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Are they even dating? It seems like he screws up right when she's about to go out with him .
The funny thing about cheating and NTR is that they don't have to actually be dating for it to be considered "cheating", to the audience, anyways
It's weird, yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
Not familiar with White Album. However, when comparing Ataru with Makoto, Makoto is definitely much worse IMO. At least Ataru has some positive traits (and is stopped from doing the deed).
There are a couple of EDs in School Days where Makoto stands up for himself/the girl. But to the end, he is just a fairly realistic high school boy, so he only has as many positive traits as a normal high school boy.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-14, 21:53   Link #48
Frontier

Quote:
The funny thing about cheating and NTR is that they don't have to actually be dating for it to be considered "cheating", to the audience, anyways
It's weird, yeah
It definitely seems like Shinobu expects Ataru to be faithful for her to even give him the time of day .
Old 2022-10-15, 04:02   Link #49
ryllharu

But Shinobu actually is interested in him against all odds because she was pushing back against Lum during the phone jamming vignette just like he was and later even went out in the super thunderstorm to go to him.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-15, 10:09   Link #50
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
He's very contradictory though. He was super fired up about marrying Shinobu but is against marrying an 11/10 alien like Lum.
That is not contradictory, that is merely racist.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-15, 18:47   Link #51
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
That is not contradictory, that is merely racist.
My man Ataru doesn't discriminate. Anyone with boobs and a vagina is fair game. Except Lum because otherwise the story would end after 1 episode.
Old 2022-10-15, 19:22   Link #52
Frontier

Quote:
My man Ataru doesn't discriminate. Anyone with boobs and a vagina is fair game. Except Lum because otherwise the story would end after 1 episode.
You can even see this in the Opening where he's flirting with every single woman he comes across and then Lum takes over .
Old 2022-10-15, 19:28   Link #53
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Ugh, I was hoping my memory of the few episodes I saw of the original many years ago was faulty, but it appears not.

Is this show really largely about Lum chasing after a guy she barely knows who's chasing after another woman/women?

I found the first episode kind of tedious, and didn't care for most of the characters.
Old 2022-10-16, 04:33   Link #54
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Ugh, I was hoping my memory of the few episodes I saw of the original many years ago was faulty, but it appears not.

Is this show really largely about Lum chasing after a guy she barely knows who's chasing after another woman/women?

I found the first episode kind of tedious, and didn't care for most of the characters.
That's pretty much how I remembered it too. There's much better Rumiko out there.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-16, 06:54   Link #55
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That's pretty much how I remembered it too. There's much better Rumiko out there.
I'm probably going to skip this one then. To bad we couldn't have gotten a remake of Maison Ikkoku. I remember liking the little bit I read years ago.
Old 2022-10-16, 07:51   Link #56
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Or Ranma 1/2.
Old 2022-10-16, 07:56   Link #57
ryllharu

Ranma 1/2 does a lot of the same things that Urusei Yatsura does, perhaps more cohesively within the narrative, but the framework, setup, and execution are very much the same.

Shampoo's entire arc is Urusei Yatsura.

And much of the Anything Goes School of Martial Arts or the stupid competitions they get wrapped up in are the same prideful nonsense at its core.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-16, 08:06   Link #58
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Yeah, Shampoo from Ranma is pretty much Lum 2.0.

And yes, this episode is pretty much a sufficient representation of UY in general. It can still improve after this but I won't hold my breath. If you feel like running the other way after this episode then by all means: start running. It's the safer choice if you don't want to gamble with your time.
Old 2022-10-16, 13:22   Link #59
gral

Quote:
There are a couple of EDs in School Days where Makoto stands up for himself/the girl. But to the end, he is just a fairly realistic high school boy, so he only has as many positive traits as a normal high school boy.
Makoto is highly... mutable, depending on the end of School Days you get. In a few, he's sympathetic, even deserving of pity. In others, he ranges from insensitive to scum. When you take the supplementary material(other games) into account, Makoto becomes lower than scum.

Ataru is far more consistent in his portrayal than Makoto.
gral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-16, 17:33   Link #60
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
Ranma 1/2 does a lot of the same things that Urusei Yatsura does, perhaps more cohesively within the narrative, but the framework, setup, and execution are very much the same.

Shampoo's entire arc is Urusei Yatsura.

And much of the Anything Goes School of Martial Arts or the stupid competitions they get wrapped up in are the same prideful nonsense at its core.
Ranma 1/2 has a similar structure but it’s quite a bit cleverer and subtler (relatively speaking) than UY in my view. Rumiko was 10 years older and it showed in her writing.